Bitcoin and all that

Unknown user

Rudolf's Mate
3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

yeah I remember the thread you're talking about. What's the best way to keep track of the value and how many should you invest in to get a fair return?

There's a few sites out there however I've been using coin market cap No reason other than I watched a guy on YouTube talking about cryptocurrencies and he was using them. There's probably better out there though.

I honestly couldn't say however as others have said to me, only invest what you can afford/comfortable with. Jack D mentioned that there were 3 days recently if you'd had £1k invested you'd have made £600 on it. Huge risk but you're not likely to see short term returns like that anywhere else.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Jeff

• Rudolf's Mate

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

I remember there was a thread a few years ago on here about Dogecoin. People were taking the plunge back then and some were mentioning Bitcoin. Granted the returns from 3-4 years ago are going to be hard to beat (ok maybe impossible) however if it keeps going the way it is then it's still good value.

Pretty sure I bought about 10000 Doge coin for a fiver back then.

worth about £20 today.

Edited by hughesie27

17 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Pretty sure I bought about 10000 Doge coin for a fiver back then.

worth about £20 today.

Pretty sure I did the same. No idea what I did with my doge wallet though.

jGCAfIK.jpg

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Pretty sure I did the same. No idea what I did with my doge wallet though.

jGCAfIK.jpg

That was why I was asking earlier about how to recover your wallet if your computer ends up dying. Like mines did.

I'd probably still be able to recover it if I knew which program I had used. Saved all of the info for my bitcoins this time.

Rudolf's Mate
8 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

That was why I was asking earlier about how to recover your wallet if your computer ends up dying. Like mines did.

I'd probably still be able to recover it if I knew which program I had used. Saved all of the info for my bitcoins this time.

You can pickup a hard drive cradle for pennies. You’d basically remove the HD from the pc and plug it into the cradle and it would act like an external hard drive accessible by plugging into a laptop or another PC.

4 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

You can pickup a hard drive cradle for pennies. You’d basically remove the HD from the pc and plug it into the cradle and it would act like an external hard drive accessible by plugging into a laptop or another PC.

Cheers, I do still have the hard drive so ill look into that should Dogecoin explode :lol:

Rudolf's Mate
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Cheers, I do still have the hard drive so ill look into that should Dogecoin explode :lol:

Mines got a feckin virus that I kept shutting down before I could even get into the bios. I don’t miss the days of downloading your evenings viewing ?

9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Still profit for me so far. It's a long haul sort of thing. I might buy more if the expected drop comes on Sunday.

Yes still in profit and you're right, just a bit of fun for me and playing the long game.

11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Still profit for me so far. It's a long haul sort of thing. I might buy more if the expected drop comes on Sunday.

There's a second futures company which will start a week on Monday, I'd be waiting till after that one too myself

Also I should note if anyone has lost coins they would like to attempt to recover I may be able to help, feel free to PM me. 

No fix, no fee (10% of recovered funds standard charge) 

:jjyay: 

Edited by Angry Haggis

Rudolf's Mate
2 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

You dont necessarily need to go through the hassle of setting up a wallet. I use etoro for some trades and they have quite a few crypto on there that you can buy and sell into:

http://etoro.tw/2iHzlb5

I did wonder about them as they’re huge. What are their fees like?

Dean Winchester
5 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

I did wonder about them as they’re huge. What are their fees like?

Minimal in my experience for transactions.

Biggest hit is the $25 withdrawal charge.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Stuck £150 in an eToro accounts and stuck it on Bitcoin.

We'll see how it goes.

Rudolf's Mate
55 minutes ago, Dean Winchester said:

Minimal in my experience for transactions.

Biggest hit is the $25 withdrawal charge.

Ouch!

Ricardo Shillyshally

One of my relations became a teenage millionaire on bitcoin a few years ago.

Me? I struggle with chip and pin

William H. Bonney
18 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

One of my relations became a teenage millionaire on bitcoin a few years ago.

Me? I struggle with chip and pin

My friend has made close to £150,000 from investing in Bitcoin. He gave me  £6 to get started. 

I'm so lucky. 

Edited by Jefferson Davis Hogg

HeartOfWestLothian

If anyone is feeling like they missed out on the whole Bitcoin thing they should consider Litecoin. 

It is up around 2500% this year! 

Don't take my word for it have a look on reddit, youtube and podcasts on cryptocurrencies and see what you make of it. 

4 hours ago, HeartOfWestLothian said:

If anyone is feeling like they missed out on the whole Bitcoin thing they should consider Litecoin. 

It is up around 2500% this year! 

Don't take my word for it have a look on reddit, youtube and podcasts on cryptocurrencies and see what you make of it. 

Or Ethereum which is up 5200% in the last year.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
On 09/12/2017 at 12:18, Brian Whittaker Tache said:

Stuck £150 in an eToro accounts and stuck it on Bitcoin.

We'll see how it goes.

Lost $23 overnight!! Tesla Model X is cancelled!

19 minutes ago, Brian Whittaker Tache said:

Lost $23 overnight!! Tesla Model X is cancelled!

It's going to be a rough couple of weeks, very exciting. I kind of wish mine was on gdax or something so I could trade and stay ahead of the game but I keep reminding myself I want to let it ride and see what happens so I'm glad it's on a wallet on my phone. 

I have to admit to eyeing the whole crypto market with interest, with all the different currencies there's money to be made by being just slightly ahead of the game. If I was on gdax I'd probably have been tempted into trading 90% of my btc for litecoin on Wednesday and then buy back in after the expected price drop. 

Fascinating though

HeartOfWestLothian
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's going to be a rough couple of weeks, very exciting. I kind of wish mine was on gdax or something so I could trade and stay ahead of the game but I keep reminding myself I want to let it ride and see what happens so I'm glad it's on a wallet on my phone. 

I have to admit to eyeing the whole crypto market with interest, with all the different currencies there's money to be made by being just slightly ahead of the game. If I was on gdax I'd probably have been tempted into trading 90% of my btc for litecoin on Wednesday and then buy back in after the expected price drop. 

Fascinating though

When did you get into/start buying BTC out of interest?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Is there any online place where you can buy in smaller quantities? Minimum trade on eToro is £150 

I'd like to spend another couple of 100 but spread it between Ethereum and LiteCoin

HeartOfWestLothian
19 minutes ago, Brian Whittaker Tache said:

Is there any online place where you can buy in smaller quantities? Minimum trade on eToro is £150 

I'd like to spend another couple of 100 but spread it between Ethereum and LiteCoin

Coinbase, you can download the app onto your phone or use their website. 

There will be small fees but its probably the best way for people new to cryptocurrencies to buy. 

Edited by HeartOfWestLothian

magic roundabout

Although I've never used it (or seen anyone else use it) there is a bitcoin atm machine in Queensferry Street (in the currency shop)

John Gentleman
On 09/12/2017 at 17:52, Angry Haggis said:

Also I should note if anyone has lost coins they would like to attempt to recover I may be able to help, feel free to PM me. 

No fix, no fee (10% of recovered funds standard charge) 

:jjyay: 

You should get in touch with this bloke........

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/09/man-threw-away-laptop-with-bitcoin-that-is-now-worth-74-million-7145361/

.....and a more humorous view here (last paragraph):

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/12/man-who-threw-away-a-fortune-in-bitcoin-now-looking-to-dig-up-a-landfill/

But seriously (almost) I may not possess any bitcoin, but at least I can fall asleep at night.

Edited by John Gentleman

Rudolf's Mate
On 10/12/2017 at 12:47, Smithee said:

Fascinating though

I was tempted to stick £50 into an account for the sole purpose of trading it back and forth for a bit of fun. However I read a thread on reddit from a boy that has done this and between Coinbase and another exchange has somehow ended up losing $196 due to fees. He doesn’t know how this has happened especially seeing as it’s come off of around a total of $900. 

33 minutes ago, Rudolf's Mate said:

I was tempted to stick £50 into an account for the sole purpose of trading it back and forth for a bit of fun. However I read a thread on reddit from a boy that has done this and between Coinbase and another exchange has somehow ended up losing $196 due to fees. He doesn’t know how this has happened especially seeing as it’s come off of around a total of $900. 

Coinbase charge a set fee of 3.99% for each transaction, they also have exchange rate charges and conversion rate charges which vary based on your location, payment method, and other circumstances.

Whatever the hell that means  :unsure: 

They do give you a total figure before you complete the transaction though so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Rudolf's Mate
23 minutes ago, graygo said:

They do give you a total figure before you complete the transaction though so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Exactly. Still, if he’s right that’s a bit of a dull one.

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Okay. Im in. Bought $250 of Litecoin having done some research. Bought at $189. Expected to go past $300 by end of year.

Good call, that's where I'd be looking too I think

HeartOfWestLothian

Definitely holding my Litecoin for a year or two. 

When the supply halves in 2019 I am hoping the price rockets

jack D and coke

I’m no expert but some of things I read predict Ethereum and Litecoin to be the ones for the future. It’s something due to the way they’re set up, don’t ask me why I get more confused the more I read about them all :lol: 

That's me a week in and my 100 is now 145.72. I feel confident in saying it's up about 45%, no bad at all!

I'm determined to let that money sit there, and probably worth remembering the exchanges are overwhelmed with people buying in - that's what prevented the expected drop IMO. Anyway, they're still overwhelmed and that means demand is still high.

But I want to feel like I'm ducking and diving so I think I'll seperately put a few quid into coinbase now and again and either let it sit til something crashes and I can pounce, or buy in sooner if the market looks like sustaining growth.

HeartOfWestLothian
54 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Tempted to sell off some of my bitcoin and pump more into Litecoin. 

Both will go up in value over the next year but I would say Litecoin will rise at a higher % than Bitcoin due to all the new money coming into the crypto market and the cheapness of a Litecoin compared to a Bitcoin. 

Currently Litecoin is worth 0.014 of a Bitcoin which doesn't make sense to me. 

Dean Winchester
12 minutes ago, HeartOfWestLothian said:

Both will go up in value over the next year but I would say Litecoin will rise at a higher % than Bitcoin due to all the new money coming into the crypto market and the cheapness of a Litecoin compared to a Bitcoin. 

Currently Litecoin is worth 0.014 of a Bitcoin which doesn't make sense to me. 

There are limits for both. The max number of Litecoin is around 4x that of Bitcoin so it will likely be cheaper for a long time unless it proves to be more useful than Bitcoin for those using it.