Berra ain't good enough

TheBigTeam

So another thing he does not do very well is score goals? The finest defender I saw in our jersey was Craig Levein, he scored every so often but goalscoring was not his forte, defending was.

Just out of interest, I was certain we got beat one nil, when did Motherwell score the second?

Maybe talking about 2-2 game?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So another thing he does not do very well is score goals? The finest defender I saw in our jersey was Craig Levein, he scored every so often but goalscoring was not his forte, defending was.

Just out of interest, I was certain we got beat one nil, when did Motherwell score the second?

What i said was Berra for the size of him should win more balls in the air and score more goals.He gets a lot of chances and 9 out of 10 times there over the bar.

I was certain the game at tynie was 2-2 unless i'm wrong!!!

Okay, we are going to recant old results eh? I remember many players making many mistakes for goals, shall we recant them all?

I find it weird that you like Rob Jones more than Berra but hey ho, more power to you brother, it is all about opinions.

bilston angel

I think this is a thread started by the pro-Vlad lobby to deflect the heat , I just can't believe what I'm reading, what player is next for character assassination? There can't be many left, and I was putting forward the suggestion that youth should be given a chance, god help them, who needs enemies when you have friends like this supporting you!

Okay, we are going to recant old results eh? I remember many players making many mistakes for goals, shall we recant them all?

I find it weird that you like Rob Jones more than Berra but hey ho, more power to you brother, it is all about opinions.

You show me where i said i prefer Jones.Grow up you know i didn't say that.

What i said was Berra for the size of him should win more balls in the air and score more goals.He gets a lot of chances and 9 out of 10 times there over the bar.

Actually, no, that is not what you said, you said....

Velicka,Karapidis even Ruben is more physical than Berra.He has scored what 2 goals.And before you say he set up Velicka on Sat the ball cam off the Hibs player.Also Motherwell's second goal watch it again Berra all over the shop lost the ball in the air

As originally quoted. That is a few things that you prefer about Rob Jones, he is tall, physical, scores goals and shouts in tunnels. Funny, not one Hibs fan I know has expressed disappointment at his impending move.

I prefer my defenders to defend.

I think this is a thread started by the pro-Vlad lobby to deflect the heat , I just can't believe what I'm reading, what player is next for character assassination? There can't be many left, and I was putting forward the suggestion that youth should be given a chance, god help them, who needs enemies when you have friends like this supporting you!

It's called an opinion.I don't rate the guy.Iv'e got a season ticket as i have for nearly 15 years.Nothing i want to see more than a good Hearts team on the park.But while Romanov is there we will never have 1 again.

Actually, no, that is not what you said, you said....

As originally quoted. That is a few things that you prefer about Rob Jones, he is tall, physical, scores goals and shouts in tunnels. Funny, not one Hibs fan I know has expressed disappointment at his impending move.

I prefer my defenders to defend.

Answer my question.Where did i say i like or even rate Jones?

Definatley a big occasion player. Always has a decent game against the Huns, Tims and Hobos. Lets himself down badly against the diddy teams. I think he'll come good, but needs to concentrate EVERY week.

You show me where i said i prefer Jones.Grow up you know i didn't say that.

*sigh*

i recorded the derby from Saturday and if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing.

From this thread you have commented on something that Jones does that is better than Berra directly. You have also downcried his lack of goals, Jones has scored a number of goals, you talk about physical defenders, Jones is as physical as they are in the SPL.

You have accurately described Jones and referred to him in your own post, to reiterate, I personally feel a defenders first job is to defend.

That will be the the equaliser in the first game.

What no-one seems to have picked up on is that Porter is marginally taller than Berra and the ball was played in at head height - with Porter not having to jump. Berra had 2 choices - keep tight and hope to put Porter off, or give away a foul at the edge of the box. You could have blamed him for being too close that Porter could turn him and get away to eventually score when the cross came in. The goal was more lost because once again one of our midfielders (sorry but it was Palazuelos, again) didn't track his runner.

