'Clever Fouls'.....

hmfcbilly

Is anyone else fed up with players bringing down a member of the opposition team to stop a breakaway? Is it just me or does this seem to be happening more and more yet seemingly it's universally acceptable in pretty much all leagues or competitions.

I remembered Stevie May bringing down our new winger in added time, and I've just watched it again on alba. Foul was so blatant and potentially stopped us from nabbing a deserved late winner. Jamie Walker booking looked a bit similar (although took place in the middle of the park).

I've lost count of how many times I saw this type of foul happen last season and it's really starting to pi $$ me off how it's just accepted as part of the game.

Maybe football needs to look at alternatives to just dishing out a yellow for a deliberate foul? Other sports put players in a sin bin i.e ice hockey and rugby.

Maybe putting the offending team down to 10 men for say, 10mins would help eradicate what I see is basically cheating.

Thoughts??

Is anyone else fed up with players bringing down a member of the opposition team to stop a breakaway? Is it just me or does this seem to be happening more and more yet seemingly it's universally acceptable in pretty much all leagues or competitions.

I remembered Stevie May bringing down our new winger in added time, and I've just watched it again on alba. Foul was so blatant and potentially stopped us from nabbing a deserved late winner. Jamie Walker booking looked a bit similar (although took place in the middle of the park).

I've lost count of how many times I saw this type of foul happen last season and it's really starting to pi $$ me off how it's just accepted as part of the game.

Maybe football needs to look at alternatives to just dishing out a yellow for a deliberate foul? Other sports put players in a sin bin i.e ice hockey and rugby.

Maybe putting the offending team down to 10 men for say, 10mins would help eradicate what I see is basically cheating.

Thoughts??

Noticed Berra has added that to his game since he's been away, it's been going on for years and Steven Pressley had it down to a fine art.

I totally agree although how refs are supposed to spot the importance of these fouls is a tough one. I do agree, you continually see fouls being committed on players, say, near the half way line, they burst past the first man but get fouled by the second. IMO they rarely result in bookings. Refs will now only book players if there's a chance of injury - which these rarely do.  I'd like to see yellow cards abandoned and a sin bin brought in. What's the point in a team getting the benefit of seeing a player suspended for a later game while his team benefits from his foul play. Football in that sense is a game where crime does pay. 

I was raging today as that's something I've always hated about football. How is that less of an offence than the one Mane committed today? May was at least 10 yards from the ball and lunged to bring a Hearts player down. It reminded me more of Callum Paterson's on El Alagui(sp?) just before Ozturk's peach, which Callum was rightly sent off for.

A wee petulant flick of the boot (unless you're Scott Brown) results in a red but halving a guy from behind with the potential of injury as it's unexpected and with force, is just a yellow. It's unreal.

Shooter McGavin

It's one of those things that when it happens against your team, you're fuming, but in a situation that could go against us, I'd be desperate for the player to be brought down. Outside the box of course.

I was raging today as that's something I've always hated about football. How is that less of an offence than the one Mane committed today? May was at least 10 yards from the ball and lunged to bring a Hearts player down. It reminded me more of Callum Paterson's on El Alagui(sp?) just before Ozturk's peach, which Callum was rightly sent off for.

A wee petulant flick of the boot (unless you're Scott Brown) results in a red but halving a guy from behind with the potential of injury as it's unexpected and with force, is just a yellow. It's unreal.

glad it's not just me who's getting worked up at these deliberate fouls shaggy2!

For what its worth, I saw Mane's red card on MOTD tonight. I'd be gutted if a hearts player saw red for that. Yes, boot was high but was clearly going for the ball. Keeper was brave but had to head it as outside his box. Shearer etc all agreed they would've went for the ball too if they were still playing. IMO it was there to be won. Still, they reckon ref got it right as he followed letter of the law. Sadly, more and more decisions are being made in football due to refs following the letter of the law instead of applying common sense. More than there well paid job is worth if they don't! Yellow would've done for me on that one.

scott herbertson

Thoughts??

Said at the time it was so deliberate could well have been a red

It's one of those things that when it happens against your team, you're fuming, but in a situation that could go against us, I'd be desperate for the player to be brought down. Outside the box of course.

fair comment shooter. I'd be interested to know how many fans share your view. Like you, I go nuts when one of our players are brought down in this way. If im honest though, i shake my head when one of our own do it as it's the one aspect of the game I really despise!

Sin bins should 100% replace yellow cards.

I think they would be a great idea for this specific type of foul

I think they would be a great idea for this specific type of foul

What if it happens in the dying seconds though? Maybe a 1 game ban if it happens in the last five minutes or something instead?

I'd like to see sin bins brought in, I'd also like to see the captain being the only person allowed to speak to the ref and red cards changed to the next time you play the team you were sent off against - why should rivals benefit?

On topic, they are frustrating and I think whilst unsporting they are part and parcel of the game. A sin bin might be more of an incentive to stop players doing it?

Berra performed one of the best professional fouls you will ever see on Stevie May in the second half. He was clear through otherwise. It's part of the game, like everything else. If it's my team, I'm delighted, if it's the opposition, I'm frustrated.

Berra performed one of the best professional fouls you will ever see on Stevie May in the second half. He was clear through otherwise. It's part of the game, like everything else. If it's my team, I'm delighted, if it's the opposition, I'm frustrated.

The difference for me was that Berra's was simply a block, albeit calculated and I agree very professional. May's (and the Paterson one against Hibs which received a deserved red) were lunges from behind with zero intent to play the ball which could have endangered a player's safety. Do you think May gave a shit if he was breaking someone's ankle there? I can tell you right now if one of our players simply boots an opponent like that I'll have no complaints if they walk.

The more I think about it, whilst both were professional, the comparison of the actual challenges are night and day.

May's foul was more cynical, more dangerous and every bit as much of an attempt to cheat as someone chucking themselves to the deck to try and win a penalty (the sin of all footballing sins).

May's foul was more cynical, more dangerous and every bit as much of an attempt to cheat as someone chucking themselves to the deck to try and win a penalty (the sin of all footballing sins).

Correct. It's the danger element he should walk for in my opinion. There is no concern for player safety in that type of challenge.

Correct. It's the danger element he should walk for in my opinion. There is no concern for player safety in that type of challenge.

Said at the time that given the rules regards endangering players and tackles, May should have seen red.

Noticed Berra has added that to his game since he's been away, it's been going on for years and Steven Pressley had it down to a fine art.

Berra's a great defender. Wins everything in the air and if can't get to the ball he makes sure the opposing player doesn't. That's his job.

I totally agree although how refs are supposed to spot the importance of these fouls is a tough one. I do agree, you continually see fouls being committed on players, say, near the half way line, they burst past the first man but get fouled by the second. IMO they rarely result in bookings. Refs will now only book players if there's a chance of injury - which these rarely do.  I'd like to see yellow cards abandoned and a sin bin brought in. What's the point in a team getting the benefit of seeing a player suspended for a later game while his team benefits from his foul play. Football in that sense is a game where crime does pay. 

That clown yesterday gave aberdeen a free kick on every opportunity, deffo biast .

So dont feel sorry for refs, get paid enough.

That clown yesterday gave aberdeen a free kick on every opportunity, deffo biast .

So dont feel sorry for refs, get paid enough.

Refs aren't biased, some of them are just shit and Thomson is ****ing shit.

No sin bins, that's for rugby keep football as it is, you'll always get fouls that'll not go your way but that's football.Wouldn't change our game for anything any changes will ruin it,

Watch Adama Traore in yesterday's Middlesbrough highlights .... the player doesn't have to stop or go down .. even if he does go down, if the ref plays on .. watch the results for yourself!

If the ref stops the game, that's on him, not any players

I thought it was a red. It's a proffesionalism foul ensuring they don't lose the game. However he's lunged in purely to play the man.

highlandjambo3

Thoughts??

Soapy with may on the wing early on as well

It is part of the game. Fouling an opponent has always been one of the options for a defending player.

Tactical fouls already have rules in place to deal with them. Stopping a breakaway should be an automatic yellow card (and is about 90% of the time in the EPL) and stopping someone clean through should be an automatic red (and is more often than not in the EPL).

If the rules are applied properly, each defender can only pull it once or they get sent off. It can be tool for the attacking team to ensure future breaks go down the booked defenders channel.

It breaks down when players don't see it as an automatic yellow (because they play for SEVCO , for example), because it means that on balance of probability, it is worth hauling your man down rather than gambling on the transition breaking down.

Sin bins might work, but if they were as inconsistently applied as the current sanction, we'd be in the same position (but possibly playing the last 10 mins with 9 men v the OF every time).

Its frustrating but its part of the game thats not going to be weeded out eo you need to get on with it. Lafferty for example would be ****ed if this resulted in a sin bin, part of his game is the clever fouls that go unseen by the ref to get you that extra second or yard on the defender. Its no different when the.roles are reversed.

We were at it all day yesterday. I'm glad of it though. Little fouls, clip of the heels, blocking off all in the right areas to stop attacks from becoming more dangerous. We were right in Aberdeens face yesterday and it got to them.

Tbf I was suprised we didn't get a bunch of yellows for it because Thomson was awful.

No sin bin for me, it's a part of the game and up to the ref to decide if it's a yellow or red worthy foul.

It's part of the game. That said, May could probably have seen red given he went to ground without any intention of winning the ball and I guess that's the risk a player takes in these situations.

No sin bins, that's for rugby keep football as it is, you'll always get fouls that'll not go your way but that's football.Wouldn't change our game for anything any changes will ruin it,

Not a dig but it seems like a really short sighted view to just rule out any change for no good reason. The game's changing all the time, from the offside rule, to lines on the pitch at free kicks and one man kickoffs.

Not seen the may foul again but if the ball is miles past him then he could have gotten a red for violent conduct

It's serious foul play at least. Think about it, if May had slid like he did into a 50/50 and a sudden burst of pace enabled Milinkovic to just and no more nick the ball away, May would have been looking at a red for almost winning the ball. You see these all the time but bizarrely if the ball is 10 yards away it's only a yellow. It's bonkers!

The difference for me was that Berra's was simply a block, albeit calculated and I agree very professional. May's (and the Paterson one against Hibs which received a deserved red) were lunges from behind with zero intent to play the ball which could have endangered a player's safety. Do you think May gave a shit if he was breaking someone's ankle there? I can tell you right now if one of our players simply boots an opponent like that I'll have no complaints if they walk.

The more I think about it, whilst both were professional, the comparison of the actual challenges are night and day.

He did what he to do to stop the attack and potential goal threat. He wasn't trying to break anyone's leg. No player should ever just let a player go past them in the final few minutes of the game.

He did what he to do to stop the attack and potential goal threat. He wasn't trying to break anyone's leg. No player should ever just let a player go past them in the final few minutes of the game.

Youre correct, they shouldn't but they should be severely punished for things like that, which COULD injure a player. Apart from Roy Keane, I don't think anybody ever sets out to break legs. Do you think May was caring if he badly hurt Milinkovic?

Tell me you don't see reds for lunges like that in 50/50 challenges all the time.

Archived