Bitcoin and all that

Unknown user

HeinzTomatoSoup
1 minute ago, graygo said:

:rofl:

It's JKB, I think most of the folk on this thread see it as a bit of fun not a means to invest for their retirement.

Speak to an independent financial advisor would be my advice.

I just mean, if i had invested a few years back then i could have probably could have retired going by some of the figures branded about earlier in this thread.

So maybe i'm best looking elsewhere if there is unlikely going to be a decent return on my investment.

But Bitcoin is still relatively unknown or unused so still alot of opportunity for growth.

Passive investment is being in it for the long run, which maybe seems like a good way to go for when i do retire.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Jeff

• Rudolf's Mate

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

I just mean, if i had invested a few years back then i could have probably could have retired going by some of the figures branded about earlier in this thread.

So maybe i'm best looking elsewhere if there is unlikely going to be a decent return on my investment.

But Bitcoin is still relatively unknown or unused so still alot of opportunity for growth.

Passive investment is being in it for the long run, which maybe seems like a good way to go for when i do retire.

Fair enough, my last sentence stands though.

19 minutes ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

There is potential for growth, but the truth is the market's mental, unpredictable as ****. I think people are crazy putting serious money into this. It's far too volatile to trust your future with. 

jack D and coke
28 minutes ago, graygo said:

:rofl:

It's JKB, I think most of the folk on this thread see it as a bit of fun not a means to invest for their retirement.

Speak to an independent financial advisor would be my advice.

I don’t think you should speak to any financial advisor personally. They are like the rest of us in that they only have opinions. I have two mates who are both in that job and they couldnt have more opposing views on it. One of my mates is literally seething about bitcoin and cryptos and is praying for its demise just so he can be proved right. If you get someone like that what kind of advice is he going to give you? Certainly not balanced.  I’ve had advice in the past that has turned out to absolutely woeful and if I’d went with my own instincts I’d have saved myself a lot of money. 

I wouldn’t put my mortgage on anything and if you keep it that way you won’t get too burned. 

HeartOfWestLothian
1 hour ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Do people think its too late now to jump on the bandwagon and buy bitcoin?

i have been looking into investments lately but not sure i want to put my eggs all in one basket so to speak.

Was looking at backing multiple markets suppose to one using passive investment strategies.

I would look at Ethereum and Litecoin if I was you, I think they have more room to grow over the next year than Bitcoin.

Rudolf's Mate

If I was to give any advice it would be to get involved in Bitcoin. Only reason is I’ve just exchanged my Bitcoin for IOTA and nap Bitcoin will surge and IOTA to take a dive :rofl:

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

If I was to give any advice it would be to get involved in Bitcoin. Only reason is I’ve just exchanged my Bitcoin for IOTA and nap Bitcoin will surge and IOTA to take a dive :rofl:

You’re no real mate!! 

I only thought I was impatient and impulsive :lol: 

Rudolf's Mate
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

You’re no real mate!! 

I only thought I was impatient and impulsive :lol: 

Its more a case of me wanting to test things out such as sending externally and also applying a trade. I was going to stick some more in to do this but thought seeing as it’s going to take an almighty surge just to even get back my fees etc I might as well use what’s already in there. But yes, itchy feet (fingers) also played a bit part :gok:

The IOTA’s will be staying put though. Those are there for the long, long term. 

15 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

Its more a case of me wanting to test things out such as sending externally and also applying a trade. I was going to stick some more in to do this but thought seeing as it’s going to take an almighty surge just to even get back my fees etc I might as well use what’s already in there. But yes, itchy feet (fingers) also played a bit part :gok:

The IOTA’s will be staying put though. Those are there for the long, long term. 

