Berra ain't good enough

TheBigTeam

Watched Berra for a few years now and i just can't see any quality there.Never rated him when he was just breaking through and he has done nothing to change my mind.He can't run for a start he is so slow and last night he had a great chance late on to score with a header and he almost put it out for a throwing.He get's pushed off the ball far too easily and if a decision dosen't go his way he dosen't argue he walk's away.He is never a captain either i recorded the derby from Saturday and if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing.Banks would be a better bet as captain.If any team's are interested i would snap there hand off for whatever we get for him.I think Tall and Karapidis would be more solid there but as Tall is prob leaving we would need another centre half.I know this may sound a bit harsh and the guy clearly does try but he just aint good enough.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hagar the Horrible

He is good enough just not experienced enough, he needs a more solid man beside him? also he is by no means a captain, to much for one so young?

Watched Berra for a few years now and i just can't see any quality there.Never rated him when he was just breaking through and he has done nothing to change my mind.He can't run for a start he is so slow and last night he had a great chance late on to score with a header and he almost put it out for a throwing.He get's pushed off the ball far too easily and if a decision dosen't go his way he dosen't argue he walk's away.He is never a captain either i recorded the derby from Saturday and if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing.Banks would be a better bet as captain.If any team's are interested i would snap there hand off for whatever we get for him.I think Tall and Karapidis would be more solid there but as Tall is prob leaving we would need another centre half.I know this may sound a bit harsh and the guy clearly does try but he just aint good enough.

What a load of *****e.

Now that Banksie is our number 1, I reckon he'd be a far better shout than Berra. Let the guy concentrate on his playing for a while.

He is good enough just not experienced enough, he needs a more solid man beside him? also he is by no means a captain, to much for one so young?

Webster was roughly the same age when he came into the first team and it's like night and day

I disagree I'm afraid. I think he can have a very bright future......however I do think he needs a rest and I'm reasonably sure he be better off and the team would be better off with a different captain. So, I suppose that's not total disagreement:)

michaeloldham

Surely one of our better players this season though? Not saying much I know, but still. And he doesn't exactly have an experienced defender alongside him to learn from. If he did, I think he would become a quality defender

Say What Again

I wouldn't write Berra off just now but he'd wouldn't get in my first XI just now either. I'd play Karapidis and Tall and the back.

A wee spell out the team would maybe help Berra but with it looking very doubtful Ibby will return to the side the only other option is Zal - so Berra and Karapidis it is!

:wacko:

Webster was roughly the same age when he came into the first team and it's like night and day

Webster looked tom kite when he didn't have Pressley at his side. Berra gets an unbelievable amount of stick on here.

Two things that jumped out at me...

... ...if you watch in the tunnel you see Jones shouting trying to get the hobo's up for it Berra is just standing there saying nothing....

I'm missing your point here. Remind me which captain was a loser last week.

... if a decision dosen't go his way he dosen't argue he walk's away....

Yup, that's what our team needs just now, someone to argue with the ref.

Don't you like it when we finish with 11 men.

Webster looked tom kite when he didn't have Pressley at his side. Berra gets an unbelievable amount of stick on here.

But Berra was p ish with Elvis beside him too

He is young and still learning but has been thrown in at the deep end and his form has dipped imo over the last year.

If we can get a right back in, i would like to see a pairing of Tall and Karipidis given a chance.

Berra IMO is untouchable in some fans eyes (and in VR's eyes when he had a say in selection), anyone and everyone else to blame except Berra.

For Berras own sake and development, time for a rest i think when Tall gets fit.

Not half as much as Neilson.

As a unit our defence is poor. 40 goals against in the league is a damning statistic.

Two things that jumped out at me...

I'm missing your point here. Remind me which captain was a loser last week.

Yup, that's what our team needs just now, someone to argue with the ref.

Don't you like it when we finish with 11 men.

He dosen't ever question a decision.He dosen't lead from the front like a captain is meant to.I watched Karapidis,Stewart and Banks all trying to get the team up for it while Berra stood with his hand's on his hips

seriously its getting old now. There are a lot of players who are performing terrbly and players who are hiding. Berra is not one of them. Even the glasgow media rate him ffs.

