Early retirement

Brick Tamland

12 hours ago, kawasakijambo said:

I worked in Lothian House around 1980, the Philatelic Bureau.

I bet you put your stamp on that department ;)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

• Francis Albert

• Jamhammer

41 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You've got him licked there :65:

49 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Probably drank in the Penny Black at lunchtimes.

kawasakijambo
55 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Probably drank in the Penny Black at lunchtimes.

Not when I worked in Lothian Road, the Burnt post or Minskys was the choice of the day.

I did get moved later to Waterloo Place, then it was Penny Black breakfast and Guildford for lunch, happy days.

Edited by kawasakijambo

39 minutes ago, kawasakijambo said:

Not when I worked in Lothian Road, the Burnt post or Minskys was the choice of the day.

I did get moved later to Waterloo Place, then it was Penny Black breakfast and Guildford for lunch, happy days.

I was actually having a wee joke about stamps but it turns out I got it right (sort of!).

Burnt Post used to be a haunt of ours too though. 

Guildford occasionally too but usually the Cafe Royal.

6 hours ago, kawasakijambo said:

Every time I see The Burnt Post it reminds me of the night I was in there with me mate Ian who has a twin. I was getting drinks in and saw him talking to someone but couldn't see anyone else. Turned out he was talking to himself in the morrored bit and though he was his brother.

• 3 years later...

Just looked over this old thread as was searching pensions. Anyway especially the op, any regrets re retiring early? Anyone else change their views?

I retired at fifty six,  have had twenty nine years of it last month, one regret, I wish I had done it sooner. It allowed me to complete bucket lists, only stressors were bad golf games which I done daily for the first thirteen years in a small town with desert climate in BC. I was fortunate in taking my fathers advice and prodding from the age of about four to join the police, get good pensions and benefits. I was also fortunate that my wife accepted my proposal of marriage, as she gave me all the support in the world and made the necessary sacrifices for me to improve education and thus advance in my career. 

When talking to a medical person recently I commented in the hospital that if Esther and I walked out that door never to come back, we would not turn  around and say I wish we had, because we used our retirement particularly to do it all.

Edited by Sharpie

2 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Just looked over this old thread as was searching pensions. Anyway especially the op, any regrets re retiring early? Anyone else change their views?

None whatsoever !!   My company closed down a few years after I took an early retirement "opportunity", so it worked very well for me.   Garden, fishing, dogs, meeting up with friends for lunch/drinks now and again,  and a few UK holidays per year - pretty much what I'd hoped retirement would be like.      You have to stay reasonably active though, physically and mentally, or else you could spiral downhill way too early.

A work friend was made redundant a few years after I left - he felt totally lost not working and eventually succeeded in finding  another job in his late 50s. Purely for something to do, he didn't need the money.   Each to their own though.

Anyone who has retired on a good final salary pension with long service can consider themselves extremely fortunate  - hardly anyone under the age of 50  will have a full final salary pension by the time they retire, so it will be a financial struggle for many.  Increasingly so for folk in their 40s and 30s. 

Governments and financial institutions are culpable for causing severe financial hardships in the future for millions of folk.  

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

My boss tried to talk me out of taking a pension ("it's a con") he said. 

He probably just didn't want to contribute towards it. 

If I retire at 67 my pension will give me the princely sum of £70 a month. I don’t imagine that will buy much by then. 

14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

If I retire at 67 my pension will give me the princely sum of £70 a month. I don’t imagine that will buy much by then. 

You'll need to weigh up your options, mate. 

1. You buy your clothes from Home Bargains (wear Halloween outfits throughout the year)

2. Prison (roof over your head, free meals and no need for a TV License)