'The Alex Salmond Show' - On Russia Today

Jambo-Jimbo

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been the Alex Salmond show for about the past 10 years in Scotland.  Thank **** he has taken his shite elsewhere.

Space Mackerel
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

It could've been worse and he joined the BBC.

Hes no that daft, his reputation would be in tatters after that. 

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

Hes no that daft, his reputation would be in tatters after that. 

:laugh:

2 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Selling himself to Putin TV  he really is on a downward spiral .

Elder statesman to George Galloway in 3 years is a plummet. His talk about editorial freedom is looking dubious too when you look into the share capital behind his media company as well.

5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Good Old Alex winding up the establishment. Brilliant.

And his own leadership.

SNP's Lead MEP Alan Smyth lashed out at his actions. Sturgeon has called it poor judgement by saying she'll maintain criticism on Russian actions and policies whilst saying Salmond made a poor choice.

Space Mackerel
1 minute ago, JamboX2 said:

Elder statesman to George Galloway in 3 years is a plummet. His talk about editorial freedom is looking dubious too when you look into the share capital behind his media company as well.

I don’t think he’s stoopped as low as appearing in a nappy on Celebrity Big Brother....yet. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I don’t think he’s stoopped as low as appearing in a nappy on Celebrity Big Brother....yet. :lol:

Give him a few years. He'll be on STV2's version of "I'm a celebrity get me oot'ah here", eating deep fried mars bars and greeting into is sleeping bag ;)

Space Mackerel
46 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Give him a few years. He'll be on STV2's version of "I'm a celebrity get me oot'ah here", eating deep fried mars bars and greeting into is sleeping bag ;)

:lol:

He’s around for a long time yet, even had the pleasure of meeting him at the Festival with John Bercow. He’s alright for a Tory but he does lean to the centre these days. And he’s a Celtic fan :-/ 

Geoff the Mince
1 minute ago, Space Mackerel said:

:lol:

He’s around for a long time yet, even had the pleasure of meeting him at the Festival with John Bercow. He’s alright for a Tory but he does lean to the centre these days. And he’s a Celtic fan :-/ 

I hope you took the tinfoil off yer heid ?

44 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

5D49245F-9A75-4936-87CE-90D0ECBD2A8A.jpeg

I hope you waited until after the 9pm watershed before you posted that.

:boak:Indeed

heard a piece on radio Scotland news tonight, driving home, and they had an academic from a Uni down South basically saying what's the problem?

In using RT Salmond has immediately raised the profile of his show!

2 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

And his own leadership.

SNP's Lead MEP Alan Smyth lashed out at his actions. Sturgeon has called it poor judgement by saying she'll maintain criticism on Russian actions and policies whilst saying Salmond made a poor choice.

Couldn't care less what other politicians think, it's good to see some folk wound up over it. 

You'd think he'd committed some grave offence. 

47 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I hope you waited until after the 9pm watershed before you posted that.

:boak:Indeed

An improvement on May and Davidson. Not only their looks but their awful politics.

7 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

An improvement on May and Davidson. Not only their looks but their awful politics.

All three (May, Sturgeon & Davidson) would give the Graeae sisters a run for their money. :laugh:

I'm all for it.  He is becoming more and more toxic to thinking voters so he is further damaging the Indy cause.    Go Jabba!

3 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Couldn't care less what other politicians think, it's good to see some folk wound up over it. 

You'd think he'd committed some grave offence. 

Others in his own party leading the cause in his wake though.

He's made a terrible choice to jump into bed with RT. An organisation which has never criticised the Kremlin on anything controversial like journalists and opponents  being jailed and killed, on Crimea it pumped out propaganda, for it's homophobia or repression of a real democracy. But for a man who dreamt of being leader of an independent western nation jumping into RT's bed is fine.

The only difference between Farage and Salmond is that one was a winner (unfortunately) , and it wasn't the fat sweaty one.

Both of them are knobs who will do anything to remain in the public spotlight after politics.

7 hours ago, Hunky Dory said:

Labour and tory politicians have been taking dollar from RT and Sputnik for yonks.  They've no moral high ground.

I'm behind Salmond and his one man crusade to take over the media in Scotland.

This isn't really party political. Anyone taking the RT dollar should be questioned as to why.

The organisation is a front for the Kremlin with 0 editorial independence.

Salmond can keep blaming the media for his defeat in 2014 all he wants but it won't actually address the issues which actually caused his defeat which is ultimately a lack of confidence in his plans and for independence.

9 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Others in his own party leading the cause in his wake though.

He's made a terrible choice to jump into bed with RT. An organisation which has never criticised the Kremlin on anything controversial like journalists and opponents  being jailed and killed, on Crimea it pumped out propaganda, for it's homophobia or repression of a real democracy. But for a man who dreamt of being leader of an independent western nation jumping into RT's bed is fine.

He's chairing a programme not running for office in Russia. Maybe it's because we share the same Saint and they do like Rabbie Burns

Lighten up JX2 you sound like a no voting sore winner but I know you voted yes.

16 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

DOWRDQ6W0AAQdUb.jpg

Very good but still get my vote. Bash on Big Eck. SNP Scottish and good enough for me. 

Sore winner trappy!

16 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Good Old Alex winding up the establishment. Brilliant.

I'm interested in what sort of media broadcasting/ news the SNP wants in an independent Scotland

One that is independent? That holds the powerful including Governments to account?

I understand that the BBC and others were seen as the establishment in the independence campaign and 'supported the Union' perhaps a bit like they favour the EU over Brexit.

What do they want?

Certainly Russia Today / RT was at worst uncritical of the take over by Russia of Crimea from Ukraine. It doesn't give a platform to the Russian oposition though it does to those critical of the US and the West.

No harm in the Salmond show. But there are wider questions. What does the SNP / independence campaign want in a Media?

1 minute ago, Hunky Dory said:

Of course it’s party political.

Corbyn was on RT not that long back, as the leader of the opposition. No discussion. Salmond’s a member of the public. He can do what he wants.

The problem

RT is no worse than the Mail, Sky, or the BBC. They actually present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy than any of the afore mentioned three.

But does RT provide a fair insight into Russian policy?

6 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Did Salmond not win every election he contested for 30 years? Comparing that to a man who lost every one he stood in. Take a break from the site for a few

months and it’s still the same old regurgitated unionist tripe that’s rattling around polluting the place.

Salmond lost his referendum , thankfully. Farage won his, unfortunately.

Both love the limelight and will stoop to anything to remain in it.

What's so difficult to grasp about that?

3 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

No more than the BBC does on anything British.

There were a lot of questions about the invasion of Iraq. There were more recently about us bombing IS in Syria. There have been questions about UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia while they bomb civilians in Yemen. 

You won't get any of that on RT

9 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

No more than the BBC does on anything British.

Take you've missed the coverage of the paradise papers, harrasment scandals, Patel fiasco and Johnson... not to mention their coverage of the Brexit shambles. Regularly asking tough questions and breaking these types of stories. Even against their own organisation.

When have RT been broke stories that cast scrutiny of Putin on press freedom? Or Russian actions in Syria or Ukraine? The persecution of the LGBT community? 

The BBC has editorial independence in journalism from their paymasters (ultimately the licence payer), the state and of the BBC Trust. Like Sky News do. Like CNN. F24 in France etc.

RT has repeatedly shown it doesn't. By it's actions. Added to that they have recently registered in the USA as a foreign state agency.

So the differences are pretty substantial. Which makes this a lapse of judgement and ut is one for any mainstream UK politician. It used to be the home of Galloway and Farage. Leave them to it as increasingly it's clear these two have had a degree of Kremlin funding through various other means.

Just now, Hunky Dory said:

Salmond won everything he stood for from the 1980s - 2011. 

Farage stood as a candidate on numerous occasions, failing every time to win a seat.

Though arguably Farage has been more influential 

He got a wide platform on the media because he was different and I'm not sure Brexit would have happened otherwise. 

He has now joined the alt-right in US and is involved in several projects off radar. 

4 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Salmond won everything he stood for from the 1980s - 2011. 

Farage stood as a candidate on numerous occasions, failing every time to win a seat.

Except for the 1987, 1992, 1997, 2001, 2005 and 2010 general elections with his party. Nor the 99 and 03 elections in Scotland with the SNP? 

27 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Did Salmond not win every election he contested for 30 years? Comparing that to a man who lost every one he stood in. Take a break from the site for a few

months and it’s still the same old regurgitated unionist tripe that’s rattling around polluting the place.

3 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Some of us of course have never voted SNP but you keep throwing your wild generalizations out there. Labour is more of a cult than the SNP has ever been.

What were you were saying about throwing generalizations about?

Pot kettle black.

1 minute ago, Hunky Dory said:

Agreed. But that doesn’t tie in the original post.

Yes it does. Farage won in the end. The UK is leaving the EU. Salmond lost, Scotland is still in the UK. One is a winner and one is a loser.

Jeez

16 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Some of us of course have never voted SNP but you keep throwing your wild generalizations out there. Labour is more of a cult than the SNP has ever been.

You seem quite offended, even though you state my post wasn't aimed at you.

I didn't vote Labour in the last election champ.

1 minute ago, pablo said:

Yes it does. Farage won in the end. The UK is leaving the EU. Salmond lost, Scotland is still in the UK. One is a winner and one is a loser.

Jeez

Its pretty clear

43 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Take a break from the site for a few months and it’s still the same old regurgitated unionist tripe that’s rattling around polluting the place.

Feel free to leave again then, if this place is so unpleasant for you.

49 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

He's chairing a programme not running for office in Russia. Maybe it's because we share the same Saint and they do like Rabbie Burns

Lighten up JX2 you sound like a no voting sore winner but I know you voted yes.

Salmond is the key culprit for the defeat in 2014 and his actions since have done him or the yes movement no favours. The SNP surge was Sturgeon. He has rode a wave.

My issue is there's a lot of duplicity here and a bit of smoke and mirrors. If you look into the company he set up (Slainge Media Ltd) there's a few startling revelations to cast doubt on his "editorial independence" on RT.

1. He says it was a company set up after the success of his show in order to meet the request for a permanent show. Check Companies House (we all can for free) https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC572513. Set up before the Fringe run in July.

2. The company has a share capital of £2. Two share holders - Mr Salmond and Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh. A £1 each. There are no standard securities, unsecured loans or cautionary obligations on the company. So the operating budget will be a £2 as that is the operating budget of Slainte Media Ltd. The statement from Salmond is he will produce the show and sell it to RT. On £2? Really?

I'd add there is an ability to underwrite the shareholding. But that is nearly always (to secure a creditors credit) matched by a standard security. None are registered. These must be registered against the company on CH within 21 days. But this show is apparently already being produced.

3. If we put these two together the question to be asked is where is the funding to make a show for RT coming from if the company has a capital of £2? If it is RT, then he and Tasmina Ahmed Sheikh are being paid by RT to make a show by RT and packaged as being by his company then he will be bound to adhere to RT editorial guidelines and therefore not free to speak his mind - as he has claimed.

There's a bit to this if the surface is scratched. It's clearly why Sturgeon has moved to distance herself from him yesterday and by virtue the SNP.

Thunderstruck
12 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

They are both still state broadcasters, and have their own set agendas.

Here’s a fact for you. FIFTY Labour, THIRTY SEVEN Tory and SEVEN Lib Dem's have appeared on RT or Sputnik of late.

Many of the same individuals decrying Salmond were among that lot. Absolute hypocrites.

Pretty pointless fact Unless they all had their own “show”. 

42 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Of course it’s party political.

Corbyn was on RT not that long back, as the leader of the opposition. No discussion. Salmond’s a member of the public. He can do what he wants.

The problem here is that pro-Independence voices are gaining exposure on media outlets that is out with the control of the unionist arm.

RT is no worse than the Mail, Sky, or the BBC. They actually present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy than any of the afore mentioned three.

1. I agree - Corbyn and his shadow cabinet shouldn't be on RT. 

2. Salmond can do what he wants. But shouldn't to the detriment of his party and movement. He's very closely linked in the public mind to the SNP. So what he says and does carries weight. It's why he gets gigs on BBCQT, Newsnight, Daily/Sunday Politics as a spokesperson sanctioned by the SNP. So yes he's free to do what he likes but you'd have hoped he'd maybe do things that may not pull him into disrepute and discredit himself and by association (right or wrong) his party.

3. Pro-Yes voices are present in multiple media outlets in the UK. Writers in major broadsheets and red tops. A new newspaper. A sunday paper. Repeated prominent Yes people on BBC Scotland radio. SNP politicians on panels for various major political shows. There is actually balance and plurality of opinions in the media. 

4. (a) "the Mail, Sky, or the BBC" - The Mail is a private organisation with an independent editorial line bought by a significant number of people in Scotland. Sky and the BBC are equally editorially independent of their financial backers - like the Mail or Evening News for that. None of their backers have bern accused of the murder and silencing of journslists.

(b) "present a fairer insight into UK-US foreign policy" - Or a Russian view of UK-US and western foreign policy. Like I say, when did RT take a questioning view on the rights and wrongs of Russian backed militias in Donetsk or of annexing Crimea?

26 minutes ago, Hunky Dory said:

Seats. The comparison was there.

Won seats yes. Not elections as leader. Did Kinnock win in 1987 or 92? 

54 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm interested in what sort of media broadcasting/ news the SNP wants in an independent Scotland

One that is independent? That holds the powerful including Governments to account?

I understand that the BBC and others were seen as the establishment in the independence campaign and 'supported the Union' perhaps a bit like they favour the EU over Brexit.

What do they want?

Certainly Russia Today / RT was at worst uncritical of the take over by Russia of Crimea from Ukraine. It doesn't give a platform to the Russian oposition though it does to those critical of the US and the West.

No harm in the Salmond show. But there are wider questions. What does the SNP / independence campaign want in a Media?

Free access to Coronation Street, Eastenders and Match of the day?

Archived