Hearts Heritage Trail

cubanjambo

Was at the Hearts Heritage Trail with my laddie  today. Was a great Hearts experience if you want to know a lot of the relatively unknown historical treasures of Heart of Midlothian FC. You get presented on the official team bus at Tynie with a Hearts lanyard and go around Auld Reekie sampling the history of Hearts and things that were happening at those times. Very insightful and poingniant at times. The guide Jim Paris was aided by the London Hearts Supporters Club  so a lot of facts to be had, won't give away too much but precious artefacts are handled when you arrive back at museum                              -                           alright i canny help myself, one of them was the 98 cup final ba signed by Colin Cameron' :yas:         Dinnae miss it !

1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

We have an official bus?

Aye has FTH in big letters on both sides,  so the message is loud and clear when driving around Edinburgh:laugh:.

42 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Aye has FTH in big letters on both sides,  so the message is loud and clear when driving around Edinburgh:laugh:.

Last I seen Isma was pulling it.

In all seriousness. It's to me a simple but brilliant idea. There is 144 years of history at this fantastic football club. We should have been doing heritage tours years ago. When I was a laddie growing up in Edinburgh in the 60s/70s the tourist season was June to September. Nowadays it truly is all year round. Now take up might drop off during the festival and around Christmas but Jan to July and September to November we should really be sold out. Hope we give this the marketing it deserves.

I participated yesterday and found the trip interesting and enjoyable. It is well worth the money and reinforces what a great club we support. The tour guide is extremely knowledgeable and speaks from the heart. One story he told was that many years ago as a young man he followed Hearts to Dumfries for a game against Queen of the South. In the pub before the game he met some elderly Queens fans who made clear that Hearts were their second team. When asked why they explained it was because of the sacrifice of the players in first world war which they would never forget. There were many more pure gems of snippets like this.  

Hearts Heritage

AVAILABLE DATES

• Sunday 4th February
  • Sunday 11th February
  • Sunday 4th March
  • Sunday 18th March

NB:  All dates are subject to change

PRICING

• Adult ticket: £15
  • Concessions (under 18 / over 65): £10
  • Family (2 adults, 2 under 18): £40

Full Details are here

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/pages/DestinationTynecastle

• 3 months later...

Highly recommended.

Great day out. Learned a lot of small details that I never knew and being in the physical locations added context and flavour to the stories.

Free hot drinks and biscuits in the Hearts Museum at the end and a nice wee map and lanyard to take home.

:greggy:

Defo looking to do this. My German pals from the Schalke thread are planning to come in October and it would be great tickets have them do this.

i did the Schalke equivalent to this tour last week and it was a cracking wee experience. One about the famous can only be better. ☺️

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Highly recommended.

Great day out. Learned a lot of small details that I never knew and being in the physical locations added context and flavour to the stories.

Free hot drinks and biscuits in the Hearts Museum at the end and a nice wee map and lanyard to take home.

:greggy:

Did it a couple of months ago (in the snow!) and it was great. As you said, learnt loads of new wee things and really enjoyed the whole day.

On 29/01/2018 at 07:54, Sarah O said:

We have an official bus?

Little did I know...

image.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi 

Go to the Tickets Section on the Hearts website. Info on the tour is there and you can book a tour. 

Good of luck you will enjoy it. 

Hearts Heritage

There are a few places left on the Heritage Trail for

Sun 14 Sep and Sun 30 Sep

The set of dates to the end of the year are as follows. They will be available shortly through etickets. 

Heritage Trail – 10:30 from Tynecastle 11:30 from Royal Mile

Sun 21st Oct

Sun 18th Nov

Sun 9th Dec

Stadium Tour:

Sun 7 Oct 2018

13:00 + 14:30

Sun 14 Oct 2018

13:00

Fri 19 Oct 2018

14:30

Sun 21 Oct 2018

Sun 4 Nov 2018

Fri 9 Nov 2018

Sun 25 Nov 2018

Fri 7 Dec 2018

Sun 9 Dec 2018

3 hours ago, 12august1893 said:

There are a few places left on the Heritage Trail for

Sun 14 Sep and Sun 30 Sep

The set of dates to the end of the year are as follows. They will be available shortly through etickets. 

Heritage Trail – 10:30 from Tynecastle 11:30 from Royal Mile

Sun 21st Oct

Sun 18th Nov

Sun 9th Dec

Stadium Tour:

Sun 7 Oct 2018

Sun 14 Oct 2018

13:00

Fri 19 Oct 2018

Sun 21 Oct 2018

Sun 4 Nov 2018

Fri 9 Nov 2018

Sun 25 Nov 2018

Fri 7 Dec 2018

Sun 9 Dec 2018

Great thanks

so you can do the trail and tour all in one go?

4 hours ago, 3rd gen jambo said:

Hi 

Go to the Tickets Section on the Hearts website. Info on the tour is there and you can book a tour. 

Good of luck you will enjoy it. 

Cheers 

Hearts Heritage
9 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Great thanks

so you can do the trail and tour all in one go?

Yes on the 21st Oct and 9th December. The trail finishes around 14:00 in the Museum.  So book on the 14:30 Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally booked this for Sunday and dragging the better half along as she likes taking ‘interesting’ snaps with her camera. I assume that you get the bus in front of the main stand?

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Finally booked this for Sunday and dragging the better half along as she likes taking ‘interesting’ snaps with her camera. I assume that you get the bus in front of the main stand?

Yes, either at the main reception or the fans bar if it’s open. 

Hearts Heritage
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Or you can get picked up at the 'Heart of Midlothian' on the Royal Mile at 11:00.

Enjoyed the tour on Sunday and learned a bit more than I already knew. Got to see Bobby Walker’s and Tom Purdie’s graves for the first time. Bit of a ****** up with the tea and biscuits after though, so we just went to the pub. ?

B49C3784-969F-4EE5-9A80-1390194E333E.jpeg

49C11D96-D101-4B54-9276-C22E859987A4.jpeg

Tennant's  6's
44 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Enjoyed the tour on Sunday and learned a bit more than I already knew. Got to see Bobby Walker’s and Tom Purdie’s graves for the first time. Bit of a ****** up with the tea and biscuits after though, so we just went to the pub. ?

B49C3784-969F-4EE5-9A80-1390194E333E.jpeg

49C11D96-D101-4B54-9276-C22E859987A4.jpeg

I thought at the time that it would be good if the Bobby Walker gravestone could be done up in order to look better, like the Tom Purdie gravestone.

I'm sure that there was a third grave of an important person in Hearts history there as well, but I could be wrong.

Good tour though, well worth doing.

48 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

I thought at the time that it would be good if the Bobby Walker gravestone could be done up in order to look better, like the Tom Purdie gravestone.

I'm sure that there was a third grave of an important person in Hearts history there as well, but I could be wrong.

Good tour though, well worth doing.

John McCartney’s grave is there as well. He asked to be buried in the shadow of Tynecastle. This is the view from his grave. 

FAEA0526-BD3C-4DC4-9F0B-8523DF004091.jpeg

Ironic that Leslie Deans ( former chairman ) now owns where Ma Anderson’s pub was. Hearts and their opponents changed here before walking over to the Meadows to play the match. They changed upstairs. 

Apparently, a plaque is to be installed next to the Meadows ( at Boroughloch ) to commemorate the first Hearts v Hibs derby. 

AB69B9C1-0BB9-4C68-BE2B-00DF5D989F3D.jpeg

I noticed this before, and I find it very weird. There is a Hearts tour this Sunday 7th at 1pm and 2:30. We have a game against 3:00 the same day against Rangers. If you’re not there, you will be watching the game on the telly. Why would they have a tour when we’re playing live, seems daft to me. 

On 02/10/2018 at 17:23, daftie said:

I noticed this before, and I find it very weird. There is a Hearts tour this Sunday 7th at 1pm and 2:30. We have a game against 3:00 the same day against Rangers. If you’re not there, you will be watching the game on the telly. Why would they have a tour when we’re playing live, seems daft to me. 

...it’s not on the ( legally available ) telly. 

On 02/10/2018 at 17:23, daftie said:

Tours have been re-scheduled due to clashing with games on the same day before, and I'm sure this will be the case with this game.

• 1 month later...
On 14/09/2018 at 03:27, 12august1893 said:

Yes on the 21st Oct and 9th December. The trail finishes around 14:00 in the Museum.  So book on the 14:30 Tour.

Considering going on the 9th to this

are there still tickets left?

3 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Considering going on the 9th to this

are there still tickets left?

I could check the Hearts ticket website for you but I am pretty sure you are capable of doing that yourself...

From Tynie to St Giles to Dumbiedykes to Southside to The Meadows to Logie Green to Usher Hall to Haymarket to Merchistonback to Tynie.

Not too much walking; the longest walk is from the Southside to The Meadows, only a couple of hundred yards, following the route the first players took from their changing rooms in the back room of a coffee house to the playing fields.
Rest of the time you don't stray far from the coach at all.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

From Tynie to St Giles to Dumbiedykes to Southside to The Meadows to Logie Green to Usher Hall to Haymarket to Merchistonback to Tynie.

Not too much walking; the longest walk is from the Southside to The Meadows, only a couple of hundred yards, following the route the first players took from their changing rooms in the back room of a coffee house to the playing fields.
Rest of the time you don't stray far from the coach at all.

Great thanks 

Is there a live guide when on the bus or is it prerecorded?

7 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

I could check the Hearts ticket website for you but I am pretty sure you are capable of doing that yourself...

Funny guy

12 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Great thanks 

Is there a live guide when on the bus or is it prerecorded?

Live guide, and very well informed too, with additional photo albums to pass around during the speech at each stop.

It's very well put together and goes into great depth.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Live guide, and very well informed too, with additional photo albums to pass around during the speech at each stop.

It's very well put together and goes into great depth.

Thabks

And it says it ends at the museum - do you get a tour round the museum too?

13 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Thabks

Go on it and find out yourself Ffs. I'll pay if it'll shut you up. 

Any Saints hanging around to give JiH the tour ?

32 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Thabks

You tour yourself around the museum. 

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Hot drinks and biccies in the museum at the end, where you're free to roam around as long as you want.

What kind of hot drink and biscuit do you get?

1 hour ago, Oliver Twist said:

Go on it and find out yourself Ffs. I'll pay if it'll shut you up. 

Any Saints hanging around to give JiH the tour ?

:biggrin2: