Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

None of us moan though as we buy products made in Chinese sweatshops. There’s hypocrisy the world over. 

It’s very difficult to avoid Made in China. Believe me I’ve tried. 

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Cheers for posting this, didn't know about this.

Might explain why there seems to be dodgy products appearing on the market from time to time which bear the CE mark, which isn't the expected CE mark which everyone expects that it's been tested and is safe, especially around christmas time with childrens toys and clothes.

The CE mark/china export thing is a complete myth.

It has no basis in truth whatsoever.

The issue was raised in the European Parliament way back in 2008 and the myth was busted.

Whether or not knock-offs continue to use fake CE marks is another matter.

But then they'd be using the actual CE mark and not some knock-off kiddy-on "china export" one, wouldn't they?

1 hour ago, Cade said:

The CE mark/china export thing is a complete myth.

It has no basis in truth whatsoever.

The issue was raised in the European Parliament way back in 2008 and the myth was busted.

Whether or not knock-offs continue to use fake CE marks is another matter.

But then they'd be using the actual CE mark and not some knock-off kiddy-on "china export" one, wouldn't they?

Thanks, Cade.

Parliamentary questions

9 January 2008

P-5938/2007

Answer given by Mr Verheugen on behalf of the Commission

The Commission is aware that there exists the misconception attributing CE marking the meaning ‘Chinese export’. The Commission is not aware of the existence of a ‘China export mark’ but considers that the mark the Honourable Member refers to constitute the CE marking as foreseen in the European legislation without, however, respecting the dimensions and proportions prescribed therein.

The Commission is aware that CE marking, like any other mark, is misused, e.g. CE marking is affixed to products which do not fulfil the requirements and conditions for its affixing or it is affixed to products for which the affixing is not foreseen. There are also cases where, whilst the product is in compliance with the applicable requirements the CE marking itself does not respect the formal requirements, namely the form of the CE marking or the dimensions and proportions prescribed in the legislation.

The Commission considers market surveillance to be the crucial element to prevent CE marking from being misused. According to the principle of subsidiarity market surveillance is primarily a task of the Member States. Products bearing CE marking although they do not comply with the applicable requirements must be identified by the national competent authorities and subsequently be withdrawn from the market.

As market surveillance does not work on a uniform level throughout the EU the Commission deems it necessary to establish a comprehensive Community legislative framework in order to ensure coherent market surveillance. The Commission, therefore, proposed a draft Regulation setting out the requirements for market surveillance relating to the marketing of products(1). This draft Regulation aims at strengthening market surveillance for industrial products and making it more effective and more efficient in all Member States, consumer goods already being covered by the General Product Safety Directive(2). The proposal sets out minimum requirements in terms of resources and surveillance activities and establishes cooperation and information obligations between authorities, both on a national level and across borders. Furthermore, it will establish an obligation for Member States to execute appropriate checks on the characteristics of a product on an adequate scale before it is released for free circulation. In addition it will introduce the possibility for national authorities to destroy non-compliant products. It also provides for the legal basis for Member States to impose sanctions in the case of misuse which should serve as a deterrent. However, it is up to Member States to actually use this power.

The Commission is in constant discussion with Chinese authorities in order to ensure that Chinese exporters respect Community legislation.

The Commission has already initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark. National market surveillance authorities will have an additional means to take legal action against manufacturers providing non-compliant products and misusing CE marking. In addition, economic operators/competitors will be entitled to bring proceedings for infringement and to claim for compensation.

https://www.cemarkingassociation.co.uk/ce-marking-and-the-chinese-export-logo/

So basically the Chinese (Exporters) were stamping their products for export using a CE mark. Meaning Chinese export. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

Unknown user
45 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Parliamentary questions

9 January 2008

P-5938/2007

Answer given by Mr Verheugen on behalf of the Commission

The Commission is aware that there exists the misconception attributing CE marking the meaning ‘Chinese export’. The Commission is not aware of the existence of a ‘China export mark’ but considers that the mark the Honourable Member refers to constitute the CE marking as foreseen in the European legislation without, however, respecting the dimensions and proportions prescribed therein.

