'The Alex Salmond Show' - On Russia Today

Jambo-Jimbo

4 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

What’s the difference?

Being interviewed by a journalist in the lobby of Holyrood for an opinion and being paid by their broadcaster to produce a show is different.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

1. I agree - Corbyn and his shadow cabinet shouldn't be on RT. 

2. Salmond can do what he wants. But shouldn't to the detriment of his party and movement. He's very closely linked in the public mind to the SNP. So what he says and does carries weight. It's why he gets gigs on BBCQT, Newsnight, Daily/Sunday Politics as a spokesperson sanctioned by the SNP. So yes he's free to do what he likes but you'd have hoped he'd maybe do things that may not pull him into disrepute and discredit himself and by association (right or wrong) his party.

3. Pro-Yes voices are present in multiple media outlets in the UK. Writers in major broadsheets and red tops. A new newspaper. A sunday paper. Repeated prominent Yes people on BBC Scotland radio. SNP politicians on panels for various major political shows. There is actually balance and plurality of opinions in the media. 

4. (a) "the Mail, Sky, or the BBC" - The Mail is a private organisation with an independent editorial line bought by a significant number of people in Scotland. Sky and the BBC are equally editorially independent of their financial backers - like the Mail or Evening News for that. None of their backers have bern accused of the murder and silencing of journslists.

(b) "present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy" - Or a Russian view of UK-US and western foreign policy. Like I say, when did RT take a questioning view on the rights and wrongs of Russian backed militias in Donetsk or of annexing Crimea?

Which will surely have to stop, as Sturgeon can't criticise Salmond for him going to RT and still have him as a sanctioned SNP spokesperson.

What a gift and a half that would be to all the other political parties not just in Scotland but in Westminster as well, if he isn't now dumped by the SNP.

ToadKiller Dog

Hysterical nonsense. 

Who gave RT its licence to have a channel the Labour government in 2005

Dont remember any hysteria then. 

Who gave RT a license to have RT UK channel the tory dumbs government! Launched 2014. 

Salmond to host a show question hysteria. 

Old George Foulks woke up to call Salmond a traitor in that bastion of freedom and impartial journalism the daily express (says it all). 

Personally I wouldn't have made the same choice as Salmond but his show is an irrelevance in comparison to the likes of power that people like Paul Dacre, Murdoch and the BBC have over shaping public opinion and policy in the UK 

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2017/11/11/rts-are-not-endorsements/

14 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Hysterical nonsense. 

Who gave RT its licence to have a channel the Labour government in 2005

Dont remember any hysteria then. 

Who gave RT a license to have RT UK channel the tory dumbs government! Launched 2014. 

Salmond to host a show question hysteria. 

Old George Foulks woke up to call Salmond a traitor in that bastion of freedom and impartial journalism the daily express (says it all). 

Personally I wouldn't have made the same choice as Salmond but his show is an irrelevance in comparison to the likes of power that people like Paul Dacre, Murdoch and the BBC have over shaping public opinion and policy in the UK 

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2017/11/11/rts-are-not-endorsements/

Nothing wrong with a commitment to media plurality and allowing RT to broadcast. More an issue of their backers and opting to jump into bed with them.

Keep it going Eck.  The halfwits think it’s great to wind up the majority.   But all it does is drive middle-ground  votes away.   Go Eck and Vladimir!

2 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Take you've missed the coverage of the paradise papers, harrasment scandals, Patel fiasco and Johnson... not to mention their coverage of the Brexit shambles. Regularly asking tough questions and breaking these types of stories. Even against their own organisation.

When have RT been broke stories that cast scrutiny of Putin on press freedom? Or Russian actions in Syria or Ukraine? The persecution of the LGBT community? 

The BBC has editorial independence in journalism from their paymasters (ultimately the licence payer), the state and of the BBC Trust. Like Sky News do. Like CNN. F24 in France etc.

RT has repeatedly shown it doesn't. By it's actions. Added to that they have recently registered in the USA as a foreign state agency.

So the differences are pretty substantial. Which makes this a lapse of judgement and ut is one for any mainstream UK politician. It used to be the home of Galloway and Farage. Leave them to it as increasingly it's clear these two have had a degree of Kremlin funding through various other means.

Raise you, BBC Gavin Esler Vote no Borders, 

1 hour ago, deesidejambo said:

Keep it going Eck.  The halfwits think it’s great to wind up the majority.   But all it does is drive middle-ground  votes away.   Go Eck and Vladimir!

That is a good question 

Fight might have been lost 

For a generation anway

Thunderstruck

If Salmondovich takes requests for music on his show do you think we could get him to play Roy Orbison’s “It’s over”, then Talking Heads’ “Once in a lifetime”. 

I'd have thought that those criticising Salmond should really be pleased, given RTs apparent image amongst same voices. 

Irrespective of broadcaster, it seems more a wish to silence Salmond. No one is forcing anyone to watch this! 

Wonder if Eck still has a shot on the swings with his good lady at the same time having one eye on the insurance policies no doubt

2 hours ago, Space Mackerel said:

65877834-D0C1-46CF-B08C-E83FD9021607.jpeg

Only source for that story was the state broadcaster Itar-Tass. I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

It's some of the types of attitudes on this thread that turned me to independence a long time ago. Playing the man as usual.

I know we all do it but he doesn't represent every thought for Scots and we did vote for independence it was others who lost it for us. That includes propaganda.

yabadabadoo1874again
5 minutes ago, jambo1961 said:

Proud to be part of the ''NAW'' brigade

Proud BritNat is a thing btw.

Geoff the Mince

For me anyone appearing on RT is due criticism (Nat or Brit)

This is a channel which for 5 yrs has backed Assad and Russians actions resulting in 100'000s of civilian deaths,

not Jihadis civilians !

Wheres  thier moral compass for taking blood money ?

Thunderstruck
10 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

It's some of the types of attitudes on this thread that turned me to independence a long time ago. Playing the man as usual.

I know we all do it but he doesn't represent every thought for Scots and we did vote for independence it was others who lost it for us. That includes propaganda.

Everybody views the world, the media and politics through the prism of their own prejudices and we can make allowances for that. Delusion (highlighted) on the other hand....

Just now, Thunderstruck said:

Everybody views the world, the media and politics through the prism of their own prejudices and we can make allowances for that. Delusion (highlighted) on the other hand....

Scots  did.

Thunderstruck
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Demographics. Not prejudices.

Wrong again, it’s your prejudiced, narrow view that cons you into believing nonsensical “analysis”. 

If someone with a contrary view had suggested that the Irish demographic had swung the vote to “Yes” in Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and Dundee, you would be scathing of that view. That, however, is a view that has some traction in some bigoted groups. 

4 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Wrong again, it’s your prejudiced, narrow view that cons you into believing nonsensical “analysis”. 

If someone with a contrary view had suggested that the Irish demographic had swung the vote to “Yes” in Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and Dundee, you would be scathing of that view. That, however, is a view that has some traction in some bigoted groups. 

Irish of which I'm part and Italian. Voted for Brexit. Don't get your point but then you're  a Britnat and  I know your narrowinded point of view.

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Scots  did.

So there were 2,500,000 non-Scots who voted against independence?

That's a new one.

6 hours ago, Hunky Dory said:

Of course it’s party political.

Corbyn was on RT not that long back, as the leader of the opposition. No discussion. Salmond’s a member of the public. He can do what he wants.

The problem here is that pro-Independence voices are gaining exposure on media outlets that is out with the control of the unionist arm.

RT is no worse than the Mail, Sky, or the BBC. They actually present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy than any of the afore mentioned three.

Agree. I started watching RT a couple of years ago and found it more believable on most world news areas than the BBC

7 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

That's a new one.

Majority of Scots. Anyway we are where we are so thanks for our current Westminster govt.

10 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

That's a new one.

