Bitcoin and all that

Unknown user

The Mighty Thor
45 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I'm currently 75% down but I think I'll be 10,000x+ in a year or two. I might be crazy 🤷 but I don't think so 🤣

44 minutes ago, Selkirk_Jambo said:

I've just about recovered my losses from the last crash. Bought a few Tezos coins at pretty much their lowest ebb and they've rebounded nicely. 

Hoping for a nice wee profit in the coming months. Probably crash again tomorrow, mind :D

Everything is still well down on 12 months ago. 

I'm like you IJ I reckon it'll grow bigly over the next 2-5 years. 

Either that or I'll lose the lot 😂

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Jeff

• Rudolf's Mate

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watt-Zeefuik

Bitcoin alone is now consuming 35% of the electricity dedicated to computing power globally. It consumes more power than Sweden. And increasingly, old fossil fuel plants are being used to power operations.

There are just a few options now. It can move off of the "proof of work" standard. If it does not, government regulation of money entering or exiting the crypto market will be increasingly likely, with high power consumption currencies facing tariffs or fees.

Or we just cook the planet because the idea of a digital equity was kinda neato.

46 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Bitcoin alone is now consuming 35% of the electricity dedicated to computing power globally. It consumes more power than Sweden. And increasingly, old fossil fuel plants are being used to power operations.

There are just a few options now. It can move off of the "proof of work" standard. If it does not, government regulation of money entering or exiting the crypto market will be increasingly likely, with high power consumption currencies facing tariffs or fees.

Or we just cook the planet because the idea of a digital equity was kinda neato.

Most crypto doesn't have any relationship with bitcoin. 

As for your last comment 🤦. In a few years time big business isn't going to exist without crypto, they're going to be entwined. It's a case of joining the party or being left behind.

Watt-Zeefuik
32 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Most crypto doesn't have any relationship with bitcoin. 

As for your last comment 🤦. In a few years time big business isn't going to exist without crypto, they're going to be entwined. It's a case of joining the party or being left behind.

This is why I specifically wrote it about Bitcoin, because the comment was specifically about Bitcoin. If I were meaning to write about all of crypto, I would have said that, but instead I made it clear I was talking about Bitcoin.

As to your last comment, LOL no. I know this brainworm has gotten hold of some big techbro CEOs with lots of money but it's completely ungrounded in macroeconomics. Crypto doesn't even function well as currency—the fact that you need a stablecoin to facilitate transactions in it should be a tipoff that it's just a boutique equity.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

This is why I specifically wrote it about Bitcoin, because the comment was specifically about Bitcoin. If I were meaning to write about all of crypto, I would have said that, but instead I made it clear I was talking about Bitcoin.

As to your last comment, LOL no. I know this brainworm has gotten hold of some big techbro CEOs with lots of money but it's completely ungrounded in macroeconomics. Crypto doesn't even function well as currency—the fact that you need a stablecoin to facilitate transactions in it should be a tipoff that it's just a boutique equity.

I agree crypto won't do what people think but the shared ledger principle behind it is strong and you'd think it'll be integrated into conventional banking more and more

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, Smithee said:

I agree crypto won't do what people think but the shared ledger principle behind it is strong and you'd think it'll be integrated into conventional banking more and more

It's certainly an interesting model, and there's an argument for it being integrated with existing financial systems. I don't know nearly enough about modern electronic finance to comment at that level—I admit I don't know how major bank wire transfers are secured and I could believe there are crypto solutions to that which could work rather well. The coming establishment of CBDCs is going to change everything, of course, as they're likely going to become the stablecoin of choice for everything, but again, I'm not keeping up with how all that works.

What I am confident enough in saying is, as it sounds like you agree, the triumphalist stuff about crypto permanently (or even ever displacing more than niche instances) "fiat currency" is absolute bollocks born of warmed over libertarian gold standard nostalgia.

But for that to happen, crypto as a whole (including Bitcoin but also some other chains) absolutely has to address its energy and carbon problems.

9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

You didn't just write it about Bitcoin though. You went on to speak of the whole of crypto "government regulation of money entering or exiting the crypto market will be increasingly likely"

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, IronJambo said:

You didn't just write it about Bitcoin though. You went on to speak of the whole of crypto "government regulation of money entering or exiting the crypto market will be increasingly likely"

What, you think if governments create international conventions to regulate crypto production, they're just going to say, "this is for Bitcoin and Bitcoin only?"

Bitcoin has a huge problem right now with carbon production. It needs to fix it. Other, far less well known chains have similar problems that also need to be fixed and also will fall under regulatory action. Bitcoin will be the one that spurs the action, but the action won't just impact Bitcoin.

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

What, you think if governments create international conventions to regulate crypto production, they're just going to say, "this is for Bitcoin and Bitcoin only?"

Bitcoin has a huge problem right now with carbon production. It needs to fix it. Other, far less well known chains have similar problems that also need to be fixed and also will fall under regulatory action. Bitcoin will be the one that spurs the action, but the action won't just impact Bitcoin.

You may find that Russian oligarchs using crypto to dissolve and hide assets from sanctions hastens this.

governments don’t like people hiding money they want a slice of.

they also don’t want things they cannot seize/ tax/ track.

it will all tumble down

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

You may find that Russian oligarchs using crypto to dissolve and hide assets from sanctions hastens this.

it will all tumble down

Indeed. I don't think crypto is ever going to completely go away, but continue to be worried about small players getting absolutely hosed when the titans in the exchanges move to protect themselves.

37 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

it will all tumble down

The sky will tumble down first. Governments already track and tax crypto with capital gains tax and income tax. Nothing can be hidden on the blockchain. Centralised Exchanges give them all the info they want. They will only have a problem with Decentralised Exchanges.

Edited by IronJambo

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

What are peoples thought on XRP?

I am holding out for it too moon. 

There'll be a boom when whales decide there's a boom, they'll cash in at peak, the market will crash and the cycle will start again.

Along the way some coins will come in and go out of fashion, and if you're very lucky you might be holding the right one at the right time, but there's really no way of knowing I reckon

Edited by Smithee

7 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Keep a seat for me, might be a while away right enough. 😎

spirt of 98
10 minutes ago, graygo said:

Keep a seat for me, might be a while away right enough. 😎

You think it will happen in nice the court case is over.

some wild predictions highest I’ve heard is 35k a coin. Which seams too much. I’d settle for 10 dollars 

The Mighty Thor
13 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Some wild predictions highest I’ve heard is 35k a coin. Which seams too much. I’d settle for 10 dollars 

It may well go up but to get top $8 a coin it would need to grow to a bigger market cap than Ethereum.

If it get's anywhere near $2.50 i'd be out as that'll likely be as good as it gets. 

*******Not Financial Advice*******

10 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

I had a decent stash of XRP once upon a time. Sold most of it when the SEC lawsuit was announced, as it was clear that it would go on for years.

Reckon it could go either way, either it's going to be part of the fabric of the global financial system or it'll slowly die. Odds are about 50:50 at the moment IMO.

16 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

I sold mine as I couldn't see it accumulating as much as I'd like and there's plenty of other tokens/coins to choose from. I think I bought and sold at $1.20. 

I personally think it could reach around $20 but it's a long way off and it would have been a mammoth wait for a 20x. 

spirt of 98

I’ve been hearing that the end of the SEC case is 30-90 days away with XRP ripple now odds on to win. 

This is when it will Moon or so folk are saying. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
SwindonJambo
18 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Buy the dip

I wouldn't jump too soon. Cryptos and the wider stock market are in for a rough ride with inflation and higher interest rates. The SP500 is back below 4,000. Lots of observers are predicting further falls.

You can always find a new bottom ...😳

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, SwindonJambo said:

I wouldn't jump too soon. Cryptos and the wider stock market are in for a rough ride with inflation and higher interest rates. The SP500 is back below 4,000. Lots of observers are predicting further falls.

You can always find a new bottom ...😳

Particularly for a pure commodity with no use value and no managing agency to stabilize its value.