The Commission is aware that CE marking, like any other mark, is misused, e.g. CE marking is affixed to products which do not fulfil the requirements and conditions for its affixing or it is affixed to products for which the affixing is not foreseen. There are also cases where, whilst the product is in compliance with the applicable requirements the CE marking itself does not respect the formal requirements, namely the form of the CE marking or the dimensions and proportions prescribed in the legislation.

The Commission considers market surveillance to be the crucial element to prevent CE marking from being misused. According to the principle of subsidiarity market surveillance is primarily a task of the Member States. Products bearing CE marking although they do not comply with the applicable requirements must be identified by the national competent authorities and subsequently be withdrawn from the market.

As market surveillance does not work on a uniform level throughout the EU the Commission deems it necessary to establish a comprehensive Community legislative framework in order to ensure coherent market surveillance. The Commission, therefore, proposed a draft Regulation setting out the requirements for market surveillance relating to the marketing of products(1). This draft Regulation aims at strengthening market surveillance for industrial products and making it more effective and more efficient in all Member States, consumer goods already being covered by the General Product Safety Directive(2). The proposal sets out minimum requirements in terms of resources and surveillance activities and establishes cooperation and information obligations between authorities, both on a national level and across borders. Furthermore, it will establish an obligation for Member States to execute appropriate checks on the characteristics of a product on an adequate scale before it is released for free circulation. In addition it will introduce the possibility for national authorities to destroy non-compliant products. It also provides for the legal basis for Member States to impose sanctions in the case of misuse which should serve as a deterrent. However, it is up to Member States to actually use this power.

The Commission is in constant discussion with Chinese authorities in order to ensure that Chinese exporters respect Community legislation.

The Commission has already initiated the procedure to register CE marking as a Community collective trademark. National market surveillance authorities will have an additional means to take legal action against manufacturers providing non-compliant products and misusing CE marking. In addition, economic operators/competitors will be entitled to bring proceedings for infringement and to claim for compensation.

https://www.cemarkingassociation.co.uk/ce-marking-and-the-chinese-export-logo/

So basically the Chinese (Exporters) were stamping their products for export using a CE mark. Meaning Chinese export. 

12 years ago

Pans Jambo
On 16/04/2020 at 12:44, Mikey1874 said:

Still leaving on No Deal it seems

A customer of mine based near Dundee told me she  had almost 700 applications from Scottish based folk to pick fruit. less than 40 came for the interview. 6 actually accepted an offer of employment, 2 turned up for training and they haven't been seen since! (My customer is a large soft fruit farmer who supplies the supermarkets with berries and owns their own production packhouse).

14 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

A customer of mine based near Dundee told me she  had almost 700 applications from Scottish based folk to pick fruit. less than 40 came for the interview. 6 actually accepted an offer of employment, 2 turned up for training and they haven't been seen since! (My customer is a large soft fruit farmer who supplies the supermarkets with berries and owns their own production packhouse).

Similar things happening around here, it's pathetic the attitude of some towards working.

Fishing rights part of the negotiations starts today.

And probably ends today.

No-Deal is looking more likely with every passing day.

Pans Jambo
56 minutes ago, Cade said:

Fishing rights part of the negotiations starts today.

And probably ends today.

No-Deal is looking more likely with every passing day.

Yip, UK to get access to Europe's fish markets & Europe gets full access to the UK's fishing waters.

Done (up like a kipper).

Highlander

I thought No Deal was an inevitability the day Johnson won the selection as leader. Now I am not so sure.

The EU negotiating team are an astute bunch. Barnier is smart but Johnson's chief negotiator, David Frost, is also a sharp cookie.

The next few weeks are going to be interesting, as the clock runs down to July 1st.  

Cairneyhill Jambo
11 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yip, UK to get access to Europe's fish markets & Europe gets full access to the UK's fishing waters.

Done (up like a kipper).

Fisherman deserve all they get. Most of them voted for Brexit but the UK have sold their souls. Hey ho. 

Pans Jambo
1 minute ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Fisherman deserve all they get. Most of them voted for Brexit but the UK have sold their souls. Hey ho. 

The loud mouth ones who got the airtime did but I spoke to plenty who knew where their main market is/was and it aint middle engerland!

Cairneyhill Jambo
6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The loud mouth ones who got the airtime did but I spoke to plenty who knew where their main market is/was and it aint middle engerland!

It was more to do with the fact that if they voted for Brexit, it would stop the Spanish and French boats fishing our waters. 

Pans Jambo
18 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

It was more to do with the fact that if they voted for Brexit, it would stop the Spanish and French boats fishing our waters. 

Yeah I spoke to a few of them too. 

Highlander

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yeah I spoke to a few of them too. 

So Pans, if you had your choice, would you:

1. Cancel Brexit wholesale
2. Extend on July 1st in the hope that a deal can, at some point, be done. 
3. Leave without a deal (I'm assuming I know the answer to this)
or 4. Other

5 hours ago, Highlander said:

or 4. Other

Pans Jambo
7 hours ago, Highlander said:

or 4. Other

Brexit is nuckin futz. Always has been.

21 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

You can't bud. But a no deal is better for Scotland. As it gives more reason to independence and also gives us a clean slate to negotiate, if and when we decide to join. 👍

Coming from a harbour village, I often have a wee neb at what's on offer (quality & price) in the fish markets, supermarkets when abroad. Spain, Portugal and France are all selling illegal undersize fish (Haddock, Hake, Whiting) caught in UK waters. An official in a Mercadona supermarket insisted that we stop taking photo's of their display, I wonder why. A fishmonger friend with me, reckoned Brit/EU fisheries authority should be shutting these premises down. I suggested he show the photo's to his local MP, after all this is his livelihood, "cannae be bothered" he said. I despair!

scott herbertson
11 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Can't see the problem you have with fishermen selling soles?

image.jpeg.6ad35787f6ab8276948807397cf0af95.jpeg

Pans Jambo
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

You can't bud. But a no deal is better for Scotland. As it gives more reason to independence and also gives us a clean slate to negotiate, if and when we decide to join. 👍

Yeah I know it gives us a clearer path to indy but (Hypothetically), I dont even think thats the real issue now. Just look at the clusterfeck the tories and the UK Gov made/are making of the Covid situation. Surely folk who are fence sitting have fell off onto the Indy side by now.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yeah I know it gives us a clearer path to indy but (Hypothetically), I dont even think thats the real issue now. Just look at the clusterfeck the tories and the UK Gov made/are making of the Covid situation. Surely folk who are fence sitting have fell off onto the Indy side by now.

Never underestimate the delusional Tory, particularly Boris supporters here in Scotland.  These are just a few of the things I've been told in the last fortnight or so:

THIS week, apparently it WAS that antiques guy in Barnard Castle. (This despite the fact Cummings has admitted it).

Nicola Sturgeon is living in Glasgow with her French lesbian lover while her husband is in Edinburgh.

It's disgraceful that Cummings is being attacked because his son is disabled.

Seriously, this is what the xenophobic bigots are coming away with.

PS They'll have a hairy canary at the thought of 3 million Chinese coming from Hong Kong!!! (Although Boris will make sure they're all qualified and will have jobs earning over £25k - so nae luck if you don't qualify; you'll just have to go to the Chinese equivalent of the gulags).

Edited by colinmaroon

Pans Jambo
1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

Never underestimate the delusional Tory, particularly Boris supporters here in Scotland.  These are just a few of the things I've been told in the last fortnight or so:

THIS week, apparently it WAS that antiques guy in Barnard Castle. (This despite the fact Cummings has admitted it).

Nicola Sturgeon is living in Glasgow with her French lesbian lover while her husband is in Edinburgh.

It's disgraceful that Cummings is being attacked because his son is disabled.

Seriously, this is what the xenophobic bigots are coming away with.

PS They'll have a hairy canary at the thought of 3 million Chinese coming from Hong Kong!!! (Although Boris will make sure they're all qualified and will have jobs earning over £25k - so nae luck if you don't qualify; you'll just have to go to the Chinese equivalent of the gulags.

Yeah, and just wait until India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, South Africa and Brasil all want their 3 things to allow a trade negotiation to go ahead...

Visa's

Visa's

Visa's

They will be greeting to rejoin the EU in a couple of years.

The Real Maroonblood
On 02/06/2020 at 09:24, Dawnrazor said:

Similar things happening around here, it's pathetic the attitude of some towards working.

Some probably get a nose bleed when work is mentioned.

However when there is a huge influx from Hong Kong everything will be fine.

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Can't see the problem you have with fishermen selling soles?

image.jpeg.6ad35787f6ab8276948807397cf0af95.jpeg

Especially with the load of old cobblers in Westminster.

Highlander
9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Just when I thought you were a pragmatist. So you'd be willing to overthrow the democratic process to dissolve a majority vote to leave the EU? And please don't give me the "Scotland didn't vote for it" pap. I voted for independence in 2014 too but I accept that I lost and that the 2016 vote was a UK wide vote. Therefore, we did vote for it. By virtue of the fact we voted to remain part of the union in 2014, we (the union) also voted for Brexit. We may therefore not like the outcome but surely the dilution of democracy is a greater threat? What you propose would literally overthrow the democratic process and lead to mass riots.  

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Assuming we become an independent nation (and that is still a big assumption), surely an independent Scottish Government would require the mandate for reentry through a referendum on EU membership, you'd think. I doubt very much Scotland would vote by majority when the deal would involve joining the eurozone, adopting the euro as our currency and sending sizeable sums of our budget to Brussels when countries like North Macedonia and Albania are currently knocking at the EU door. That is marked shift from the offer that was on the table in 2016 and I definitely would not vote for reentry in these circumstances.

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

PS They'll have a hairy canary at the thought of 3 million Chinese coming from Hong Kong!!! (Although Boris will make sure they're all qualified and will have jobs earning over £25k - so nae luck if you don't qualify; you'll just have to go to the Chinese equivalent of the gulags).

Can't wait to see the Daily Nazi headline on this one or see Herr Farage stropping about Kent over the resettling of millions of Hong Kong Chinese. 

You couldn't write it.   

Pans Jambo
2 hours ago, Highlander said:

Just when I thought you were a pragmatist. So you'd be willing to overthrow the democratic process to dissolve a majority vote to leave the EU? And please don't give me the "Scotland didn't vote for it" pap. I voted for independence in 2014 too but I accept that I lost and that the 2016 vote was a UK wide vote. Therefore, we did vote for it. By virtue of the fact we voted to remain part of the union in 2014, we (the union) also voted for Brexit. We may therefore not like the outcome but surely the dilution of democracy is a greater threat? What you propose would literally overthrow the democratic process and lead to mass riots.  

Assuming we become an independent nation (and that is still a big assumption), surely an independent Scottish Government would require the mandate for reentry through a referendum on EU membership, you'd think. I doubt very much Scotland would vote by majority when the deal would involve joining the eurozone, adopting the euro as our currency and sending sizeable sums of our budget to Brussels when countries like North Macedonia and Albania are currently knocking at the EU door. That is marked shift from the offer that was on the table in 2016 and I definitely would not vote for reentry in these circumstances.

Dude, no even getting into all that shite. 

YOU asked me “If I could” & then gave me a multiple choice FFS! 🤣

What is it? You bored and looking for a pagger?

If you dont like my answer dont ask me the question!

Edited by Pans Jambo

Highlander

Dude, no even getting into all that shite. 