The majority of Scots voted for independence

Ecks choking or a ride after a few weeks away in London  ..what does he do.. lets face it if he does go for it with his burd death wont be far away just saying likes

2 minutes ago, jambo1961 said:

Ecks choking or a ride after a few weeks away in London  ..what does he do.. lets face it if he does go for it with his burd death wont be far away just saying likes

Stay off the lager.

9 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Majority of Scots. Anyway we are where we are so thanks for our current Westminster govt.

8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

The majority of Scots voted for independence

Based on what, exactly?

If you honestly think the vote was hijacked by non-Scot voters then you're, quite frankly, a dangerous individual.

4 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Stay off the lager.

How

Thems the facts

Then again maybe his good lady is a guise like plenty MP's have when they like to take it  up the

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

Based on what, exactly?

If you honestly think the vote was hijacked by non-Scot voters then you're, quite frankly, a dangerous individual.

The analysis of the demographics. Dangerous individual? Give it a rest for goodness sake! I'm an ordinary person wishing to see my country govern itself like normal countries.

1 minute ago, Roxy Hearts said:

The analysis of the demographics. Dangerous individual? Give it a rest for goodness sake! I'm an ordinary person wishing to see my country govern itself like normal countries.

The "analysis" is nonsense. Unless you spoke to every single person who voted, then your claim is whimsical, romanticised garbage.

If the majority of Scots wanted to be independent, then it would've happened.

7 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Based on what, exactly?

There have been a few polls showing that the majority of Scots voted Yes. Ruk voters voted about 70 to 30 No and EU voters 65 to 35 No. No Rgument with that as it was always stated the vote was for everyone living in Scotland.

Let's have a closer look at some of the numbers.

122,036 votes cast in Dumfries and Galloway - 65.67% voted against. So the majority of those people weren't from Scotland.

61.10% of 378,012 votes cast in Edinburgh were No. The majority of those people weren't from Scotland either?

206,486 votes in Aberdeenshire, 60.36% majority against. Loads of non-Scottish people in the Grampian area then.

This the majority of Scots voted Yes nonsense is laughable.

3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

There have been a few polls showing that the majority of Scots voted Yes. Ruk voters voted about 70 to 30 No and EU voters 65 to 35 No. No Rgument with that as it was always stated the vote was for everyone living in Scotland.

I didn't take part in any of those polls.

Did they send that out to every voter? Polls mean nothing in these debates.

From the last Edinburgh census, 2011.

1. 401,000 people in Edinburgh were born within the UK.

1. Of those Edinburgh residents born in the UK, 335,000 or 83% were born in Scotland,14% in England, 1.6% in Northern Ireland and 0.5% in Wales.

But of course, it was only the non-Scots who voted No. Those numbers totally add up :laugh:

Shouldny have polls near an election I say also had the kids not had a vote the Naw vote would have been even better..What gets me about the SNP  is the fact they have swallowed the Tories lot from the days gone by  yet want to be independent

Even kept Major in for longer thing is the SNP are scotlands Tories and always have been

yabadabadoo1874again
21 minutes ago, jambo1961 said:

Shouldny have polls near an election I say also had the kids not had a vote the Naw vote would have been even better..What gets me about the SNP  is the fact they have swallowed the Tories lot from the days gone by  yet want to be independent

Even kept Major in for longer thing is the SNP are scotlands Tories and always have been

Ragin' BritNat Red Tory...

Shat it and voted no.  Yes?

Your BritNationalist utopia isn't going so well is it.  No?

34 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The "analysis" is nonsense. Unless you spoke to every single person who voted, then your claim is whimsical, romanticised garbage.

If the majority of Scots wanted to be independent, then it would've happened.

Calling me a dangerous individual nullifies any respect for your responses. 

You Britnats really are something when you're up against it.

Just now, Roxy Hearts said:

Calling me a dangerous individual nullifies any respect for your responses. 

You Britnats really are something when you're up against it.

And you CyberNats hate it when folk present evidence to counter your nonsensical ravings.

yabadabadoo1874again
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

And you CyberNats hate it when folk present evidence to counter your nonsensical ravings.

CyBritNat!!! 

Kinda rolls off the tongue...?

Archived