Pub Closures

Rab Mac52

The Rabbie Burns bar at the top of Cannongate/bottom of the Royal Mile has closed to make way for yet another Scotland Taccy shop. 

Loved that wee bar. Great memories. Hi 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• Rab Mac52

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Ribble said:

Maybe not black coffee but if you go to Starbucks and get any large size (20oz) coffee then it will contain more calories than a pint of lager and that's before any sugar is added!

For example a large salted caramel moccha is 480 calories compared to 180 calories in a pint of lager so yes coffee can be fattening!

Indeed. Some people use bars for the odd pint or short or two. Some used them to get rat arsed and feed an addiction (although as others have said there are much cheaper ways to achieve the latter).

Some use coffee shops to have a black coffee or two with no sugar. Others stuff themselves with high calorie coffee based drinks  plus sticky buns and cakes. Not to mention the growing number of  dessert outlets feeding on the Bake Off phenomenon.

Obesity is a bigger health issue in the world today than alcohol and it, unlike alcohol consumption, is growing fast, to epidemic proportions in the wealthier parts of the world.

Bars, even as their individuality steadily declines, are one of the glories of Edinburgh. Long may that continue.

On 11/10/2017 at 00:22, Regal Kingston said:

The working mans boozer is disappearing. It's sad but not unexpected. People just aren't drinking as much anymore. I remember when I first started working the lunchtime pint was obligatory. Nobody does that now. 

Sad to see people making Whetherspoons their local but you can see why. 

The Foot of the Walk sell Tennents for £2.55 a jar. Hard for independent pubs to compete with that. 

People don't have that loyalty anymore. If you drink 20 pints a week you'd save £20+ going to Wetherspoons. 

That's quite a saving.....  Have used the lothian road, wetherspoons. Its ok..

On 11/10/2017 at 09:30, the general said:

must be doing well I heard they bought Diannes

Well that's Dianne's going upmarket.....     :)

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:06, The Frenchman Returns said:

Growing up around Corstorphine we had a wide selection of watering holes, changed times.

Barnton - gone

Mid Yoken - still going?

Clermiston - still going

Rainbow - gone

Maybury (public bar) - gone

Swiss Cottage and other names - gone

Centurion - currently gone

Harp - now a carvery unsure if it has a bar as such

Crammond Inn - eatery

Oak - going on reports above improved

Winstons - still going 

Corstorphine inn - still going

Carrick knowe - still going

Dorlin - gone

Struan - gone

White wetherspoons Lady - NEW

Did I miss any?

Remember all of them apart from Dorlin & Struan - take it these were hotels ?

On 11/10/2017 at 19:06, The Frenchman Returns said:

Growing up around Corstorphine we had a wide selection of watering holes, changed times.

Barnton - gone

Mid Yoken - still going?

Clermiston - still going

Rainbow - gone

Maybury (public bar) - gone

Swiss Cottage and other names - gone

Centurion - currently gone

Harp - now a carvery unsure if it has a bar as such

Crammond Inn - eatery

Oak - going on reports above improved

Winstons - still going 

Corstorphine inn - still going

Carrick knowe - still going

Dorlin - gone

Struan - gone

White wetherspoons Lady - NEW

Did I miss any?

Fox Covert 

Would class Winston's as new even when it was the Gold Sovereign - was a laundrette. 

Say What Again
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm still mourning the closing of the Four in Hand :sob:

Kano rebranding it as the IV was a thing of beauty. 

Upset so many Hibs regulars that hed basically renamed their boozer the 1-5, he had to change it back after just a few months. 

Glorious. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
8 hours ago, Say What Again said:

Kano rebranding it as the IV was a thing of beauty. 

Upset so many Hibs regulars that hed basically renamed their boozer the 1-5, he had to change it back after just a few months. 

Glorious. 

I thought he meant the old chesters in Bonnyrigg. 

On 12/10/2017 at 16:01, Meadows said:

The Family from the dodger are NOT buying Diane’s ( unsuccessful bid) . It is being bought by Malones , a Glasgow pub co who used have a pub in Forrest Road a while ago . 

They’re the ones that were allowed that eye sore at Waverley. Assuming it’s going to change to Malones then?

The Treasurer
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:16, Arnold Rothstein said:

The Torfin is a massive improvement on The Oak.

