Alistair Wilson Murder Case

Armageddon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42003066

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/crime/new-evidence-emerges-over-murder-11477806

Such a strange case this one.

Door bell goes.

Alistair Wilson's wife answers and a guy asks for her husband by name.

Alistair Wilson goes to the door and is heard having a muffled conversation with the guy and is handed a blue envelope with the name 'Paul' on it.

He leaves the front door, walks up the stairs and speaks to his wife with the envelope unopened (the Police are withholding what that conversation was about)

He returns to the front door and is shot twice in the head and once in the chest.

The blue envelope is never seen again.

A Professor in Criminology at Birmingham University has recently received an anonymous 8 page document naming another witness, the wife has always been thought of as the only witness.

The murder weapon is very scarce, and only 12 or so have been found in the UK, yet and second was discovered in Nairn last year during a house clearance.

Bizarre but fascinatingly deep and mysterious.

Always seemed to me that Wilson was involved in some criminal enterprise that caught up with him

Which means it was natural causes

These kind of deaths do not happen to regular Joes

I was working in Elgin the morning when it happened, I fitted description of the main suspect, I fecked off to Inverness. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I was working in Elgin the morning when it happened, I fitted description of the main suspect, I fecked off to Inverness. 

:laugh::laugh:

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Always seemed to me that Wilson was involved in some criminal enterprise that caught up with him

Which means it was natural causes

These kind of deaths do not happen to regular Joes

Any more on Criminal Enterprise

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

Seems strange to move closer to the scene of the crime.

Why don't they release the accent of the killer then since the wife must have heard it,  ok it could have been a disguise but worth putting it out there. Scottish, English etc.

Edited by davidkeye

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Sorry, Nairn.

Too many holes in your story, mate. 

You can make one phone call, I suggest you call a lawyer. 

:policeman:

Ricardo Shillyshally
41 minutes ago, davidkeye said:

Why don't they release the accent of the killer then since the wife must have heard it,  ok it could have been a disguise but worth putting it out there. Scottish, English etc.

Or what he discussed with his wife when going upstairs with the envelope before he went back down and was shot. 

1 minute ago, SUTOL said:

Too many holes in your story, mate. 

You can make one phone call, I suggest you call a lawyer. 

:policeman:

Lol!

I lived at Forres, well, Dunphail at the time and was doing some contract work for a pest control company, I had to go to a chippy on the high St, I parked up and got as far as onto the high St and saw the police all over and I then heard from the guy who owned the chip shop what had happened, he said the police were looking for a stocky man in his 30's about 6 ft tall and wearing dark blue/black clothing and a baseball cap, that was me to a tee, I phoned the Golf Hotel who was my next call that I'd be back next week, drove to Inverness and hid for the rest of the day.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Lol!

I lived at Forres, well, Dunphail at the time and was doing some contract work for a pest control company, I had to go to a chippy on the high St, I parked up and got as far as onto the high St and saw the police all over and I then heard from the guy who owned the chip shop what had happened, he said the police were looking for a stocky man in his 30's about 6 ft tall and wearing dark blue/black clothing and a baseball cap, that was me to a tee, I phoned the Golf Hotel who was my next call that I'd be back next week, drove to Inverness and hid for the rest of the day.

:biggrin:

One rumour is he was involved with a dodgy guy from Glasgow that involved over lending, the guy didn’t want him to leave his job as it would expose what was going on.  Problem is now the Police cannot trace anything.

Read about this this morning again. Fascinating and mysterious. Tragic for his wife and 2 young boys.

Must be related to his work or mistaken ID. Or maybe Police do know more than has been released to public 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Anyone think that the gunman shot the wrong bloke in a case of mistaken identity ? 

Or have I been watching too much Taggart? 

Forget the above as the gunman knew his name .....

:phface:

It could still be mistaken identity if the murderer was looking for a different Alistair Wilson.

I’ve always been intrigued by this. Some obvious conclusions for the amateur detective to jump to, but doesn’t seem like the police got anywhere with any leads.

Educated guess here

"Paul" is whoever was owed money, hence why the envelope was empty (presuming the wife is telling the truth)

The envelope is therefore provided to either be filled - hence why Wilson was allowed to re-enter the house ( if it was a simple hit then he would have been shot dead immediately on answering the door as time delays add to risk, and you would NEVER allow a target to re-enter a building out of your sight as they can (a) escape or (b) tool up themselves)

OR  the envelope is merely a demonstration that "Paul" has been ripped off.

Wilson would appear to have gone inside and chatted to his wife about something- otherwise why go back in?

So she must know what it was about- as he has talked to her about it.

Therefore the police must know too- right?

strangest bit is after he was handed the envelope shut the door, went back upstairs to show his wife then went back down to see if the guy was there.  Why would you do that and not ask the guy 'WTF is this all about' when he was first handed it.  The reports don't give a time frame for this, was it 30 secs, 5 mins....?

The fact that the guy was still there or someone else was waiting at the door could indicate they were expecting him to come back

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Educated guess here

"Paul" is whoever was owed money, hence why the envelope was empty (presuming the wife is telling the truth)

The envelope is therefore provided to either be filled - hence why Wilson was allowed to re-enter the house ( if it was a simple hit then he would have been shot dead immediately on answering the door as time delays add to risk, and you would NEVER allow a target to re-enter a building out of your sight as they can (a) escape or (b) tool up themselves)

OR  the envelope is merely a demonstration that "Paul" has been ripped off.

Wilson would appear to have gone inside and chatted to his wife about something- otherwise why go back in?

So she must know what it was about- as he has talked to her about it.

Therefore the police must know too- right?

2 hours ago, DarthVodka said:

strangest bit is after he was handed the envelope shut the door, went back upstairs to show his wife then went back down to see if the guy was there.  Why would you do that and not ask the guy 'WTF is this all about' when he was first handed it.  The reports don't give a time frame for this, was it 30 secs, 5 mins....?

The fact that the guy was still there or someone else was waiting at the door could indicate they were expecting him to come back

***Disclosure - this is a complete speculative guess***

When we were talking about it the other night, one idea was there was a baby scan in the photo in the envelope, he'd been told to tell his wife, he went to do that but returned saying "I can't do it" then BANG, guy lifts the envelope and walks away.

Any financial irregularities in either the bank or on his side would easily be detected.  It's difficult to hide money, he would have an income and forensic auditors would have gone through it, you can live off cash but when the Police realise that neither him or his wife have bought food, fuel or clothes for 2 years from any sort of card, then you know something isn't right.

He just looks like he would be squeaky clean, that could be the decoy in all this, moved up from down South 2 years ago, pretty senior job, was leaving to take up another job outside of the bank ... there's a plot twist coming in this one!

Edited by Armageddon

A few months back, I had business in Nairn which involved having to make a complaint in a local establishment. On entering said establishment all "fired-up" (pardon the pun) ready to complain I was taken aback to find Mrs Wilson on reception, in the end, I didn't complain.

I've since resolved to park that complaint until the killer is brought to justice.

Ricardo Shillyshally
34 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I think the wife is the key to it all.

Watch out Poirot, Findlay is after your job ?

29 minutes ago, pcw1874 said:

A few months back, I had business in Nairn which involved having to make a complaint in a local establishment. On entering said establishment all "fired-up" (pardon the pun) ready to complain I was taken aback to find Mrs Wilson on reception, in the end, I didn't complain.

I've since resolved to park that complaint until the killer is brought to justice.

You scared you’d be next??!! ??

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Talking about this with my wife and she said the same thing.

Quite a common name right enough.

I imagine the police made a list of all Alistair Wilsons in Nairn and environs with all variant spellings.

It’s a fascinating case. Like others, pulling the old Columbo raincoat on, looks to me he’s pissed about someone with some serious muscle - it’s definitely a professional hit. That rules out the missus IMO; no way she’s arranging that and keeping everything quiet. And I’m not having mistaken identity either - it’s Nairn, not Glasgow! You’ll be lucky if there’s more  than a handful of Alistair Wilson’s there. Owed, laundered or asked to launder money seems most likely, or some other business related issue. Although Armageddon’s theory is interesting!

Just on more thing...

It has been suggested that the specifics of this case are widely known about amongst the legal profession in the central belt and that everyone is rather reluctant to get involved.

If true then it doesn't require Columbo or John Findlay to come up with serious organised crime.

A related theory is that his impending departure from his bank position was likely to be somewhat problematic for some unpleasant people and that Mr Wilson was being urged to reconsider his career move.    

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

It has been suggested that the specifics of this case are widely known about amongst the legal profession in the central belt and that everyone is rather reluctant to get involved.

If true then it doesn't require Columbo or John Findlay to come up with serious organised crime.

A related theory is that his impending departure from his bank position was likely to be somewhat problematic for some unpleasant people and that Mr Wilson was being urged to reconsider his career move.    

His death did facilitate his departure from the bank, did it not?

55 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Hahaha ? Some departure “Hi, we’ve had a collection”

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I don't for a minute think the police/wife can  be as devoid of clues as they suggest. A bit like the Claudia Lawrence case down in York, there has to be plenty which they're not letting on about.

What he said to his wife after going inside has never come out, has it? Stranger comes to the door, hands over an envelope, Alistair Wilson goes inside to talk to his wife. What did he say the man at the door wanted? Apparently nothing very suspsicious or presumably he or she would have called the police and not opened the door again.

If there was a baby scan or something like that proving an affair, why would that be a motive to kill him?

52 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I don't for a minute think the police/wife can  be as devoid of clues as they suggest. A bit like the Claudia Lawrence case down in York, there has to be plenty which they're not letting on about.

I think that goes without saying, the Police only reveal to the public what they want known in the public domain, and quite right as well, you can't reveal all that you know.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think that goes without saying, the Police only reveal to the public what they want known in the public domain, and quite right as well, you can't reveal all that you know.

But given the timescale involved, the strategy is pretty weird. They’re giving no one anything to go on

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

Well yes of course.  But the inference being that a living and breathing Mr Wilson - ex bank employee would be rather problematic.   Ex Mr Wilson not so much.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

But given the timescale involved, the strategy is pretty weird. They’re giving no one anything to go on

Perhaps it's like the Dando murder and they just don't have anything to go on?

Which means the killer just got lucky or it's a professional hit.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Perhaps it's like the Dando murder and they just don't have anything to go on?

Which means the killer just got lucky or it's a professional hit.

The difference with Jill Dando was that she was a celebrity so it could have been random. There’s simply no way that this case would have had some sort of paper trail. The feds must have a fair hunch

And then there’s the murder weapon, only 13 found in the UK, yet 12 months ago a second was found in Nairn.  German made antique pistols used during the war, could it be the son or grandson or somebody local?

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Given it seems like a very professional hit there has to be an organised crime link, accidental or otherwise, somewhere imo. 

Professional to an extent, he survived long enough to be taken to hospital, maybe I've been watching too many films but I would expect a professional assassin to render a trip to hospital as moot.

7 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Professional to an extent, he survived long enough to be taken to hospital, maybe I've been watching too many films but I would expect a professional assassin to render a trip to hospital as moot.

Fair enough. ?

I do think it 's been just pure chance that it's such a clean 'hit'.  The weapon for a start, it's so specific that it narrows it down, I'd guess a proper hit man would also not drop the weapon down a drain so close to the house, if he had removed the gun then all they would have is the wife's descriptions of the guy and the envelope, but then, is leaving the weapon so close better as it stops the spread of evidence???!!!

47 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

I do think it 's been just pure chance that it's such a clean 'hit'.  The weapon for a start, it's so specific that it narrows it down, I'd guess a proper hit man would also not drop the weapon down a drain so close to the house, if he had removed the gun then all they would have is the wife's descriptions of the guy and the envelope, but then, is leaving the weapon so close better as it stops the spread of evidence???!!!

Disposing of the weapon at or close to the scene doesn't sound like a proper pro hit. Also the choice of weapon suggests it's not a proper pro. A rare historical gun...

I'd use something more modern and common, and take it with me to dispose of elsewhere or to use again or use to frame someone else in the future. 

IANAH-M

:ninja:

scott herbertson

One thing against the professional hitman theory is he just knocked on the door, with his face visible, the wife answered the door and he sent her to get the husband

cant believe a professsional would allow a full facial view to a potential witness. Why not just get Wilson when he is on his own?

55 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

One thing against the professional hitman theory is he just knocked on the door, with his face visible, the wife answered the door and he sent her to get the husband

cant believe a professsional would allow a full facial view to a potential witness. Why not just get Wilson when he is on his own?

Wearing a cap and only has a brief conversation with his wife who is soon to be in severe shock. Getting Wilson when he’s out and about risks more witnesses - doorstep shooting limits the witnesses. Gun is smuggled in from Eastern Europe; untraceable and no prints which is why it’s left nearby. 

One theory related to both of the above is that he had a driver. Gun was left in a drain on the passenger side. Someone in the car gets to see any other witnesses that may pass by (although there aren’t any).

The fact they’re no closer to finding the culprit 15 years later suggests it wasn’t an amateur. 

I think if Dawnrazor gets pulled in for questioning he will slip up.

His posturing on this thread, goading us.

villains always return to the scene of their crimes, gives them arousal.

we need to track his phone and its sure he will be right at the garden gate.

Spoiler

only kidding, mate :lol:

scott herbertson
7 hours ago, Zico said:

Wearing a cap and only has a brief conversation with his wife who is soon to be in severe shock. Getting Wilson when he’s out and about risks more witnesses - doorstep shooting limits the witnesses. Gun is smuggled in from Eastern Europe; untraceable and no prints which is why it’s left nearby. 

One theory related to both of the above is that he had a driver. Gun was left in a drain on the passenger side. Someone in the car gets to see any other witnesses that may pass by (although there aren’t any).

The fact they’re no closer to finding the culprit 15 years later suggests it wasn’t an amateur. 

Fair points but but I still think a good professional would have avoided face to face with the wife quite easily. The murder was committed at 7pm and although I don’t know the area that  seems unnecessarily risky. If that time why not keep the house under observation and do it when the wife and children are out, or later in the evening when many neighbours who could have seen the car or people involved would be in bed or at least less likely to come in or out and observe.