Jambobelieve28 on Hearts

Statto

I'd like to discuss a few things that are on my mind concerning Hearts from last nights game to the manager situation. I hope you will respect my opinions and I hope you will give your own.

As it is probably still on everybody's mind, I'll start with the Motherwell game last night. I attended Fir Park and I was disappointed to get knocked out of the Scottish Cup. I felt the game was very poor with only flashes of both teams' ability. The referee was shocking, all the small decisions he ignored or simply got wrong. I thought the Neilson booking was a bad one (fair enough he was climbing on a Motherwell player to get a header but one of their players went right through Jose, I can't remember if it was before or after this incident but he only got a ticking off, no booking!) I have to admit he got the penalty decision spot on, I look at it as if it didn't hit his hand, what would have happened, the ball was heading into a dangerous area in the box, so it had to be given, rightly no yellow card as it wasn't deliberate.

They players didn't have the best of games, Banksie's distribution was terrible at times, Neilson and Jonsson lost the ball a few times in the second have when the latter was moved to the right, Jose's positioning is a topic raised frequently, I am very confident in Jose's ability, he has enough pace to get to the attacker before he can cross the ball or start a run, he is a good defender, he doesn't commit himself too much, he judges tackles well, I would be surprised if he had received more than 1 or 2 bookings this season. That is why he is worth ?2M to other clubs. Back to the Motherwell match, Miko sort of turns his desire on and off, there was a few times during the game he stood off the Well players and then suddenly jumped at the ball and in one moment during the game he won a throw in from nothing and put Motherwell under pressure, a few of his flicks never came off, that is the sort of fine tuning he needs to work on. Ruben was alright, he never shone but he played the ball well and opened things up a bit. Velicka worked the Motherwell defence all night, he was desperately close to an equaliser but just couldn?t turn it enough.

The substitutions that were made last night were acceptable. Cesnauskis is just back from injury and his fitness must be an issue, he was subbed off and Nade came on. In my opinion Nade changed the game, he got into the sort of areas that you want your strikers to get into, he made the space for Velicka at times and even created one or two opportunities. After watching that game, I realise that Nade's game isn't the long ball one, he is better at getting the ball down, controlling it and beating defenders with his trickery rather than having a ball punted up to him and him to run onto it. As many of us have realised, he isn't the fastest player we have but he makes up for that in strength.

Many of you claim that Frail isn't good enough to become the next Hearts manager, I feel he done all he could last night especially, we were creating the chances against a solid Motherwell back line and to be honest I couldn't really see a change he could have made, I mean we had Bjornsson (we can't put him up front) Ivaskevicius (he doesn't offer any more than Stewart and Ruben were) Beniusis (who are you going to bring off? (Velicka our top scorer and possibly the only way we were getting a goal or Nade who had, as I said earlier, changed the game)) or Wallace (possibly could have come on for Stewart, he done it last week but would a left back in midfield have really changed the game for us?). I feel Frail would be a good appointment, not because I think so but the players are coming out and saying they support him and hope he becomes the new boss, the players finally have someone they look up to and respect, if they believe in Frail, so do I.

On the subject of the manager, I have to say I do not think we will appoint a permanent manager before the last game of this season, I think Frail will get the rest of this season to show the board what he can do, I will have a ?10 charity bet with someone that says we will still have Frail in as Caretaker manager or still no permanent manger in place before the last game of the season.

My next point will be about Vladimir Romanov. He has been adored by many and despised by most, I think that he must appoint a permanent manager as soon as possible, whether that is Frail or someone else, I know Hearts have said they will take their time to find the ?right man?, but if nobody is appointed within the next couple of months, I?ll warn him that Heart fans will get highly sceptical of his announced plans and will get really unsettled with you being here (again). Your statement on January 1st 2008 has given you a bit of breathing space but if no action is taking shortly, all will go back to how it was just 2 months ago, speak of protest, boycott and disharmony within the support will instigate again. I?m sure you will not want this, as I.

Finally, I would like to give a message to all Hearts fans, we as one are much stronger when looking from the same stage, possibilities can be endless, our eternal future can be made, it starts on Saturday.

Not quite understanding about the manger point - are you saying that if we get a permanent manager in before the last game of the season you'll pay ?10 to charity? If so, I'll take you up on that as I'm sure we'll have someone in long before then.

good post, and nothing there i can disagree with.

the sad fact is that we all want the same thing, but the situation is leading us to bicker and bite with each other.

Not quite understanding about the manger point - are you saying that if we get a permanent manager in before the last game of the season you'll pay ?10 to charity? If so, I'll take you up on that as I'm sure we'll have someone in long before then.

I'll pay ?10 to charity if we get a manger appointed this season.

If you want to take me up on this, you pay ?10 to charity if we go the rest of this season managerless.

Until we get a proper manager in place - nothing of any real substance is actually going to happen. If Steven Frail is kept on as a stop-gap until the summer we might as well write off the rest of this season. Quite frankly he has not got the experiance nor the tactical abilty to change things for us. If nothing changes then the bickering and in-fighting will continue - and only get worse.

I'll pay ?10 to charity if we get a manger appointed this season.

If you want to take me up on this, you pay ?10 to charity if we go the rest of this season managerless.

Done. Shall we choose the charity now?

Now that Campbell Ogilvie has helped the SFA appoint a manager I'm sure the next item on his to do list is to appoint a Hearts manager.

You never know, his SFA interviews may just come in handy ;)

but if nobody is appointed within the next couple of months, I?ll warn him that Heart fans will get highly sceptical of his announced plans.

If after another couple of months you are only starting to get sceptical then i admire your patience. I have already given up hope of us getting a "manager" as described on the clubs website. I honestly believe we will end up with another diddy for VR to play with or worse Frail.

No worries, sounds good. BTW, agree with the majority of what you've said but Jose does my head in more and more every time I see him play. If we ever get ?2m for him I'll give another ?10 to charity :thumb:

Rudolf's Mate

Good post and I agree on many aspects though not on the managerial positions....

I don't think shaggy is good enough or high profile enough. Agreed Rix was hardly high profile.... Well not high profile in that sense ;) but I really think we need someone who had a proven track record on board. Someone with a strong voice who will make his presence known.... Frail is not that man IMHO.

If after another couple of months you are only starting to get sceptical then i admire your patience. I have already given up hope of us getting a "manager" as described on the clubs website. I honestly believe we will end up with another diddy for VR to play with or worse Frail.

I personally am sceptical now, I don't think it is one of his priorities, there are many who still think we are in the process of looking, I don't mind that, I hope we do get a manger and soon, I will gladly donate to charity if we do.

I personally am sceptical now, I don't think it is one of his priorities, there are many who still think we are in the process of looking, I don't mind that, I hope we do get a manger and soon, I will gladly donate to charity if we do.

mate it does not take 3 months to find a manager, that would be some kind of world record surely ?

I dare VR to prove me wrong and appoint a manager. :rolleyes:

JB28, regarding the substitutions, while it was good to see a change made at half time, instead of the obligitory 60 minute mark, IMO it should have been a double substitution. Both Chesney and Miko were contributing the square root of zilch to the game.

I don't like using wingers anyway but playing with two is a luxury we can ill afford at this present time.

The really worrying thing is, as you pointed out, who would you bring on?

Posted this earlier on what I thought the problems on and off the pitch were, think its a decent summary:

On the pitch:

We have a poor selection of goalkeepers, Banks the best of a bad lot, who feels he needs to punt the ball as far up the pitch as he can to avoid giving it to our hopelessly inept full backs who are so uncomfortable on the ball it is hard to watch. Hence we give the ball away nigh on every time we get it.

We have absolutely no creativity in the midfield area other than Kingston, all the rest of our midfielders are very similar with Ruben being the best option to play alongside Larry in the centre, IMO. Stewart constantly gives the ball away and is a waste of a jersey, despite this he is played every week and given the opportunity to take every set piece. Whilst having very little creativity in the midfield area, we need to ensure we don't waste the opportunities we get from set pieces, unfortunately we waste just about them all.

Our wingers don't get to the byline and whip crosses in, and arguably our best winger hasn't scored a league goal in 3 years. Driver has potential but still isn't quite there yet.

Up front we have very little, Velicka can usually put the ball away but adds very little else to the team, he needs a partner up there with him.

Off the pitch:

We've an owner who has interfered to a ridiculous extent and hired/fired puppets for his own shortcomings. This has transferred down to the team in terms of morale and his made decent players looks poor, and poor players look worse.

The owner has alienated and infuriated fans with his lies and interference to the extent where the slightest mistake on the park is absolutely chastised as fans are so wound up before they even arrive at the ground for the game. There is a lack of trust between owner/manager/puppet and between team and fans all resulting in a tense/hostile atmosphere which can't be enjoyable to play in. Which in turn, I believe has resulted in huge indiscipline from frustrated players.

The owners signing policy is very poor, he should leave signings to footballing people and butt the hell out. If he does find a gem, (which he has done on occassion, allow the manager to give them a trial first before signing him, it would allow us to stop clogging the squad up with duds.)

There is huge problems within our football club, which will not be sorted overnight. The first step would be to allow a football manager (with full control) in to clear out the dross, install some discipline and re-install the feel good factor around the club.

I have huge doubts this will ever happen.

Posted this earlier on what I thought the problems on and off the pitch were, think its a decent summary:

On the pitch:

We have a poor selection of goalkeepers, Banks the best of a bad lot, who feels he needs to punt the ball as far up the pitch as he can to avoid giving it to our hopelessly inept full backs who are so uncomfortable on the ball it is hard to watch. Hence we give the ball away nigh on every time we get it.

We have absolutely no creativity in the midfield area other than Kingston, all the rest of our midfielders are very similar with Ruben being the best option to play alongside Larry in the centre, IMO. Stewart constantly gives the ball away and is a waste of a jersey, despite this he is played every week and given the opportunity to take every set piece. Whilst having very little creativity in the midfield area, we need to ensure we don't waste the opportunities we get from set pieces, unfortunately we waste just about them all.

Our wingers don't get to the byline and whip crosses in, and arguably our best winger hasn't scored a league goal in 3 years. Driver has potential but still isn't quite there yet.

Up front we have very little, Velicka can usually put the ball away but adds very little else to the team, he needs a partner up there with him.

Off the pitch:

We've an owner who has interfered to a ridiculous extent and hired/fired puppets for his own shortcomings. This has transferred down to the team in terms of morale and his made decent players looks poor, and poor players look worse.

The owner has alienated and infuriated fans with his lies and interference to the extent where the slightest mistake on the park is absolutely chastised as fans are so wound up before they even arrive at the ground for the game. There is a lack of trust between owner/manager/puppet and between team and fans all resulting in a tense/hostile atmosphere which can't be enjoyable to play in. Which in turn, I believe has resulted in huge indiscipline from frustrated players.

The owners signing policy is very poor, he should leave signings to footballing people and butt the hell out. If he does find a gem, (which he has done on occassion, allow the manager to give them a trial first before signing him, it would allow us to stop clogging the squad up with duds.)

There is huge problems within our football club, which will not be sorted overnight. The first step would be to allow a football manager (with full control) in to clear out the dross, install some discipline and re-install the feel good factor around the club.

I have huge doubts this will ever happen.

A very good summary on our state of affairs.

Personally, I am not to concerned that Velicka contributes very little apart from his goals. As long as he is scoring then that is good enough for me.

The idea that your striker should be getting through a power of work tracking back and making tackles seems to be, IMO, a very Scottish attitude. Boyd at rangers gets the same accusation thrown at him.

The stats from major international finals usually show the most succesful strikers are those that do the 'least'.

Doubt things will improve? It always feels that way when things are rock bottom but how many times have we hit rock bottom and bounced back?:)

A very good summary on our state of affairs.

Personally, I am not to concerned that Velicka contributes very little apart from his goals. As long as he is scoring then that is good enough for me.

The idea that your striker should be getting through a power of work tracking back and making tackles seems to be, IMO, a very Scottish attitude. Boyd at rangers gets the same accusation thrown at him.

The stats from major international finals usually show the most succesful strikers are those that do the 'least'.

Doubt things will improve? It always feels that way when things are rock bottom but how many times have we hit rock bottom and bounced back?:)

The bit I wrote wasn't meant to be a slate on Velicka, it was more to mention that we're using him as a hold up man rather than a poacher which is what he is.

The bit I wrote wasn't meant to be a slate on Velicka, it was more to mention that we're using him as a hold up man rather than a poacher which is what he is.

Fair do's. That was the only bit of your post that I thought I could find a disagreement on. Even then it seems we're in agreement.

Another point I forgot to mention last night on the subject of Frail.

Frail is said to have mentioned in the past he rates Elliot. He gave him some hope, some encouragement to a player that would have been feeling down after a STUPID red card (I'm still angry about that), surely that is what all good managers do...

If Frail can get Elliot to take that aggression he has and instead of him lunging at players, he can run towards the ball with that enthusiasm, work hard in every game, beat players and hopefully score a couple.

All Frail has been doing is giving our players that encouragement that none of them would have had in years. (Sorry to pick up on the Bednar story again but) that was Bednar's reason he wasn't playing well or trying, he wasn't getting that encouragement or someone telling him once in a while he is a good player, that is what everyone needs once in a while (not just footballers).

Another reason Frail was slated, he brung Ivaskevicius into the squad, he has showed in glimspes in the past he is an alright player (the majority of the time he hasn't been up to scratch), he's probally thinking he'll never get a game again, but that decision by Frail will give Kes a wee glimmer of hope, that will push him on in training and if he impresses to a high enough standard he'll get a game and that would be Frail who has improved that player because of a little decision, bringing him into the squad.

Frail may not have the experience of coaching a successful football team but I definitely think he is a great man-manager and can really motivate players.

Good post. My only objections to any points made are the following:

Goncalves: still not sure about him. Why would teams pay 2 Million for someone who has a panic attack when the balls at his feet.

Frail being manager: Just feel that in his time at the club, the players have seen him undermined so much by the powers that be, that they may not have the same respect they would have for a new man with full autonomy from the start. I'm not saying the players dont respect him, but more in a big bro sort of way rather than a father figure that you strive to impress and make proud.

Thoroughly enjoyable post from the OP. It's such a nice change to read something that involves some positivity.

I wouldn't be surprised if Frail gets the job but as I've said a few times over the past couple of days, I really hope that he doesn't take it...for his own sake. The mood amongst the fans isn't conducive to giving inexperienced managers leeway and I'd hate to see him become another of those given a daily roasting. He deserves our support but he'd only get that if the results drastically improve and I don't think we can rely on this squad to make that sort of turnaround. I think they'll get better, but this season is probably a write off...

I love the idea of having charity benefit from a managerial appointment, if enough people pledge something there's a chance the media might pick up on this y'know. It turns the whole debate into something very positive instead of the usual KB-style fighting....so count me in too. If we get a new manager, I'll happily donate ?10 to the agreed charity.

:)

Good post. My only objections to any points made are the following:

Goncalves: still not sure about him. Why would teams pay 2 Million for someone who has a panic attack when the balls at his feet.

Frail being manager: Just feel that in his time at the club, the players have seen him undermined so much by the powers that be, that they may not have the same respect they would have for a new man with full autonomy from the start. I'm not saying the players dont respect him, but more in a big bro sort of way rather than a father figure that you strive to impress and make proud.

I see where you are coming from on the Frail point, it isn't so much as respect he is being giving by the players, it is more loyalty to Frail. Is that it?

Yeh, I reckon so. The fact that he's been around so long under so many different managers probably means he's always played "good cop". I reckon that this makes the transition to "bad cop" that bit harder. A fresh face in terms of instilling discipline and fear (coupled with sound tactical knowledge and an eye for a player please!) which is then channelled in a positive manner on the park by the players, is what we are in dire need of IMHO.

meridian jambo

I have never seen any example of Frail being a "great man-manager", can you please enlighten me!! Not saying he is bad because I genuinely don't know either way. But the way that lot started on Tuesday did not make me think the final team talk was particularly enspiring.

They came out playing better in the second half, but could we have been any worse? :eek:

Some good comments but some fundamental floors.

I afraid as long as SF plays Miko and Elliot he will be an incompetent manager.

Surely there must be someone in the reserves that can bring some quality to team. I would rather see a couple of youngsters playing like Copel etc. I am sure they would not let the team down.

I have said it a hundred time on JKB, Miko has a responsibility to create chances for the forwards. Although Driver has off moments during a game he does invariably cause problems for the opposition and will get a some good crosses in to the forwards.

Miko has spent the last two games offloading the ball as soon as he gets it as he clearly does not want the ball. On the one occasion he had space to run on tuesday he ran the ball out of touch with no one near him.

I have never seen any example of Frail being a "great man-manager", can you please enlighten me!! Not saying he is bad because I genuinely don't know either way. But the way that lot started on Tuesday did not make me think the final team talk was particularly enspiring.

They came out playing better in the second half, but could we have been any worse? :eek:

There have been a couple of players come out and said they wanted Frail to be the permanent boss, there must be things he is saying or doing that makes the players think this way, it isn't the current results we are getting so it must be something...

I think the initial formation didn't work against Motherwell, they defended against 4-5-1 well, when they changed to 4-4-2 Motherwell were struggling but still coping, it was a game that if we got a goal we would have gone on to win it, it was that type of game.

There have been a couple of players come out and said they wanted Frail to be the permanent boss, there must be things he is saying or doing that makes the players think this way, it isn't the current results we are getting so it must be something...

Have you considered the possibility of "self preservation"?

Have you considered the possibility of "self preservation"?

I suppose that could be the case. But it is the players that would probally play anyway, I'm sure Banks was one of them and the other may have been Berra (I'm not sure about that though?)

It happens all the time in football. Yesterday Burley said he will be looking at a current SPL manager to be his assistant and today both Calderwood and JJ have come out and supported the appointment of Burley...:rolleyes:

Archived