Definitely, although they need to sort out staffing levels.

There was one guy serving when we were there, while some lass, who I assumed was the manageress, floated around doing feck all

Shanks said no
14 hours ago, Biko said:

Fox Covert 

Would class Winston's as new even when it was the Gold Sovereign - was a laundrette. 

Probably should have included the Royal Scot and Posthouse hotels as well.

someone asked about the Struan, it was a public bar and small hotel, now Jade Chinese opposite the zoo and Dorlin was similar, some of the building remains at the edge of Corstorphine just before the shops and is now offices, maybe gas/centrica?

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

They’re the ones that were allowed that eye sore at Waverley. Assuming it’s going to change to Malones then?

I saw the Waverley thing when I was last up. Is that a permanent structure? And it got planning consent in one of the most sensitive sites in the city? While we are restricted on the size of signage in McLeod  Street? Incredible.

The Treasurer
6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I saw the Waverley thing when I was last up. Is that a permanent structure? And it got planning consent in one of the most sensitive sites in the city? While we are restricted on the size of signage in McLeod  Street? Incredible.

Wetherspoons do seem to get an easy ride when it comes to planning permission.

You just need to look at what they were allowed to do with one of the best live venues in the city (Picture House) as evidence

31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yeah. Sadly. I thought it was just a pop up for the 6 nations last year, but it’s still there. Tacky as feck.

40 minutes ago, ManMoth said:

Then let's get opening coffeeshops!

Funnily enough, pretty sure at the recent SNP conference there was a call for the ability to legalise/decriminalise drugs to be devolved, given it (may) fall under the auspices of health, which is devolved.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/scotland-decriminalise-drugs_uk_59db725de4b0f6eed3519204

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Wetherspoons do seem to get an easy ride when it comes to planning permission.

You just need to look at what they were allowed to do with one of the best live venues in the city (Picture House) as evidence

Agree completely.  Why did the council allow them to have a triangle of three super-pubs in and around George Street?

Passed that the other week after leaving the Usher Hall for a Placebo gig and looked like there had been some bother, surprise, surprise.

22 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Was the Dorlin Hotel not owned by Gordon Strachan and George Stewart?

I believe that to be that case Stuart. Didn't last long if memory serves

Montgomery Brewster
3 hours ago, Koolkeith said:

Yeah. Sadly. I thought it was just a pop up for the 6 nations last year, but it’s still there. Tacky as feck.

It's all gone now. Been away a few weeks now

2 hours ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

It's all gone now. Been away a few weeks now

Good news. Assume that’s partly to do with them buying Dianes 

Montgomery Brewster
17 minutes ago, Koolkeith said:

Good news. Assume that’s partly to do with them buying Dianes 

No sure . The gin pop up bar along towards the NB also demolished as well.

Say What Again
14 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I thought he meant the old chesters in Bonnyrigg. 

Ahh my bad. 

Teach me to post while half pished. I work in Leith and would have bet the Four in Hand (I-V) wasn’t shut :lol:

Say What Again
10 hours ago, frankblack said:

Agree completely.  Why did the council allow them to have a triangle of three super-pubs in and around George Street?.

Im no Wetherspoons fan but ‘super-pubs’? I’ve never been in the picture house but standing order and Alexander GB are soulless drinking dens - slap bang in the middle of reality tv wannabe land. 

How can they have 3 pubs? Kevin Doyle and Caledonian Heritable nearly own every other pub in that street - and all the surrounding streets. From spit and sawdust local boozers to the Dome and Archerfield.  Decent employer too. 

But booo big bad Wetherspoons?

Edited by Say What Again

What was the sports bar owned by George Stewart at the foot of Chesser called as looks like it's being converted into a house. Still can't believe Crofters is now a Chinese and my old local the Grapes which was the last pub left in East Calder has also closed

Doctor FinnBarr
10 minutes ago, jimbojambo said:

What was the sports bar owned by George Stewart at the foot of Chesser called as looks like it's being converted into a house. Still can't believe Crofters is now a Chinese and my old local the Grapes which was the last pub left in East Calder has also closed

So East Calder has went from the Grapes, Grove and Boolin club to just the Boolin club?

1 hour ago, Say What Again said:

Im no Wetherspoons fan but ‘super-pubs’? I’ve never been in the picture house but standing order and Alexander GB are soulless drinking dens - slap bang in the middle of reality tv wannabe land. 

Super pub refers to size not quality.

1 hour ago, Say What Again said:

How can they have 3 pubs? Kevin Doyle and Caledonian Heritable nearly own every other pub in that street - and all the surrounding streets. From spit and sawdust local boozers to the Dome and Archerfield.  Decent employer too. 

But booo big bad Wetherspoons?

Leaving aside the massive loss to Edinburgh's music scene that we have seen since The Picture House closed (all the Gigs go to Glasgow that would go there) we now have a super pub on Lothian Road.  That is bound to end well given the trouble you see there regularly at a weekend.  With a bit of luck this might force it back to a music venue.

At least the other pubs you mention differ in theme and appear independent.

Clerks bar  is another boozer to bite the dust. Once less pub on the Southside to get replaced by an eatery. Mexican street food place

Montgomery Brewster
19 hours ago, frankblack said:

Agree completely.  Why did the council allow them to have a triangle of three super-pubs in and around George Street?

Passed that the other week after leaving the Usher Hall for a Placebo gig and looked like there had been some bother, surprise, surprise.

Wotherspoons are flogging the Alexander Graeme bell in george st 

Montgomery Brewster
8 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Clerks bar  is another boozer to bite the dust. Once less pub on the Southside to get replaced by an eatery. Mexican street food place

As a southsider never been in it. So no loss to me.

Plenty proper southside pubs , Leslie's , swanys , the bell , Jamie's , minders , the falcon , junction still there though . Lovely. 

9 hours ago, bikerjambo said:

So East Calder has went from the Grapes, Grove and Boolin club to just the Boolin club?

still got the doo club but with hundreds of new houses having been built there is not a pub to be had

Not been in the Torfin, but bound to be a massive improvement.

Imo, places like The Terrace & The White Lady have improved the Corstorphine pubs, mainly due to the fact that they both actually have people enter these establishments. Both are regularly busy, which couldn’t be said about the Carrick Knowe Inn. A couple of decent restaurants and people may actually visit the area from elsewhere in Edinburgh.

33 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Wotherspoons are flogging the Alexander Graeme bell in george st 

I had heard they decided to keep it but perhaps that has changed.

5 minutes ago, Do The Dance said:

Not been in the Torfin, but bound to be a massive improvement.

Imo, places like The Terrace & The White Lady have improved the Corstorphine pubs, mainly due to the fact that they both actually have people enter these establishments. Both are regularly busy, which couldn’t be said about the Carrick Knowe Inn. A couple of decent restaurants and people may actually visit the area from elsewhere in Edinburgh.

That is true - The Oak and The Agenda both had their fair share of bother, as did The Rainbow before it shut.

If people feel safe going to pubs they will get the business.  The empty pubs are often the ones with a reputation for trouble.

I go out to pubs to have a social drink with friends and chill out, and won't touch those who can't/won't control their problem customers.  Technically the Midyoken is my local, but I've been in the place once in 14 years.

8 hours ago, Alan_R said:

the big pub that was previously a Chinese?

10 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

The Chesser Inn ?

John Gentleman
On 13/10/2017 at 00:51, Boris said:

The Swedish system would make pubs busier, given the off licence shuts at 7pm (or thereabouts).

Sweden's contemporary 'Gothenburg System'?

9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Super pub refers to size not quality.

Leaving aside the massive loss to Edinburgh's music scene that we have seen since The Picture House closed (all the Gigs go to Glasgow that would go there) we now have a super pub on Lothian Road.  That is bound to end well given the trouble you see there regularly at a weekend.  With a bit of luck this might force it back to a music venue.

At least the other pubs you mention differ in theme and appear independent.

To be fair, Lothian Road's pretty quiet these days. Back in the 90s it was a war zone at nights!

Say What Again
1 hour ago, hydeparkhearts said:

Is it true the White Hart is soon to be an Oyster bar serving cocktails?

Not the White Hart, the White Horse on the Canongate. 

21 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Was the Dorlin Hotel not owned by Gordon Strachan and George Stewart?

one of our Sunday haunts back in the day when pubs did not open

nice function suite iirc