Some captains shout and scream others lead by example eg Beckham, owen and many others

He is young and still learning but has been thrown in at the deep end and his form has dipped imo over the last year.

If we can get a right back in, i would like to see a pairing of Tall and Karipidis given a chance.

Berra IMO is untouchable in some fans eyes (and in VR's eyes when he had a say in selection), anyone and everyone else to blame except Berra.

For Berras own sake and development, time for a rest i think when Tall gets fit.

To be fair you gave Berra a 5 last week when what was widely acknowledged he played out his skin. So i think its fair to say your views on Berra are a touch blinkered.

I agree with you, i have stated on this board before that Berra is the new Lee Wilkie/ Darren Dodds and will be a journeyman football player who makes agood living from football without being very good.

Thats not to say that he hasn't had a few good games for us but i think that the people that think he is going to be a top notch player are going to be disappointed. He should not be captain either but was probable the best of a bad bunch at the time to pick from.

To be fair you gave Berra a 5 last week when what was widely acknowledged he played out his skin. So i think its fair to say your views on Berra are a touch blinkered.

And that may be his problem, believing he played out of his skin when he made plenty of mistakes* (along with the rest of the defence) in the Hibs game. We were lucky they were that pash that they could not take advantage of it.

ps. He loses 1 point in most games from me for not doing the captains job he has been appointed to do. (You may also notice i gave him a decent mark for last nights game;))

*Was caught out with long ball, failed to dominate our box at their set-pieces, failed to head an unchallenged ball out the box to a Hearts player and instead knocked it 10yrds straight to a Hobo, failed to organise defence at set-pieces, continually pulled Jose inside to mark Kerr whilst he picked up no-one (we were not playing a sweeper system) leaving the winger free...........

Yes he also did some good things in the game(hence why i gave him an 'average' rating -1point for lack of captaincy), but if that is him playing 'out of his skin' i dread the day you have to rate him as 'average'.

He gets a very easy time of it from Hearts fans on here, he is never to blame or partly to blame for any goal it seems

i cant believe you think he's slow, he might not be a good captain and his defending might be a bit erratic sometimes but he is anything but slow, are you tallking about the young lad that plays for hearts? i think you should get to more games mate, your a wee bit inexperianced at this watching lark

And that may be his problem, believing he played out of his skin when he made plenty of mistakes* (along with the rest of the defence) in the Hibs game. We were lucky they were that pash that they could not take advantage of it.

ps. He loses 1 point in most games from me for not doing the captains job he has been appointed to do. (You may also notice i gave him a decent mark for last nights game;))

*Was caught out with long ball, failed to dominate our box at their set-pieces, failed to head an unchallenged ball out the box to a Hearts player and instead knocked it 10yrds straight to a Hobo, failed to organise defence at set-pieces, continually pulled Jose inside to mark Kerr whilst he picked up no-one (we were not playing a sweeper system) leaving the winger free...........

Yes he also did some good things in the game(hence why i gave him an 'average' rating -1point for lack of captaincy), but if that is him playing 'out of his skin' i dread the day you have to rate him as 'average'.

He gets a very easy time of it from Hearts fans on here, he is never to blame or partly to blame for any goal it seems

Good post mate

Some of you Hearts fans need to get a grip. How about support the players for a change. Its constant moaning with the lot of you. Most of it totally undeserved and most of your comments backed up with utter nonsense. Do you actually watch the games? You must live depressing lives if all you do is come on here and slate the players everyweek.

Is it Berra's turn to take the stick for a couple of days now. Who else have we had this season. Driver, Robbie, Pinilla, Nade, Velicka, Stewart. The list goes on and on.

Bloody disgrace.

Some of you Hearts fans need to get a grip. How about support the players for a change. Its constant moaning with the lot of you. Most of it totally undeserved and most of your comments backed up with utter nonsense. Do you actually watch the games? You must live depressing lives if all you do is come on here and slate the players everyweek.

Is it Berra's turn to take the stick for a couple of days now. Who else have we had this season. Driver, Robbie, Pinilla, Nade, Velicka, Stewart. The list goes on and on.

Bloody disgrace.

Not allowed an opinion now? Bottom line is were not good enough.You need to take a chill pill

As i said your views on Berra is blinkered. Failed to do this, Failed to do that and yet Banks was sitting puffing a cigar for most of the game. Suppose that was nothing to do with Berra ? I also see its his fault that Jose had a nightmare :wacko:

At least your consistent. :)

Not allowed an opinion now? Bottom line is were not good enough.You need to take a chill pill

If "were" not good enough why start a thread to single out Berra ? There are a lot of things wrong at the club and we have a lot of poor players however Berra is no where near the top of that list.

As i said your views on Berra is blinkered. Failed to do this, Failed to do that and yet Banks was sitting puffing a cigar for most of the game. Suppose that was nothing to do with Berra ? I also see its his fault that Jose had a nightmare :wacko:

At least your consistent. :)

Did you read my post? I acknowledged that Berra done some good things in the game. You though have failed to acknowledge that he was not perfect in the game by saying 'he played out of his skin'.

Did you read my post? I acknowledged that Berra done some good things in the game. You though have failed to acknowledge that he was not perfect in the game by saying 'he played out of his skin'.

I did read your post thats how i knew all about the things you said Berra done wrong. Safe to assume we are going round in circles so better to leave it there. :)

If "were" not good enough why start a thread to single out Berra ? There are a lot of things wrong at the club and we have a lot of poor players however Berra is no where near the top of that list.

Because he brought up other players.I started the thread about Berra because i think he is very over rated and it seem's to be a crime to have a go at him.

I cannot disagree more. Webster was an excellent player when he left, when he was the same age as Berra less was expected of him and he played at a lesser standard than Berra.

Some forget that when Vogts suggested that Webster was Scotland class, few Hearts fans agreed.

Play Berra with an experienced head and he will blossom, if we don't, he will go and blossom elsewhere. Then we will have threads about why we shouldn't have let him go a la Bednar.

Closest to perhaps the biggest ever amount of tripe ever written on this board.

He doesn't shout in the tunnel before the games. Have you noticed recently who's aggression in the box is our most likely way of scoring a goal. Or did your recorder miss that.

Also forget the Tall/Karapidis love in. Berra was better than Karapidis last night. And Tall has no positional sense. Which ain't a good trait in a central defender

Because he brought up other players.I started the thread about Berra because i think he is very over rated and it seem's to be a crime to have a go at him.

Who has over rated him ? and over rated compared to who ?

Not a crime to have a go at him but at least do it when he deserves it. IMO he has been playing well recently so does not deserve the treatment.

Bloody disgrace.

Well said my man. What a load of tosh this is. Berra is one of (if not the) best young centre half in Scotland. He is fast, left footed (always a bonus for a centre half partnership) and has been one of our better players this season. Granted he could do without being captain but only when a suitable replacement candidate (who will play every week) is identified.

Not half as much as Neilson.

As a unit our defence is poor. 40 goals against in the league is a damning statistic.

To draw comparisons between Neilson and Berra is embarrassing IMO. Berra (left footed) would be a far better option at right back than the completely useless Neilson. Watch how they get on post Hearts and we will see who progresses further.

Closest to perhaps the biggest ever amount of tripe ever written on this board.

He doesn't shout in the tunnel before the games. Have you noticed recently who's aggression in the box is our most likely way of scoring a goal. Or did your recorder miss that.

Also forget the Tall/Karapidis love in. Berra was better than Karapidis last night. And Tall has no positional sense. Which ain't a good trait in a central defender

Berra was better than Karapidis last night??? What game were you watching?

Have you noticed recently who's aggression in the box is our most likely way of scoring a goal??? Not Berra that's for sure.Christ he is like a big fairy.The size he is he should be winning a hell of a lot more header's and scoring a lot more goals than he does.

I cannot disagree more. Webster was an excellent player when he left, when he was the same age as Berra less was expected of him and he played at a lesser standard than Berra.