YOU asked me “If I could” & then gave me a multiple choice FFS! 🤣

What is it? You bored and looking for a pagger?

If you dont like my answer dont ask me the question!

I was genuinely interested in your perspective. You answered the question. I questioned your response. I thought we were having a conversation. My mistake. 

Also, on the multiple choice, there was an "other" option in case you had a genuinely nuanced position.

Pans Jambo
7 hours ago, Highlander said:

I was genuinely interested in your perspective. You answered the question. I questioned your response. I thought we were having a conversation. My mistake. 

Also, on the multiple choice, there was an "other" option in case you had a genuinely nuanced position.

Your response is not worded anything like a “conversation” at all. More like an attack on my reply. I’ll leave it there. 

Highlander

Your response is not worded anything like a “conversation” at all. More like an attack on my reply. I’ll leave it there. 

Bravo! 

Viva La Democracia. 

• 3 weeks later...

Stanley Johnson applies for French citizenship

:rofl:

What is it with all the swivel-eyed brexit maniacs and applying for EU nationality??????

vladisacoward

When you say ‘all’, how do you arrive at that conclusion?

Incidentally, as is often the case with you remainiacs, you’re not exactly bang on the money when describing ( in such progressive terms as per) swivel eyed brexit maniac Stanley Johnson. Perhaps a little basic research before wittering on about something of which you clearly know little?

Tokyo imposes a 6-week time limit on post-Brexit trade talks.

UK will have to make serious compromises to hit that target.

Brexit fanatics who have applied for or bought EU citizenship:

Nigel Farage = German passport

Nigel Lawson = French passport

Stanley Johnson = French passport (which was denied, he is now stuck in England with the plebs)

Alan Howard (tory party and brexit campaign donor) = Cypriot passport

Jeremy Isaacs (tory party and brexit campaign donor) = Cypriot passport

Christopher Chandler (founder of Legatum, a hard brexit think tank) = Maltese passport

Mark Soleson (chief executive of Legatum) = Maltese passport

Jacob Rees-Mogg has moved a portion of his business interests to Dublin, so he can access the Single Market and avoid border checks.

James Dyson has moved his entire operation to Singapore.

Sir Jim Radcliffe (UK's richest man, brexiteer) has moved to Monaco.

Lord Ashcroft has had at least three nationalities for year (UK and Belize and Turks and Caicos islands as well) and has encouraged businesses to register in Malta instead of the UK.

Barclay twins = Monaco.

Louise Mensch = New York.

Steve Hilton (ex-Cameron advisor, now Fox News contributor) = USA

Niall Ferguson = USA

Richard Littlejohn (Sun and Daily Mail hate preacher) = Vero Beach, Florida.

I could go on all day but I think I've made my point.

Brexit is for the little people.

The people who pushed so hard for it have all gotten themselves EU or other nationalities sorted.

30 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

He switched sides not long after the referendum.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/862560/Boris-johnson-dad-Stanley-Johnson-Eu-brexit-news-latest-Jean-Claude-Juncker

game, set, match?

Edited by Cade

8 hours ago, Cade said:

Brexit is for the little people.

The people who pushed so hard for it have all gotten themselves EU or other nationalities sorted.

Imagine thinking Brexit was a populist act of putting two fingers up at the establishment :lol:

Brexit is the establishment entrenching and enriching itself with the help, and at the expense, of the common man.

• 3 weeks later...
Weakened Offender

Anyone who trusts the uk government to negotiate its way around Brexit after the complete shambles it's made of the pandemic deserves a really shite life. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Anyone who trusts the uk government to negotiate its way around Brexit after the complete shambles it's made of the pandemic deserves a really shite life. 

:lol:

23 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

If things go on as they are, a shite life is guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Deep and thoughtful post

Weakened Offender
12 minutes ago, jake said:

Deep and thoughtful post

You don't need to go too deep nor get too thoughtful when ridiculing these mindless plebs. 😊

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )