Aaron Hughes and NI ( merged )

Strachsuit

Called up to the NI squad again, despite not featuring for us for weeks. Unbelievable. 

Can someone remind me who it is that pays his wages? 

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wavydavy

• i8hibsh

• Spencer

• Marooned Abroad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been here before

He's got a vast amount of experience at both club and international level which can be used and passed on to other players.

Why wouldnt he be in the squad?

Bazzas right boot

Taking the piss a bit he plays the full 90 then comes back here to sit on his arse.

They are important games tho, so if he plays then comes back for us fit, no issue.

9 minutes ago, Crete said:

If he isn’t fit to play for Hearts he shouldn’t play for Northern Ireland.

If indeed he does play for Norn Iron, his contract should be torn up as an absolute fecking Imposter and taking money under false pretences!!!!

11 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

If indeed he does play for Norn Iron, his contract should be torn up as an absolute fecking Imposter and taking money under false pretences!!!!

I agree with this. Northern Ireland are not paying his wages, we are!

I get the impression that he is just using us to top up his pension fund before he retires and using our medical and fitness team so he can continue to play for his country.

His main priority is beating Pat Jennings record and Hearts are second best which is just not acceptable.

Jobs for the boys when we signed him.

Edited by Lambo85

6 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Do you really think he is avoiding playing for us so that he can play for NI? By the time the play-offs take place he probably hasn’t had any first team football for six weeks. Hardly ideal preparation. He is a key member of the squad behind the scenes as well as on it. He was away with them for matchdays  in October despite being unfit for us. Didnt  play though. 

If they are losing heavily towards of second leg he will be given a few minutes just to break the record. Unless they get to Moscow next month is his final involvement with NI as a player. He said when he joined us that the principal reason was to keep fit and playing first team football so he could go to Moscow if NI qualify. He has been open and honest with us. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your agenda. 

Another masterstroke from Levein. Give a broken down old horse another year so he can sit on our treatment table and top up the old pension.

Craig Gordons Gloves
29 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you really think he is avoiding playing for us so that he can play for NI? By the time the play-offs take place he probably hasn’t had any first team football for six weeks. Hardly ideal preparation. He is a key member of the squad behind the scenes as well as on it. He was away with them for matchdays  in October despite being unfit for us. Didnt  play though. 

If they are losing heavily towards of second leg he will be given a few minutes just to break the record. Unless they get to Moscow next month is his final involvement with NI as a player. He said when he joined us that the principal reason was to keep fit and playing first team football so he could go to Moscow if NI qualify. He has been open and honest with us. Sorry if that doesn’t fit your agenda. 

Ah, some sanity. Thank you. 

What a minute, let me get this right....just so I am clear! 

A guy who played in 455 games in the English premier league which is awash with money. Played in the Australian league which offers good money and played in the Indian super league that pays stupid wages. 

This same guy is "topping up his pension".... At Hearts? 

Look I can see the sense in being critical of his fitness record but  he could probably pay the For  loan to Ms Budge himself 

Topping up his pension?FFS 

Edited by Bozi

40 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The word "agenda" is a touch too freely used on here imo 

I can understand the "good for morale" bit and helping the NI squad with his experience In the Dressing Room but If he was/Is not going to be playing,surely he doesn't need to be named In the playing squad.Which Is robbing a fit player from featuring.

Why not wait and see what happens before getting on a player's back?

I really hope that players pay no attention to what gets put up on here. Any who did would surely think 'why bother trying to please these people?'

45 minutes ago, Huguenot said:

Another masterstroke from Levein. Give a broken down old horse another year so he can sit on our treatment table and top up the old pension.

Signed by Cathro on the advice of Mcphee. 

Given 1 years extension while Cathro still in place. 

Some real bitter people on here showing their ability to not let anything get in the road of a pop at the club or players, makes you wonder where their allegiance actually lies.

7 minutes ago, Macros said:

Some real bitter people on here showing their ability to not let anything get in the road of a pop at the club or players, makes you wonder where their allegiance actually lies.

Not really. He has made a handful of appearances due to being injured constantly and was given a new one year deal, at a time when we have no money or players. 

I understand peoples frustration. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
15 minutes ago, Huguenot said:

He's managed a whole 12 games for us. I wonder how much that works out per game:mad:

Money for old rope.

