'Nations League' draw 24/1/2018

CJGJ

2 hours ago, johnmitchell said:

The way I see it, it's a waste of time for teams like England, Germany, Spain etc, as they're pretty much guaranteed to qualify anyway, however the lower league sides will get excited by it, as will the lower ranked teams that are in the top group that haven't qualified normally. 

Could it be possible tbough that if these teams are all ranked as top seeds for this, and they all pretty much end up qualifying for the next Euros anyway, that it means there wouldn't be a top league representative left to qualify? I know it's unlikely, but hypothetically, I think it has an outside chance of happening if they all qualify through the normal group stages. :huh2:

For the top teams it is additional competitive games against each other. The intention being that this will be more attractive to TV and fans. There will also be the overall nations league champion, so a new top tier international trophy up for grabs.

I find it hilarious that fans constantly complain about the blazers that resist change. Changes are made and the fans slate them without giving them a chance.

The Old Tolbooth
40 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

For the top teams it is additional competitive games against each other. The intention being that this will be more attractive to TV and fans. There will also be the overall nations league champion, so a new top tier international trophy up for grabs.

I find it hilarious that fans constantly complain about the blazers that resist change. Changes are made and the fans slate them without giving them a chance.

I'm very curious to see how it all pans out, especially seeing as this is in addition to the normal qualifying campaign. 

3 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

The Sept/Oct/Nov fixture dates are going to lead to a disjointed league campaign next season.

There has been international fixtures in each of these months for years now. Start of the season always the same.

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, ceefax said:

There has been international fixtures in each of these months for years now. Start of the season always the same.

Seem to recall last season being particularly bad for some reason.

16 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I'm very curious to see how it all pans out, especially seeing as this is in addition to the normal qualifying campaign. 

Sorry, meant to be clear the first half of my post was a response to you. The second half about fans complaining wasn't aimed at you, but the thread in general.

I'm supportive of efforts to replace  friendlies with competitive games and to increase the profile of the international game. Having promotion and relegation between groups seems a nice idea too. The down side seems to be that league B and potentially C won't have a real winner as if any of the group winners qualify for the euros they don't play in the play off stage. More satisfying to not only have promotion bit also a champion for each lower league as you would in a domestic set-up.

With Monday and Tuesday night home fixtures I wonder if they will consider playing these games out with Hampden given the likelihood of small crowds.......if the new pitch gets laid at Tynecastle this summer it might come into the reckoning. 

From a club football perspective this will impact 3 weekends so hopefully the SPFL in their infinite wisdom will look to pay more midweek league games earlier in the season unlike the shitshow we are currently experiencing playing a heavy schedule in late January early February.

Bazzas right boot

I'm not too sure about the whole thing, haven't read about it ( I know if you win the group you go up and get into a playoff spot to qualify, then I clocked out), but in football I tend to go with this-

Win- Good

defeat- bad

follow that and football is simple.

1 minute ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

I'm not too sure about the whole thing, haven't read about it ( I know if you win the group you go up and get into a playoff spot to qualify, then I clocked out), but in football I tend to go with this-

Win- Good

defeat- bad

Not the worst way of looking at it. In essence this 'should' increase our opportunity to qualify for Euro 2020 however we thought that when they increased Euro 2016 to 24 teams and we still made a royal arse of that!  Therefore your basic mantra of "Win - Good" is a sensible way of looking at it.  Given the Nations Cup fixtures for later this year and the scheduling of the 'normal' Euro qualification which will now be played in a lot shorter timeframe (March 2019 - October 2019) all this will definitely impact on the number of weekends club football is canned.

Riddley Walker

It is definitely a bit convoluted but it will increase our chances of getting to the Euros, that's for sure. I'd fancy us in a play-off against most of the teams.

Not sure what the point is in promotion and relegation though? Surely each campaign will just be drawn through rankings?

My understanding is that the deal was

11 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Given the Nations Cup fixtures for later this year and the scheduling of the 'normal' Euro qualification which will now be played in a lot shorter timeframe (March 2019 - October 2019) all this will definitely impact on the number of weekends club football is canned.

I'm sure the commitment was that no additional dates would be provided to international football. It simply reduces the number of friendlies European teams will play. Can't say I mind not having the opportunity to play Costa Rica.

Just now, Riddley Walker said:

Not sure what the point is in promotion and relegation though? Surely each campaign will just be drawn through rankings?

No. League of Nations to be played every two years with which league you are in being based on previous promotion and relegation. In addition I understand seedings for Euro qualifying will be based on your League of Nations placing.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Hendricks said:

Not the worst way of looking at it. In essence this 'should' increase our opportunity to qualify for Euro 2020 however we thought that when they increased Euro 2016 to 24 teams and we still made a royal arse of that!  Therefore your basic mantra of "Win - Good" is a sensible way of looking at it.  Given the Nations Cup fixtures for later this year and the scheduling of the 'normal' Euro qualification which will now be played in a lot shorter timeframe (March 2019 - October 2019) all this will definitely impact on the number of weekends club football is canned.

No doubt at the last game we'll need a scientific calculator to work out all the permutations,but until then, win - thumbs up, defeat bad.

Riddley Walker
3 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I'm sure the commitment was that no additional dates would be provided to international football. It simply reduces the number of friendlies European teams will play. Can't say I mind not having the opportunity to play Costa Rica.

No. League of Nations to be played every two years with which league you are in being based on previous promotion and relegation. In addition I understand seedings for Euro qualifying will be based on your League of Nations placing.

If your last sentence is correct then that makes it even more worthwhile.