Some forget that when Vogts suggested that Webster was Scotland class, few Hearts fans agreed.

Play Berra with an experienced head and he will blossom, if we don't, he will go and blossom elsewhere. Then we will have threads about why we shouldn't have let him go a la Bednar.

We will also have the threads about how he was a lazy money grabbing waster who didn't try a leg. :rolleyes:

Well said my man. What a load of tosh this is. Berra is one of (if not the) best young centre half in Scotland. He is fast, left footed (always a bonus for a centre half partnership) and has been one of our better players this season. Granted he could do without being captain but only when a suitable replacement candidate (who will play every week) is identified.

Fast??? my Granny is quicker come on he can't run

No, you can have a opinion. But try to back it up with something. Im not just having a go at you. There are plenty of others on here who also post total rubbish.

Berra was better than Karapidis last night??? What game were you watching?

Have you noticed recently who's aggression in the box is our most likely way of scoring a goal??? Not Berra that's for sure.Christ he is like a big fairy.The size he is he should be winning a hell of a lot more header's and scoring a lot more goals than he does.

Ok then.

Who is our most aggressive attacker of the ball in the opposition box (both ends if you want) of late.

I'll give you some clues in who has either scored or won the header at the back post to get it back. His initials are CB, his first name is Christophe, surname Berra.

No, you can have a opinion. But try to back it up with something. Im not just having a go at you. There are plenty of others on here who also post total rubbish.

Like you

A disgrace as our club captain. Zero leadership skills. A bit like Shag gy. Pair of useless f cuks. :mad:

Inexperienced, perhaps. But never a disgrace.

Unless you know something the rest of us don't?

Fast??? my Granny is quicker come on he can't run

I find it astonishing you question his pace, I shouldn't really as you seem to have decided you simply do not like him. Linford Christie he is not but he is far from as slow as you make out.

To draw comparisons between Neilson and Berra is embarrassing IMO. Berra (left footed) would be a far better option at right back than the completely useless Neilson. Watch how they get on post Hearts and we will see who progresses further.

I was comparing the amount of abuse they receive on here, not their (lack of) abilities.

Ok then.

Who is our most aggressive attacker of the ball in the opposition box (both ends if you want) of late.

I'll give you some clues in who has either scored or won the header at the back post to get it back. His initials are CB, his first name is Christophe, surname Berra.

Velicka,Karapidis even Ruben is more physical than Berra.He has scored what 2 goals.And before you say he set up Velicka on Sat the ball cam off the Hibs player.Also Motherwell's second goal watch it again Berra all over the shop lost the ball in the air

We will also have the threads about how he was a lazy money grabbing waster who didn't try a leg. :rolleyes:

....whilst he does the business under a decent manager, with decent training and decent team mates.;)

The main problem is that hardly any of our players are good enough!!

Berra has too many lapses and is too lightweight to be a Centre Half. He may yet develop into a player, but should be allowed time - not thrown into the deep end and to try to captain a bunch of journeymen (very few of which would get a game for motherwell!)

It is endemic of our team that we have no skillful or creative players, and the Heart of our team ripped out by someone who knows less than us about football matters!!

See that schoolkid under your name. It fits you perfectly. Im guessing about 14?

Aye ok.You just summed what you are up by that post.What's with the Liverpool badge get a Hearts badge on there.Bit weird isn't it?

Velicka,Karapidis even Ruben is more physical than Berra.He has scored what 2 goals.And before you say he set up Velicka on Sat the ball cam off the Hibs player.Also Motherwell's second goal watch it again Berra all over the shop lost the ball in the air

So another thing he does not do very well is score goals? The finest defender I saw in our jersey was Craig Levein, he scored every so often but goalscoring was not his forte, defending was.

Just out of interest, I was certain we got beat one nil, when did Motherwell score the second?

So another thing he does not do very well is score goals? The finest defender I saw in our jersey was Craig Levein, he scored every so often but goalscoring was not his forte, defending was.

Just out of interest, I was certain we got beat one nil, when did Motherwell score the second?

I was certain the game at tynie was 2-2 unless i'm wrong!!!

Archived