Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FWJ

Gyle Centre

Recommended Posts

Do The Dance

The gyle will be redeveloped, I think. Whether a cinema will actually be included, I'm not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Orders
On 14/10/2018 at 16:15, Do The Dance said:

The gyle will be redeveloped, I think. Whether a cinema will actually be included, I'm not sure.

Went to the Gyle the other day

 

no sign of any Redevelopment plans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Went to the Gyle the other day

 

no sign of any Redevelopment plans 

One unit now has Table Tennis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Geoff the Mince

The Gyle is shite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
1 hour ago, Geoff the Mince said:

The Gyle is shite.

 

Back in the day when I played football at The Gyle, the pitches were covered in shite as well......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montgomery Brewster
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

 

Back in the day when I played football at The Gyle, the pitches were covered in shite as well......

That’s Enough about the players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo
22 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

That’s Enough about the players 

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Went to the Gyle the other day

 

no sign of any Redevelopment plans 

Isn't the upstairs food court due to close very soon as part of the development? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks
3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Isn't the upstairs food court due to close very soon as part of the development? 

 

No more spud-u-like? 

 

:sob:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks

According to the owners, the £3M refurbishment is now complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar
18 minutes ago, Dunks said:

 

No more spud-u-like? 

 

:sob:

Spud u like is an absolute rip off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Orders
4 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Isn't the upstairs food court due to close very soon as part of the development? 

Oh where did you hear that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Morgan
18 minutes ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Oh where did you hear that?

In a greasy spoon, one would imagine.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Spud u like is an absolute rip off.

 

True. Always preferred the Tempting Tattie :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar
Just now, Dunks said:

 

True. Always preferred the Tempting Tattie :)

 

Mister Hot Potato on Gorgie Road at the bottom of Robbie Ave was a daily lunch for me when I worked in Robbie Ave. Fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunks
5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Mister Hot Potato on Gorgie Road at the bottom of Robbie Ave was a daily lunch for me when I worked in Robbie Ave. Fantastic.

 

The Mrs always favours the one at the top of Cockburn Street, but it's TT for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Oh where did you hear that?

Someone who has a food/catering business at South Gyle was offered a short-term lease at the food court for a new food outlet. The lease takes them up to when the food court closes soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Fredrickson
10 hours ago, Dunks said:

 

The Mrs always favours the one at the top of Cockburn Street, but it's TT for me.

 

My first job was for Lothian Regional Council in the 1980s, the office was at the bottom of Cockburn Street. Being from "out of town" this was my first experience of a BTS. I loved it and ended up having one for my lunch every Friday.

 

I havent been in Cockburn Street for years (10-15) and a couple of weeks ago I had my kids in at the Museum of Childhood. We took a walk afterwards and went down Cockburn Street. I was delighted to see their was still a BTS at the same location.

 

Back on topic, the Gyle is a very tired place to shop. I was last in it about 9 months ago as I took my daughter to the Disney Store. Having been to other "malls" in other cities it is similar to many. The likes of Kinnaird Park and Livingston are far more appealing to anyone with transport. The Gyle, Westside Plaza and Cameron Toll are all very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mutley
4 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

 

My first job was for Lothian Regional Council in the 1980s, the office was at the bottom of Cockburn Street. Being from "out of town" this was my first experience of a BTS. I loved it and ended up having one for my lunch every Friday.

 

I havent been in Cockburn Street for years (10-15) and a couple of weeks ago I had my kids in at the Museum of Childhood. We took a walk afterwards and went down Cockburn Street. I was delighted to see their was still a BTS at the same location.

 

Back on topic, the Gyle is a very tired place to shop. I was last in it about 9 months ago as I took my daughter to the Disney Store. Having been to other "malls" in other cities it is similar to many. The likes of Kinnaird Park and Livingston are far more appealing to anyone with transport. The Gyle, Westside Plaza and Cameron Toll are all very similar.

Although the Gyle and Cameron toll have a poor selection of shops it’s a bit harsh to compare them to west side plaza. It’s junkie central in there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gjcc
15 hours ago, Dunks said:

 

The Mrs always favours the one at the top of Cockburn Street, but it's TT for me.

 

Went in there about 10 years ago and whoever was running it was doing so as a vegetarian place. “Chilli sans carne”, for example, was one of the fillings. I didn’t buy anything, not because it was vegetarian but because it all sounded disgusting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Francis Albert
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:24, The Frenchman Returns said:

Astoria Cinema

 

image.jpeg.92ccf8babd078c0f91fb6f160a32c6d1.jpeg

Saw "A Hard Days Night" there. Inspired by all the running about the Beatles did in the film four of us ran all the way over the hill to Clermiston.

Classic old cinema, it had a magnificent organ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Col1874
Posted (edited)

"The centre will lose 334 car parking spaces to make way for the extension." 

 

That'll just make Sighthill, Saughton and Balgreen worse for those "park and ride" idiots parking in our residential streets for the tram stops - no law against it but it's bloody frustrating. 

Edited by Col1874

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
indianajones
1 hour ago, Col1874 said:

"The centre will lose 334 car parking spaces to make way for the extension." 

 

That'll just make Sighthill, Saughton and Balgreen worse for those "park and ride" idiots parking in our residential streets for the tram stops - no law against it but it's bloody frustrating. 

 

Permit holder passes along with pay and display machines are becoming more common in many parts of the city due to this. 

 

It doesnt effect me in anyway but i understand your frustrations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Thank you for posting this, it makes a welcome change from your constant questions.

 

Development is probably at the times right too with the additional 2,000 homes being built between Turnhouse and Craigs Road

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Orders
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:31, The Frenchman Returns said:

Thank you for posting this, it makes a welcome change from your constant questions.

 

Development is probably at the times right too with the additional 2,000 homes being built between Turnhouse and Craigs Road

I quite like going to the Gyle when im in Edinburgh as it is easy to get away by either car or train...

 

Wonder how long it will take them to build the cinema though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

I quite like going to the Gyle when im in Edinburgh as it is easy to get away by either car or train...

 

Wonder how long it will take them to build the cinema though!

 

Why have you changed your username ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natural Orders
34 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

 

Why have you changed your username ?

Sick of the usual suspects giving me hassle... it was suggested to me that I change the name.

also thinking of moving out of Hamilton too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thommo414
On 12/06/2019 at 17:44, Col1874 said:

"The centre will lose 334 car parking spaces to make way for the extension." 

 

That'll just make Sighthill, Saughton and Balgreen worse for those "park and ride" idiots parking in our residential streets for the tram stops - no law against it but it's bloody frustrating. 

If that happens I'll start keying cars. Live not too far away from some offices in West Edinburgh which don't have sufficient parking and the amount of parked cars on my street is night and day during the week/at the weekend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Col1874
5 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

If that happens I'll start keying cars. Live not too far away from some offices in West Edinburgh which don't have sufficient parking and the amount of parked cars on my street is night and day during the week/at the weekend 

Scottish Government at Saughton House being one of them - Their staff are stuck up arseholes. 

 

An even more annoying one is some twat who works at St Joseph's (Broomhouse) as a pupil support worker parks his BMW from 7.30am in our residential car park every weekday when there is plenty of on street parking at that time - Again, no law against it but please, **** off somewhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thommo414
28 minutes ago, Col1874 said:

Scottish Government at Saughton House being one of them - Their staff are stuck up arseholes

 

An even more annoying one is some twat who works at St Joseph's (Broomhouse) as a pupil support worker parks his BMW from 7.30am in our residential car park every weekday when there is plenty of on street parking at that time - Again, no law against it but please, **** off somewhere else. 

Took a thread ban for posting identifiable information before but now that you mention it, those are the very ****ers I'm on about. 

 

I don't drive myself but christ there'd be no hope for me if I did with those pricks kicking about 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sooperstar

Always good when people moan about other people parking perfectly legally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pablo
4 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Always good when people moan about other people parking perfectly legally.

 

Although car dumping in residential streets for a week at a time when using the airport, is pretty selfish even if it is legal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
martoon
On 14/10/2018 at 08:58, jonnothejambo said:

 

I went to see Where Eagles Dare there five nights in a  row in the late 60's.

 

Five successive nights of "Broadsword calling Danny Boy". You're a trooper, jonno. Worthy of a medal for endurance, imo.

 

Bloody awful film. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×