A few bitcoin used to buy a pizza. It could end up back there again.

hughesie27
37 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Particularly for a pure commodity with no use value and no managing agency to stabilize its value.

Here's hoping. 

SwindonJambo
44 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Indeed and it would probably be no bad thing. A poorly regulated intangible commodity with a ludicrously inflated price, even still. There will be a hit to the wider market too, especially Tech Stocks. The Nasdaq is down nearly 30% in 6 months.

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

Indeed and it would probably be no bad thing. A poorly regulated intangible commodity with a ludicrously inflated price, even still. There will be a hit to the wider market too, especially Tech Stocks. The Nasdaq is down nearly 30% in 6 months.

It's going to absolutely destroy the lives of people who got tempted into the frenzy and now have huge amounts of their savings invested in a funny web of prime numbers.

And I feel like there's so much sunk in it emotionally for some people that we're going to go through a few more rotations of this with whatever comes after NFTs as people desperately look for the Crypto Thing That's Actually Going To Stick.

The main thing I hope is that Bitcoin crashes hard enough to shut down the giant carbon spewing mining operations and sends a fair few of the megaminers into bankruptcy. If anyone's going to get soaked in all this, I hope it's them.

A Boy Named Crow

My friends are growing avocados, I'm thinking about growing turnips. When the economy collapses, we'll be kings!

doctor jambo
On 12/05/2022 at 03:11, Led Tasso said:

It's going to absolutely destroy the lives of people who got tempted into the frenzy and now have huge amounts of their savings invested in a funny web of prime numbers.

And I feel like there's so much sunk in it emotionally for some people that we're going to go through a few more rotations of this with whatever comes after NFTs as people desperately look for the Crypto Thing That's Actually Going To Stick.

The main thing I hope is that Bitcoin crashes hard enough to shut down the giant carbon spewing mining operations and sends a fair few of the megaminers into bankruptcy. If anyone's going to get soaked in all this, I hope it's them.

It won’t be , it will be the little people, it always is.

The one thing I don’t get is why governments around the world allowed this to happen.

An entirely unregulated currency used in crime, drug dealing money laundering etc and did nothing to clamp down on it as a hazardous financial market.

What am I missing ?

50 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It won’t be , it will be the little people, it always is.

The one thing I don’t get is why governments around the world allowed this to happen.

An entirely unregulated currency used in crime, drug dealing money laundering etc and did nothing to clamp down on it as a hazardous financial market.

What am I missing ?

A lot of little people have made loads on crypto on its rise up, play at your own risk,no doubt the market makers are abusing it now though and it will be interesting how it rebounds, still hovering about $30k which is still historically high. Coin I want to buy but can't  has just gone up over 2000%. 😪

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Discount prices FFS. There a sale on aye?

obviously look at the graphs LTC all time high is $380-400 from last year trading at $64 today 

Sooperstar
2 minutes ago, Masonic said:

obviously look at the graphs LTC all time high is $380-400 from last year trading at $64 today 

Easy game this Crypto investing by the sounds of it. Price used to be higher? Buy. Free money.

Watt-Zeefuik

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the "Web3 is going just great" website is really astounding. She tracks scams, rug-pulls, implosions, and other sorts of funny business on Twitter meant to part ordinary people from their money as quickly as possible.

Just in the ones she's directly documented on the site, it's now almost $10 billion in crytpo-facilitated scams.

https://web3isgoinggreat.com/

2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the "Web3 is going just great" website is really astounding. She tracks scams, rug-pulls, implosions, and other sorts of funny business on Twitter meant to part ordinary people from their money as quickly as possible.

Just in the ones she's directly documented on the site, it's now almost $10 billion in crytpo-facilitated scams.

https://web3isgoinggreat.com/

Did you lose your life savings in crypto or something?

Watt-Zeefuik
13 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Did you lose your life savings in crypto or something?

Nope, I know people who've lost their life savings in scams that were half as dangerous.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Nope, I know people who've lost their life savings in scams that were half as dangerous.

You speak like all crypto is a scam. Like it or not, it's the future. 

Blockchain will be invaluable. We base our money on gold reserves. Lumps of metal 🤦. Lumps of metal props up our economy because we were told it's valuable, get your head around that.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
12 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Blockchain will be invaluable. We base our money on gold reserves. Lumps of metal 🤦. Lumps of metal props up our economy because we were told it's valuable, get your head around that.

ru still doing football bets mate ? the betting thread seems to have been pulled :(

nanny state kickback 😡

7 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

ru still doing football bets mate ? the betting thread seems to have been pulled :(

nanny state kickback 😡

No way! That's a dull one 😱

Nah, not been near it since the start of the first lockdown. Was taking £1200 a month from paddy power for nearly two years but covid changed it and I'd only be banking £400pm if I was still at it.

I Could diversify but I don't really have the time or the will. 

I've put a good chunk into crypto, it's my new "hustle".

Edited by IronJambo

Unknown user
35 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

We don't.

I agree Blockchain technology will inevitably be used in fiat currency but unregulated currencies that governments don't control will never fully take off IMO.

Being unregulated means it's completely volatile, as we've seen multiple times. If it's volatile and has a value that can be dictated by coordinated whale action then it's never going to be currency. 

It's a commodity, no one buys stuff with cryptocurrency

33 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We don't.

I agree Blockchain technology will inevitably be used in fiat currency but unregulated currencies that governments don't control will never fully take off IMO.

Being unregulated means it's completely volatile, as we've seen multiple times. If it's volatile and has a value that can be dictated by coordinated whale action then it's never going to be currency. 

It's a commodity, no one buys stuff with cryptocurrency

Blockchain isn't just going to be used in currencies, it's far bigger than that. 

And we can refer to them as currencies all we want but I'm pretty sure it's becoming an alternative to owning shares instead. Many cryptos are starting to mix it with real life use purposes and it's that mix that's interesting. 

It's still in its infancy but I think a huge percentage of them will die away when any kind of regulation comes in and it'll leave those in the space that have an actual use. Those that are just a token for the sake of being will just disappear. Them on the other hand that have launched as a crypto as an alternative to getting a bank loan or crowd funding because they have a real business will be left shining standing shoulder to shoulder with non crypto businesses.

The latter is folly though as there probably isn't a large business out there that hasn't already got involved in crypto at some level.

Edit: and yes, people do already use crypto to buy things. It's not hard to find a crypto debit card. All they have to do is swap their crypto to fiat in the CEX and it's there to spend. No bank account needed. In terms of being anonymous it's not that useful through a CEX, but a different story if it was a DEX. 

Edited by IronJambo

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

No way! That's a dull one 😱

Nah, not been near it since the start of the first lockdown. Was taking £1200 a month from paddy power for nearly two years but covid changed it and I'd only be banking £400pm if I was still at it.

I Could diversify but I don't really have the time or the will. 

Yeah I can’t find the betting thread anymore :(

got to move with the times I suppose - I’m a dinosaur tho - moving to the exchanges is as bold as I’ve got 

Unknown user
53 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Edit: and yes, people do already use crypto to buy things. It's not hard to find a crypto debit card. All they have to do is swap their crypto to fiat in the CEX and it's there to spend. No bank account needed. In terms of being anonymous it's not that useful through a CEX, but a different story if it was a DEX. 

That's not using it as a currency to buy things, that's being able to quickly turn it into a currency to buy things. It's still a commodity that you have to turn into currency.

I've seen so many white papers that promised this and that, invested in some too. I mind one that planned to buy a small bank to legitimise and allow joint fiat and crypto accounts, they had an agreement in place to buy one somewhere.

Then the Germans announced no one will do business with this bank if the deal goes through and that was that.

Cryptocurrency is interesting and all that but for all even I'm taking about "Blockchain Technology", all it really is, is a shared, and therefore easily verifiable and theoretically secure, ledger of transactions. It'll be relatively easy to integrate it into fiat ledgers, it's probably been done already.

But crypto's just a commodity, and a virtual one at that. Money can still be made with it of course, so good luck with it.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Just be careful mate, it was my new hustle when I started the thread 4 and a half years ago too!