Overall I think it's a good thing. Basically gets rid of friendlies for 2 years in every 4 year cycle. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I know they said that but I don't see how that is possible given there will need to be 8 games played for the Euro qualifiers between March and October now. I guess they may just make every weekend a double header but you factor in the need for play offs etc in that plus the Nations Cup play offs/finals it still seems unlikely.

By the way Scotland have actually announced a home friendly against Costa Rica in March!!  Also away games in Hungary (also March) and Peru and Mexico at the end of May, start of June.

7 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

If your last sentence is correct then that makes it even more worthwhile.

Overall I think it's a good thing. Basically gets rid of friendlies for 2 years in every 4 year cycle. 

From the BBC story on qualification http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42803594

"The actual qualification process for Euro 2020 has been simplified, with the top two nations in the 10 groups claiming a place in the finals.

The seedings will be determined by how teams performed in the preceding Nations League"

By my reckoning that means that the 12 tier A teams and the 8 tier B teams that avoid relegation will be in pots 1 and 2 for Euro2020 qualification.

34 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I know they said that but I don't see how that is possible given there will need to be 8 games played for the Euro qualifiers between March and October now. I guess they may just make every weekend a double header but you factor in the need for play offs etc in that plus the Nations Cup play offs/finals it still seems unlikely.

By the way Scotland have actually announced a home friendly against Costa Rica in March!!  Also away games in Hungary (also March) and Peru and Mexico at the end of May, start of June.

As I understand it, all international weekends in the FIFA calendar are now available for 'double headers', with 5 of these weekends throughout the year. Groups for Euro2020 qualifiers will be either 5 or 6 teams (55 teams across 10 groups), so 8 or 10 matches. These will be schedules into 5 double match days. Top 2 from each of 10 groups qualify. There are no play-offs from the Euro qualifier groups, only the Nations League Play Offs. So for Scotland...

Mar - Friendlies - double header against Costa Rica and Hungary

May/Jun (single weekend) - Friendlies - double header against Peru and Mexico

Sept - Nations League double header - free slot, Albania (H)

Oct - Nations League double header - Israel (A), free slot

Nov - Nations League double header - Albania (A), Israel (H)

(NB: with Scotland being in a group of three, they will technically have two free slots they could play friendlies in Sept and Oct)

Mar - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Jun - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Jun - Nations League final 4 (this is the 4 group winners from Tier A playing off in a semi-final, final to determine the overall winner of the first Nations League)

Sept - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Oct - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Nov - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

(Top 2 from each group qualify for Euro 2020.)

Mar - Nations League play-offs semi-final and final for qualification to Euro2020

(For each tier A-D, the four group winners in that tier play off with the final winner for each tier progressing to Euro2020. If a Nations League group winner has already qualified for Euro2020 they don't play in these play-offs, with their slot dropping down to another team from their tier or if all other teams from their tier have qualified the play-off place goes to the next tier down. This means the four teams that play in the Nations League final 4 in June 2019 are unlikely to also play in the tier A play-off in Mar 2020. For Scotland it means if we will play in the play-off only if we haven't already qualified for Euro2020 and either won our 2018 Nations League group or get one of the play-off lucky losers slots.)

Jun - Euro2020 - If all goes to plan we take part in our first major championships in 22 years, with games played at Hampden!

9 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

As I understand it, all international weekends in the FIFA calendar are now available for 'double headers', with 5 of these weekends throughout the year. Groups for Euro2020 qualifiers will be either 5 or 6 teams (55 teams across 10 groups), so 8 or 10 matches. These will be schedules into 5 double match days. Top 2 from each of 10 groups qualify. There are no play-offs from the Euro qualifier groups, only the Nations League Play Offs. So for Scotland...

Mar - Friendlies - double header against Costa Rica and Hungary

May/Jun (single weekend) - Friendlies - double header against Peru and Mexico

Sept - Nations League double header - free slot, Albania (H)

Oct - Nations League double header - Israel (A), free slot

Nov - Nations League double header - Albania (A), Israel (H)

(NB: with Scotland being in a group of three, they will technically have two free slots they could play friendlies in Sept and Oct)

Mar - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Jun - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Jun - Nations League final 4 (this is the 4 group winners from Tier A playing off in a semi-final, final to determine the overall winner of the first Nations League)

Sept - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Oct - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

Nov - Euro 2020 qualifier double header

(Top 2 from each group qualify for Euro 2020.)

Mar - Nations League play-offs semi-final and final for qualification to Euro2020

(For each tier A-D, the four group winners in that tier play off with the final winner for each tier progressing to Euro2020. If a Nations League group winner has already qualified for Euro2020 they don't play in these play-offs, with their slot dropping down to another team from their tier or if all other teams from their tier have qualified the play-off place goes to the next tier down. This means the four teams that play in the Nations League final 4 in June 2019 are unlikely to also play in the tier A play-off in Mar 2020. For Scotland it means if we will play in the play-off only if we haven't already qualified for Euro2020 and either won our 2018 Nations League group or get one of the play-off lucky losers slots.)

Jun - Euro2020 - If all goes to plan we take part in our first major championships in 22 years, with games played at Hampden!

Great post. Very informative. Cheers!!

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
2 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Win- Good

defeat- bad

A simple game so they say. 

My main worry about this is that Israel and Albania are right out of the big book of unfashionable teams against whom Scotland are guaranteed to struggle. We generally hold our own against the bigger sides, and our attempts to qualify for finals are sabotaged by games against teams like Georgia and Lithuania.

On paper we should do well against both. In practice...

Archived