Top Posters In This Topic

• Francis Albert

• jake

• Boris

• Ulysses

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, pablo said:

I can see how it's a complete mess, but how does a no-deal Brexit result in the reunification of Ireland? I don't get that personally.

Fair enough. I thought it had been more than adequately covered by the media , especially when the Sinn Fein spokes woman said her stuff. Not that I support SF or Irish unity. 

44 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Reunifying Ireland might seem like a clever and simple idea, but it is neither.

Mind you, sundering the island is a pretty stupid idea as well.

There isn't a border.  Seriously.  It's like something out of an episode of Doctor Who.  There's one country here, and another one just over there, and they're quite different, and there's definitely a point at which one place disappears and the other one pops into being, but there's no border.  Just 499 kilometres of not very much that manages to successfully mark the very clear difference between one country and another.  If you'd described that to me in the mid-1990s I'd said you were between deluded and insane, yet there it is, and isn't.  Kinda like Schrödinger's border, in a way.  :whistling:

Some people want to replace Schrödinger's border with something altogether more, er, tangible, and don't seem to realise how daft an idea that it.  One or two of those might actually be malicious, but for the most part I suspect it's that they just don't see why there might be a fuss.  But if they take a wee visit to Pettigo, Strabane, Lifford, or Belleek, or any one of dozens of points either side of Schrödinger's border, they'll be able to work it out.

(But I am asking you not to run that line about uniting Ireland again.  It's not good.  Please trust me on that.)

Who said it was clever or simple ? The comments on here relate to the fact NI voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU - but have no voice while the DUP have the UK govt by the neck.  The SF spokeswoman made the point that if NI wants to stay in the EU then maybe there should be a vote on it  = ie unity ? No need for me to go into the border scenarios - it's well documented and all options have been kicked out by the DUP. 

No one is running a line for Irish unity but it's a fact that politicians in NI now see an opportunity that must seem heaven sent. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
7 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

That would actually be in breach of the Good Friday Agreement.

Unlike as so often claimed without challenge  border contols between the Republic and NI.

Ireland for the Irish. 

If we've learned one thing from this, the brexiteers don't give a toss about the GFA. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

And ?

The UK is irreparably damaged as a union now. 

Whatever May comes out with is sound bite bollocks. The union is fractured and the forthcoming shit storm will widen the fractures and what was 'the empire' will disappear into its own irrelevance.

The Mighty Thor

I read in the FT this morning that the gov't is looking to charter a flotilla of ships and ferries to keep food and medicines rolling into the UK after 29/3.

It's the Berlin airlift for the 21st century folks. 

Project fear...blah,blah.

The Mighty Thor

The National Audit Office announced today that 11 out of 12 critical systems for border control and customs will not be ready for 29/3.

Yet more project fear from.....er the gov't themselves?

Sourcing the unicorns for Boris' border plan proving tougher than he thought.

Strong and stable :thumbsup:

Edited by The Mighty Thor

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

The EU is effectively governing Italy now. They made their bed...

Conflating Eurozone membership with EU membership.  Two seperate things there.  BUt suits the narrative I suppose...

Just now, Boris said:

Conflating Eurozone membership with EU membership.  Two seperate things there.  BUt suits the narrative I suppose...

Not being able to recognise that economics is politics and politics is economics. No separation exists. You know that but suits the narrative to pretend otherwise I suppose.

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

Not being able to recognise that economics is politics and politics is economics. No separation exists. You know that but suits the narrative to pretend otherwise I suppose.

Of course there is a seperation.

Take the UK, when was our budget ever queried by the European Commission?  No, because it has feck all to do with them.  If we were part of the EUro, then you can understand as the effect of one Euro country's budget could have on the other Euro nations.

This is about the currency, and also the consequence of further integration, so one can be sceptical about the Euro etc, it doesn't necessarily follow that one has to against the EU per se.  IMO, of course.

4 minutes ago, Boris said:

Of course there is a seperation.

Take the UK, when was our budget ever queried by the European Commission?  No, because it has feck all to do with them.  If we were part of the EUro, then you can understand as the effect of one Euro country's budget could have on the other Euro nations.

This is about the currency, and also the consequence of further integration, so one can be sceptical about the Euro etc, it doesn't necessarily follow that one has to against the EU per se.  IMO, of course.