Iota took a mental jump off 400% when a partnership with microsoft was in the news, but it's come out that they're not partners, they're just a participant in testing their technology. That market's going south IMO

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/iota-price-drops-co-founder-admits-microsoft-not-partner-participant/

Edited by Smithee

Rudolf's Mate
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Iota took a mental jump off 400% when a partnership with microsoft was in the news, but it's come out that they're not partners, they're just a participant in testing their technology. That market's going south IMO

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/iota-price-drops-co-founder-admits-microsoft-not-partner-participant/

Its about £32 invested. If it hits zero I’ll no be pissing my pants at the prospect ??‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

Its about £32 invested. If it hits zero I’ll no be pissing my pants at the prospect ??‍♂️

Quite right too

10 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

You won't care one iota?

moray.jpg

Rudolf's Mate
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You won't care one iota?

moray.jpg

:touche:

I read the link that Smithee posted and despite the price drop of yesterday, IMO the article actually paints a better picture than a bleak one. I read IOTA’s white paper which, along with the price was a reason I was happy to throw a little amount of cash at. 

1 minute ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

:touche:

I read the link that Smithee posted and despite the price drop of yesterday, IMO the article actually paints a better picture than a bleak one. I read IOTA’s white paper which, along with the price was a reason I was happy to throw a little amount of cash at. 

What's your thoughts? Is Tangle a big deal?

Rudolf's Mate
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

What's your thoughts? Is Tangle a big deal?

If I genuinely thought it was I’d have stuck more than £30 odd on IOTA’s however it doesn’t stop me from taking a pretty uneducated punt. 

8 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

If I genuinely thought it was I’d have stuck more than £30 odd on IOTA’s however it doesn’t stop me from taking a pretty uneducated punt. 

I read the thing and didn't understand the more techy side of it but I got good and bad from it. The good is that to have a transaction go through your node has to process two transactions, which takes out the need for the blockchain transaction fee.

The bad is that the ledger isn't synced up everywhere and contradictory transactions are possible. This could be exploited to my technologically simple mind. 

Rudolf's Mate
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I read the thing and didn't understand the more techy side of it but I got good and bad from it. The good is that to have a transaction go through your node has to process two transactions, which takes out the need for the blockchain transaction fee.

The bad is that the ledger isn't synced up everywhere and contradictory transactions are possible. This could be exploited to my technologically simple mind. 

They seem to think that it’s more secure. Admittedly I know zilch about this aspect. I’d looked a Tron as well and read that IBM was heavily or about to be involved with them. Tbh I was leaning towards them however I saw IOTA price drop and thought ah **** it.

Been just over a week since my £50 bitcoin was bought. It's basically stayed at around the £60 level (which is reached within a few hours after buying) since then. From what I've seen it hit a low of about £53 and a high of £68.

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Been just over a week since my £50 bitcoin was bought. It's basically stayed at around the £60 level (which is reached within a few hours after buying) since then. From what I've seen it hit a low of about £53 and a high of £68.

Ethereum is where the big rises have been this week. Up 45% in two days. 

Ok so it's payday tomorrow and i fancy getting involved after reading this thread. I've £40 that i'm happy to blow if nothing else.

Can anyone provide links to where i can read up on stuff that has been mentioned already and perhaps some that haven't. Links to buy as well.

Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Ethereum is where the big rises have been this week. Up 45% in two days. 

Yep. Glad I didn't hedge all my bets on Litecoin and split it with Ethereum.

Up £100 on Etherium. :D 

Up 75p on Litecoin. :(

Up £140 on Bitcoin. :D

All a bit down on yesterday though. 

William H. Bonney

I was advised to invest in vertcoin so that's where my money has gone. 

No sure it will achieve rises like Bitcoin but you never know. 

HeartOfWestLothian
29 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Litecoin is having an absolute 'mare today.

Weak hands cashing out hopefully. 

Dean Winchester
5 minutes ago, HeartOfWestLothian said:

Weak hands cashing out hopefully. 

Almost definitely. Pretty sure they've all been switching to XRP. I expect XRP to drop a fair bit over the next day and LTC to slowly rise back up.

9 hours ago, HeinzTomatoSoup said:

Do people think its too late now to jump on the bandwagon and buy bitcoin?

i have been looking into investments lately but not sure i want to put my eggs all in one basket so to speak.

Was looking at backing multiple markets suppose to one using passive investment strategies.

