Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

19 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Smithee. We have taken back control. We have all the power in these negotiations. The USA and EU need us much more than we need them. The trade negotiations will be simple. It's all there 🙂

Yup Westminster holding all the asses. I mean aces. 

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...a bit disco
11 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Fair point, it would be up to the "nugget" makers to weigh up how much getting cought using it would cost them. But I definitely get your point, i doubt that given the choice of whole, legs, breast or other chicken parts at the supermarket that it would be bought, I can see the pet food sector using it if it's cheaper.

Easier to get away with than 'horse meat in lasagne' to be fair.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

We've voted these arseholes in with a majority, they can do what they like.

What actual mechanisms do you reckon we can use to insist?

They can't do what they like. We still live in a democracy where politicians are accountable, albeit maybe not right away, no matter how big a majority they have.

Any imports of this chicken, or anything else going on with the US trade deal,  would be in the public domain, and highly damaging for the government. Make no mistake, this would be very damaging for Johnson and would still be remembered as one of his many lies, come the next election. In the meantime, the British public don't need to buy it.

What would be good, is if the Labour party sorts itself out, and provides a credible opposition to expose and challenge the government on future trade deals. Early signs are that the traditional Labour support have had enough of being run by extreme left losers and are joining up to fight back.

Is it the case, as suggested previously on here, that the Scottish government could ban chlorinated chicken in Scotland? Or just tax it, similar to alcohol minimum pricing?

Boris ripping up the political declaration part of the withdrawal agreement and is making more ludicrous demands.

Expect us to crash out with No Deal by June.

On 25/02/2020 at 19:47, CJGJ said:

Soon our Brexiteer friends may be consuming chlorinated chicken as part of a deal with mighty mouth in the States if he gets his way

Illegal immigration growing by the month as more and more boats attempt a channel crossing with few attempts to stop them now

There will not be enough people to service the needs of the population and the idiot of a home secretary with her 8 million nonsense has as much mathematical intelligence as Dianne Abbot..points based to help the rich not to help the needs of the poor

One good thing though many of those people who voted to leave and who will now find labour difficult to find to do the lower paid jobs such as picking jobs at harvest time will, with luck, go bust, the 'poor' fishermen will find things not as straight forward as they like and with luck will also see their wealth decrease and that's what they voted for

When their parents are ill and can't get even the basic help due to staff shortages we'll not hear anything from them I hope as that's what they voted for

The north of England will suddenly realise that it is no longer required in terms of it's votes and of course they won't complain as that's what they voted for

Slowly the costs of leaving will become clear..not this year but 2021 onwards

😄

2021 now before the scaremongering comes to fruition.

1 hour ago, jake said:

😄

2021 now before the scaremongering comes to fruition.

I think he was being charitable to the likes of you--anyone who's actually paying attention can see all they need to.

2 hours ago, jake said:

What are these plans for importing American chicken?

I suggest you undertake research..it's not difficult to do and if you voted to leave then I assume you are all in favour...freedom of choice wasn't it we were told

1 hour ago, Cade said:

That *was* the plan.

It's now looking like a cliff-edge crash-out No Deal in June.

Not quite. They said if nothing was agreed, or at least looked like it, by end of June they would start preparing for a no deal exit at the end of the tear

4 hours ago, Cade said:

UK to withdraw from the European Arrest Warrant.

We're to become an off-shore criminal hideout, it seems.

Do they not need to be ‘skilled’ criminals?

4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I think he was being charitable to the likes of you--anyone who's actually paying attention can see all they need to.

Was he now.

Paying attention to the UK economy outperforming France and Germany since the vote.

Were we not told that even just voting for it would see the economy collapse?

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I suggest you undertake research..it's not difficult to do and if you voted to leave then I assume you are all in favour...freedom of choice wasn't it we were told

So there are no plans ?

And as a consumer you can choose not to buy it.

If we are talking animal welfare I'd suggest that some countries belonging to the EU have some funny ideas on that.

Although I note the argument on bleached chicken when pointed out it has no effect on taste or nutrition has funnily enough become an animal welfare issue.

So are remainers all vegetarians now as the battery farms of pigs chickens and in general the treatment of animals for our consumption leave little high ground.

Mark under scary monger me thinks.

5 minutes ago, jake said:

So there are no plans ?

If we are talking animal welfare I'd suggest that some countries belonging to the EU have some funny ideas on that.

Although I note the argument on bleached chicken when pointed out it has no effect on taste or nutrition has funnily enough become an animal welfare issue.

So are remainers all vegetarians now as the battery farms of pigs chickens and in general the treatment of animals for our consumption leave little high ground.

I don't think you can complain about entrenched views when you're at least as bad yourself.

But although chlorinated chicken is the headline, the real story is much lower food standards in general. 

Not only would this be obviously bad for us, it's also an EU red line as they don't want that shite creeping in via the NI open border and would be a massive obstacle in trying to get a deal.

9 minutes ago, jake said:

So there are no plans ?

The argument is that the chlorine wash is used to cover over a multitude of issues in raising the chicken that are addressed in the EU by improved animal welfare throughout the process.

20 minutes ago, jake said:

So there are no plans ?

It was always an animal welfare issue. 

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I don't think you can complain about entrenched views when you're at least as bad yourself.

But although chlorinated chicken is the headline, the real story is much lower food standards in general. 

Not only would this be obviously bad for us, it's also an EU red line as they don't want that shite creeping in via the NI open border and would be a massive obstacle in trying to get a deal.

Mate bleached chicken doesnt sound great.

I dont fancy it myself .

But it's another bogeyman.

And no one needs to buy it.

But asides from all that I find it difficult to accept that all of a sudden the UK will turn itself into a polar opposite of what it has been.

Currently only 2 nations in Europe match the UK standards on animal welfare.

Austria and Switzerland.

France is on a par with the US .

And 3 EU nations are marked down lower than the US.

11 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I take it, the US can sue the Scottish government if they can't sell GM foods etc...

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

It was always an animal welfare issue. 

Well mate we better stop importing from a whole load of countries .

France Spain Romania Belarus Russia Turkey Greece.

1 minute ago, jake said:

Well mate we better stop importing from a whole load of countries .

France Spain Romania Belarus Russia Turkey Greece.

Fine by me, what about rUK. They're no too great either.

12 minutes ago, RobboM said:

The argument is that the chlorine wash is used to cover over a multitude of issues in raising the chicken that are addressed in the EU by improved animal welfare throughout the process.

It's used to clean chicken shit.

Which obviously points to disgusting levels of care.

I'm in no argument there.

But to use that as some kind of stick to slag of brexit voters is another example of the dumbing down of the argument.

1 minute ago, jake said:

It's used to clean chicken shit.

Which obviously points to disgusting levels of care.

I'm in no argument there.

But to use that as some kind of stick to slag of brexit voters is another example of the dumbing down of the argument.

Who was slagging Brexit voters. I raised it because farmers who voted to leave are now moaning about it. Same as the fishermen when they get overrun by our rUK cousins or sold down the river by Boris.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Fine by me, what about rUK. They're no too great either.

Actually the UK Austria and Switzerland are the only European nations with marked as A.

New Zealand A.

Germany B

France Spain C

Romania F

Russia F

USA was C but something to do with recognising animal sentience has seen that fall to D.

Just now, ri Alban said:

Who was slagging Brexit voters. I raised it because farmers who voted to leave are now moaning about it. Same as the fishermen when they get overrun by our rUK cousins or sold down the river by Boris.

Not you mate.

Although you do like a dig.

1 minute ago, jake said:

Not you mate.

Although you do like a dig.

I'm quite relaxed bud. I don't really have an issue with leave voters unless they start their shite, like that horrible woman on QT.

