The January Window ( merged )

Bauld

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Looks like he has a good pedigree, if it was permanent this could be an excellent signing. I wouldn't want another loan signing

Only looking for a debate, but what constitutes a good pedigree for you?  I see a guy who is 21 who has played 14 games, apologies for mistake earlier, in 18 months. He can be on the books of Man City, Wigan and Blackburn who are all bigger clubs than us but if he ain't getting game time?

Guys like Walker, Paterson, King and Nicolson all had much more experience by that stage in their careers.

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Looks like he has a good pedigree, if it was permanent this could be an excellent signing. I wouldn't want another loan signing

At first glance 27 appearances in Holland's top division as a teenager doesn't look bad, but Cambuur (where de vries spent four years btw) did finish last that season

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Only looking for a debate, but what constitutes a good pedigree for you?  I see a guy who is 21 who has played 14 games, apologies for mistake earlier, in 18 months. He can be on the books of Man City, Wigan and Blackburn who are all bigger clubs than us but if he ain't getting game time?

Guys like Walker, Paterson, King and Nicolson all had much more experience by that stage in their careers.

Think Wikipedia page is out of date, has played regularly for Oldham in League 1 this season (23 games in league and cup) and scored 7 goals in league and cup. Was also named in EFL team of the week a couple of weeks back. Seems like a really promising signing if true. 

rudi must stay
Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

Capped at under 21 level for Ireland (I always look at this, it shows he had potential that a team  could help him get back) and learned his football at Man City, a highly rated academy. Even being at Wigan is a positive, they are still a big club who seem to score a lot of goals

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, karipidis said:

Think Wikipedia page is out of date, has played regularly for Oldham in League 1 this season and scored 7 goals in league and cup. Was also named in EFL team of the week a couple of weeks back. Seems like a really promising signing if true. 

Ah!

Thanks mate

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, rudi must stay said:

Capped at under 21 level for Ireland (I always look at this, it shows he had potential that a team  could help him get back) and learned his football at Man City, a highly rated academy. Even being at Wigan is a positive, they are still a big club who seem to score a lot of goals

Yip those are all positives for sure. Looks like talks underway then

letsalldothebeattie

Don’t know too much about Byrne but to come through the highly rated City academy, play in Dutch top league for a season and be capped at every age level and reach double figures for U21 caps he must have a decent pedigree 

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, kimosavi said:

Sure he made his debut for his new club at the weekend. Barnsley I think 

Yeah he’s at Barnsley.

They not just been bought by billionaires?  They will be signing a lot of players I think with some current ones moving on.

LarrysRightFoot
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'd have Paul Paton to bolster and put a bit of aggression to the midfield and a couple of Left sided players , wingers/fullbacks. And last but not least, an out and out striker.

Paul Paton seriously?

You think that’s the level of player we should be targeting?

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

Paul Paton seriously?

Why would anyone want Paul Paton. If we were to target anyone from St Johnstone it would be wee Scougall now he’s the type of player we need 

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Paul Paton seriously?

At the minute, yes. We need a bit of bite. We can focus on better quality when we're able, hopefully this summer.

3 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Why would anyone want Paul Paton. If we were to target anyone from St Johnstone it would be wee Scougall now he’s the type of player we need 

Why is everything an argument on here? It's only a suggestion. 

letsalldothebeattie
Just now, ri Alban said:

Why is everything an argument on here? It's only a suggestion. 

I’m not arguing I was just stating a point. I don’t think Paton is of the quality that we need. Sorry for having an opinion

14 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I’m not arguing I was just stating a point. I don’t think Paton is of the quality that we need. Sorry for having an opinion

So you should be. :)

LarrysRightFoot
31 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

At the minute, yes. We need a bit of bite. We can focus on better quality when we're able, hopefully this summer.

No. No. No.

Signing a player of that quality is like admitting defeat.

Can't remember or find the list i posted regarding who i'd try and get shot off.

Hughes

Bauben

Cowie

Nowak

Callachan

Martin

Stockton

Grzelak

Noring

And Goncalves unless he changes his attitude or brain which he hasn't.

Randall to return to Liverpool where he will be freed and Smith-Brown who we won't see again because of injury. Man City will i'm sure release him.

Now we know Walker will leave and most of the above list won't be possible to empty in january but these players must not under any circumstances be Hearts players after May 2018.

John Gentleman
4 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Can't remember or find the list i posted regarding who i'd try and get shot off.

Hughes

Bauben

Cowie

Nowak

Callachan

Martin

Stockton

Grzelak

Noring

Randall to return to Liverpool where he will be freed and Smith-Brown who we won't see again because of injury. Man City will i'm sure release him.

Now we know Walker will leave and most of the above list won't be possible to empty in january but these players must not under any circumstances be Hearts players after May 2018.

More than a few contracts to pay out then?

Absolute Scenes
8 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Hughes

Bauben

Cowie

Nowak

Callachan

Martin

Stockton

Grzelak

Noring

Lot of those players are good back up and coming onto a game. I think its very harsh on Callachan who has played 8 games for us and you are already wanting rid of him. Cowie is also another I'd keep given he is one of the fittest players in the squad despite nearing pension age. Buaben again, is good backup on the bench and actually was not the worst player on the park, and has come on to a game in the last few games. I think you need to relax a bit the amount you are wanting rid of...but I certainly agree with the rest of the players you have quoted. I want to see us sign players that we will have next season to build a team from. That's where Aberdeen have excelled in - building a strong consistent team over the years, bringing in one ort two high quality players every window, as opposed to 6 or 7.

Would be nice if we could keep most of our players offload a couple who haven't featured such as Martin and Nowak and sign a proper left back.

17 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sign someone not very good with a view to getting someone better later on? Mate...

Absolute Scenes
8 minutes ago, DVB said:

Would be nice if we could keep most of our players offload a couple who haven't featured such as Martin and Nowak and sign a proper left back.

Agree DVB. We need to stop using windows just to fill areas. As much as this is important...we need to bring in guys that are going to be here long term to build a team that will stay relatively the same

Allowayjambo1874
8 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Hughes

Bauben

Cowie

Nowak

Callachan

Martin

Stockton

Grzelak

Noring

Half of that lot have 18 months left on contract and Martín has over 2 years, be tough to shift any of them on. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/heart-of-midlothian-fc/kader/verein/43/saison_id/2017/plus/1

9 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Hughes

Bauben

Cowie

Nowak

Callachan

Martin

Stockton

Grzelak

Noring

I second the motion, 

Constant flux is good for the team. 

Why should the players know each other's names or the way back to their flat from Riccarton?

Sack or release the thirteen players above, bring in 17 new folk in the January window and fax the good news to Vlad's sub that we have found his businesses model down the back of the main stand foundations and we've decided to dial it up to 11. 

Steven Naismith... looking to move back scotland to finish his career. Been told he would consider a decent offer from any club .

think that would be worth putting an offer in

8 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

More than a few contracts to pay out then?

Maybe some stupid managers out there might want some of them after all we signed them.

5 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Lot of those players are good back up and coming onto a game. I think its very harsh on Callachan who has played 8 games for us and you are already wanting rid of him. Cowie is also another I'd keep given he is one of the fittest players in the squad despite nearing pension age. Buaben again, is good backup on the bench and actually was not the worst player on the park, and has come on to a game in the last few games. I think you need to relax a bit the amount you are wanting rid of...but I certainly agree with the rest of the players you have quoted. I want to see us sign players that we will have next season to build a team from. That's where Aberdeen have excelled in - building a strong consistent team over the years, bringing in one ort two high quality players every window, as opposed to 6 or 7.

Well for me back-up players who couldn't hold down a first team place has no right to be a Hearts player. Cowie does next to nothing for long periods of the game yes he disappears then burst into action for 5 to 10 minutes then disappears gain. Not good enough.

Callachan needs to improve too many parts of his game and because of this he's lost his confidence. Maybe extra coaching on his weaknesses might help the lad.

Please don't make me scream when you think Bauben should be kept.

And please believe me Aberdeen are not a very good team i's just that too many teams in this league are rubbish.

5 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Half of that lot have 18 months left on contract and Martín has over 2 years, be tough to shift any of them on. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/heart-of-midlothian-fc/kader/verein/43/saison_id/2017/plus/1

Maybe a gadgy like Cathro might be out there managing some poor team.

Then again maybe not.

Bazzas right boot
On 27/12/2017 at 09:17, jambmoz said:

Although we need a few in, I'm not convinced we will do much this window. Cash is still extremely tight.

Nah, cash isn't that tight.

We'll get at least 3 in.

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, 80bob said:

Steven Naismith... looking to move back scotland to finish his career. Been told he would consider a decent offer from any club .

Naismith and Lafferty up front for a couple of  seasons ?

