Catalonia referendum

Rab87

If it's a minority why is the Spanish government getting their knickers in a twist about it?

Because it's unconstitutional.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. The vote was in 78. But that written, legally binding constitution - which underpins the governance of Spain and it's constituent nations - bans secessionist votes.

In order to hold a vote like that held in Scotland Spain would need to amend it's constitution. Which would have repercussions across Spain.

Why? Spanish history shows the reasons - a fear of chaos and a break down of the rule of law. Which occurred at the end of the first republic, the end of monarchy in the 1920s and the rise of Franco. The political and legal classes fear disorder.

To Madrid, from what I've read, they view this as a threat to the rule of law.

I think there are other ways for Catalonia to deal with this- ex-Spanish ministers and Catalan officials have said that there could have been a convention or consultation.

It'll be interesting tomorrow - neither the Catalan or Spanish governments are doing the right things to me.

What would you prefer them to be doing?

I think the vote is only the start. Elections to get rid of the nationalist majority in the parliament and then a proper re-establishment of links and warm feeling between some Catalans and the rest of Spain is necessary. Starting with standardising education across Spain. Not all the local history based on grievances.

I don't believe Catalonia has a case to become an Independent Country as Catalonia has never been at any point in time a Country.

I believe they have the right to vote if they want.

I don't believe however that Spain has to respect the outcome of that vote, but they certainly shouldn't be acting like a bunch autocratic fascists either.

I don't believe Catalonia has a case to become an Independent Country as Catalonia has never been at any point in time a Country.

I believe they have the right to vote if they want.

I don't believe however that Spain has to respect the outcome of that vote, but they certainly shouldn't be acting like a bunch autocratic fascists either.

They've closed schools and confiscated ballots. It's not exactly shooting at dawn.

They've closed schools and confiscated ballots. It's not exactly shooting at dawn.

I think any attempt to stop a vote by forcing the closure or confiscating ballots could be described as Autocratic.

Surely just letting them have their vote and then ignoring the outcome would be better, No?

Its never been a country so I don't understand this.

Is this like Midlothian trying to have a vote to be independent of Scotland? :lol:

Its never been a country so I don't understand this.

Is this like Midlothian trying to have a vote to be independent of Scotland? :lol:

I was brought up to believe in Israel being a homeland by my mother's elderly relations...way back. My family being Irish backed Palestine sharing the Holyland......

If these two biblical people are to sit down together....then give the Catalans a devolved parliament........

It worked for Ulster, Wales and Scotland..

I was brought up to believe in Israel being a homeland by my mother's elderly relations...way back. My family being Irish backed Palestine sharing the Holyland......

If these two biblical people are to sit down together....then give the Catalans a devolved parliament........

It worked for Ulster, Wales and Scotland..

The Catalans do have a devolved Parliament and a devolved government already.

What would you prefer them to be doing?

I think the vote is only the start. Elections to get rid of the nationalist majority in the parliament and then a proper re-establishment of links and warm feeling between some Catalans and the rest of Spain is necessary. Starting with standardising education across Spain. Not all the local history based on grievances.

What would I have them do?

Spain's government should have entered into dialogue. Or at least tried it. Rajoy should have travelled to Barcelona and offered talks on reform of the relationship. If Catalan leaders rejected these Rajoy looks consensual and open and they do not.

Spain's government should perhaps also have sought an interdict from the constitutional court against a vote to provide greater justification of it's subsequent actions - or a vote in Parliament.

Catalonia? The Generelitat should've tried talks too. Shouldn't have rigged each parliamentary vote on the road to this and should've tried seeking a consensus to hold a vote - or seek permission to - before unilateral constitutional sabotage. The SNP model if you like. Otherwise the reactions being born from their current course would not be happening.

As for the future?

No one will recognise a pro-seccession vote. But Spain's actions aren't great either. I doubt Berlin would act this way to Bavaria or Denmark with Faroe. Afterall, the German Basic Law and their constitutional court have stated secession from Germany is illegal.

But conciliation is needed.

Frankly - this fracturing of nation states and of the EU is concerning as it weakens the institutions of the West. But if people begin to chose to reject them the institutions of these things become irrelevant and their authority sapped. So it's a tricky balancing act. With the time I think nationalist movements will slowly fall out of favour - Brexit may be the shift here as that unravels. But the future is co-operation and shared sovereignty across borders. That should be strengthened not weakened.

michael_bolton

Whether or not you support Catalan independence (I don't care either way), the Spanish government's actions here are a disgrace. You cannot justify such a heavy-handed response to people trying to hold a vote.

You have to wonder who is advising Madrid on this one. They're losing the PR war and making terrible mistakes.

AlphonseCapone

The Spanish state, as we know it, won't outlive me. I'll toast to the day it falls.

The Mighty Thor

Brutal scenes.

It's amazing how governments think the will for self determination will just disappear.

Embarrassing for the Spanish government and a bloody shame for the Catalan people.

Ibrahim Tall

If the referendum is 'illegal' then ignore it, don't even bother to vote no or give it any air time or recognition. What they've done by completely overreacting and using force is partly justify the 'oppression' myth and likely increased further the support for that independence.

John mcCartney

disgusting generalisation of whats going on over there

shocking footage of those government sponsored cavemen on the grauniads site........

Just been watching some of the videos on social media and its ****ing frightening. How that is allowed to go on in a civilised country in 2017 is shocking.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Just seen a video of police using batons against people who are standing in front of them with their hands up, showing absolutely no signs of violence or any sort of aggressive behaviour.

What the actual ****? How is that helping anything or anyone.

Shambles.

Disgusting, no need for that whatsoever

Exactly the one I was on about.

That's how riots happen.

luckyBatistuta

Exactly the one I was on about.

That's how riots happen.

Brutal watching that, not one of them that I could see done anything. Guy just waded straight into the old boy, then they all thought they'd have some, sickening.

Brutal watching that, not one of them that I could see done anything. Guy just waded straight into the old boy, then they all thought they'd have some, sickening.

They all had their hands up.  They were obviously well aware that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What gives the Police the right to straight up assault people with weapons, especially when they are doing nothing wrong?

Imagine you were a tourist caught up in that?

Faces covered. No rank or serial number displayed.

No accountability for the individual(s) involved.

They don?t **** about on the continent do they.

There does seem to be numbers on the back of their gear.

Not that that helps obviously.

Disgusting behaviour.

Just watched live video of the Spanish Vice President speaking about the incidents today.  I am decent in Spanish so I picked up that she said the police acted with legality, professionalism, and in a proportional manner.

Seriously.

luckyBatistuta

Just watched live video of the Spanish Vice President speaking about the incidents today.  I am decent in Spanish so I picked up that she said the police acted with legality, professionalism, and in a proportional manner.

Seriously.

What a crock of shit

Assaulting pensioners, women and children

Seriously.

A member of the Knesset who is observing the elections has claimed that she saw police using rubber bullets against unarmed protesters.

Yeah, we've been watching the Catalan TV coverage here via the internet.  Saw guys being interviewed with huge bruises from the rubber bullet impacts.  Someone has apparently lost an eye.

That woman had some pretty Orwellian redefinitions for the words "derechos" (rights) and "democrac?a" as well.

Unknown user

Good lads, well played. The police here are acting like government troops, someone needs to look out for the safety of the people.

People have the right to their say and the right to protest. It's awful that it's come to this but well done to the firemen.

luckyBatistuta

Good lads, well played. The police here are acting like government troops, someone needs to look out for the safety of the people.

People have the right to their say and the right to protest. It's awful that it's come to this but well done to the firemen.

If I lived there and was against breaking away, this would be pushing me the other way seeing this brutality in front of my eyes

It's a daft move by the Spanish government.  All it's doing is feeding into a sense of grievance or victimhood, which will only benefit the separatists.  It won't play well in a lot of Spain, where there are plenty of places with memories of oppression by the right.  

Not clever at all.

Just what the Spanish government is doing is anyone's guess.

Their actions are creating a situation and fanning the flames of separatism never mind lowering Spain's worldwide image.

It was a vote with no power and had they let it go ahead it would simply have been a news story of limited interest but now it becomes a story to be read throughout the world and the playing behind closed doors of Barcelona's match today will simply increase the size of the story.

There will be a hardening of views and even those opposed will be unhappy at much of what is taking place.

Can you imagine what would have happened in Scotland if the UK government had taken such actions ?

Fire fighters getting a doing now

Take a look at @estelada's Tweet: https://twitter.com/estelada/status/914484418110205952?s=09

Those videos make for uncomfortable viewing. How any human placed in a position to protect citizens can hit a pensioner in the face with a stick and drag another across concrete is beyond me. At least the fireman are trying to help like an emergency service should be doing.

What a crock of shit

Assaulting pensioners, women and children

Disgusting behaviour. Unacceptable.

Those videos are absolutely disgraceful.

Police brutality and cowardice.

Helmets on, body protection and batons beating crap out of people of all ages for trying to have a voice.

N Lincs Jambo

They all had their hands up.  They were obviously well aware that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What gives the Police the right to straight up assault people with weapons, especially when they are doing nothing wrong?

Imagine you were a tourist caught up in that?

I've had the "pleasure" of encountering the Spanish cops twice: 1st at Atletico Madrid v Hearts and 2nd Champions League with Man U (very much as a neutral). They absolutely love knocking the shit out of people for no reason. Would love to see the scum get a taste of their own medicine.

deesidejambo

I've had the "pleasure" of encountering the Spanish cops twice: 1st at Atletico Madrid v Hearts and 2nd Champions League with Man U (very much as a neutral). They absolutely love knocking the shit out of people for no reason. Would love to see the scum get a taste of their own medicine.

Indeed my pals missus is Catalan and they are just back from a visit there.

When I asked about why the Police violence, he simply replied "Its Spain".  Apparently the Police there deal with most civil disturbance issues in the same violent way and this response was in keeping with that.

So what did you do at work today daddy?

Well I battered some unarmed people shitless for daring to exercise their vote.

These videos are unbelievable. Knew it wouldn't pass completely peacefully but you don't think you'll see the police kicking shit out of young and old, or attacking fire fighters. It's completely outrageous behaviour. All because people want to exercise their right to vote.

This isn't a situation you send police to fix. It's one for government and conditional lawyers. It's disgusting.

Archived