Mind Madcow disease and sheep brain feed. Some A grade food quality from us.

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I'm quite relaxed bud. I don't really have an issue with leave voters unless they start their shite, like that horrible woman on QT.

Mind Madcow disease and sheep brain feed. Some A grade food quality from us.

I do mate.

Lessons learned?

Off topic the way we treat animals and our meat consumption is a disaster.

The European Unions policies on farming and food are not something it can in any way be proud of.

It's quite something that claiming what might happen is bad while defending the food policies of the EU which effect the poor disproportionately especially the third world poor.

3 minutes ago, jake said:

I do mate.

Lessons learned?

Off topic the way we treat animals and our meat consumption is a disaster.

The European Unions policies on farming and food are not something it can in any way be proud of.

It's quite something that claiming what might happen is bad while defending the food policies of the EU which effect the poor disproportionately especially the third world poor.

I agree bud. We're pretty evil to the animals. It needs to stop, clearing land for cattle etc... Is killing the planet. But I need to stop my hypocrisy on this too.

46 minutes ago, jake said:

Mate bleached chicken doesnt sound great.

I dont fancy it myself .

But it's another bogeyman.

And no one needs to buy it.

But asides from all that I find it difficult to accept that all of a sudden the UK will turn itself into a polar opposite of what it has been.

Currently only 2 nations in Europe match the UK standards on animal welfare.

Austria and Switzerland.

France is on a par with the US .

And 3 EU nations are marked down lower than the US.

I'm not talking about animal welfare, I'm talking about lower food standards and the eu refusing to deal with us because of them.

And how exactly do people avoid buying them? Not all chicken in the us is chlorinated so Made In stickers won't help, and that's before we even thinks about eating chicken that's traveled for 3000 miles.

I cant help getting the impression that the poor in this country are the only ones you don't care about.

Edited by Smithee

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I cant help getting the impression that the poor in this country are the only ones you don't care about.

Hopefully starts to get it

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

I'm not talking about animal welfare, I'm talking about lower food standards and the eu refusing to deal with us because of them.

And how exactly do people avoid buying them? Not all chicken in the us is chlorinated so Made In stickers won't help, and that's before we even thinks about eating chicken that's traveled for 3000 miles.

Wait a minute .

You may not have been stating the case for animal welfare but others cited it when it was pointed out that the chicken was equal in taste and nutrition.

Also this talk of importing from 3000 miles I totally agree with.

The movement of meat internationally sees vast amounts of deforestation.

But you criticise that as if brexit alone has delivered this.

And you are aware the EU imports chicken from South America.

I know you are not using animal welfare as an argument but its grim.

The thing about the poor is baseless and a bit cheap .

Imo

Edited by jake

The Mighty Thor

Gove caught out contradicting himself during the same 10 minute speech on the border in the Irish sea yesterday.

Its irrelevant anyway as the destination is and always has been the no deal exit. That's where the speculators will make the most money.

9 hours ago, jake said:

Wait a minute .

You may not have been stating the case for animal welfare but others cited it when it was pointed out that the chicken was equal in taste and nutrition.

Also this talk of importing from 3000 miles I totally agree with.

The movement of meat internationally sees vast amounts of deforestation.

But you criticise that as if brexit alone has delivered this.

And you are aware the EU imports chicken from South America.

I know you are not using animal welfare as an argument but its grim.

The thing about the poor is baseless and a bit cheap .

Imo

Last week you were ranting and raving about how the poor of europe need saving from immigration to the uk, how closing down immigration was good for them, save them from themselves and poor decisions.

I talk about lower food standards in this country, sonething that will affect the poor the most (M&S won't be the ones affected) and you're all "they don't have to buy it"

That's where the impression comes from, I can only judge you on what you say.

That aside, I'm talking about us lowering our food standards so US produce is allowed, which will leave us with substandard food on our shelves. Food standards are also an EU red line that would prevent a deal as they won't risk it getting into the EU via the NI/ROI border.

