Sweet Caroline

Fandango

On 24/01/2018 at 15:52, GorgieRulesApply said:

Can't say I like/dislike it. Just don't see why people make such a big deal out of it.

Because it's a complete embarrassment being associated with it by people who think that that's what Hearts are about.

I've posted often on here over the years, if someone can show me that Hearts are some kind of orange, loyalist, club, I will cut up my season ticket and support a different team.

People can be orange loyalists if they like that sort of thing. It's a free world. Just don't bring it to the football or pretend it has anything to do with Hearts.

Sorry, enough. 

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Because it's illegal. 

That's not really a good reason for me anyway.

It's just got nothing to do with Hearts.

yabadabadoo1874again
22 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I simply don't get sectarianism, in life or in football. But a substantial minority of Hearts fans seem to like it. Maybe we need to understand why. 

There seem to be, for want of a better expression, a number of 'Hello, hello' apologists on here.

I'd like to ask them, or anyone else who is keen on that sort of thing:

- what are the good things about being sectarian?

- what they get out of it?

- why they like bringing their sectarianism to the game?

- what they think Hearts should do to encourage more sectarianism?

Can somebody please explain what is good about it, and why they think it is OK at Tynecastle?

Entirely as expected not one defender shows up to answer your well made points.

Tells us everything we need to know  about those sectarian racist bigot  pepul masquerading as Hearts "supporters" ???

Sat in the Gorgie so didn't hear any of those sort of songs at the game. However i have seen videos on FB of the mentioned songs.

Let me get this clear though. Folk who never went to the game are saying folk who DID go to the game are less a fan than them for singing naughty words? Place is bonkers.

The club could really be a pioneer in getting rid of this. Next big game. CCTV all over the place. When it starts, identify 30-40 who were using sectarian references in songs and get them out of our club forever. Its not even that difficult. Anyone else slow minded enough to do it would get the message pretty quick.

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

The club could really be a pioneer in getting rid of this. Next big game. CCTV all over the place. When it starts, identify 30-40 who were using sectarian references in songs and get them out of our club forever. Its not even that difficult. Anyone else slow minded enough to do it would get the message pretty quick.

Spot on.

It's pretty easy to tell who they are before they even open their manky mouths tbf...  

They have a certain "look"  about them. :look: 

Baird, King and Michael
35 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Let me get this clear though. Folk who never went to the game are saying folk who DID go to the game are less a fan than them for singing naughty words? Place is bonkers.

I would never deny that the people who are singing sectarian songs are Hearts fans. 

I don't buy into this they are Rangers fans in disguise. 

They are Hearts fans. Many of them probably go home and away each week. 

However, they are damaging our club. 

Going to games regularly does not give you carte blanche to sing sectarian songs. 

Thing is... see these people, the bigots.  I don't actually give a toss about their so called beliefs.  I just can't understand why they choose to spout their pish at the football - as if the two are related.

I'm a staunch supporter of Scotland and the UK being a republic,  Scottish Independence and Atheism - I do not feel the need to be shouting about it at the football though.  

"we're up to oor kness in (kiddie on) believers blood, surrender or you'll die!,

b'cause we are the gorgie athiest boyz!"

MacDonald Jardine
18 hours ago, XB52 said:

Because it's illegal. 

Is it, following the repeal of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act?

2 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

What repeal??  It hasn't been repealed yet and sectarian abuse was illegal before the act anyway

6 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Lol. It was illegal long before that act. Thats the whole point of it being repealed.

12 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Won’t be repealed till the end of the season my guess would be.

The answer would be to sing over the top of it, because it’s not going anywhere any time soon, if we’re being realistic.

Calling for blanket bans wouldn’t get my support either, too complex a problem to be dealt with in that way.

59 minutes ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Sat in the Gorgie so didn't hear any of those sort of songs at the game. However i have seen videos on FB of the mentioned songs.

Not saying anyone is 'less of a fan'. 

We are saying that they bring shame on the club, though.

