Dave Mackay

Poseidon

Just finished reading 'The Real Mackay' and was interested to hear views from those that followed Hearts when he got tranferred to Spurs. I'm recent times, we've sold/given away some of our best players in Gordon, Hartley and Pressley but how did the transfer of Dave Mackay compare to those?

Would be very good to hear any stories about him in his playing days at Hearts and since if anyone has any. Good read by the way if you haven't read it.

:cheers:

Just finished reading 'The Real Mackay' and was interested to hear views from those that followed Hearts when he got tranferred to Spurs. I'm recent times, we've sold/given away some of our best players in Gordon, Hartley and Pressley but how did the transfer of Dave Mackay compare to those?

Would be very good to hear any stories about him in his playing days at Hearts and since if anyone has any. Good read by the way if you haven't read it.

:cheers:

Where did you get the book jamboally? Can't say I've heard of it. He used to stay in Saughton as a kid, he and my grandad always played football in the street together, would be a great present for him.

Hearts Heritage

From a historical point of view the sale of MacKay to TH followed by the sales of Young and Thomson to Everton can be considered the worst act of 'transfer vandalism' committed in Hearts history. Hearts were the best team in Scotland and had the board had a 'vision' Hearts could have dominated the 1960s as they did the late 1950s.

On an individual basis the two other comparable sales would be those of Percy Dawson and Alex Massie.

Carl Fredrickson

Its available from all good bookshops & probably form play.com and amazon.

A great read that opened my eyes to what a gent Dave is - born in 1970 I am a bit young to have been around when he was at Hearts.

One of the best football bios I have read.

Got it for Christmas but the book was published by Mainstream Publishing in Edinburgh. He talks about the big sided games of football they played in the street too so I'm sure your grandad would enjoy reading it. I'll see if I can find somewhere online you can get it.

From a historical point of view the sale of MacKay to TH followed by the sales of Young and Thomson to Everton can be considered the worst act of 'transfer vandalism' committed in Hearts history. Hearts were the best team in Scotland and had the board had a 'vision' Hearts could have dominated the 1960s as they did the late 1950s.

On an individual basis the two other comparable sales would be those of Percy Dawson and Alex Massie.

Cheers, he mentions the sale of Young and Thomson to Everton and how bad it seemed at the time too.

Its available from all good bookshops & probably form play.com and amazon.

A great read that opened my eyes to what a gent Dave is - born in 1970 I am a bit young to have been around when he was at Hearts.

One of the best football bios I have read.

Cheers, I've not looked for it in the shops so couldn't tell you how widely available or otherwise it was but sounds like you should get it in a few places in Edinburgh or online then.

Had Dave Mackay in my taxi a few times ......Always states that he never ever wanted to leave Hearts , it was the boards descision and not his .....A proper gentleman

LEGEND

In the book he says TW phoned him up one weekend and then came round to say Tottenham were after him. He was given a night to sleep on it but came to the conclusion that if Hearts wanted to keep him they would've rebuffed Spurs advances. I feel sorry for him and the fans at the time because it seems neither were really given a chance to say their goodbyes.

i got mine from waterstones.

very good book i read it in one day i liked it so much.

My dad says Hearts fans were gutted when MCkay was sold the nearest equivalent he could think off in recent times was when robbo was sold to newcastle.

but much worse.

jambos are go!

Selling the truly great Davie Mackay was a truly dark day and the truly great Tommy Walkers greatest mistake.

The Real Maroonblood
Had Dave Mackay in my taxi a few times ......Always states that he never ever wanted to leave Hearts , it was the boards descision and not his .....A proper gentleman

LEGEND

A number of years ago after he had coached in the middle east he was interviewed on television and asked if Spurs was the first result he looked for. His reply no it's Hearts of course. Absolutely brilliant.

met him a few times. nice guy told a story of being the only person to play for scotland in goals and not concede a goal.

the old stories are gold.

It pains me to say it but Hearts wouldn't have dominated the 60's for one reason.

Tommy Walker.

A true legend as a player and manager but he wasn't a modern manager and time had passed him by as evinced by how we did in Europe with a great team.

I've heard some people say that he was 'off like a shot' :confused: while Dave himself is quite adamant that he didn't go.......he was SENT :(

i know from my old man, that he actually started supporting spurs(still does) whn Mr Mackay(as he refers to him) was sent there...said tynie was never the same afterwards...there again he does tell this story after a few sherbits;)

Cheers guys, always interesting to hear the views of those who witnessed some of the events first hand. It just struck me as similar to some of the crazy decisions that have gone on here in the last couple of years and wanted to know what kind of effect it had back then.

Colonel Kurtz

Brian Clough thought he was the best player ever to play for him.

He very very nearly rejoined Hearts as asistant manager,the next season he was player of the year as sweeper.

Met him most recently at The Races,a true gent who likes his white wine,but hates the Bremner photo

Ally Alexander
It pains me to say it but Hearts wouldn't have dominated the 60's for one reason.

Tommy Walker.

A true legend as a player and manager but he wasn't a modern manager and time had passed him by as evinced by how we did in Europe with a great team.

Perhaps the problem was that Tommy was ahead of his time. Certainly the first manager in Scotland to introduce 4-2-4 and possible the first club manager in Britain to do so.

Archived