• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peter_hmfc

• Sharpie

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Internet

been here before

The simple answer is more guns. That way the good people with guns can protect themselves from the bad people with guns.

It's really that simple.

Go USA!

Kinder eggs and Haggis are both banned in the US fas they are deemed hazardous to the health of Americans. Yet, walking round with a Semi automatic weapon on your isn't . 

:rofl:

Beyond help that country. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Round in circles we go.

Politically, i’d like our government to be much more outspoken about the laws in the US. The situation over there is scandalous

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

The latest count is 17 dead, 5 more with life-threatening wounds.

There is nothing to be said that hasn't been said many times before.  Gun violence is a disease in the USA, and no-one is interested in curing it.  Politicians think that all they need to do is offer their TAPs then move back to their petty, self-serving squabbling.  This incident, like all the others before it, will be out of the news in a few days.

It's an ongoing tragedy that plays out on a daily basis in the schools, night clubs, churches, and streets of America.  On an average day, 85 Americans die from gun violence, and nobody cares enough to do anything about it.

Jesus

7 hours ago, peter_hmfc said:

In response to the above (luckyBatistuta), I actually wonder what their reaction would be if you walked through those places openly carrying a knife.

It's my prediction that under Trumps presidency there will be a mass-shooting so bad it will that nothing will compare to it for a long time. Parkland isn't it, Vegas might have been, but I think Vegas will be beaten significantly under Trumps time. Nothing will be done, and it will end the gun debate for decades.

Unfortunately you could very well be right about that.

I hate to say it, but it almost seems like it's a competition or a badge of honour to kill as many people as you can now, and American law has provided them with the means to do it.

What's the solution, there's none now, that ship sailed years ago, the time to have done something and step back from the abyss was right after Sandy Hook but as per usual $$$$$$$ ruled the day.  

Sexton Hardcastle

Take a knee in major sports to protest racism and there’s uproar.

Another dozen or so kids gunned down and it’s business as usual.

22 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Take a knee in major sports to protest racism and there’s uproar.

Another dozen or so kids gunned down and it’s business as usual.

Thanks, Sexton. I've just taken your post and quoted it on Facebook, to hopefully give just the tiniest sliver of perspective to my diseased countrymen.

In full:

The most poignant thing I read, written by a Scot, on the latest (of 18 this year) school shooting in the United States:

"Take a knee in major sports to protest racism and there’s uproar.

"Another dozen or so kids gunned down and it’s business as usual."

I really, truly, honestly despise the American political landscape, American priorities in general, and the people who willfully contribute to this idiocracy. The worst part is, you know who you are, and you are utterly shameless. So I'll be ashamed for you.

On 1/23/2018 at 23:20, milky_26 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42797684

15 year old student in custody, 2 15 year olds dead, 17 further injured

Yaay.

Another example of the end potential of an outdated moronic right to bear arms.

the people who buy guns, promote guns, vote for candidates who 'protect their right to own guns', the NRA, the gun manufacturers, the policy makers, the lobbyists etc.

Utter idiots.

Anyone arguing needs to have a wee cosy chat to the parents of one of the dead kids (any of them from the last 50 years).

Mac_fae_Gillie
8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Kinder eggs and Haggis are both banned in the US fas they are deemed hazardous to the health of Americans. Yet, walking round with a Semi automatic weapon on your isn't . 

:rofl:

Beyond help that country. 

OK so now I need to google the UK death rate from Kinder eggs and Haggis.. thx

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Unfortunately you could very well be right about that.

I hate to say it, but it almost seems like it's a competition or a badge of honour to kill as many people as you can now, and American law has provided them with the means to do it.

Seung-Hui Cho wanted to out-shoot Columbine, while Adam Lanza wanted to outshoot Seung-Hui Cho. Stephen Paddock clearly wanted to maximise the damage so opened fire on a crowd of 22,000 people.

I think the fact they have a "Top 10" only makes it worse, there will be people out there who want a place on that leaderboard. Getting revenge on one person who severely annoyed them won't be as enticing as going postal and taking out as many as you can for a top 10 spot.

On another note, it's quite funny seeing pro-gun people jump to the "too early to talk" and "don't politicise it" lines... the same people who would claim every Islamic attack as showing instant need of change.

Edited by peter_hmfc

This is actually from November.

First shipment of thoughts and prayers for school shooting victims arrive in Florida

ED583306-C0D8-4816-8E5C-45321B990B0A.jpe

“If a Muslim is the shooter, it’s kinda different, the NRA and various Tea Party supporters have told us they’ll get us really great new thoughts and prayers – problem is, we’ve only had 377 multiples this year, so no Muslim has really had a chance to carry out a mass shooting.”

“We don’t use the word ‘terrorist’ until we check with the White House, they get really pissed if we say that. So far, none of the shootings have been terrorist attacks, apparently we have a problem with lone wolves and a shortage of guns, which is great. Imagine if these were terror attacks. We’d be f***ed.”

Edited by Justin Z

39 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

All aboot the moolah.

Blood on their hands, every last one of them.

All the people on that list say they are praying for or are sending their prayers to the victims, well by that I assume they are religious, and if that is the case, then I sincerely hope, that if there is a heaven and eternal life then they have to, everyday, from the moment they die, until eternity, face the victims of these mass shootings, the children and every minute of every day are asked why?  why did you do nothing?  why did I have to die so you could get rich? why?  why?  why?

Its funny what goes around comes around.  On a recent thread I commented on how at times a mother would call you in off the street to speak to her son. She would relate he does nothing I tell him, steals money from my purse, and skips school.  The hope was that the sized alone of this male assistant, with the added intimidaion of the uniform and the stern talk would help, as reported then it didn't.  Watching the news this morning I read that the individual who done the shooting was depressed due to the recent death of his mother.  The story went on that she had often called the police to talk to him as he was a disciplinary problem at home and school. Obviously just as in my own case quite often the counselling failed.

Despite all his problems his history of troubles, he was never convicted of a criminal offence, never declared to have a mental disorder, and succesfully completed the required forms to legally buy guns.  Despite this there are now students coming forward to say that they had dealt with him and he was not someone they wanted to relate to, did any of them tell their teachers, parents or anyone else, if so did anyone do anything, probably not, and I totally understand why not, in general we are all afraid to be the one who calls a false alarm, we can criticise, one of our highest abilities,  but we all fail at some point, unfortunately some more than others.

Last night I watched Canucks play Florida, a token silence was observed before the pre game playing as at every game National Anthems, it makes one think when you hear the words Home of the Brave, and Land of the Free, that you watch the news the next morning and a parent of schoolchildren is advocating more armed school security and possibly even teachers.  It seems it is now the case that you have to be brave to go to school, and have to have armed personnel to keep you free.

What a tragedy, what an awful situation, and the most tragic and awful consequence is that no change will be made and we will all be harping on again the next time.

Edited by bobsharp

One of the sad aspects that I'm coming across is numerous comments on the internet from pro-gun folk arguing that the incident happened because of the Democrats etc. creating "safe areas" like schools where guns aren't allowed, and that getting rid of those areas by allowing folk to carry guns there would alleviate the problem.

And the thing is, they seem to actually believe it.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

One of the sad aspects that I'm coming across is numerous comments on the internet from pro-gun folk arguing that the incident happened because of the Democrats etc. creating "safe areas" like schools where guns aren't allowed, and that getting rid of those areas by allowing folk to carry guns there would alleviate the problem.

And the thing is, they seem to actually believe it.

Also reading these same folk saying that it’s only criminals that shoot guns at people and it’s not the fault of the vast majority of gun owners, they really don’t get it.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Just on Adam Lanza, I was always under the impression he had pretty serious mental health issues (severe autism/OCD) and the gun was his mum's. But I've seen on this thread he was a gun nut, just a quiet kid gone bad, and that he wanted to be biggest gun rampage killer. Where is that coming from? Genuinely interested btw. I have a interest in Lanza from an autism perspective. 

17 minutes ago, Barack said:

Donald telling us, that Mental Health will be his administrations’ top priority.

Excellent news. 

Always find it it amazing, how these “mentally ill” people manage to evade detection by local, state, & Federal authorities in the lead up to events. Plan meticulously their crimes, carry them out whilst carrying an arsenal purchased with no checks, that a South American Guerilla would be proud of. Then, in some cases, evade the same authorities for over 24-48 hours at a time.

These “mental people” are indeed your No.1 target, President Trump. I look forward to your legislation passing through Congress.

supposedly the fbi were warned about hom

Trained at a white supremacist camp. And multiple students, on the day that it happened, were like, "yeah, he's the one we figured it would always be."

It's a mental health problem alright -- the disease of white supremacy. 

2 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Just on Adam Lanza, I was always under the impression he had pretty serious mental health issues (severe autism/OCD) and the gun was his mum's. But I've seen on this thread he was a gun nut, just a quiet kid gone bad, and that he wanted to be biggest gun rampage killer. Where is that coming from? Genuinely interested btw. I have a interest in Lanza from an autism perspective. 

Is autism a mental health issue? It's not a disease, you can't catch it or be cured of it, you don't develop it at a point during your life. It's not like depression, OCD, anxiety etc, it can never go away, you're born with it you live with it and you die with it.

Genuine question btw

It seems simple, arm the teachers so they can fight back . Train them in counter terrorism . No requirement for any civilian to own an assault rifle . 

Was chatting with a lad at work who was denied a shotgun permit for vermin control on his mums land . Due to being within a certain distance Of a small industrial estate . Grounds being if he aimed high or over shot for any reason there was a risk of injury to others . So it couldn’t be justified . 

It’s crazy a teenager can legally get hold of  an AR in the states legally !!

17 minutes ago, auldy19 said:

It seems simple, arm the teachers so they can fight back . Train them in counter terrorism .

Yet the armed guard at this school missed the entire thing.

As an update, the claim by white supremacist militant group Republic of Florida that the shooter had trained with them may be a false claim to try to get attention. (Which in and of itself is sick on a level I can't even begin to get my head around.)

CavySlaveJambo
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Is autism a mental health issue? It's not a disease, you can't catch it or be cured of it, you don't develop it at a point during your life. It's not like depression, OCD, anxiety etc, it can never go away, you're born with it you live with it and you die with it.

Genuine question btw

No, it is a neurological developmental disorder. 

Unfortunately the way it presents means that the people who diagnose it are mostly mental health professionals

SpruceBringsteen

Republican lunatics: "PRO LIFE! PRO LIFE! PRO LIFE!"

Also Republican lunatics: "YEAH BUT NOT THOSE ONES! NOT THOSE ONES!"

It's absolutely ****ing insane.

16 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

No, it is a neurological developmental disorder. 

Unfortunately the way it presents means that the people who diagnose it are mostly mental health professionals

Thanks

4 hours ago, Barack said:

Donald telling us, that Mental Health will be his administrations’ top priority.

Excellent news. 

Always find it it amazing, how these “mentally ill” people manage to evade detection by local, state, & Federal authorities in the lead up to events. Plan meticulously their crimes, carry them out whilst carrying an arsenal purchased with no checks, that a South American Guerilla would be proud of. Then, in some cases, evade the same authorities for over 24-48 hours at a time.

These “mental people” are indeed your No.1 target, President Trump. I look forward to your legislation passing through Congress.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

*Curb Your Enthusiasm theme".

alwaysthereinspirit
4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

As an update, the claim by white supremacist militant group Republic of Florida that the shooter had trained with them may be a false claim to try to get attention. (Which in and of itself is sick on a level I can't even begin to get my head around.)

Jeez Louise, is it or is it not the disease of white supremacy? I'm confused. 

12 hours ago, Tazio said:

Yet the armed guard at this school missed the entire thing.

The fact the school has an armed guard in the first place, tells you everything you need to know what is wrong in the USA. It won't be changing in this lifetime or any lifetime for that matter. That's America.

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

The fact the school has an armed guard in the first place, tells you everything you need to know what is wrong in the USA. It won't be changing in this lifetime or any lifetime for that matter. That's America.

I'm afraid you are probably right John. When there are more guns in the country than people any gun ban now would be redundant. And even if the did ban the ownership and sale of all guns tomorrow and there was a period of amnesty to hand guns in the wrong people would not be handing them in. I've no idea what the answer is but it won't come from politicians.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

46 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm afraid you are probably right John. When there are more guns in the country than people any gun ban now would be redundant. And even if the did ban the ownership and sale of all guns tomorrow and there was a period of amnesty to hand guns in the wrong people would not be handing them in. I've no idea what the answer is but it won't come from politicians.

Ban guns, no amnesty, let them drain from circulation as guns break, get lost, confiscated or rusty.

Over time they'll bleed from circulation.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

An overall ban would be, yes. But controls can be instituted. First ensure that thorough background checks are carried out for all gun purchases or transfers, no matter whether these involve gun shops, trade fairs or Craigslist. Make those checks more thorough, doubly so for those with convictions and/or any mental health problems in their history. Introduce categories of people who cannot be allowed to own guns e.g. those convicted of crimes involving guns. Tie that to a national register of gun ownership, combined with compulsory gun safety training courses. Institute heavy punishments for transgressions e.g. illegal gun ownership. Add much stricter controls for automatic or more powerful guns e.g. that these only be kept and used at official firing ranges.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

An overall ban would be, yes. But controls can be instituted. First ensure that thorough background checks are carried out for all gun purchases or transfers, no matter whether these involve gun shops, trade fairs or Craigslist. Make those checks more thorough, doubly so for those with convictions and/or any mental health problems in their history. Introduce categories of people who cannot be allowed to own guns e.g. those convicted of crimes involving guns. Tie that to a national register of gun ownership, combined with compulsory gun safety training courses. Institute heavy punishments for transgressions e.g. illegal gun ownership. Add much stricter controls for automatic or more powerful guns e.g. that these only be kept and used at official firing ranges.

That is an excellent summary of what I have been listening to on TV.  There is no serious clamor to ban guns,  t6here is however a serious move not to allow ownership of the type of weapon that was used in this most recent incident and others including Vegas.

There is also quite a comprehensive call for Trump to just once use the proliferation of guns in the United States as the root of this scourge  in his speeches and presentations.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

There are two problems with implementing any form of gun controls in the USA.

First, the politicians don't want any as many are under obligation to the NRA, and they hide that bias behind the outdated wording of the Second Amendment.

Second, there is little desire for gun controls among the general population.  People have been hoodwinked into believing that they need guns for their own protection.  

For those reasons, banning guns will never happen, and even tightening access to guns is highly unlikely, especially under Republican governments.  There is a mutual love affair between the NRA and Republicans.

12 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Jeez Louise, is it or is it not the disease of white supremacy? I'm confused. 

Doesn't take much to confuse you, does it?

2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The generally accepted solution to this is the Australian model of a buyback.

8 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

There are two problems with implementing any form of gun controls in the USA.

First, the politicians don't want any as many are under obligation to the NRA, and they hide that bias behind the outdated wording of the Second Amendment.

Second, there is little desire for gun controls among the general population.  People have been hoodwinked into believing that they need guns for their own protection.  

For those reasons, banning guns will never happen, and even tightening access to guns is highly unlikely, especially under Republican governments.  There is a mutual love affair between the NRA and Republicans.

Gun control polls very well among the general populace, but the minority of gun nuts vote on gun control and nothing else. (I had a coworker who openly admitted that he voted for whomever the NRA told him to.)  So Republicans pay a huge penalty if they don't toe the line, and there's less of a bonus for them if they cross it.

Likely to get pelters but I think there is a problem of semantics, gun control is not a gun ban, it is to me a system whereby legitimate, reasonable people can obtain a weapon for recreational purposes for instance hunting, target shooting etc.  There is no need for availability to the general public for ownership or possession of weapons that are designed and produced specifically for military purposes.  The system of control starts with the proper process and terms of acquiring a firearm, a written form with answers that the applicant deigns to give is worthless. A sworn affidavit to trained assessors may be a consideration, a signature by a doctor or a lawyer just like passport applications may  be a thought, and of course the most important primary function is to aspire to a competent motivational program to surrender firearms that do not conform to new controls

At some point any new system must include with a face to face component so another human can make some assessment of the applicant, as has been proven in cases, and the recent F.B.I response to their actions when receiving information on the suspect, we checked all data sources to no avail, I suspect any trained law enforcement person would have seen that this man was not all there. Data don't show that.

alwaysthereinspirit
17 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Doesn't take much to confuse you, does it?

That's not the answer I was looking for but not overly surprised.

Your supercilious, pompous attitude has been your norm on here lately.

16 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

The generally accepted solution to this is the Australian model of a buyback.

It doesn't seem like a realistic solution when there's a third of a billion legal weapons and god knows how many illegal.

We're taking about spending billions to disarm those who obey the law, but all that leaves is a huge imbalance in favour of those who don't. 

14 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Likely to get pelters but I think there is a problem of semantics, gun control is not a gun ban, it is to me a system whereby legitimate, reasonable people can obtain a weapon for recreational purposes for instance hunting, target shooting etc.  There is no need for availability to the general public for ownership or possession of weapons that are designed and produced specifically for military purposes.  The system of control starts with the proper process and terms of acquiring a firearm, a written form with answers that the applicant deigns to give is worthless. A sworn affidavit to trained assessors may be a consideration, a signature by a doctor or a lawyer just like passport applications may  be a thought, and of course the most important primary function is to aspire to a competent motivational program to surrender firearms that do not conform to new controls

At some point any new system must include with a face to face component so another human can make some assessment of the applicant, as has been proven in cases, and the recent F.B.I response to their actions when receiving information on the suspect, we checked all data sources to no avail, I suspect any trained law enforcement person would have seen that this man was not all there. Data don't show that.

Exactly, I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why any member of the General Public would need to own one of these.

image.thumb.png.69c55448eeb2358bf112282387e2d297.png

alwaysthereinspirit
12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly, I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why any member of the General Public would need to own one of these.

image.thumb.png.69c55448eeb2358bf112282387e2d297.png

There should be no argument, convincing or otherwise on why this or anything remotely alike should be sold to the public.

There are obviously people out there who will explain it to you in great detail. They'll be 100% wrong.

Its absolutely disgusting.