'Nations League' draw 24/1/2018

CJGJ

Is the Uefa Nations League a complicated irrelevance? Or is it the best route some of the home nations have of reaching Euro 2020?

England, Wales and Northern Ireland might baulk at that suggestion, given all three were at the finals in France in 2016, but would they all be entirely confident of finishing in the top two places in a five- or six-team group to earn qualification in the usual way?

The Scottish FA is being more circumspect. With its focus sharpened by Hampden hosting four Euro 2020 tournament matches, it is selling Uefa's new competition - one which will effectively replace most international friendlies - to sceptical fans as a way of ending what would be a 22-year absence from major finals.

The reasoning? The fact that two of the bottom 31 teams in the 55-nation European rankings are now guaranteed qualifying slots.

The draw for the inaugural Uefa Nations League takes place on Wednesday from 11:00 GMT in Lausanne - with the fixtures announced from 15:00 GMT - and is, according to Uefa's head of competitions, "different, not complex".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

The Future's Maroon

Draw live on sky, were in league C

edit....there are not showing league d draw as doesn't involve any home nations 

William H. Bonney

I'm not really sure I follow this. What does the overall winner achieve? Is this nothing more than friendlies

The Future's Maroon

I'm confused also, is there a place in the Euros for anyone in this as the tag suggested....or as above, just friendlies?

Just now, The Future's Maroon said:

I'm confused also, is there a place in the Euros for anyone in this as the tag suggested....or as above, just friendlies?

Theres a bit on bbc sport that explains it. There is a way to qualify but its a very convoluted system i think. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/42719404

...a bit disco

The Sept/Oct/Nov fixture dates are going to lead to a disjointed league campaign next season.

The Old Tolbooth
13 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Potential for Scotland to be drawn against Israel I see. Mhanks will love that 

Won't bother them, they'll all be too busy shouting on the Irish. 

William H. Bonney

This is hurting my brain. So if Scotland were to win the nations league they qualify for Euro 2020. 

If that's the case, what happens to the Euro 2020 campaign. Do we just stop trying to qualify? 

letsalldothebeattie

Israel and Albania surely we will get out that group

hampden will be rocking for these games 

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Israel and Albania surely we will get out that group

hampden will be rocking for these games 

2 teams that, on their day, could give us a very hard time.

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, ...a bit disco said:

2 teams that, on their day, could give us a very hard time.

I know but really we should get the better of them. But it is Scotland we will probably end bottom and relegated to league D

Good draw for our hopes of winning the section and qualifying for the play-offs of League C but a terrible draw for the TA. Very difficult and expensive places to get to. :-(

3 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I know but really we should get the better of them. But it is Scotland we will probably end bottom and relegated to league D

That would be good if they keep this format for 2024 then... :lol:

5 minutes ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

This is hurting my brain. So if Scotland were to win the nations league they qualify for Euro 2020. 

If that's the case, what happens to the Euro 2020 campaign. Do we just stop trying to qualify? 

I think the euro 2020 qualifying campaign takes precident. So if we qualify through the qualifying but also top our section in this thing the next team gets the nations league spot. There is also a strange thing about finishing positions and rankings 

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Strachsuit said:

That would be good if they keep this format for 2024 then... :lol:

It’s apparently what everyone’s been wanting. Don’t know who Uefa asked that to. I would be surprised if it is too but the powers that be in the game always take ages to make change so it’ll be here for the next 50 years at this rate 

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

I think the euro 2020 qualifying campaign takes precident. So if we qualify through the qualifying but also top our section in this thing the next team gets the nations league spot. There is also a strange thing about finishing positions and rankings 

It's not the next team in our section though, it's the next team in the entire League C, based on results. So if we were to qualify through E2020 qualifying but win all our games in this section and Israel finished second on 6 points, they wouldn't be the ones that would qualify in our place. Someone else within the other sections would have a better record in League C and would take our place in the play-offs. A bit like the worst-placed second in the recent WC qualifiers.

17 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

Won't bother them, they'll all be too busy shouting on the Irish. 

That's a fair point actually 

The Future's Maroon
44 minutes ago, sadj said:

Theres a bit on bbc sport that explains it. There is a way to qualify but its a very convoluted system i think. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/42719404

I read, and watched the videos on the Beeb....still confused.

Even the guys on Sky are confused!

Suppose it's a 'tourney' Nations could use like a National 'b' team or U23's competition.

Hope the matches are played midweek. Hate these international weekends not being able to watched my beloved Hearts.

4 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

I read, and watched the videos on the Beeb....still confused.

Even the guys on Sky are confused!

Oh i didnt mean i understood it. Its so convoluted to the point the draw had weather clashes i didnt even try 

We mocked the intertoto cup but now strive to enter it, though it’s been re-badged. Similarly with the original world and euro tournaments for clubs and nations. In at the ground level this time. ?

The Future's Maroon
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Oh i didnt mean i understood it. Its so convoluted to the point the draw had weather clashes i didnt even try 

The weather clashes bit just puzzled my wee brain even more....so much I just turned it off ?

Just now, The Future's Maroon said:

The weather clashes bit just puzzled my wee brain even more....so much I just turned it off ?

Norway couldnt be in with Finland and Estonia lost me too. I stopped listening after that

The Old Tolbooth

The way I see it, it's a waste of time for teams like England, Germany, Spain etc, as they're pretty much guaranteed to qualify anyway, however the lower league sides will get excited by it, as will the lower ranked teams that are in the top group that haven't qualified normally. 

Could it be possible tbough that if these teams are all ranked as top seeds for this, and they all pretty much end up qualifying for the next Euros anyway, that it means there wouldn't be a top league representative left to qualify? I know it's unlikely, but hypothetically, I think it has an outside chance of happening if they all qualify through the normal group stages. :huh2:

51 minutes ago, sadj said:

Think we play them both twice home and away , so the 4 team groups play 6games we play 8

Ok theyve changed their minds now its only home and away once ??‍♂️

3 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

The way I see it, it's a waste of time for teams like England, Germany, Spain etc, as they're pretty much guaranteed to qualify anyway, however the lower league sides will get excited by it, as will the lower ranked teams that are in the top group that haven't qualified normally. 

Could it be possible tbough that if these teams are all ranked as top seeds for this, and they all pretty much end up qualifying for the next Euros anyway, that it means there wouldn't be a top league representative left to qualify? I know it's unlikely, but hypothetically, I think it has an outside chance of happening if they all qualify through the normal group stages. :huh2:

Waste of time but finish bottom they get relegated to league b. England Croatia and Spain so potentially England could get relegated as will one of France , Netherlands and Germany. Seems far too much hard work to understand

1 hour ago, Homme said:

Scotland

Albania

Israel

:rofl:

Exciting stuff!

Are Albania and Israel even in Europe?

Mental.

Edit: Not serious as I'm aware that they are (at least in football terms) but not that long ago that they weren't.

As they take the place of friendlies then I suppose it's ok. Not that it bothers me unless the Albania home game is played at Tynecastle, when I might think about going

14 minutes ago, graygo said:

Mental.

Edit: Not serious as I'm aware that they are (at least in football terms) but not that long ago that they weren't.

Eh, Albania are more in Europe than Greece. ?

The Old Tolbooth
27 minutes ago, sadj said:

Waste of time but finish bottom they get relegated to league b. England Croatia and Spain so potentially England could get relegated as will one of France , Netherlands and Germany. Seems far too much hard work to understand

It's a head scratcher eh? I'm wondering if bottom of each group gets relegated, or if it's the two teams with the worst record etc, and also, are future qualifying draws based on league placings to at least give this thing some relevance? :huh: 

Nucky Thompson

Albania is a really up and coming place. I took the ferry over from Corfu town to Saranda when I was on holiday 2 years ago and it opened my eyes.

The resort was spotless, full of 5* hotels and every 2nd car was a Merc. Seemingly the Scandinavians are buying up all the properties and going there on holiday.

It's still really cheap as well. I don't know what Tirana or any other industrial city will be like though

1 minute ago, johnmitchell said:

It's a head scratcher eh? I'm wondering if bottom of each group gets relegated, or if it's the two teams with the worst record etc, and also, are future qualifying draws based on league placings to at least give this thing some relevance? :huh: 

It can help with co-efficient they said on sky they also said the bottom teams in each group relegated top teams promoted but Danny Mills also said there will be a lot of top European clubs worrying about relegation from the League their in so god only knows ?

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Eh, Albania are more in Europe than Greece. ?

Indeed, however Greece are part of the European Union and Albania aren't.

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, sadj said:

It can help with co-efficient they said on sky they also said the bottom teams in each group relegated top teams promoted but Danny Mills also said there will be a lot of top European clubs worrying about relegation from the League their in so god only knows ?

I guess it will all become apparent, Albania and Israel though, haud me back! 

10 minutes ago, graygo said:

Indeed, however Greece are part of the European Union and Albania aren't.

Neither are the Swiss, Norwegians or soon to be British. Are they not European too?

Bristol jamboree 10

Albania due to join E U. They get €1.2 bn a year funding till 2020 from E U.They are members of N A T O.They have preferred candidate status with the E U

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Bristol jamboree 10 said:

Albania due to join E U. They get €1.2 bn a year funding till 2020 from E U.They are members of N A T O.They have preferred candidate status with the E U

With our £50b exit bill, the EU are paying **** all?.. drinks till 2030 are on us.

I'd also guess we get more than £1.2b from the EU, CBA checking.

I

21 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Neither are the Swiss, Norwegians or soon to be British. Are they not European too?

Nut they're no awrite?

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Mental.

Do they participate in the Eurovision Song Contest?

Yes!

Then they're in !

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Do they participate in the Eurovision Song Contest?

Yes!

Then they're in !

Like Australia then  :whistling: 

Archived