'I am Alive': Andes Plane Crash Survivors, 1972

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

I watched a documentary about the 1972 Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes mountains in 1972. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the story and that the survivors were stuck on a mountain ridge for eleven weeks facing freezing conditions, blizzards, avalanches and near starvation; eventually being left with no choice but to eat the dead bodies of their fellow passengers.

Whilst the anthropophagic part of the story has been the most discussed aspect down the years since, I was very much moved by the bravery of the sixteen men left and in particular, the two volunteers who made the miraculous trek up and over the mountains to get help; hiking almost 40 miles in some of the harshest conditions on Earth...and succeeding.

Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa: I salute you.

I saw the 90s film 'Alive', starring Ethan Hawke and it's a great movie. But, if like me, you also enjoy a good documentary, you won't be disappointed with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr4FPKztwIw

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

I watched a documentary about the 1972 Uruguayan rugby team whose plane crashed in the Andes mountains in 1972. I'm sure many of you are familiar with the story and that the survivors were stuck on a mountain ridge for eleven weeks facing freezing conditions, blizzards, avalanches and near starvation; eventually being left with no choice but to eat the dead bodies of their fellow passengers.

Whilst the anthropophagic part of the story has been the most discussed aspect down the years since, I was very much moved by the bravery of the sixteen men left and in particular, the two volunteers who made the miraculous trek up and over the mountains to get help; hiking almost 40 miles in some of the harshest conditions on Earth...and succeeding.

I saw the 90s film 'Alive', starring Ethan Hawke and it's a great movie. But, if like me, you also enjoy a good documentary, you won't be disappointed with this:

Try the book "alive". It was written either by a survivor, or after interviews from them.

14 minutes ago, superjack said:

Try the book "alive". It was written either by a survivor, or after interviews from them.

I remember reading this as a teenager, harrowing stuff.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Bill said:

Thanks for posting that BB. I’ll have a look at that later.

Archived