Pub Closures

Rab Mac52

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s correct. Went downhill after they left and we decamped to Tiles for a few years. 

Tiles was a good boozer.

Take it you worked near the Square Dave?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• Rab Mac52

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Morgan said:

The woman was Sheila something or other (maybe MacLennan?).

The guy was Robert Riley I think.

Mick Riley?his mother ran it for a while and I'm sure Mick took over.He ran many successful amateur teams when he lived in Elphinstone.downside he became spokesman for Hubs shareholders and supporters organisations

2 minutes ago, systemx said:

Mick Riley?his mother ran it for a while and I'm sure Mick took over.He ran many successful amateur teams when he lived in Elphinstone.downside he became spokesman for Hubs shareholders and supporters organisations

Only knew Robert but his dad was indeed called Mick.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Only knew Robert but his dad was indeed called Mick.

Might have asked in another thread but did you ever drink in the Highwayman?

23 minutes ago, systemx said:

Never.

Sorry!

Rupert Custard
On 11/10/2017 at 19:06, The Frenchman Returns said:

Growing up around Corstorphine we had a wide selection of watering holes, changed times.

Barnton - gone

Mid Yoken - still going?

Clermiston - still going

Rainbow - gone

Maybury (public bar) - gone

Swiss Cottage and other names - gone

Centurion - currently gone

Harp - now a carvery unsure if it has a bar as such

Crammond Inn - eatery

Oak - going on reports above improved

Winstons - still going 

Corstorphine inn - still going

Carrick knowe - still going

Dorlin - gone

Struan - gone

White wetherspoons Lady - NEW

Did I miss any?

The Gylemuir Inn down behind the police station.

Corstorphine was great for a wee crawl when I stayed there in the 90's. Gylemuir-Harp-Oak-Westbury-Winstons-Corstorphine Inn.

Shanks said no
6 minutes ago, Rupert Custard said:

The Gylemuir Inn down behind the police station.

Corstorphine was great for a wee crawl when I stayed there in the 90's. Gylemuir-Harp-Oak-Westbury-Winstons-Corstorphine Inn.

Swiss Cottage was another name for Gylemuir Inn

Rupert Custard
2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Ah, before my time. I was there 1990 onwards. Great for a Sunday afternoon lock-in before all day opening.

On 10/27/2017 at 16:46, The Frenchman Returns said:

had a few smokers / Hearts players testimonials in there 

Say What Again
2 hours ago, the general said:

had a few smokers / Hearts players testimonials in there 

I was at Neil Berry's Testimonial 'Stag Do' there.

Everybody was asked to chuck in an extra quid and the strippers would, erm, do something a bit more than remove their clothes.

Quite an eye opener for a young whipper snapper like myself at the time!

1 minute ago, Say What Again said:

I was at Neil Berry's Testimonial 'Stag Do' there.

Everybody was asked to chuck in an extra quid and the strippers would, erm, do something a bit more than remove their clothes.

Quite an eye opener for a young whipper snapper like myself at the time!

No danger you can leave it at that.

Spill!!

William H. Bonney
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No danger you can leave it at that.

Spill!!

They collected the glasses at the end of the night. 

On 24/10/2017 at 20:49, systemx said:

Occasionally there and the Travellers Tryst. Andy Bowman worked there as a barman at one point. 

While on the closures theme. (With a wee twist)

Can anyone remember the name of an old restaurant on Frederick St . near the top before George St, it was red outside and the entry was a single half glass door and a small window to the side?

My Mum is trying to remember a place she used to take the Grandchildren many moons ago.

cheers.

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Can anyone remember the name of an old restaurant on Frederick St . near the top before George St, it was red outside and the entry was a single half glass door and a small window to the side?

My Mum is trying to remember a place she used to take the Grandchildren many moons ago.

cheers.

Roughly when Debut?

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

cheers.

Left hand side or right heading uo towards George Street?

On 10/20/2017 at 12:58, Rab Mac52 said:

Dorlin was heaving on a Sunday night and of course early closing at 10.00pm. It was originally owned by a guy called Arthur Duncan (no, not the footballer) before being taken over around 1977. Didn't last too long after that. May also have had a change of name. 

That's right, wee Arthur was a very shrewd operator, just a nice number of bedrooms, restaurant, lounge bar and function suite, he made a small fortune there, he sold out to George Stewart, Gordon Strachan and another who I can't remember from the Chesser Inn. They changed the name and tried to change it into something it neither was or could be. They lost a few quid on the deal.

Just now, Debut 4 said:

Just found out in the last ten minutes bud.

Garfunkels.

:thumbsup:

OK.

Thanks for letting me know, we would have been thinking about this one all night!

:thumb:

28 minutes ago, Morgan said:

OK.

Thanks for letting me know, we would have been thinking about this one all night!

:thumb:

Haha.  We spent an hour losing the plot. :D

1 hour ago, john5698 said:

That's right, wee Arthur was a very shrewd operator, just a nice number of bedrooms, restaurant, lounge bar and function suite, he made a small fortune there, he sold out to George Stewart, Gordon Strachan and another who I can't remember from the Chesser Inn. They changed the name and tried to change it into something it neither was or could be. They lost a few quid on the deal.

Willie Allan? Think they called it yesterday's hotel not to be confused with yesterday's pub at fountainbridge.

32 minutes ago, graham said:

Willie Allan? Think they called it yesterday's hotel not to be confused with yesterday's pub at fountainbridge.

That's the name, Willie Allan, couldn't remember, yeah yesterdays, don't know if it still is but at one point it was turned into offices, think the gas board used to use it. it was a shame, was a great wee hotel, my old mum, an aunt and my granny all worked in there. 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Haha.  We spent an hour losing the plot. :D

My wife still is...

I won’t tell her the answer and she’s going mad!

She used to work in South Charlotte Street around then and is so flaming angry that she can’t remember the name of your mums place.

It’s great :)

58 minutes ago, john5698 said:

That's the name, Willie Allan, couldn't remember, yeah yesterdays, don't know if it still is but at one point it was turned into offices, think the gas board used to use it. it was a shame, was a great wee hotel, my old mum, an aunt and my granny all worked in there. 

I remember two of the bar staff, Doris and Sheulagh. Used to have table service at weekends.

12 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

I remember two of the bar staff, Doris and Sheulagh. Used to have table service at weekends.

They all worked in the kitchen and the dinning room for breakfasts and functions.The name Doris doesn't ring a bell but Sheila does. 

Diane’s pool hall / pub closed   it’s doors today .

the new owners are planning a massive refurb so will be closed for two months roughly . 

20 minutes ago, Meadows said:

the new owners are planning a massive refurb so will be closed for two months roughly . 

Oh ffs, I used to live in West maitland st, I loved that place

Say What Again
1 hour ago, Meadows said:

Two months? 

They coulda lobbed in a hand grenade before they closed the doors and improved it instantly :lol:

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Oh ffs, I used to live in West maitland st, I loved that place

My first ever venture into Diane’s, which I posted on here, was in January this year. We were going to Vietnam House on Grove Street for a meal.

I/we picked a very bad night for it. The vermin were taking their holy grail thingy all over town and that particular night they were going to McKirdys steak place on Morrison Street.

We had a couple of pints in Thomsons then thought we would have a beer in Diane’s. Couldn’t believe when we walked in and there were scores of guys in Hibs tops/scarves etc.

Cheapest pint I’ve had in Edinburgh for years but also the quickest as we were getting ‘the looks’ from some of the clientele.

Really? That was quick. Drank in there on a Friday night until it closed.Been drinking in The Torfin since then so will probably stay there.

Edited by Corstojohn

Morgan I was surprised when the cup was shown off by His in McKirdy's as allegedly one of the family was done for invading the pitch at the infamous final.

2 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Morgan I was surprised when the cup was shown off by His in McKirdy's as allegedly one of the family was done for invading the pitch at the infamous final.

Interesting Stuart, didn’t know that.

2 hours ago, the general said:

anyone else drink in the Maitland Hotel ?

Shandwick Place?

If so, I did a few times purely for the draught Carlsberg.

Someone was telling me The Phoenix on Broughton Street has closed.  Wasn't a regular, but always thought it was decent whenever I was in and reasonably priced for the area.  Shame to see another pub go. 

6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Shandwick Place?

If so, I did a few times purely for the draught Carlsberg.

Electric soup .. Carlsberg deluxe

10 minutes ago, the general said:

That’s it!!

Had some kick to it.

14 minutes ago, the general said:

or Jungle juice

Jungle juice is what I remember it being known as.

Wonder what it’s ABV was?

3 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Someone was telling me The Phoenix on Broughton Street has closed.  Wasn't a regular, but always thought it was decent whenever I was in and reasonably priced for the area.  Shame to see another pub go. 

Pretty sure it’s still open. Was in for the last Scotland game. Not heard of it closing

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, the general said:

I remember it well.

it was 4/6 a pint which I thought was quite expensive.

Today price would be about £3:75 which is pretty good.

• 3 years later...

Not in Edinburgh, but the Allan Ramsay in Carlops is closing or has closed. Used to be a good watering hole after a walk in the Pentlands, as was the Habbie’s Howe. 

15 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Not in Edinburgh, but the Allan Ramsay in Carlops is closing or has closed. Used to be a good watering hole after a walk in the Pentlands, as was the Habbie’s Howe. 

Shame, attended many a party there, in their function hall ( now gone ) in the 70s and 80s.