Look at this way -- every day there is some equity, somewhere in the world, that is blowing up, and if you'd gotten in on it you could have gotten rich. But you didn't know about it or you guessed wrong so you didn't.

At the same time, there are even more people trying to get in on these kinds of things and losing their shirts because they got taken for a ride or just got unlucky.

Thinking about what you're missing out on will make you go insane, and it's not worth it, because likely as not if you'd tried to get in on it you'd have missed the boat by timing it wrong, gotten fleeced, or just been unlucky.

Invest in what you know and in markets you understand, preferably where you know and are sure you can trust some people involved. Even better if it helps someone do something good. You probably won't get the explosive returns, but getting those is like buying a lottery ticket.

17 hours ago, Homme said:

Ok so it's payday tomorrow and i fancy getting involved after reading this thread. I've £40 that i'm happy to blow if nothing else.

Can anyone provide links to where i can read up on stuff that has been mentioned already and perhaps some that haven't. Links to buy as well.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know how to answer this, everything I know is on this thread! From what I've read though a lot of your 40 quid could be eaten up by fees so double check everything before going ahead. I haven't had much bother with fees myself (I'm wondering if it's because I do everything in euros) but plenty have complained about them. 

Use Google, there's loads of chat out there about the subject. I'm betting on the market dropping for a little while before recovering and growing again so separate from my original 100gbp in Bitcoin which is going nowhere, I've got 70 euros in Coinbase, waiting to pounce. I'll add dribs and drabs until the time's right. 

Good luck

2 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

Bubbletastic thread.

I'd like to think everyone involved here knows there's a significant chance of losing the lot, that's the nature of speculation. But you're right of course, the only questions are when does the bubble burst and how big will the drop be.

But honestly, I've never traded stocks or anything so I've nothing to compare it to but it's a mental rush when there's a surge in value, totally worth what I've put in

Edited by Smithee

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I'd like to think everyone involved here knows there's a significant chance of losing the lot, that's the nature of speculation. But you're right of course, the only questions are when does the bubble burst and how big will the drop be.

But honestly, I've never traded stocks or anything so I've nothing to compare it to but it's a mental rush when there's a surge in value, totally worth what I've put in

In case you ever need it. ;)

https://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/

Rudolf's Mate

I don’t see anyone saying they’ve gone baw deep and sunk their life savings in anything so not sure why some are eager to try and ram home what everyone ultimately knows.

The only money I’m sticking in is the cash I was wasting on my footy coupons. 

6 hours ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

I don’t see anyone saying they’ve gone baw deep and sunk their life savings in anything so not sure why some are eager to try and ram home what everyone ultimately knows.

The only money I’m sticking in is the cash I was wasting on my footy coupons. 

Zactly - bit of fun. Put £100 in it and loving watching how it does.

Could end with nothing but having fun watching it, just like a bet at the bookies.

Rudolf's Mate
12 hours ago, graygo said:

Zactly - bit of fun. Put £100 in it and loving watching how it does.

Could end with nothing but having fun watching it, just like a bet at the bookies.

Pretty much how I see it.

I moved my paltry £36 odds from Bitcoin elsewhere simply because even with huge surges it wasn’t going to make much difference to me. It’s been mentioned that within 20 years it could hit $1M per Bitcoin but that would be 20 years to see my investment grow to around £1700. Personally I’d rather take punts elsewhere.

A Korean exchange has been hacked which has caused bitcoin to plunge a bit. I've jumped on the opportunity and sold my Ripple for bitcoin in the hope the bounce back will net a nice profit

Rudolf's Mate
10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Good eh? I'm hoping Ripple's next

Haha no gonna get my hopes up just yet. 

Looks lime Bitcoin Cash is enjoying a bit of a surge, no doubt at Bitcoins expense. More than doubled in last week alone.

HeinzTomatoSoup
53 minutes ago, Smithee said:

A Korean exchange has been hacked which has caused bitcoin to plunge a bit. I've jumped on the opportunity and sold my Ripple for bitcoin in the hope the bounce back will net a nice profit

Or it could be the start of the bubble bursting?