Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Francis Albert

How refreshing to return to the Brexit thread. A flashback to the days when we spent four years fretting about a forecast small reduction in GDP growth over 15 years (aka national suicide) and the loss of freedom of movement  (ie  a need possibly to pay a few quid for a visa).

Halcyon  days.

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How nice to hear that the Justice secretary would consider resigning IF the UK broke the law in away HE found unacceptable

What utter nonsense is that ?

This is a man who is there to uphold the law not break it when he feels like it

At last we all know laws can be broken by one and all IF we find them unacceptable.....love to be the first person who goes to court and simply repeats that phrase when questioned.....I would consider a guilty plea IF only I had found the law in question to be acceptable.

Ed Miliband has absolutely torn Bozo to shreds in the HoC today.

I always thought he was the wrong Miliband to take the reins of Labour and, of course, he led to Corbyn who completely fokked it up. Maybe it was just that the time was wrong but he was mightily impressive today; relentless.

26 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Ed Miliband has absolutely torn Bozo to shreds in the HoC today.

I always thought he was the wrong Miliband to take the reins of Labour and, of course, he led to Corbyn who completely fokked it up. Maybe it was just that the time was wrong but he was mightily impressive today; relentless.

Yep, they sure picked the wrong Milliband and in so doing handed the Tories a free pass to govern sloppily and remain in power with no effective challenge. The brothers' relationship has been strained ever since.

That said, I agree about Ed today. He gave an excellent account of himself today and tore Boris up for loo roll.

Another who has made an utter fool of himself is South Swindon MP & Lord Chancellor Robert Buckland. What, exactly constitutes breaking the law in an unacceptable way? It's, ummm the Law and you're not supposed to break it at all! And he's the Lord Chancellor! A good few of my work colleagues would have voted for this Pillock!  

The Mighty Thor

Watching a bit of the debate. I say debate but its really just a procession of labotomised gammons chuntering utter bollocks about two world wars and one world cup. 

How TF did these imbeciles get into power? 

One step closer to a no deal on top of an economy on its knees after Covid.

A deliberate act of sabotage on the country.

Who's really behind this is what I want to know.

All on the amendments next week.

But to be fair, since we all knew that the GFA made a hard brexit illegal, it was always at risk of being breached by the fanatics.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

All on the amendments next week.

But to be fair, since we all knew that the GFA made a hard brexit illegal, it was always at risk of being breached by the fanatics.

I have no faith in the amendments.

We effectively have a Tea Party where even the so called moderate Tories hold their noses at the abuse of power.

Coronavirus,  No Deal Brexit, perfect to announce new emergency measures without parliamentary scrutiny.

If they are happy breaking international law, then who cares about national law.

This country is f*cked.

53 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I have no faith in the amendments.

We effectively have a Tea Party where even the so called moderate Tories hold their noses at the abuse of power.

Coronavirus,  No Deal Brexit, perfect to announce new emergency measures without parliamentary scrutiny.

If they are happy breaking international law, then who cares about national law.

This country is f*cked.

Without wanting to derail the thread, yes, yes it is. And that is why I have changed my tack from quite vociferous anti-Scottish independence to pro-Scottish independence. I could see with Brexit, and the actions of the government during the whole process, which way the UK was going. I didn't, and don't, like it one bit. I am sincerely hoping that Scotland can/will make a better fist of being a grown-up sensible country than the UK is likely to do.

Edited by redjambo

Always like Wee Ed Milliband and just another opponent destroyed by the Tory media. Who are the reason we get returned people like Thatcher, Boris and Blair, time and time again time. And the now useless Daily Record, used to be the reason we had Labour up here. 

If this is what the government is doing(And the Cummings affair with covid) The peasants will be revolting over restrictions this time round.

A bit of free advice to our national leader. You're supposed to be the example. You fecking idiot! 

Edited by ri Alban

Ainsley Harriott

Glad the bill has gone through in the sense it brings all areas of the UK together. Fingers crossed that after Brexit is done Boris brings to an end devolution. The Scottish Parliament is no more than a breeding ground for false grievances.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Glad the bill has gone through in the sense it brings all areas of the UK together. Fingers crossed that after Brexit is done Boris brings to an end devolution. The Scottish Parliament is no more than a breeding ground for false grievances.

:rofl:

Thanks for cheering me up after I’ve just received a large tax bill.

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl:

Thanks for cheering me up after I’ve just received a large tax bill.

Stop pretending you have a job 😂

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Stop pretending you have a job 😂

Ainsley I haven’t got a job.

The idle rich and all that.

:P

Ainsley Harriott
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Ainsley I haven’t got a job.

The idle rich and all that.

:P

You sit in the house of lords? Knew it 

10 hours ago, Costanza said:

One step closer to a no deal on top of an economy on its knees after Covid.

A deliberate act of sabotage on the country.

Who's really behind this is what I want to know.

tenor.gif

39 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

tenor.gif

Well quite. Russian disinformation is working 'wonders ' around the world.

I was never one for conspiracy theories but when you look at the Russian money into the Tory Party, Cummings early years in Russia, Johnson slipping his security to go to an Oligarchs party whilst Foreign Secretary and the lack of any investigation into Russian meddling in elections....you do wonder.

I know it’s pointless wishing for this but I do wish we could roll back from leaving the EU as it is going to be an unmitigated disaster of monumental proportions. Sadly after we have gone through with this it will be to late and the chief culprits will be totally unaffected by the fall out. 

37 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I know it’s pointless wishing for this but I do wish we could roll back from leaving the EU as it is going to be an unmitigated disaster of monumental proportions. Sadly after we have gone through with this it will be to late and the chief culprits will be totally unaffected by the fall out. 

I think they intend to profit from the fallout.

There's money to be made in chaos:

Lots of government contracts to be handed out without a proper tendering process.

State assets to be sold off cheaply to their mates.

Regulations and employment rights rolled back to increase profits.

NHS opened up to private companies.

The spivs and asset strippers have found common ground with Putin's robber barons, the result will be a poorer and less stable UK.

On the bright side there'll be fewer of those Eastern European types coming here and contributing to a growing economy.

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, fancy a brew said:

I think they intend to profit from the fallout.

There's money to be made in chaos:

Lots of government contracts to be handed out without a proper tendering process.

State assets to be sold off cheaply to their mates.

Regulations and employment rights rolled back to increase profits.

NHS opened up to private companies.

The spivs and asset strippers have found common ground with Putin's robber barons, the result will be a poorer and less stable UK.

On the bright side there'll be fewer of those Eastern European types coming here and contributing to a growing economy.

Yes because theres no private involvement in the NHS currently 🤔

6 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yes because theres no private involvement in the NHS currently 🤔

True, but I think it will be small beer in comparison to what the asset strippers have in mind.

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, Costanza said:

Well quite. Russian disinformation is working 'wonders ' around the world.

I was never one for conspiracy theories but when you look at the Russian money into the Tory Party, Cummings early years in Russia, Johnson slipping his security to go to an Oligarchs party whilst Foreign Secretary and the lack of any investigation into Russian meddling in elections....you do wonder.

When are we going to have an investigation into American intervention in almost every free election (not to mention the unfree ones!) in at least the last 75 years?

18 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

When are we going to have an investigation into American intervention in almost every free election (not to mention the unfree ones!) in at least the last 75 years?

Do we really need one? I would also say the 'unfree' ones as you put it, are only unfree because the US likes it that way!

And I dare say their meddling in elections goes back well over 100 years!!

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/mexican-revolution-and-the-united-states/war-against-huerta.html

Edited by jambo89

10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Why the whataboutery here?

Are you assuming I'm ignorant of US involvement in other countries?

I'm referring to the here and now in *checks notes* a Brexit thread.

I also think there is US involvement with financial backing of some of the "independent" think tanks and manoeuvres to open up UK market access and drive down food and environmental standards but that is not at government level (I think).

It's surely undeniable the impact of disinformation campaigns by Russia but I'm a bit more concerned about it going a fair bit further than that in the UK.

23 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

On the upside, I might dig out Hegemony or Survival by Chomsky for a reread to see how prescient it is for Russia's modern day methods.

3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Why the whataboutery here?

Are you assuming I'm ignorant of US involvement in other countries?

I'm referring to the here and now in *checks notes* a Brexit thread.

I also think there is US involvement with financial backing of some of the "independent" think tanks and manoeuvres to open up UK market access and drive down food and environmental standards but that is not at government level (I think).

It's surely undeniable the impact of disinformation campaigns by Russia but I'm a bit more concerned about it going a fair bit further than that in the UK.

UK involvement in other countries is substantial too but destroying the EU is near the top of US priorities.