Anyway, the words aren't simply 'naughty'  (that would be fine by me) , they are illegal, offensive, bigoted, sectarian, hate-filled, bonkers, irrelevant, nothing to do with Hearts, Rangers-lite, words in praise of a 1930s Glasgow fascist (Billy Fullarton).

16 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Don't think they are planning to repeal 'breach of the peace', are they?

Stupid Sexy Flanders

"Our version of this made-up fairy story is better than your slightly different version of what is essentially the same made-up fairy story."

That pretty much what sectarianism boils down to? 

PeterintheRain
On 1/26/2018 at 00:14, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

I thank you for thinking I'm young, sadly not so much. ?

To clarify I was referring to sectarian singing, it has been heard as long as I've been going. And that's longer than I'd care to remember. 

I doubt any written history of the club refers to the prevalent songs of the time. 

Goodness! What an astonishing coincidence!

1 minute ago, 4marsbars said:

Don't think they are planning to repeal 'breach of the peace', are they?

Absolutely not, but this does beg the question, without going too off topic, of why the legislation was tabled in the first place?

Just now, Ill Ray said:

"Our version of this made-up fairy story is better than your slightly different version of what is essentially the same made-up fairy story."

That pretty much what sectarianism boils down to? 

You're right. And we might add that the true sectarian doesn't believe in the fairy-story anyway, otherwise they'd love their enemies, turn the other cheek, and provide a feet-washing service for opposition fans who are tired out by the long journey to Edinburgh. It's a long time since we saw that at Tynecastle.

1 minute ago, maroonexile said:

Absolutely not, but this does beg the question, without going too off topic, of why the legislation was tabled in the first place?

I entirely agree. If they'd enforced existing law this new Act wouldn't have been needed (and probably isn't).

MacDonald Jardine
10 minutes ago, maroonexile said:

Because breach of the peace is vague and subjective (as is the Act to be fair).

In the context of a football ground it has never been considered a breach of the peace.

19 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Because it's a complete embarrassment being associated with it by people who think that that's what Hearts are about.

I've posted often on here over the years, if someone can show me that Hearts are some kind of orange, loyalist, club, I will cut up my season ticket and support a different team.

People can be orange loyalists if they like that sort of thing. It's a free world. Just don't bring it to the football or pretend it has anything to do with Hearts.

Sorry, enough. 

You're playing an absolute blinder on this thread. I might have missed it but I'm guessing that you've not been given all the reasons why sectarianism is great and how it relates to football in general and Hearts in particular.

34 minutes ago, HoGwash said:

You're playing an absolute blinder on this thread. I might have missed it but I'm guessing that you've not been given all the reasons why sectarianism is great and how it relates to football in general and Hearts in particular.

Thanks very much. Still waiting on a few reasons to be honest. Anyway, better get off to the game now and rustle a few sweetie papers whilst muttering 'tut, tut.'

On 1/22/2018 at 16:49, GorgieRulesApply said:

RE hullo hullo - the people that moan and change the words to 'hibee blood' still say surrender or you'll die and still say gorgie billy boys. say what you like about not wanting it at tynie etc but it gets the fans going and creates a good atmosphere

Can't understanding why folk don't just sing the actual words of the club centenary song 

On Saturdays you'll hear us sing Tynecastle to Dalry when we go marching through Gorgie

7 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

Can't understanding why folk don't just sing the actual words of the club centenary song 

On Saturdays you'll hear us sing Tynecastle to Dalry when we go marching through Gorgie

That should in theory be fine and most would, but unfortunately as sure as Night follows day, hearing the tune will be the cue for the bigots to sing their version. 

MacDonald Jardine
23 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

That song wasn't sung at games at the time it was released and has never been sung since.

5 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

That song wasn't sung at games at the time it was released and has never been sung since.

What do you think we should do about that song?

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
2 hours ago, PeterintheRain said:

Goodness! What an astonishing coincidence!

Excellent contribution to the thread Pete. 