There are faults throughout the whole of this team. Too many to pick out individuals (which admittedley I have done about Palazuelos on several occassions now). But especially one of the few players that better teams than Hearts would look at.

bilston angel
It's called an opinion.I don't rate the guy.Iv'e got a season ticket as i have for nearly 15 years.Nothing i want to see more than a good Hearts team on the park.But while Romanov is there we will never have 1 again.

And don't we all!

rudi must stay
Watched Berra for a few years now and i just can't see any quality there.Never rated him when he was just breaking through and he has done nothing to change my mind.He can't run for a start he is so slow and last night he had a great chance late on to score with a header and he almost put it out for a throwing.He get's pushed off the ball far too easily and if a decision dosen't go his way he dosen't argue he walk's away.He is never a captain either i recorded the derby from Saturday and if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing.Banks would be a better bet as captain.If any team's are interested i would snap there hand off for whatever we get for him.I think Tall and Karapidis would be more solid there but as Tall is prob leaving we would need another centre half.I know this may sound a bit harsh and the guy clearly does try but he just aint good enough.

i agree he shouldn't be captain at his age. To say he's not a good enough player is ridiculous he was brilliant last year next to Zaliukas and the last few games seems to have a decent partnership with Karipidis.

*sigh*

From this thread you have commented on something that Jones does that is better than Berra directly. You have also downcried his lack of goals, Jones has scored a number of goals, you talk about physical defenders, Jones is as physical as they are in the SPL.

You have accurately described Jones and referred to him in your own post, to reiterate, I personally feel a defenders first job is to defend.

Your trying to tell me you wouldn't prefer to see a captain (like Pressley) trying to get his team up for it.When things aren't going well for us kicking a few arses instead of someone who stands with his hands on his hips and says nothing thats not a captain.For the record i don't rate Jones.

See my post.

Stop side stepping the question ill try and make it easy for a half wit like you to get it.

WHERE DID I SAY I LIKE JONES I RATE JONES.I JUST MENTIONED THAT HE WAS TRYING TO GET HIS TEAM UP FOR IT WHILE BERRA STOOD THERE SAYING NOTHING.THAT CLEAR ENOUGH.NOW ANSWER THE QUESTION OR SHUT YOUR HOLE

...There are faults throughout the whole of this team. Too many to pick out individuals...

This the problem.

I'd say we need to address the problems running through the club first and then get the team sorted.

Having witchhunts against individual players solves nothing.

I cannie believe the amount of stick Berra is getting on this thread, whereas players like Stewart waste every ball they get!

In fact, someone at Hearts should read this forum and pap all the players we rubbish regularly. Get them replaced.

Mind you, there is only a week to go!

Your trying to tell me you wouldn't prefer to see a captain (like Pressley) trying to get his team up for it.When things aren't going well for us kicking a few arses instead of someone who stands with his hands on his hips and says nothing thats not a captain.For the record i don't rate Jones.

Funny, you seem to like the "qualities" that Jones has then eh. As for a captaincy, I don't think that being a captain is all about shouting, I think that (like already stated on this thread) being a captain is much more than just shouting. I believe that a captain should lead by example, he should take control and he should also command the respect from his players. I do not think it is fair to burden Berra with the captaincy at this stage of his development.

Stop side stepping the question ill try and make it easy for a half wit like you to get it.

WHERE DID I SAY I LIKE JONES I RATE JONES.I JUST MENTIONED THAT HE WAS TRYING TO GET HIS TEAM UP FOR IT WHILE BERRA STOOD THERE SAYING NOTHING.THAT CLEAR ENOUGH.NOW ANSWER THE QUESTION OR SHUT YOUR HOLE

Jeezo, to think you told another member to chill out. YOU drew the comparison, comparing Jones favourably to Berra. Unfortunately you seem to be unsure as to what you want.

Funny, you seem to like the "qualities" that Jones has then eh. As for a captaincy, I don't think that being a captain is all about shouting, I think that (like already stated on this thread) being a captain is much more than just shouting. I believe that a captain should lead by example, he should take control and he should also command the respect from his players. I do not think it is fair to burden Berra with the captaincy at this stage of his development.

Jeezo, to think you told another member to chill out. YOU drew the comparison, comparing Jones favourably to Berra. Unfortunately you seem to be unsure as to what you want.

That's what your boyfriend said eh;)

..Jeezo, to think you told another member to chill out. YOU drew the comparison, comparing Jones favourably to Berra. Unfortunately you seem to be unsure as to what you want.

He wants someone who shouts in the tunnel and someone who argues back at the ref.

That's what your boyfriend said eh;)

He he he! Stop teasing me, as I told you in reply to the pm asking me out, my boyfriend treats me well. You will find somebody sooner or later, especially if you keep your charm offensive up. ;-X

He wants someone who shouts in the tunnel and someone who argues back at the ref.

Nah just someone who will drive the team on give them a lift when it isn't going our way.Berra dosen't do that.Iv'e already said Banks would be a better bet and who knows might improve Berra as a player can't see it though

Exactly. He nailed his colours to the mast at the start of the thread as regards exactly what kind of player he wants. Suggest one (that he compared favourably to the player he does not want) and he starts off talking about holes and boyfriends. :confused:

He he he! Stop teasing me, as I told you in reply to the pm asking me out, my boyfriend treats me well. You will find somebody sooner or later, especially if you keep your charm offensive up. ;-X

Thanks for the tip!

Nah just someone who will drive the team on give them a lift when it isn't going our way.Berra dosen't do that.Iv'e already said Banks would be a better bet and who knows might improve Berra as a player can't see it though

Banks would be a better bet for what? As a central defender?

Ah, are you turning this into a captaincy debate now.

I thought you just didn't like CB full stop.

...i just can't see any quality there...

...he just aint good enough...

Shoosh, he will ask you out next.;)

Shoosh, he will ask you out next.;)

I hope it's not Wednesday.

I've got something on in Glasgow.

See if that Berra laddie disnae start shouting, i'll be pure raging man.

I don't he is p ish and banks for captain.

Libertonian_II

Berra is one of the few players I would retain if were up to me. There are far worse on the pitch these days

Why didn't we have this debate after the game against the hobos:confused:

Sure fans are raging at recent form, but to bring out the pitchforks for individual players is beginning to get a bit wearing.

what a load of pish, had a great game against hibs, maybe not great last night but who was, we need to build this season and give him the experience he needs, we may get top 6 but no more than that, we should build this team up for next season.

Marooned In Oz
Like you

You're a clown mate.

Berra has been playing well and is a decent centre half so why the need for these negative posts?

brellierlegend
Watched Berra for a few years now and i just can't see any quality there.Never rated him when he was just breaking through and he has done nothing to change my mind.He can't run for a start he is so slow and last night he had a great chance late on to score with a header and he almost put it out for a throwing.He get's pushed off the ball far too easily and if a decision dosen't go his way he dosen't argue he walk's away.He is never a captain either i recorded the derby from Saturday and if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing.Banks would be a better bet as captain.If any team's are interested i would snap there hand off for whatever we get for him.I think Tall and Karapidis would be more solid there but as Tall is prob leaving we would need another centre half.I know this may sound a bit harsh and the guy clearly does try but he just aint good enough.

This sums up how much some fans actually know about football. Nothing! Berra has the potential to be a great player but is a very young lad and has nobody to guide him. Webster had Pressley and that helped him greatly. Berra has pace and strength and is a total athlete.

Scouts from Spurs have been watching him aswell as scouts from other clubs. He should not have been given the captaincy so young and that has affected his game.

However, this season having the likes of Neilson, Zaliuakas, Goncalves and Wallace has hindered him greatly!

Poor comment from you.

This sums up how much some fans actually know about football. Nothing! Berra has the potential to be a great player but is a very young lad and has nobody to guide him. Webster had Pressley and that helped him greatly. Berra has pace and strength and is a total athlete.

Scouts from Spurs have been watching him aswell as scouts from other clubs. He should not have been given the captaincy so young and that has affected his game.

However, this season having the likes of Neilson, Zaliuakas, Goncalves and Wallace has hindered him greatly!

Poor comment from you.

There is no hope in hell Spurs would want him!!!.Just because a scout is at a game dosen't mean a lot.Why no bids?I really don't get this Berra has pace nonsense.He is so slow.Somebody touched on it earlier he is like Wilkie and will no doubt end making a living out the game.I always thought if you were a good player you would shine even if your playing with mince.Berra dosen't.Kingston and Velicka for example do.

You're a clown mate.

Berra has been playing well and is a decent centre half so why the need for these negative posts?

I keep saying this it's called an opinion.If your in Oz how the hell would you know he is playing well???

Blinkered vision in my opinion. But let's be negative :( it's far easier than looking for the positive.

Berra is young. Berra will make a very good defender with correct coaching, which I doubt he is getting at the moment. And it would also help if he played with a consistant partner at CB.

It would also help if Hearts' tactics were not just to hoof the ball straight back to the opposition putting the defence under continued pressure. Berra can be faulted for this as he is the one hoofing the ball on many ocassions.

Should Berra be captain? I can see the reasons why he was appointed at the beginning of the season, but I am not sure he has the leadership qualities on the field.

One of our best 5 or so players so far this year.

Suffering due to the lightweight midfields and rotation of goalkeeper/defenders.

I'd like to see him play beside a big strong dominating centre half and with a player of the quality of Brellier sweeping up everything in front of him.

Drylaw Hearts

Without having read past the OP :-

I think Berra is as good as we've got at CH.

He's not the greatest but he will improve just as Webster did.

Webster was helped by having Elvis beside him.

Berra is being hindered by having numerous defensive partners - none of whom are as good or as influential as Pressley was.

He dosen't ever question a decision.He dosen't lead from the front like a captain is meant to.I watched Karapidis,Stewart and Banks all trying to get the team up for it while Berra stood with his hand's on his hips

Not comparing ability but Steven Gerrard does the same thing in the tunel I think.

gorgie rd eh11

What a load of tom kite.

Ally Alexander
if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing.Banks would be a better bet as captain.

Not true - Berra did have a wee clap and shout. He well have done his bit in the dressing room.

When fans of other teams are asked who they rate at Hearts the 3 names that come up all the time are Berra, Velicka and Kingson. These are unbiased opinions, I reckon you get a more realistic assessment of players from people who are not emotionally involved as supporters.

chester copperpot

I have been one of Christophe's biggest critics on here for a while now. I saw improvement in his play under Frail, however still think he's way off what we need.

He is never a captain either i recorded the derby from Saturday and if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing.Banks would be a better bet as captain.QUOTE]

Jones shouted and tried to get them up for it, Berra was quiet. Big deal, when it came to the game, Berra was superb and Jones was consistently out of position and hoofed the ball away. Shouting at players is easy, and not that effective if Hibs performance on the day was anything to go by.

In 5 years time, Berra will be a Scotland regular.

He is a great prospect who is still learning his trade and we should be proud to have him in our team.

As an aside, can the OP think about what it would be like to be the captain of Hearts with the owner picking the team. Imagine trying to motivate players and foster a team spirit when there are guys in the team who shouldn't be near a football park, when the 'manager' has no control on discipline, when set plays are prepared not knowing who is going to be playing, players are picked who are clearly not fit and at the end of the game you are being asked by the press to explain why you keep getting beat.

Berra has showed maturity beyond his years and is a credit to our club.

Why don't you start a thread about No 24, Nade, Pinella, Kurskis, Basso, or Benny? or better still keep yer gub shut.

What a load of *****e.

Spot on.

Can't believe the tosh written on here sometimes about players.

Can't anyone see? It not about the players at the moment. Its about the fact we have NO manager. Its about the fact we have NO CEO. Its about the fact we have NO Chairperson.

We've got a decent squad but with no direction.

Archived