12 in total since he signed? I'd be willing to wager it's more than that.

If he was actually fit he'd be playing for us, or on the bench at the very least. Nothing to see here folks, as odd as it may be that he's been called up.

Hes been put in the squad for a game in ten or so days but hasn't played the last couple weeks because of Injury? Do people not realize that injuries heal over time and that a game in 10 days is further in the future than a game last week? Having to simple it down quite a lot here. He's possible to be fit for the game so he's been put in the squad. If fit he will play. What's the issue ? 

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

What a minute, let me get this right....just so I am clear! 

A guy who played in 455 games in the English premier league which is awash with money. Played in the Australian league which offers good money and played in the Indian super league that pays stupid wages. 

This same guy is "topping up his pension".... At Hearts? 

Look I can see the sense in being critical of his fitness record but  he could probably pay the For  loan to Ms Budge himself 

Topping up his pension?FFS 

This place is hilarious these days. So many posters desperate to slag off any and all players/coaches/owners connected to our club.

2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

This place is hilarious these days. So many posters desperate to slag off any and all players/coaches/owners connected to our club.

I'd say correct but I don't find it funny, I know it's a forum where there will be people with different viewpoints but there are some more than others who just cannot wait to twist anything that's happening, good or bad, into something negative.

Does still offer something when he plays. Strolled through the Aberdeen game.

If he's fit for the weekend I'd play him with Berra and move Souttar into holding midfield to provide a bit more "bite" in there. What we're doing at the moment isn't working.

35 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Not really. He has made a handful of appearances due to being injured constantly and was given a new one year deal, at a time when we have no money or players. 

I understand peoples frustration. 

i'd imagine Hughes himself is pretty frustrated.

Don't we get a compensation payment because he's been called up?  Seems a bit weird to moan about his apparent wage thievery for being injured and getting called up if we are being compensated for a guy who'd be doing nothing anyway.

8 minutes ago, EH11 said:

i'd imagine Hughes himself is pretty frustrated.

No doubt. I like the guy and am not slating him, I just understand, and share the frustration regarding him. Especially when we gave him an extended contract while we were skint, not our finest decision. 

2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

To answer your first question then yes, I think if he felt he needed to miss out on playing for us to give him a better chance to be fit for a NI match then he would absolutely avoid playing for us.

His first priority is not playing for Hearts, that much is clear. I find that unacceptable. In my opinion a players first allegiances should lye with his domestic club as they are the ones paying his wages. Call that an agenda if you want, it's just my opinion.

Giving Hughes a years exention was no more than a favour from his pal MacPhee. We should have freed up his wage to bring another younger and more committed centre back in. 

The sooner he breaks the record the better and we can get him punted.

Edited by Lambo85

1 hour ago, Spencer said:

The word "agenda" is a touch too freely used on here imo 

Not sure what you mean but to suggest he is a wage thief or topping up his pension, as some have done,  is just nonsense. He will be earning less with us than he was 10-12 years ago. The posts I’m referring to are just the latest  from people having a go at anything they  can remotely link to weakness in Levein and/or Budge. 

The reality re Hughes is that a Hearts player is about to become most-capped british player of all time. Yes not many of them earned whilst a Hearts player but  currently a Hearts player. Unlikely to happen again. Maybe something we should celebrate or at least acknowledge. The guy is/has been a very good footballer and a model professional. If only we had another five or six like him. 

11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not sure what you mean but to suggest he is a wage thief or topping up his pension, as some have done,  is just nonsense. He will be earning less with us than he was 10-12 years ago. The posts I’m referring to are just the latest  from people having a go at anything they  can remotely link to weakness in Levein and/or Budge. 

The reality re Hughes is that a Hearts player is about to become most-capped british player of all time. Yes not many of them earned whilst a Hearts player but  currently a Hearts player. Unlikely to happen again. Maybe something we should celebrate or at least acknowledge. The guy is/has been a very good footballer and a model professional. If only we had another five or six like him. 

No one doubting that the guy was a good player 10-15 years ago. He was. He is well past his best now and has offered absolutely nothing in the few games he has played for us.

I am sorry but I just don't share your enthusiasm for him being the most capped player. That would be all very well if he was regularly playing for us and performing well.

As soon as we get shot of him to free up his wage for a younger centre back who's first priority is playing for Hearts and not about his own personal international record the better.