I don't know what the Russian disinformation is never mind the impact of it. Is it not more likely that we are being manipulated by exiled Russians and isn't it a particular problem here because of the lax laws on money laundering and the easy access to UK dependency tax havens through the City? Is it not these Russians that our government is close to where they have funded the Tory party and Tory supporting media in return for having their "investments" protected and having been elevated to the H o L? These exiles are terrified of having their finances scrutinised and controlled if proposed EU legislation gets implemented.

This is nothing to do with the Russian state is it?

Seen this from Boris the Clown!

The Saddo must have not seen the previous PM’s come out against him. 

Last night I voted to protect the United Kingdom, as any Prime Minister would do.

Unfortunately, I was not joined by a single Labour or SNP MP.

Instead Labour and the SNP chose to side with the EU and their outrageous threats to carve up our Union.

Making it clear we’re the only Party willing to stand up for the United Kingdom.

Last year in good faith I signed the Withdrawal Agreement, believing the EU would stand by their word to be reasonable.

But regretfully, as Labour know, in recent months the EU have suggested they would go to extreme and unreasonable lengths.

Threatening to put up blockades across our own country, divide our own land and change the very economic geography of our own union.

No British Prime Minister, Government or Parliament has ever bowed to such a humiliating and offensive threat.

And I’m proud to say that legacy continued last night.

But appallingly when presented with another opportunity to stand up for the UK, Labour chose not to. Instead they buckled to the EU.

So now we are faced with this unprecedented situation we must all redouble our efforts to combat Labour.

With your support I’m certain we will succeed.

Yours sincerely,

Boris Johnson
Prime Minister

3 hours ago, coconut doug said:

UK involvement in other countries is substantial too but destroying the EU is near the top of US priorities.

I don't know what the Russian disinformation is never mind the impact of it. Is it not more likely that we are being manipulated by exiled Russians and isn't it a particular problem here because of the lax laws on money laundering and the easy access to UK dependency tax havens through the City? Is it not these Russians that our government is close to where they have funded the Tory party and Tory supporting media in return for having their "investments" protected and having been elevated to the H o L? These exiles are terrified of having their finances scrutinised and controlled if proposed EU legislation gets implemented.

This is nothing to do with the Russian state is it?

I think you are correct to highlight the money laundering aspect and they are definitely trying and I guess have, influenced the Tory party.

The Russian state is definitely involved in disinformation but in terms of their influence on the Tory Party, there is no active evidence, more supposition (i.e. see here buthttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/26/the-russia-report-shows-we-have-a-security-problem-he-lives-in-no-10 )

but when the Government delay reports on Russian interference and frankly ignores it, it does make me wonder.

54 minutes ago, Costanza said:

I think you are correct to highlight the money laundering aspect and they are definitely trying and I guess have, influenced the Tory party.

The Russian state is definitely involved in disinformation but in terms of their influence on the Tory Party, there is no active evidence, more supposition (i.e. see here buthttps://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/26/the-russia-report-shows-we-have-a-security-problem-he-lives-in-no-10 )

but when the Government delay reports on Russian interference and frankly ignores it, it does make me wonder.

You say the Russian state is definitely involved in disinformation maybe you could tell us what that might be.

You also say you suppose they have influenced the Tory party. That is of course entirely possible but the involvement of Russians according to the ISC report is almost entirely restricted to individuals who are not currently welcome in Russia. Our Foreign secretary when asked about Russian state interference in UK elections could not have been more concise https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-41829717.  

I find the notion that Trump and the Tories could be in cahoots with Putin and the Russian state absolutely ludicrous. Don't you think it more likely that if there is a link between them and Russians it is with those outwith the Russian state?

The Mighty Thor
4 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Seen this from Boris the Clown!

The Saddo must have not seen the previous PM’s come out against him. 

Last night I voted to protect the United Kingdom, as any Prime Minister would do.

Unfortunately, I was not joined by a single Labour or SNP MP.

Instead Labour and the SNP chose to side with the EU and their outrageous threats to carve up our Union.

Making it clear we’re the only Party willing to stand up for the United Kingdom.

Last year in good faith I signed the Withdrawal Agreement, believing the EU would stand by their word to be reasonable.

But regretfully, as Labour know, in recent months the EU have suggested they would go to extreme and unreasonable lengths.

Threatening to put up blockades across our own country, divide our own land and change the very economic geography of our own union.

No British Prime Minister, Government or Parliament has ever bowed to such a humiliating and offensive threat.

