Football Italia

Locky

Funnily enough with the Eurogoals thread kicking about, it turns out yesterday was 25 years since Football Italia first aired on Channel 4.

Watching the opening credits brings back so many memories. I know there's an Italian football thread, but this programme deserves its own.

Peter Brackley's commentary too. Sublime.

The most educated period in my footballing history watching the italian game at its strongest with all top talent in the world excluding the spanish players who understandably stayed in spain, plying their trade in italy....

Amazing times to watch and drool over the best teams and players the world had to offer.... :)

As Ray Wilkins would often say " Another master class from Milan today. "

Check this lot out for size....Antonioli, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Rijkaard, Tassotti, Gullit, Donadoni, Van Basten, Papin, Simone.

Manager-Capello !

Spoiled rotten, every Sunday.

Great times. Followed Fiorentina purely due to Rui Costa, a truly phonomenal player. And Batistuta, obviously.

Some wonderful players on display elsewhere too, the likes of Del Piero, Maldini, Boban, Totti, Chiesa, Vialli and Ravanelli.

hmfcisgoodforme

loved watching jean pierre papin van basten and a beauty of a goal from weah great times.

I remember when they done a special when capello locked juventus team in a hotel for 2 weeks think they went on to win the league.

nobody beats james richardson total pro and always asked difficult questions to the players.

hmfcisgoodforme

Great times. Followed Fiorentina purely due to Rui Costa, a truly phonomenal player. And Batistuta, obviously.

Some wonderful players on display elsewhere too, the likes of Del Piero, Maldini, Boban, Totti, Chiesa, Vialli and Ravanelli.

loved fiorentina lived there for a few years.not many people know it was ranieri that found batistuta from argentine 2nd division.

Great players, good football and in James Richardson and Peter Brackley, they had the best presenter/commentator combination I can recall.

loved watching jean pierre papin van basten and a beauty of a goal from weah great times.

I remember when they done a special when capello locked juventus team in a hotel for 2 weeks think they went on to win the league.

nobody beats james richardson total pro and always asked difficult questions to the players.

George Weah! How could I forget him. Seem to remember him scoring a goal after a run from his own box once!

Yep, here it is:

I remember watching Roma win the league in 2001 and the fans prematurely invading the pitch to strip Totti, who was left standing there just in his pants, showing off his tanned, rippling muscles.

I remember watching Roma win the league in 2001 and the fans prematurely invading the pitch to strip Totti, who was left standing there just in his pants, showing off his tanned, rippling muscles.

There's a poster on here who'll be creaming his pants about that.

There must have been a fair bit of crowd trouble in Italy around the time Football Italia started airing, I remember the commentator saying often "a few unsavoury scenes here" as the Italian director panned the camera onto the boxing in the crowd.

Used to watch it regularly on a Sunday, to ease the old hangover, good stuff though the Italian football, tbf.

As Ray Wilkins would often say " Another master class from Milan today. "

Check this lot out for size....Antonioli, Baresi, Maldini, Costacurta, Rijkaard, Tassotti, Gullit, Donadoni, Van Basten, Papin, Simone.

Manager-Capello !

Spoiled rotten, every Sunday.

Outstanding.

"So, Roberto [baggio], how's your backside?"

"Pardon?"

"Well, you seem to have been using it a lot lately, haven't you?"

[Pause]

"Oh, you mean because I'm on the subs' bench?"

The Italian league was ridiculous back then. Even the "smaller" teams like Lazio, Parma and Fiorentina had some incredible line ups

HamishMcGonagall

Loved this. Some great teams and amazingly talented players.

Think it seemed all the better at the time since it was before the days of sky n bt showing all the games from all the big European leagues.

It was almost a pisstake in terms of quality between the decade of 1990 and 2000. Not only the best players of that era but some of the greatest to ever kick a baw.

Nothing will ever hold a candle to it. Even with the EPLs billions they still couldn't get near that standard.

Iirc that Roma win ended Ch4's live coverage.

The game was stopped because of the pitch invasion and Ch4's transmission ended before the game could be restarted and the title clinched.

From then it was a highlights package only until Ch4 ceased covering Italian football altogether.

That's my recollection anyway.

James Richardson was great with the humour. I remember him saying young Cannavaro was 'polled' the best looking player by a gay mag. Not quite Does Lynam.

Lecce, according to Wik.

I did love Bruno.

Remember Gazzetta Italia, the Saturday morning "football Focus" equivalent for Football Italia did a piece on Bruno signing for the Hearts.  Footage of him going berserk in a Turin derby.

Archived