Pub Closures

Rab Mac52

Two more traditional pubs gone in Corstorphine in recent months. Centurion has the shutters up. The Oak has closed and reopened as the Torfin - a gastro pub similar to so many.  The Terrace, formerly the Carrick Knowe, has sent a flyer round saying "We Are Not Closed", possibly more to do with the disruption caused by roadworks. 

Very few traditional pubs for us old geezers. Only one in the West End area is Mathers. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• the general

• Stuart Lyon

• Rab Mac52

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Two more traditional pubs gone in Corstorphine in recent months. Centurion has the shutters up. The Oak has closed and reopened as the Torfin - a gastro pub similar to so many.  The Terrace, formerly the Carrick Knowe, has sent a flyer round saying "We Are Not Closed", possibly more to do with the disruption caused by roadworks. 

Very few traditional pubs for us old geezers. Only one in the West End area is Mathers. 

You've still got Winstons and the front bar of the Corrie. This was always going to happen though when Wetherspoons moved in to the area. 

Never have liked Winstons. Possibly goes back to pre smoking ban and the fact it had low ceilings. Was in the Corrie for the Scotland game. It was mobbed but fine. Torfin is a big improvement on the Oak. Maybe I was being a bit too negative. 

Shanks said no

Anyone got any info on the Centurion closing? Did hear that they had spent £70k on the recent refurbishment and attracted no new trade and have chosen liquidation. 

Regal Kingston

The working mans boozer is disappearing. It's sad but not unexpected. People just aren't drinking as much anymore. I remember when I first started working the lunchtime pint was obligatory. Nobody does that now. 

Sad to see people making Whetherspoons their local but you can see why. 

The Foot of the Walk sell Tennents for £2.55 a jar. Hard for independent pubs to compete with that. 

People don't have that loyalty anymore. If you drink 20 pints a week you'd save £20+ going to Wetherspoons. 

Say What Again
20 minutes ago, Regal Kingston said:

The working mans boozer is disappearing. It's sad but not unexpected. People just aren't drinking as much anymore. I remember when I first started working the lunchtime pint was obligatory. Nobody does that now. 

The Foot of the Walk sell Tennents for £2.55 a jar. Hard for independent pubs to compete with that. 

People don't have that loyalty anymore. If you drink 20 pints a week you'd save £20+ going to Wetherspoons. 

FotW is only £1.99 for Magners or £2.20 for Strongbow. 

In the 4 pubs nearest me (just before you hit Portobello) that's between £3.40 and £4.30. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Regal Kingston said:

A pint of deuchars in dalkeith Witherspoon's is £1.99. A real ale is £2.15. Shite pub but great prices.

5 hours ago, Regal Kingston said:

There was a time when drinking 20 pints a week woulda seemed perfectly reasonable to me. But these days, you're probably lucky if I've had 20 pints this year never mind this week.

Times are changing - and these days theres a bigger market for fancy coffee's and such like than there is for alcohol.

Looking at the bigger picture, its probably no bad thing, but its still pretty sad to see the pub trade going the way it is - I cant really criticise though as I'm part of that problem.

Overheard someone in Thomson's the other night saying the Etterick Hotel is closing! Everything being sold off. Anyone know if this is true.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

William H. Bonney
10 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Saw something mentioned about The Etterick closing mentioned on here last week. 

Yep. Real shame. Been my pre match local for years. 

26 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Overheard someone in Thomson's the other night saying the Etterick Hotel is closing! Everything being sold off. Anyone know if this is true.

Heard that also, don't go in there much nowadays but the Kilted Pug is now the only pub in that area and the prices reflect that. Gillsland, Orwell lodge, Centre Court and now The Etrrick :(

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

It was in the Evening News a few weeks ago.

zoltan socrates

Good news, far too many of these drinking galleries in edinburgh as it is, how many of edinburghs buildings need to be dedicated to this shameful drug use, its been clearly proven over time that our society cannot be responsible with drink, my mother will be cremated today because of drink

the more shut downs the better, scummy activity that ruins lives

now get the ****ing coffee shops opened

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

I knew it had planning permission ............ for flats

14 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

The Dodger will be heaving soon. Seems to be the only one that avoids the axe in the West of the toon...:lol:

must be doing well I heard they bought Diannes

8 hours ago, zoltan socrates said:

Good news, far too many of these drinking galleries in edinburgh as it is, how many of edinburghs buildings need to be dedicated to this shameful drug use, its been clearly proven over time that our society cannot be responsible with drink, my mother will be cremated today because of drink

You must be fun at parties.