And I’m proud to say that legacy continued last night.

But appallingly when presented with another opportunity to stand up for the UK, Labour chose not to. Instead they buckled to the EU.

So now we are faced with this unprecedented situation we must all redouble our efforts to combat Labour.

With your support I’m certain we will succeed.

Yours sincerely,

Boris Johnson
Prime Minister

That's gold standard revisionism right there kids 👍

What Boris' retarded letter actually means:

"The Good Friday Agreement and Withdrawal Agreements make a hard Brexit illegal and always have done but we're so blinded by dreams of Empire 2.0 that we're going to break them both"

19 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

FB_IMG_1600158440690.jpg

Maybe the SNP should just rip up the Act of Union. Who needs to uphold treaties anyway? 👍

Then we can negotiate our own trade deals, all over the world. Sorted! 

The Mighty Thor

I see on the publicly funded state broadcaster/propaganda organ that the Brexit freight system will be ready on time.

More great news from the people that brought you an 'oven-ready' deal, world beating track and trace system etc etc.

What could possibly go wrong?

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe the SNP should just rip up the Act of Union. Who needs to uphold treaties anyway? 👍

Then we can negotiate our own trade deals, all over the world. Sorted! 

:greatpost:

On 15/09/2020 at 08:43, Ainsley Harriott said:

Why do you not want people in Scotland who are accountable to the people of Scotland? 

Are you seriously happy with the way Westminster has behaved since 2009? Happy that whatever England votes for Scotland gets?

Odd behaviour not wanting a parliament inside your own country. Weird! 

23 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

FB_IMG_1600158440690.jpg

Yes lets just SHIT on EVERYTHING!!! Then force MP's to vote on further SHIT and then slag them off if they dont vote for additional SHIT!

He could get a job on the West Wing TV show!

Ainsley Harriott
11 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yes lets just SHIT on EVERYTHING!!! Then force MP's to vote on further SHIT and then slag them off if they dont vote for additional SHIT!

He could get a job on the West Wing TV show!

The SNP government hate the UK more than they like Scotland. They have actually sided with the EU against scottish fishermen in the last couple of weeks. 

Ainsley Harriott
16 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Why do you not want people in Scotland who are accountable to the people of Scotland? 

Are you seriously happy with the way Westminster has behaved since 2009? Happy that whatever England votes for Scotland gets?

Odd behaviour not wanting a parliament inside your own country. Weird! 

Do I think I would be personally better off living in a left wing socialist Scotland absolutely not. 

Imagine having a parliament hundreds of miles away in Brussels setting the rules. Mental eh.

35 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Do I think I would be personally better off living in a left wing socialist Scotland absolutely not. 

Imagine having a parliament hundreds of miles away in Brussels setting the rules. Mental eh.

Why do people still trot this lie out , after all that has been discussed since 2016.

It's just not true. 

If you're basing your aspirational views for your country on whether you'll be better off ....weird. Just weird.

Scotland must be just about the only country I can think of in  modern times whose independence is derided by a substantial element of its population who effectively don't want to pay any additional costs for it, even thought there is ample evidence (see Scotland the Brief) that Scotland's economy will be badly damaged by Brexit and could arguably do much better with independence. 

And I don't say that as someone who is necessarily in favour of independence. 

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Why do people still trot this lie out , after all that has been discussed since 2016.

It's just not true. 

If you're basing your aspirational views for your country on whether you'll be better off ....weird. Just weird.

Scotland must be just about the only country I can think of in  modern times whose independence is derided by a substantial element of its population who effectively don't want to pay any additional costs for it, even thought there is ample evidence (see Scotland the Brief) that Scotland's economy will be badly damaged by Brexit and could arguably do much better with independence. 

The Irony being, he (and perhaps you) are advocates for a parliament setting the rules that is 'hundreds of miles away'  

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's just not true. 

What part is a lie? You suggesting there is no European parliament in Brussels that have influence over laws?

I'm yet to see any evidence of how Scotland would be better of independent.

53 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Ahh 😂. That auld shite excuse as if its one union versus another!
What ‘rules’ does Brussels set that you are looking forward to NOT obeying after Brexit then???

55 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Ye, I actually do think you would be better off. 

Capitalism just tells folk that they are part of a “wealth sharing society” then they have to go cap in hand to the government for benefits to top up their salaries. 
The working poor. Yay capitalism!

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )