The January Window ( merged )

Bauld

54 minutes ago, Rents said:

They have now signed 4 strikers to replace Cummings(Keep up the good work popcorn teeth) it's a risk as you have stated how many players have moved from Australia and torn up our league?  Throw in he has not played for 3 months and only 7 in 2017 it's a huge risk plus its well known he has large wage demands. Seems to me that our management team bumped him but you crack on believing the papers. 

My my bet is he won't get 4 goals.

Hope you are correct. So if we had got him it would have been another dreadfully bad signing yet again from us?? 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Is that him quoted or just paper talk.

Norwich reportedly have two English clubs prepared to pay £10k towards his wages so I don't see how that will work unless he is telling Norwich he doesn't want any pay if it's Sevco.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
17 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Hope you are correct. So if we had got him it would have been another dreadfully bad signing yet again from us?? 

I think the phrase you are looking for is value for money. We don't know how good or bad he may be but we didn't pay over the odds, they have for point scoring. Like all Hearts fans we hope it comes back to bite Hibs in the erse big style

:fth:

59 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I'd of thought that signing targets would of been identified months ago.  And i'd expect that the players we would like to move on have had their agents told to find them new clubs. The detail is all in the planning. We have to be ready for the Hibs cup game.

Aye it's dead simple Mitch.  Just like shelling peas. 

BobbyJenkins
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

I'd of thought that signing targets would of been identified months ago.  And i'd expect that the players we would like to move on have had their agents told to find them new clubs. The detail is all in the planning. We have to be ready for the Hibs cup game.

Is it Mitch, gies yer experience of scouting and signing players. Cheers.

Jambof3tornado

It would be nice to find a few new faces turning up at the training camp. I'm not panicking yet especially as hibs have only brought in a back up goalie and another striker to fight for starting slots but I'd hope for some positive movement soon.

3 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

It would be nice to find a few new faces turning up at the training camp. I'm not panicking yet especially as hibs have only brought in a back up goalie and another striker to fight for starting slots but I'd hope for some positive movement soon.

I think we are just waiting on the Lafferty appeal as this may determine which options are most urgent.

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Goncalves at an airport.. was it today they all flew out?

No, it's the 11th...

:look: 

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Coming back from his time off

1 hour ago, rick witter said:

We have had a few with our previous coaches that is for sure. Luckily we have an experienced manager in now who knows how to setup a team to win premier league games. Also has a eye for a decent signing the only way is up.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Aye it's dead simple Mitch.  Just like shelling peas. 

Hard work is what it is.

1 hour ago, BobbyJenkins said:

Is it Mitch, gies yer experience of scouting and signing players. Cheers.

My policy when i managed was to always sign a better player than the one that left.

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

My policy when i managed was to always sign a better player than the one that left.

That's a tremendous policy which must have brought you much success and many trophies.

Unfortunately not everyone has the money to do that and quite often the player(s) they want aren't always available but don't let me keep you back from your Championship Manager, or whatever.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Insightful.

Right up there with the ethos of " score at least one more goal than the other team" in order to win a game.

Dunno why  every club doesn't adopt such philosophies.

9 hours ago, rick witter said:

Welcome to Kickback where the manager gets criticised for not making a dreadfully bad signing 

The Internet
9 hours ago, rick witter said:

You're all over the place man. 

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

You're all over the place man. 

Tell me how exactly??? 

Before this guy McLaren goes to Hibs 80% of people on this forum were saying what a great player he was and what a signing it would be. Now they sign him and he is a waste of money?? 

Now ive not seen the guy play so not sure what he is like but all I did was point out the above. By the way I hope he is shite but we can’t just say he is because he signs for someone else FFS. How is that all over the place?? 

The Internet
2 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Tell me how exactly??? 

Before this guy McLaren goes to Hibs 80% of people on this forum were saying what a great player he was and what a signing it would be. Now they sign him and he is a waste of money?? 

Now ive not seen the guy play so not sure what he is like but all I did was point out the above. By the way I hope he is shite but we can’t just say he is because he signs for someone else FFS. How is that all over the place?? 

Maybe I missed the sarcasm :lol: Hard to tell on this place at times. In that case I agree, apologies. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

If he leaves it will be on a slow boat.....

letsalldothebeattie
10 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

That was him and his family arriving back from a holiday. Milinkovic was the same he arrived back to Edinburgh last night as well

Bazzas right boot

Maybe if we had a dof we'd have had things all lined up- like Rangers.

The advantages of having a dof, maybe we should try it?

2 hours ago, rick witter said:

Tell me how exactly??? 

Ryan McGowans assessment of the player seems to indicate that he is exactly the type of player we need...a penalty box striker. We should not be losing out to the likes of Hibs with players like that. My concern is whether the management want that type of striker or whether they are again going to opt for a big , immobile 6ft plus striker in the mould of Bjorn Johnson. If we wanted the guy MacLaren then should have pushed the boat out to get him. Left backs can wait  we urgently need pacy, creative players and a penalty box striker who can convert chances.

16 hours ago, Rents said:

Seeing as people seemed to be obsessed with who Hibs are signing.

The hard facts are in this window they have signed Bain and Mclaren. This actually is to cover mistakes made by Lennon in the Summer transfer window(stokes and marciano) Hibs fans seem to be as gullible as Rangers fans( and some on here) when it comes to press stories. They are told they gazumped Hearts to Mclaren so they are all buzzing when in reality its actually wasting money. Long may this continue if we had signed Mclaughlin then brought in Bain I would be asking questions on recruitment not the hobos though they are delighted because they gazumped the yams likesay.

They signed a keeper as there sub goalie is out til the end of the season and they needed a striker cos there not taking enough chances. Makes perfect sense to me. We need to respond with some exciting and ambitious signings. Time to take back our city 

1 minute ago, dallan said:

The only positive here is that he has hardly played in a year so won't be on top of his game anytime soon...

Unknown to an Ace overnight,did the Ace pass the medical?

Geoff the Mince
2 hours ago, rick witter said:

Tell me how exactly??? 

Stop being a drama queen , Some nomark signs for the Filth and you go full mental . Chill out .

17 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ryan McGowans assessment of the player seems to indicate that he is exactly the type of player we need...a penalty box striker. We should not be losing out to the likes of Hibs with players like that. My concern is whether the management want that type of striker or whether they are again going to opt for a big , immobile 6ft plus striker in the mould of Bjorn Johnson. If we wanted the guy MacLaren then should have pushed the boat out to get him. Left backs can wait  we urgently need pacy, creative players and a penalty box striker who can convert chances.

I agree.

The disappointing thing is that with only 12 days to go before arguably our biggest game of the season, we seem no further forward in signing the one or two creative/impact players we urgently need.

We have 3 strikers at the club. Our main guy is very likely to be suspended, another is woefully short of confidence and commitment, and our third guy hasn't scored all season.

Whether or not we actually have Lafferty for the match, it's fairly obvious that we need strengthening up front.

That to me should be our priority.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

So you would rather we had a glaring imbalance in the team, which would deny us the chance to move the ball forward more quickly thus negating the value of a penalty box striker. Same said striker which is going to burn a rather large hole in the pocket for what gain exactly?

59 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Even if it meant going down the debt ridden road.  We should be buying on a value for money basis until the club is financially secure before we push any boats out.

54 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Maybe we didn’t think he was worth the money that Hibs were prepared to pay for him? We’ll need to wait and see who we sign before we can have an opinion on whether we are getting the right type of players, or not. I don’t like the waiting but hopefully we’ll find out soon.

Then we can all agree to disagre. ?

I’m disgusted  that a player I’d never heard of till last week and never seen play has signed for Hibs rather than us. Outrageous. Sign someone Levin, anyone just make it quick

26 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I’m disgusted  that a player I’d never heard of till last week and never seen play has signed for Hibs rather than us. Outrageous. Sign someone Levin, anyone just make it quick

I find it curious.

They have Simon Murray, Stokes, Oli Shaw, Matulevicius and Boyle all forwards and now they've added McClaren who is apparently been on a high wage that needed covered. 

Oli has just broken into the first team and is scoring goals. Boyle is their pace man who plays wide and makes things happen. Stokes will be expensive but seemingly a bit useless these days and Murray is their top scorer. The Lith lad hasn't scored in 12 but they seem to think he's a good player and needs more games/time.

Signing this guy feels like a revenge shot for signing Lafferty. I can see no reason unless they offload a couple of players to sign another expensive striker. Especially with a promising young talent like Shaw emerging.

Clerry Jambo
7 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I find it curious.

They have Simon Murray, Stokes, Oli Shaw, Matulevicius and Boyle all forwards and now they've added McClaren who is apparently been on a high wage that needed covered. 

Oli has just broken into the first team and is scoring goals. Boyle is their pace man who plays wide and makes things happen. Stokes will be expensive but seemingly a bit useless these days and Murray is their top scorer. The Lith lad hasn't scored in 12 but they seem to think he's a good player and needs more games/time.

Signing this guy feels like a revenge shot for signing Lafferty. I can see no reason unless they offload a couple of players to sign another expensive striker. Especially with a promising young talent like Shaw emerging.

Was the Lith not released?

letsalldothebeattie
1 minute ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Was the Lith not released?

The other one was Slivka or something like that the midfielder not the striker. The striker one came on at Tynie 

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

This new guy may be good. We will get a look at him soon enough......

They sure are chucking money at forwards and I wonder where they are getting the money. 

Mind you they did save 8 million when they shafted the tax payer up the chorus with their bank deal. 

Hibs throwing money away on expensive loans before a cup game.

Sure they did that before did they not?

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

This new guy may be good. We will get a look at him soon enough......

They sure are chucking money at forwards and I wonder where they are getting the money. 

Mind you they did save 8 million when they shafted the tax payer up the chorus with their bank deal. 

A good indication that McGinn is on his way out.  This signing is nothing more that a sop for their support. Make them think they pipped us. The truth in fact is that we lost interest in him.

13 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

The other one was Slivka or something like that the midfielder not the striker. The striker one came on at Tynie 

Slivka still at Hibs. The striker came on at tynie yes, but has been told he can go for free.

13 minutes ago, Deevers said:

A good indication that McGinn is on his way out.  This signing is nothing more that a sop for their support. Make them think they pipped us. The truth in fact is that we lost interest in him.

Also rules them out of bringing Cummings back.

Wouldn't shock me if Rangers took him though. They need a Miller replacement. 

They've just offloaded Pena who cost them 2m in the summer. Don't know what they just got for him but I doubt it was near that. They also can't sign Martin until they've shifted Alves who must be on a massive chunk of wages. 

If Cummings was available for a return up the road and he was willing to come to us I'd say we're best placed to sign him if we want him.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Maybe we didn’t think he was worth the money that Hibs were prepared to pay for him? We’ll need to wait and see who we sign before we can have an opinion on whether we are getting the right type of players, or not. I don’t like the waiting but hopefully we’ll find out soon.

Then we can all agree to disagre. ?

Hopefully Dave. I look forward to disagreeing....or maybe even agreeing!

? Football Talk: Is Nadir Ciftci the new Louis Moult? He looks set to sign for Motherwell on loan from Celtic. buff.ly/2Eo5woI

Since this is supposed to be about transfer stories, quite amazed that Arsenal are rumoured to be putting in a £25m bid for Jonny Evans but are worried that Man City may be after him as well. Decent defender but not one anyone thought would be back at the sharp end of the table after he left Man Utd. Also they want £30m for Sanchez, a player who is out of contract in the summer!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Heard a whisper Cummings may have been offered to Aberdeen. Not my ITK source, potential to be ballocks. Also heard they have been given approval for the land, but I am not bringing that thread back up!

7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Heard a whisper Cummings may have been offered to Aberdeen. Not my ITK source, potential to be ballocks. Also heard they have been given approval for the land, but I am not bringing that thread back up!

How many strikers do Aberdeen need? They seem to have been interested in every attacking player going ,over the last few years. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

How many strikers do Aberdeen need? They seem to have been interested in every attacking player going ,over the last few years. 

Touted to them rather than other way about as I understand it. As I say, could be fan talk this one.

Bazzas right boot

We'll need to bring back Sammon and Zannata to bolster our attacking options at this rate.

fabienleclerq
36 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Since this is supposed to be about transfer stories, quite amazed that Arsenal are rumoured to be putting in a £25m bid for Jonny Evans but are worried that Man City may be after him as well. Decent defender but not one anyone thought would be back at the sharp end of the table after he left Man Utd. Also they want £30m for Sanchez, a player who is out of contract in the summer!

Is it not more for having homegrown players in the squad for Europe?

Archived