5 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

A ridiculous piece of legislation from a glorified parish council. I cringed during the week when the broad brogued apologists tried to defend this Act. I was brought up in the 70s and 80s when these songs were sung and, believe me, anything that is sung now is tame by comparison to then. Of course, there is no place for sectarianism in the modern world, including in football grounds,  but poring over who is singing which words and using CCTV evidence is pathetic. I dont go to away games but as far as home games are ooncerned there is no evidence of any sectarian problem among our support. How does "building a bonfire" sit with those  who criticise their own supporters for being "up to their knees in whatever".  I'm a believer in sticks and stones, and the idea that a devolved administration can pass a law that can theoretically result in people being jailed for 5 years for singing a song is ludicrous. If governments/executives started clamping down on people who are attacking, injuring and maiming people physically rather than obsessing about word and, more worryingly, thought crimes then we would be in a better place. The modern world needs to toughen up a bit and realise that, you know what, you can't sanitise everything and rewrite the bits of history that you don't like. 

Wow substitute

9 hours ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Hurrah hurrah we are the Gorgie boys (now sung as Hello hello)

Hurrah hurrah we make a lot of noise (now sung as hello hello you'll know us by our noise)

Nah it's never sung!

5 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

A ridiculous piece of legislation from a glorified parish council. I cringed during the week when the broad brogued apologists tried to defend this Act. I was brought up in the 70s and 80s when these songs were sung and, believe me, anything that is sung now is tame by comparison to then. Of course, there is no place for sectarianism in the modern world, including in football grounds,  but poring over who is singing which words and using CCTV evidence is pathetic. I dont go to away games but as far as home games are ooncerned there is no evidence of any sectarian problem among our support. How does "building a bonfire" sit with those  who criticise their own supporters for being "up to their knees in whatever".  I'm a believer in sticks and stones, and the idea that a devolved administration can pass a law that can theoretically result in people being jailed for 5 years for singing a song is ludicrous. If governments/executives started clamping down on people who are attacking, injuring and maiming people physically rather than obsessing about word and, more worryingly, thought crimes then we would be in a better place. The modern world needs to toughen up a bit and realise that, you know what, you can't sanitise everything and rewrite the bits of history that you don't like. 

It is still better than nothing. I don't think its a coincidence that bigotted singing has increased since this propose repeal became public.

Scotland should be ashamed at being such a backward country regarding bigotry. It used to be accepted practice at football to have racial hatred but it isn't anymore so why should hatred about religion be treated differently!? 

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
11 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Spot on.

It's pretty easy to tell who they are before they even open their manky mouths tbf...  

They have a certain "look"  about them. :look: 

Bet you agree with racial profiling as well. Ffs. 

Doctor FinnBarr
9 hours ago, Groatallar said:

Wrong mate, the Centenary song was on the "B" side of Hurrah Hurrah

We will raise our voices

For the team we love

For the players old and new

Our standards they are high

We are reaching for the skies

To the Hearts we will ever be true

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Does the club have to play it over the tannoy system?  Surely not.

No they don't have too, certainly didn't today but that was maybe down to the Motherwell goal.

I'm of the same mind of you Doug, if the fans are being arses about the song, just stop playing it , simples

13 hours ago, bikerjambo said:

Wrong mate, the Centenary song was on the "B" side of Hurrah Hurrah

We will raise our voices

For the team we love

For the players old and new

Our standards they are high

We are reaching for the skies

To the Hearts we will ever be true

Other way about mate - Marchin thru Gorgie was the A side

We've followed them a hundred years and will a hundred mair.

I still have the record ?

14 hours ago, Groatallar said:

It is still better than nothing. I don't think its a coincidence that bigotted singing has increased since this propose repeal became public.

Scotland should be ashamed at being such a backward country regarding bigotry. It used to be accepted practice at football to have racial hatred but it isn't anymore so why should hatred about religion be treated differently!? 

Is there any evidence of increased sectarian singing recently? Scotland is a tribal country, the centre belt in particular,  with sectarian division and now constitutional division running right through it. A flawed piece of legislation won't change that .

The idea that people singing songs actually "hate" someone or something is misguided.  "Hate" in a football context manifests itself in many different ways. Why do we insist on obsessing about meaningless words in songs, probably sung by people who don't actually hate anyone and are just indulging in a bit tribal chanting. Not condoning it but it isn't a crime.

19 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Talk about Scottish cringe. What a pile of utter garbage, but what we expect from your posts

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Is there any evidence of increased sectarian singing recently? Scotland is a tribal country, the centre belt in particular,  with sectarian division and now constitutional division running right through it. A flawed piece of legislation won't change that .

The idea that people singing songs actually "hate" someone or something is misguided.  "Hate" in a football context manifests itself in many different ways. Why do we insist on obsessing about meaningless words in songs, probably sung by people who don't actually hate anyone and are just indulging in a bit tribal chanting. Not condoning it but it isn't a crime.

Perhaps it is only my perception but I personally think much more of it is being sung especially by Celtic and New Rangers. It does seem to be making an unwelcome comeback in some of our songs too. Substitute black or any other racist insults instead of religion and you will perhaps realise it is wrong. There is no difference it is a hate crime and currently against the law.

55 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Talk about Scottish cringe. What a pile of utter garbage, but what we expect from your posts

I think you'll find the majority of the population would agree with my views. Feel free to crack on with your wha's like us crusade though.

yabadabadoo1874again
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If they would go elsewhere then our immediate problem solved is all.

Yesterday didnt hear any of the sectarian crap !!! so more likely to go again with children wearing maroon and white scarves (and spend on tickets food merchandise etc) whose other side of family are Catholic...and shouldn't have to be listening to so called super fans spouting their ignorance...

Yet to see any REAL argument as to why they do it...

16 hours ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Bet you agree with racial profiling as well. Ffs. 

:gok:

It is very obvious that someone that looks like this (see below) is more likely to be involved in sounding like a moron by singing sectarian related pish. 

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/event/rangers-v-celtic-112768738?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#rangers-supporters-chant-as-they-hold-up-a-souvenir-prince-william-picture-id113139087 

MacDonald Jardine
4 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

It is very obvious that someone that looks like this (see below) is more likely to be involved in sounding like a moron by singing sectarian related pish. 

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/event/rangers-v-celtic-112768738?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#rangers-supporters-chant-as-they-hold-up-a-souvenir-prince-william-picture-id113139087 

Well yes when they're pictured behind a union flag and obviously singing.

How easy would it be in the street?

Just now, MacDonald Jardine said:

Well yes when they're pictured behind a union flag and obviously singing.

How easy would it be in the street?

Pretty easy, just follow the tram lines their knuckles make behind them as they walk along.

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Pretty easy, just follow the tram lines their knuckles make behind them as they walk along.

Righto.

Why You're not employed by the club or the police is beyond me.

You can stop crime before it occurs. .

This place really is desperate sometimes.

This started off as a request for a sing-song vid from full time after beating hibs and now we're onto parliamentary legislation, sectarian division, constitutional division with complete self righteous crusaders on all sides. Seems that just about every thread descends into a bitter argument. Utter, jumped up, pompous, sad sacks on here.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I think you'll find the majority of the population would agree with my views. Feel free to crack on with your wha's like us crusade though.

Bizarre statement, just because I am against sectarianism. What a tool you are

yabadabadoo1874again
44 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

This place really is desperate sometimes.

This started off as a request for a sing-song vid from full time after beating hibs and now we're onto parliamentary legislation, sectarian division, constitutional division with complete self righteous crusaders on all sides. Seems that just about every thread descends into a bitter argument. Utter, jumped up, pompous, sad sacks on here.

If it ascended no one would come back...???

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
58 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Done yourself no favours there. 

You judge people based on how they look. 

20 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Done yourself no favours there. 

You judge people based on how they look. 

Or rather how they choose to look. 

Archived