Edited by Lambo85

Best wishes to Aaron Hughes and I hope he sets a new cap record. He has undoubtedly been a great player for his country. I also hope, however, that he never plays for Hearts again unless, during his long absence, he has acquired the requisite pace to play in Scottish football.

1 hour ago, WageThief said:

Don't we get a compensation payment because he's been called up?  Seems a bit weird to moan about his apparent wage thievery for being injured and getting called up if we are being compensated for a guy who'd be doing nothing anyway.

Clubs releasing players for the 2016 Euro Nations final got €100m and €50m across the quaifiers;

Not sure what happens for the World Cup.  Aiming to go to €200m for 2020

Quite lucrative last time having NI; RoI; Welsh players in your squad

Aberdeen FC                  € 412'639.75
Celtic FC                        € 449'280.73
Dundee FC                    € 12'364.7
 Dundee United FC         € 20'882.69
Hamilton Academical FC  € 199'051.3
Inverness Caledonian  FC € 132'018.62
Kilmarnock FC                  € 338'152.79
Motherwell FC                  € 38'358.71
Rangers FC                             € 8'353.08
Ross County                            € 30'429.06
Saint Johnstone FC             €107'490.26
Edited by DETTY29

5 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Clubs releasing players for the 2016 Euro Nations final got €100m and €50m across the quaifiers;

Not sure what happens for the World Cup.  Aiming to go to €200m for 2020

Quite lucrative last time having NI; RoI; Welsh players in your squad

Aberdeen FC                  € 412'639.75
Celtic FC                        € 449'280.73
Dundee FC                    € 12'364.7
 Dundee United FC         € 20'882.69
Hamilton Academical FC  € 199'051.3
Inverness Caledonian  FC € 132'018.62
Kilmarnock FC                  € 338'152.79
Motherwell FC                  € 38'358.71
Rangers FC                             € 8'353.08
Ross County                            € 30'429.06
Saint Johnstone FC             €107'490.26

If Hughes is on a pay-as-you-play/available deal, then he's actually making us money if he's out injured and called up!

57 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The guy is/has been a very good footballer and a model professional. If only we had another five or six like him. 

If the another five or six played for us as often as he does, I think I would pass. 

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
2 hours ago, Lambo85 said:

To answer your first question then yes, I think if he felt he needed to miss out on playing for us to give him a better chance to be fit for a NI match then he would absolutely avoid playing for us.

His first priority is not playing for Hearts, that much is clear. I find that unacceptable. In my opinion a players first allegiances should lye with his domestic club as they are the ones paying his wages. Call that an agenda if you want, it's just my opinion.

Giving Hughes a years exention was no more than a favour from his pal MacPhee. We should have freed up his wage to bring another younger and more committed centre back in. 

The sooner he breaks the record the better and we can get him punted.

You honestly think with our current injury crisis that Levein would leave Hughes sitting in the stand if he was fully fit so he could keep himself fit for a Northern Ireland match?

Delusional.

2 hours ago, Dayman said:

Hes been put in the squad for a game in ten or so days but hasn't played the last couple weeks because of Injury? Do people not realize that injuries heal over time and that a game in 10 days is further in the future than a game last week? Having to simple it down quite a lot here. He's possible to be fit for the game so he's been put in the squad. If fit he will play. What's the issue ? 

“A game in 10 days is further in the future than a game last week”

Thank you for simple it down. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

“A game in 10 days is further in the future than a game last week”

Thank you for simple it down. 

Like I said... Some people don't seem to understand basic time. I thought I'd simple it down to kickbacks mental age- 7.5

1 minute ago, Dayman said:

Like I said... Some people don't seem to understand basic time. I thought I'd simple it down to kickbacks mental age- 7.5

We all understand, but we also understand we are in a position when we need everyone digging in to get us out of this situation and there is a SUSPICION that Hughes is focussed more in being fit for NI than Hearts. 

Will he he make himself available for the Killie game to sharpen himself up, and show his international boss he is ready?

38 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We all understand, but we also understand we are in a position when we need everyone digging in to get us out of this situation and there is a SUSPICION that Hughes is focussed more in being fit for NI than Hearts. 

Will he he make himself available for the Killie game to sharpen himself up, and show his international boss he is ready?

We have a player who is so good he doesn't need to play or train to get called up but we complain instead