I'm extremely disappointed in you Boris. This is Marxism for beginners stuff, its capitalism and the ROE is threatening Italy politically and economically. They can't have a budget that reflects the political will of the Italian people. As I said they made their bed...

9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I'm extremely disappointed in you Boris. This is Marxism for beginners stuff, its capitalism and the ROE is threatening Italy politically and economically. They can't have a budget that reflects the political will of the Italian people. As I said they made their bed...

Then they should leave the Euro and go back to the lira.  If you as a nation sign up to the Euro then you must also bear the consequences.  Same happened to Greece.

I'm not arguing FOR this, just saying, as you are, they have made their bed.

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Then they should leave the Euro and go back to the lira.  If you as a nation sign up to the Euro then you must also bear the consequences.  Same happened to Greece.

I'm not arguing FOR this, just saying, as you are, they have made their bed.

but you can't therefore, separate the economic from the political?

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

but you can't therefore, separate the economic from the political?

You can, in the UK's experience.  May be we are at cross purposes, but there is a difference between being an EU member and being a Eurozone member.

"As long as there is no solution for the Irish border, as long as the Good Friday agreement is not fully secured, for us in our parliament progress is 0 per cent."

Guy Verhofstadt, president of the European Parliament (which can reject the deal because it also has a meaningful vote on the final agreement)

Francis Albert
36 minutes ago, Cade said:

"As long as there is no solution for the Irish border, as long as the Good Friday agreement is not fully secured, for us in our parliament progress is 0 per cent."

Guy Verhofstadt, president of the European Parliament (which can reject the deal because it also has a meaningful vote on the final agreement)

I wonder if he has read the Good Friday Agreement. Indeed I sometimes wonder if anyone has. I read it twice and could find no mention of the border, a strange omission for something so vital to the agreement being "secured:" The EU did very little to secure peace while the killing was going on. The Americans were far more involved. The exploitation of threats of renewed terrorist action tells us a lot about the EU.

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Has Maybot said "acting in the national interest" yet today?     

I tell you what's interesting is that Gove, Johnson and Rees Mogg have done a bit of a disappearing act of late. 

Come to think of it somebody should go to Corbyn's gaff to make sure he's not dead behind the front door as he's not been seen either. 

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

We're 95% there 

:cornette:

IMG_20181026_073208.jpg

Austerity is over anaw.    Mr Hammond is currently working on how he'll demonstrate this in the upcoming budget.      

:olly:

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Boris said:

Liam Fox "easiest trade deals, ever"

How's that working out then? 

The Mighty Thor
17 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The Russians and the other 20 or so countries are going to rip the arse out of team UK as desperation grows as March looms on the horizon. 

It's an absolute shambles.

On 24/10/2018 at 10:54, SE16 3LN said:

The EU is effectively governing Italy now. They made their bed...

Italians overstretching and causing the Germans a headache, that they'll need to try and sort out? It's history repeating itself :gok:

Francis Albert
On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 23:26, Pans Jambo said:

https://wp.me/p1U04a-bjT

WTO my arse!

The bit with the May photograph saying the UK has lost $1.7 trillion of contracts assumes the UK would secure all of the  $1.7 trillion's worth of deals available. Worthy of putting on the side of a bus!

Francis Albert

It would be ironic if following a year or more of endless premature reports of May's political demise she from now on lasted longer as PM than Merkel will as Chancellor.

Merkel's been Chancellor since 2005.
She is stepping down in 2021.

Are you seriously trying to claim that Weak&Wobbly is going last longer than 16 years?

:rofl: 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Merkel's been Chancellor since 2005.
She is stepping down in 2021.

Are you seriously trying to claim that Weak&Wobbly is going last longer than 16 years?

:rofl: 

See the words "from now on" in my post.

But ROFL on.

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The bit with the May photograph saying the UK has lost $1.7 trillion of contracts assumes the UK would secure all of the  $1.7 trillion's worth of deals available. Worthy of putting on the side of a bus!

Well youve got to be in it to win it I guess...

9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

So, this National Crime Agency.  What does it do?

Handles serious organised crime, it's the shitey UK version of the FBI

13 hours ago, Cade said:

Handles serious organised crime, it's the shitey UK version of the FBI

Serious organised crime, eh?

Imagine what sort of people get referred for investigation by them, so.

Dearie, dearie me.  :laugh: