Mystery Edinburgh muscle man

Fxxx the SPFL

rudi must stay
On 24/02/2018 at 09:37, hughesie27 said:

I spotted another of Edinburgh's characters yesterday. The Walking Man was seen in Portobello by the beach walking with a young kid and a Jack Russell!

Is the walking man an old guy that walks everywhere carrying a carrier bag. See him everywhere and he looks abit mental to me, walks with a real purpose

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• luckyBatistuta

• sadj

• Fxxx the SPFL

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, been here before said:

Was he not the wee Polish/Italian dude some lowlife set alight?

Cosmo or somesuch.

This dude?

There was him but there was the guy who used to walk around bent over as if he had a bad back and always wore a mac that looked as if someone had cut it into strips with a razor. 

Samuel Camazzola
6 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Is the walking man an old guy that walks everywhere carrying a carrier bag. See him everywhere and he looks abit mental to me, walks with a real purpose

Isn't The Walking Man the guy who looks a bit like Neil Oliver? 

William H. Bonney
37 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Isn't The Walking Man the guy who looks a bit like Neil Oliver? 

Yes. Trackie bottoms and a jumper. 

11 hours ago, Cade said:

This wee guy used to patrol the streets of Leith, carrying out pretend "stick ups".

It took a fair while for people to take his original chrome plated cap guns off him and replace them with triggers from spray bottles. Didn't want the poor auld guy to get killed by the cops or anything!

latest?cb=20131229093113

I remember him knocking about at Forrest Road when I was at school in the late eighties.

10 hours ago, Tazio said:

There was him but there was the guy who used to walk around bent over as if he had a bad back and always wore a mac that looked as if someone had cut it into strips with a razor. 

Mr Penny?

The Future's Maroon

I seem to see the walking man almost every day between 5-7pm at Slateford Rd, must go through some trainers!

Sure I was told he walks the 44 bus route every day, that could be bullshit of course.

Fxxx the SPFL
5 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I seem to see the walking man almost every day between 5-7pm at Slateford Rd, must go through some trainers!

Sure I was told he walks the 44 bus route every day, that could be bullshit of course.

You could be right when i walk home from Saughton House to Trinty (i know name dropping) he usually overtakes me any where between Ardmillan and Princes Street i'm sure the lad was half decent at footie as well in his younger days. i thought i was a quick walker but this lad is a flying machine.

Rodger Mellie
17 minutes ago, ray gets bus pass soon said:

You could be right when i walk home from Saughton House to Trinty (i know name dropping) he usually overtakes me any where between Ardmillan and Princes Street i'm sure the lad was half decent at footie as well in his younger days. i thought i was a quick walker but this lad is a flying machine.

Rodger Mellie
1 minute ago, Rodger Mellie said:

Sounds like this the is the guy  I used to work beside at meadow-bank. Walks 10 miles a day to and from work. Always in a long sleeve T-shirt can’t remember him ever wearing a jacket. Used to play football with him he was decent.

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, Rodger Mellie said:

Sounds like this the is the guy  I used to work beside at meadow-bank. Walks 10 miles a day to and from work. Always in a long sleeve T-shirt can’t remember him ever wearing a jacket. Used to play football with him he was decent.

He reminds me of a guy that played football in Gala surname was Pegg not sure if it's the same guy.

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

He stayed in Tollcross. Think he passed away

Rodger Mellie
57 minutes ago, ray gets bus pass soon said:

He reminds me of a guy that played football in Gala surname was Pegg not sure if it's the same guy.

Unsure of his surname but his first name was Frank.

Rodger Mellie
17 hours ago, Cade said:

This wee guy used to patrol the streets of Leith, carrying out pretend "stick ups".

It took a fair while for people to take his original chrome plated cap guns off him and replace them with triggers from spray bottles. Didn't want the poor auld guy to get killed by the cops or anything!

latest?cb=20131229093113

Remember seeing this guy a lot down the bottom of Leith Walk, in the late nineties.

There is another guy who wanders around with long curly black hair, dressed as Michael Jackson. He has headphones in and every now and again belts out a "shamone" in true Michael Jackson form. Not seen him in a while. 

Not seen the homeless guy who used to sleep in the park on Abbey Hill/regent street. Dunno if the police and council moved him but he had some amount of gear which he used to just leave beside himself on the bench. He had this huge matted ginger beard. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

There is another guy who wanders around with long curly black hair, dressed as Michael Jackson. He has headphones in and every now and again belts out a "shamone" in true Michael Jackson form. Not seen him in a while. 

Not seen the homeless guy who used to sleep in the park on Abbey Hill/regent street. Dunno if the police and council moved him but he had some amount of gear which he used to just leave beside himself on the bench. He had this huge matted ginger beard. 

MJ is Michael Trang. Been banned from just about every nightclub and pub in the city.

Abbey Hill tramp is known as Beaver Man as his hair has matted into what looks like a beaver's tail. He was on a bench in Regent's park last week, with all his dozens of shopping bags around him.

Another classic is the Leith cyclist man. Always on a cheap rubbish old mountain bike and wearing brown rigger boots with his jeans tucked into them. Always cycling very slowly with a grim determination. Straggly blonde hair and a parka. 

Edited by Tazio

There used to be an odd ball of a woman that would walk from Cameron Toll area to Lasswade.

Blonde hair, probably I'm her 40s. Scruffy dressed.

Used to drive that way every day and saw her. Even saw her walking back in the other direction. Just doing it to fill in the day? Was most days I saw her. Haven't seen her in a while as don't drive that way now.

Sadly, there was another homeless character who was ex army. He use to beg at the top of the Waverley train station steps. Had his army number on his sign. Spoke to him quite a bit but just read he passed away recently 

??

Edited by AlimOzturk

There was an old chap who slept in the grounds of St.Cuthberts Church at the bottom of Lothian Road. He was known as 'Mr Penny' as he always made this small contribution to the collection there every Sunday.

O also remember the man with the filthy raincoat that looked like it had been shredded.

Fxxx the SPFL
58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Another classic is the Leith cyclist man. Always on a cheap rubbish old mountain bike and wearing brown rigger boots with his jeans tucked into them. Always cycling very slowly with a grim determination. Straggly blonde hair and a parka. 

Yep he come into Asda at Newhaven usually has a big padlock hanging from his trousers. 

4 hours ago, Cade said:

MJ is Michael Trang. Been banned from just about every nightclub and pub in the city.

Abbey Hill tramp is known as Beaver Man as his hair has matted into what looks like a beaver's tail. He was on a bench in Regent's park last week, with all his dozens of shopping bags around him.

Think It’s a different guy. Remember seeing Michael Trang in the subway westend and the cav. 

Say What Again
On 25/02/2018 at 10:06, AlimOzturk said:

Guy trains at the McDonald hotel gym along from the Parliament. 

That’s my club. Quite a few carachters. There’s a guy like Danny La Rue who seems to spend more time in the changing rooms.

Glad this thread cleared up the guy in the OP is definitely a Polish South African who looks Australian :lol: 

8 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Long hair, always in tracking bottoms?

Think he works as a youth counceller or something similar 

Used to see a walking man when I worked down at Holyrood in early 2000s. He would usually pass late morning walking west up Holyrood Road. We called him BOB after the Twin Peaks character due to him having longish hair and a solemn purpose (and potentially being a psychopathic murderer). Quite tall and wore boots iirc.

Fxxx the SPFL
43 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

I've not seen old Arthur the Leith Rasta in a while. Hopefully he's ok. 

Sure I saw him the other week off Ferry Rd he usually has an old football.

18 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

There used to be an odd ball of a woman that would walk from Cameron Toll area to Lasswade.

Used to drive that way every day and saw her. Even saw her walking back in the other direction. Just doing it to fill in the day? Was most days I saw her. Haven't seen her in a while as don't drive that way now.

I think I know who you mean, she used to walk right out to Bonnyrigg.  For the first couple of years whenever I saw her she would stop every 20 yards or so and look straight up at the sky.  This then changed to her looking down and holding her head.  A few of us were talking about her at work one day and someone said they had been told that she suffered from bad migraines and walking helped with it.  Haven't seen her for a few years now.

5 minutes ago, AWM said:

I think I know who you mean, she used to walk right out to Bonnyrigg.  For the first couple of years whenever I saw her she would stop every 20 yards or so and look straight up at the sky.  This then changed to her looking down and holding her head.  A few of us were talking about her at work one day and someone said they had been told that she suffered from bad migraines and walking helped with it.  Haven't seen her for a few years now.

Yep that's her.

Probably last saw her 2 years ago as moved house and don't drive that way now.

On 2/25/2018 at 03:57, luckyBatistuta said:

I see this guy everywhere, he wears a furry hat a lot these days. Best to steer clear as he’s a real hot head, seen him lose it and attack someone once. Also seen him quite a few times shouting at folk, got some serious anger issues. 

Wait, ginger hair and popcorn teeth??? :)

Joking aside - I see this guy quite a bit, backpack on and carries a bottle of cloudy shit, looks absolutely mental.  Even if his house was on fire I'd be too scared to chap his door.

Edited by Armageddon

2 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

I've not seen old Arthur the Leith Rasta in a while. Hopefully he's ok. 

He's now living in sheltered accommodation after being taken off the streets with a really bad virus a couple of years ago.

His dreads all got cut off so you may not recognise him

Edited by Cade

Cheers Cade, glad to hear that he's being looked after.  

He used to sleep in the doorway of Majestic Wines on Leith Walk, which was ironic given he is teetotal. 

He's a lovely old bloke who would get wound up if anyone tried to offer him anything. "Thank you, but I'm not a beggar."

There's a chap who occasionally sits on the pavement next to John Lewis. Looks reasonably well kept (not sure if he's homeless). Probably about 50, grey long hair in a pony tail. Usually sits and had some bangle/bracelet in his hand.

Occasionally when I get the train in to work I walk down from Waverley and see him.

48 minutes ago, Les Izemore said:

He used to sleep in the doorway of Majestic Wines on Leith Walk, which was ironic given he is teetotal. 

He's a lovely old bloke who would get wound up if anyone tried to offer him anything. "Thank you, but I'm not a beggar."

He used to come into a little cafe I frequented on Leith Walk and get a free takeaway for his lunch every day. A couple objected to him being there as he was politely waiting for his food and the women who worked in the cafe very abruptly told them if they didn't like it they could leave as he was a regular. 

Sawdust Caesar
21 hours ago, Tazio said:

Is that the one who sometimes carries a motorbike helmet on his arm even though he rides a pedal bike?

There is a guy I've seen quite a lot of lately who always wears a short-sleeved shirt without a jumper or jacket in any weather. He usually gets on a bus at York Place but I saw him last night at the Haymarket tram stop still only in short sleeves. He is quite fat but not morbidly obese or anything but I don't think that extra layer of blubber will means he doesn't feel the cold. I don't know if he does it to look cool, maybe he is going through some kind of male menopause and is suffering from hot flushes.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

He used to come into a little cafe I frequented on Leith Walk and get a free takeaway for his lunch every day. A couple objected to him being there as he was politely waiting for his food and the women who worked in the cafe very abruptly told them if they didn't like it they could leave as he was a regular. 

Was that the Seabreeze cafe?

No, one block further up, little tiny place next to Stories the bakers. I used to go in on my day off as you could get a 3 course home cooked meal and a mug of tea for less than £3. Not surprisingly it was normally full of pensioners.

It should have been ten
On 25/02/2018 at 11:24, Tazio said:

It's amazing that so many Edinburgh street people going all the way back to when I was a kid have been rumoured to be wealthy but eccentric. 

Yes that’s so true 

It should have been ten
On 25/02/2018 at 19:54, Peebo said:

I wonder if his old man used to walk about dressed as a tramp/Andy Capp, carrying multiple carrier bags? 

I remember him, if you’re on about the wee Italian guy with the cap and long grey coat. Used to see people shout “PAPA” to him and he’d start shouting back in Italian, he’d go daft at them while he carried on walking. Seen him raking bins a few times and drinking out of any cans he found lying around. Remember the Evening News writing a story about him when he passed away and how he ended up in Edinburgh from Italy, seem to recall it was a sad story to do with the war.

Also remember the “homeless” black rasta guy who would hang about down Leith Walk. Heard from many people he wasn’t homeless at all and actually had a big house. He didn’t look like he missed many meals tbh.

He was rumoured to be loaded but liked living as a tramp - if true it’s no wonder he chose to hung about Leith!

Strangest one I recall was the nutty woman that would appear from nowhere, come up to your face and say “Jesus loves you”. She done it a few times to us over the years. My Mum would just laugh but the wifey genuinely gave me the fear.

Edited by It should have been ten

It should have been ten
On 25/02/2018 at 21:55, Pennywise said:

Anyone mind a guy that walked around the gorgie area, always seen him when I was at school, sort of a Santa looking guy. Grey/black beard, bit portly. Always wore a big blue Umbro padded jacket and a wee matching man bag. He was another mental millionaire apparently!

Surely you mean this guy..

:clyay:

Nah jokes aside, if it’s the guy I’m thinking of he had a ‘Hagrid’ from Harry Potter sort of look about him. 

Edited by It should have been ten

It should have been ten
17 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Thats the guy I was in about in an earlier post. Was rumoured to be minted and had a big house but liked living as a tramp more. Took offence to being offered any money. 

It should have been ten
On 26/02/2018 at 00:39, Tazio said:

Bet he never stood in dog shite :peepwall:

C99751A1-3C34-4204-A937-B4A65C087D07.thumb.jpeg.594ed7ba4f03d4faad61248e5357662a.jpeg

It should have been ten
15 minutes ago, been here before said:

I posted that 3 days ago.

Keep up!

The second trivial thing you’ve got your pants wet over with me this week..

:leveinproblem:

On 2/26/2018 at 17:34, heartsfc_fan said:

Not seen her for a couple of years, used to see her between Danderhall and Sheriffhall, she would be looking up to the sky and holding the back of her head, very odd. 

been here before
2 hours ago, It should have been ten said:

The second trivial thing you’ve got your pants wet over with me this week..

:leveinproblem:

FFS aye Ive got a "problem" with you. Its such a big problem and you're so insignificant I really couldnt tell you what the other post might be that you're refering to.

If it helps any you do seem a little uptight.

It should have been ten
3 hours ago, been here before said:

FFS aye Ive got a "problem" with you. Its such a big problem and you're so insignificant I really couldnt tell you what the other post might be that you're refering to.

If it helps any you do seem a little uptight.

Uptight :laugh:

Do you ever post anything of significance or does it make you feel better to only appear to have wee digs at people's posts?

So I posted something you'd already posted 3 days ago. Sorry for not reading the full thread, hope you can forgive me.