8 hours ago, the general said:

must be doing well I heard they bought Diannes

Have they? Not heard that.

wonder if that means an insurance job on the Dodger? :look:

Shanks said no

Growing up around Corstorphine we had a wide selection of watering holes, changed times.

Barnton - gone

Mid Yoken - still going?

Clermiston - still going

Rainbow - gone

Maybury (public bar) - gone

Swiss Cottage and other names - gone

Centurion - currently gone

Harp - now a carvery unsure if it has a bar as such

Crammond Inn - eatery

Oak - going on reports above improved

Winstons - still going 

Corstorphine inn - still going

Carrick knowe - still going

Dorlin - gone

Struan - gone

White wetherspoons Lady - NEW

Did I miss any?

22 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Growing up around Corstorphine we had a wide selection of watering holes, changed times.

Barnton - gone

Mid Yoken - still going?

Clermiston - still going

Rainbow - gone

Crammond Inn - eatery

Winstons - still going 

Dorlin - gone

Struan - gone

Did I miss any?

What was the name of the pub just down from the Barnton at the row of shops before the Golf Course opposite the Bank of Scotland

57 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Barnton - gone

Mid Yoken - still going?

Clermiston - still going

Rainbow - gone

Crammond Inn - eatery

Winstons - still going 

Dorlin - gone

Struan - gone

Did I miss any?

Well remembered for all of these. Did the White Lady not start out as Westbury's and then became the Alphabet and finally The Agenda before Wetherspoons took it over? It was originally a house and then Dingwall's Furniture shop and finally The Village - almost like market stalls before Westbury's.

Shanks said no

I remembered it's Dingwalls and some awful multi occupancy thing my mum and gran dragged me round, think Westbury was after my misspent youth.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

zoltan socrates
3 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

You must be fun at parties.

Aye coz pished folk are such fun, fine if you live in a tiny box universe, 2 weeks in benidorm and a ruby every 2nd friday aye? Cannae miss eastenders though eh

bog standard, the pinnacle

/s

Was out and about in TollX last Friday. Burlington Berties has been shut for 6 weeks. The Auld Toll is now some horrid wine bar.

Ended up in the Lochrin (Kings Arms?),  it was Great! Proper Pub.

3 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I remembered it's Dingwalls and some awful multi occupancy thing my mum and gran dragged me round, think Westbury was after my misspent youth.

I well remember my son returning from Westbury's after a night having found Aftershock. He was possibly under the legal age for the consumption of alcohol in licensed premises and was carried by some friends who were slightly less inebriated but still pie eyed.  He managed to throw up in just about every room in the house except the loo.  Mrs Rab refused to clean it up referring to the fact that his father had introduced him to booze.  

Following day, a most contrite and hungover young Rab, presented his proud father with a box of Quality Street. Took me three days to realise that they were half price in the local shop. 

4 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Well remembered for all of these. Did the White Lady not start out as Westbury's and then became the Alphabet and finally The Agenda before Wetherspoons took it over? It was originally a house and then Dingwall's Furniture shop and finally The Village - almost like market stalls before Westbury's.

The White Lady is an improvement.  The Agenda had a fair bit of bother from what I remember.

Davidsons Mains is an area which has gone downhill in the past 10 years in terms of pubs.  The Norhet is now the best of them.

6 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

I well remember my son returning from Westbury's after a night having found Aftershock. He was possibly under the legal age for the consumption of alcohol in licensed premises and was carried by some friends who were slightly less inebriated but still pie eyed.  He managed to throw up in just about every room in the house except the loo.  Mrs Rab refused to clean it up referring to the fact that his father had introduced him to booze.  

Following day, a most contrite and hungover young Rab, presented his proud father with a box of Quality Street. Took me three days to realise that they were half price in the local shop. 

Westbury's defo had a bit of a reputation for the underagers around that time.

Woulda been around 97/98 I spent a bit of time in there :)

Ironically, I had a similar after shock experience around the same time, having drank a full bottle of the stuff at a house party........ that was not pleasant!

14 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

What was the name of the pub just down from the Barnton at the row of shops before the Golf Course opposite the Bank of Scotland

Fountain, you went upstairs to it, was in there with a lovely looking lass then boasted about the 7 odd pints that i downed in 

there as we walked up the road, not suprisingly she never went out with me again.

At 18 you live and learn.

58 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Fountain, you went upstairs to it, was in there with a lovely looking lass then boasted about the 7 odd pints that i downed in 

there as we walked up the road, not suprisingly she never went out with me again.

At 18 you live and learn.

I worked there 78-79. Great days. 

Francis Albert
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:11, zoltan socrates said:

Yes let's fuel the obesity crisis by opening more coffee and cake places.

zoltan socrates
22 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Riiiiight then

:vrface::facepalm:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
58 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Coffee isn't fattening.

36 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Coffee isn't fattening.

Sticky Buns are :)

Dont get the guy who stated that pub. closures are good because of alcoholism. If you've got a drink problem I'd assume that buying dirt cheap booze from supermarket would be your first point of call?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
6 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Sticky Buns are :)

Dont get the guy who stated that pub. closures are good because of alcoholism. If you've got a drink problem I'd assume that buying dirt cheap booze from supermarket would be your first point of call?

But coffee isn't. Seems a bit obtuse mentioning it. 

To be fair, I've just Sat down for tapas and got an unbelievably brilliant red wine. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

49 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Coffee isn't fattening.

Maybe not black coffee but if you go to Starbucks and get any large size (20oz) coffee then it will contain more calories than a pint of lager and that's before any sugar is added!

For example a large salted caramel moccha is 480 calories compared to 180 calories in a pint of lager so yes coffee can be fattening!

On 11/10/2017 at 09:11, zoltan socrates said:

I'm not sure that pubs are the problem.  It's the fact that you can go into any off licence in the country, and walk out with 3 litres of cider for under a fiver that's the issue, or bottles of horrible things like Buckfast being swilled around like water.  Cheap, poor quality, but high strength products are the problem.

Pubs are part of society, but we really need to start treating alcohol with a bit more respect, and prices should reflect that.  It would be shit, but if a pack of 4 cans of beer out of the supermarket were, say, £8 instead of £4, I know that I would drink a lot less than I do right now.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Maybe not black coffee but if you go to Starbucks and get any large size (20oz) coffee then it will contain more calories than a pint of lager and that's before any sugar is added!

For example a large salted caramel moccha is 480 calories compared to 180 calories in a pint of lager so yes coffee can be fattening!

Personally, I take mine black and I'm not into pastries/cakes. Coffee isn't the problem. It's fat *******s don't understand a healthy diet and people who don't know when to stop drinking. 

That's part of the problem Strachan's genetics statement, I think it's down to diet. People in this country think eating 5 fruit and veg a day is difficult. It's isn't, it's easy. Just lay off the pies and cakes and drink responsibly. 

20 minutes ago, tian447 said:

I'm not sure that pubs are the problem.  It's the fact that you can go into any off licence in the country, and walk out with 3 litres of cider for under a fiver that's the issue, or bottles of horrible things like Buckfast being swilled around like water.  Cheap, poor quality, but high strength products are the problem.

Pubs are part of society, but we really need to start treating alcohol with a bit more respect, and prices should reflect that.  It would be shit, but if a pack of 4 cans of beer out of the supermarket were, say, £8 instead of £4, I know that I would drink a lot less than I do right now.

I'd regulate who gets a licence, maybe even go the whole hog and be like Sweden.

1 hour ago, Boris said:

I'd regulate who gets a licence, maybe even go the whole hog and be like Sweden.

Educate don't legislate. Pubs = Jobs

21 minutes ago, hydeparkhearts said:

Educate don't legislate. Pubs = Jobs

The Swedish system would make pubs busier, given the off licence shuts at 7pm (or thereabouts).

On 11/10/2017 at 09:28, the general said:

The Family from the dodger are NOT buying Diane’s ( unsuccessful bid) . It is being bought by Malones , a Glasgow pub co who used have a pub in Forrest Road a while ago .