9 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Might be easier than you think. The tax rules change in April making severance pay less attractive then than now. A tranche of people have left at my work now rather wait for the effects of restructuring being favourable or otherwise. 

8 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

That could be fantastic, can’t see it myself though, there would be a fee which we don’t have

10 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Huns hate him, not good enough for Celtic so I'd say its us or Hibs if he wants to stay centrally.

Unless he has some loyalty to Killie and wants to finish things up where they started?

He'd be an excellent signing and would really be a statement of intent going towards the end of the season. Like, I'd fancy us to sneak europe. 

On 2017-12-28 at 17:24, mitch41 said:

Hughes

Bauben

Cowie

Nowak

Callachan

Martin

Stockton

Grzelak

Noring

Ah, the Ian Cathro approach to January transfer windows. Worth a try. What could possibly go wrong...

kingantti1874
17 hours ago, 80bob said:

Would be an incredible signing.. Must go for it if we can

Not seen it mentioned but Levein saying today rumoured interest in Soutar from Derby ( although he thinks he wilk stay until summer) !!

41 minutes ago, steve123 said:

Not seen it mentioned but Levein saying today rumoured interest in Soutar from Derby ( although he thinks he wilk stay until summer) !!

If true let's hope the club get the pricing correct this time.

5 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

If true let's hope the club get the pricing correct this time.

Yea he does say he is our most valuable asset at the moment and the club don't need to sell  !!

7 hours ago, OTT said:

Huns hate him, not good enough for Celtic so I'd say its us or Hibs if he wants to stay centrally.

Unless he has some loyalty to Killie and wants to finish things up where they started?

He'd be an excellent signing and would really be a statement of intent going towards the end of the season. Like, I'd fancy us to sneak europe. 

I’d be surprised to see him go back to Killie, he wasn’t openly critical of their plastic pitch a few interviews ago.

was also touting himself back to der hun but ok football Ability would I want him here? absolutely

9 minutes ago, BM1874 said:

I’d be surprised to see him go back to Killie, he wasn’t openly critical of their plastic pitch a few interviews ago.

was also touting himself back to der hun but ok football Ability would I want him here? absolutely

I was told he would even consider Killie which to me suggests Killie are not high on his list.

7 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Ah, the Ian Cathro approach to January transfer windows. Worth a try. What could possibly go wrong...

Yes which was sanctioned by none other than our very own DOF. Clearly stated in the minutes from the q&a at the AGM.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, wavydavy said:

Yes which was sanctioned by none other than our very own DOF. Clearly stated in the minutes from the q&a at the AGM.

So you are kicking for supporting the manager.. He'd have been equally kicked if he hadn't and Brought in his own players.. No win.. 

35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

So you are kicking for supporting the manager.. He'd have been equally kicked if he hadn't and Brought in his own players.. No win.. 

Not kicking at all just pointing out what the DOF said in reply to a question raised at the AGM to which he gave an honest reply contrary to the beliefs of many on here previously.

I look forward to seeing the standard of players we bring in now that we have a committee seemingly involved in deciding who we bring in.

46 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Not kicking at all just pointing out what the DOF said in reply to a question raised at the AGM to which he gave an honest reply contrary to the beliefs of many on here previously.

I look forward to seeing the standard of players we bring in now that we have a committee seemingly involved in deciding who we bring in.

Davy, can you not just give it a rest for a little while.

He was backing his H/Coach.  If he didn't he would have been accused by you of interfering.

The standard of player we get will be commensurate with the money available so live with it.  There will be no Messi type signings.  He has not done too badly with Berra and McLaughlin while Randall on loan is not the worst player I've seen.

21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Davy, can you not just give it a rest for a little while.

He was backing his H/Coach.  If he didn't he would have been accused by you of interfering.

The standard of player we get will be commensurate with the money available so live with it.  There will be no Messi type signings.  He has not done too badly with Berra and McLaughlin while Randall on loan is not the worst player I've seen.

These sort of comments work two ways. What you find tedious does not apply to everyone. What have I said in my last comment that is a problem? It is a direct quote from Craig Levein in answer to a quetion raised at the AGM.

I am looking forward to seeing what standard of player we are goping to bring in now that we seem to have changed how we identify players we want to bring to the club.

I agree that Berra, McLaughlin and Randall are all decent signings albeit that we may struggle to keep McLaughlin and Randall is obviously a loan player and will return to Liverpool presumably.

I'm not sure when you became an expert at mind reading though when you are telling me what I would have said. :laugh:

Archived