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Gove caught out contradicting himself during the same 10 minute speech on the border in the Irish sea yesterday.

Its irrelevant anyway as the destination is and always has been the no deal exit. That's where the speculators will make the most money.

:spoton:

47 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Last week you were ranting and raving about how the poor of europe need saving from immigration to the uk, how closing down immigration was good for them, save them from themselves and poor decisions.

I talk about lower food standards in this country, sonething that will affect the poor the most (M&S won't be the ones affected) and you're all "they don't have to buy it"

:greatpost:

And indeed, he already sacrificed the poor of this country to the Tories with his virtue signalling leave vote in order to "get it up" the establishment EU, from his comfortable position of relative privilege.

This too will be ignored. "They don't have to buy it". :lol: Yes, now that people like jake have given away so many food safety standards by voting leave, poorer folk whose food quality was lifted under EU rules will indeed suffer. They will have to buy it. These causes and effects--and there are dozens--are on the simpler end of the scale. Anyone who's taken more than two seconds to reflect on the impact of Brexit should ascertain them immediately. To see them handwaved away by "as a consumer you don't have to buy it" exposes the superficiality of thought at play, and how hopeless it would be to even try to discuss the deeper issues. He simply won't have it. The anti-reality political era in full swing. Imagine.

But fear not Smithee, it's the likes of you and me that don't get it.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

That aside, I'm talking about us lowering our food standards so US produce is allowed, which will leave us with substandard food on our shelves. Food standards are also an EU red line that would prevent a deal as they won't risk it getting into the EU via the NI/ROI border.

Good post.

9 hours ago, Smithee said:

:spoton:

Ranting and raving ?

Last week I would I think have been arguing the case about freedom of movement .

I did not talk about saving anyone from themselves.

I've made my points many times about why I think freedom of movement is not what it's made out to be mate.

Theres no need for your slant which isnt true of what my posts are.

If we are talking about food as a whole or are we just to cherry pick the things which you think may be affected by brexit?

People are informed.

The chicken which comes from the US has the same taste and nutrition.

There is no lowering of standards on that.

Where I agree with other posters is the treatment of the animals.

But the EU falls as short .

I agree with you about ridiculous trade regarding the distance of import.

Again the EU also falls short.

So again I shall point out to simply blame brexit for MAY having a lowering simply does not marry in with what's currently going on.

Basically its scare mongering.

8 minutes ago, jake said:

Ranting and raving ?

Last week I would I think have been arguing the case about freedom of movement .

I've made my points many times about why I think freedom of movement is not what it's made out to be mate.

If we are talking about food as a whole or are we just to cherry pick the things which you think may be affected by brexit?

People are informed.

So again I shall point out to simply blame brexit for MAY having a lowering simply does not marry in with what's currently going on.

Ah, really?

https://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/endcruelty/changingthelaw/brexit

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

:greatpost:

And indeed, he already sacrificed the poor of this country to the Tories with his virtue signalling leave vote in order to "get it up" the establishment EU, from his comfortable position of relative privilege.

This too will be ignored. "They don't have to buy it". :lol: Yes, now that people like jake have given away so many food safety standards by voting leave, poorer folk whose food quality was lifted under EU rules will indeed suffer. They will have to buy it. These causes and effects--and there are dozens--are on the simpler end of the scale. Anyone who's taken more than two seconds to reflect on the impact of Brexit should ascertain them immediately. To see them handwaved away by "as a consumer you don't have to buy it" exposes the superficiality of thought at play, and how hopeless it would be to even try to discuss the deeper issues. He simply won't have it. The anti-reality political era in full swing. Imagine.

But fear not Smithee, it's the likes of you and me that don't get it.

They dont have to buy it though.

But if they do there will be no difference in taste or nutrition.

If they dont it may be because they dont like the animal welfare practices.

You are trying yourself in knots trying to put me down.

You resort to name calling but dont address the argument.

That's fine .

It's a common occurrence regarding your posts.

I dont mind arguing my views with people .

You go around this board I've noticed putting those down who hold a different view .

That's bigotry .

I used to like arguing points with you but its tiresome the insults .

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

France scores the same as the US up until recently and that's down to animal sentience not being recognised.

The EU has trade agreements for the import of meat from South America.

Most South American countries score E or less.

The UK currently scores A.

Why are we assuming we will drop standards when we currently outperform every European country apart from Austria and Switzerland?

The link you posted is a warning from the RSPCA .

And that's good .

There is no argument from me about animal welfare or high standards .

But the posts on here would lead you to believe that these standards are guarenteed to fall.

And the insinuation that brexit will be bad for animal welfare is not only misleading but fails to recognise what's actually happening regarding that presently.

Also it would be nice if Justin stopped litering his posts with references to me 

Being a tory

Being hoodwinked by tories

Being an away with it conspiracy nut

A racist

Not understanding

Thick

Etc etc.

Argue my points.

Belittling me with these phrases constantly  and ganging up with other posters and generally being a snide Kent is feeble stuff.

Stems back to another thread which he couldnt find a cohesive argument so resorted to the old racist gig.

Nippy as fek

18 minutes ago, jake said:

They dont have to buy it though.

But if they do there will be no difference in taste or nutrition.

If they dont it may be because they dont like the animal welfare practices.

You are trying yourself in knots trying to put me down.

You resort to name calling but dont address the argument.

That's fine .

It's a common occurrence regarding your posts.

I dont mind arguing my views with people .

You go around this board I've noticed putting those down who hold a different view .

That's bigotry .

I used to like arguing points with you but its tiresome the insults .

Utterly owned, you flail and make up namecalling that didn't happen--and cry bigotry no less--because your position has been so comprehensively laid bare for the shambles it is.

You have earned this reception. Your snide remarks about hypocrisy, your pretension that you are so much wiser and more virtuous than those who didn't or wouldn't vote exactly as you did, self-appointed as the saviour and protector of the working class. Laughable, and shown to be tripe by plenty of others, least of all me. Or in the other thread you mentioned, where you threw an entire race and religion under a bus for the actions of a few of their members and didn't like having that called what it is: A racist double standard in no way supported by the man whose work, and words, you tried to latch onto.

So vacuous is your argumentation that your only remaining resort is accusing me of bigotry. Well if by bigotry you mean intolerance of hateful, half-assed, ignorant opinion, then I'm proudly guilty as charged. Enjoy your pretend moral high ground. Or be a man and admit you don't have a yard of it to stand on, having always been the one to arrogantly prance about like you know better than everyone else, but never possessing the nous or knowledge to back it up. Your comeuppance has long since arrived--having the light you've projected shined back on you hasn't been fun I'm sure, but handling it like a bairn is hardly the way to go. So stop crying, resolve to do better, and get on with it.

48 minutes ago, jake said:

Ranting and raving ?

People are informed.

https://fullfact.org/europe/usa-trade-food-standards/

For us to get a deal with the us we have to lower our regulatory food standards. This isn't imaginary, "it might be worse", it'll be in black and white that we accept shit that isn't currently legally acceptable. 

The EU will not accept food that doesn't meet their regulatory standards, which is everything after we lower our regulatory standards, because we aren't working to their standards any more.

And because they don't want an NI open border allowing substandard food in through the back door they won't do a deal, leaving us with no deal.

And finally, if you don't want to be seen as a hypocrite, stop being so hypocritical. "They don't need to buy it" said no working class hero, ever.

@Smithee and @Justin Z absolutely cleaning house in here. Good to see, enjoyed that very much.

Some people are so small minded and insular. Be a shame to lose you Justin, but something tells me we won’t completely. Maybe an independent Scotland will be more welcoming to those who want to start a life here and contribute society. 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )