Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Montgomery Brewster
8 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Boris first appearance at the dispatch box will be a must watch popcorn moment. He’ll get slaughtered and rightly so. That’s if he is PM. 

Popcorn sales will be going through the roof. 

Election coming now. 21/11 looks likely

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

In retrospect was John Majors prorogation also unlawful? Slightly off topic I know. Is prorogation now a poisoned chalice for any PM to try and use?

He shut it down for three weeks just before the New Labour landslide.

Yes, he shut it down to stifle the "cash for questions" debacle.

But at least it was partly normal as there was a GE already tabled.

He just shut it down early.

He paid for that with his job.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

She actually said "we  are not questioning the motives". That is about failure of government to put forward the reasons in a statement which I think badly harmed their case. 

I think she meant that the Government's actual reasons for the prorogation weren't examined or questioned - they don't matter. But the fact that no sufficient reason was put forward for the prorogation must logically bring into question, outwith the court, the Government's motives for doing so.

Och, it's all semantics anyway. We all know why the Government did what they did.

1 minute ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Vote of no confidence > temporary government to put through Brexit extension > general election.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think she meant that the Government's actual reasons for the prorogation weren't examined or questioned - they don't matter. But the fact that no sufficient reason was put forward for the prorogation must logically bring into question, outwith the court, the Government's motives for doing so.

Och, it's all semantics anyway. We all know why the Government did what they did.

Absolutely 

Parliament could force them to give reasons. Also they voted for all the papers/ advice to be published and Government has refused. They will be forced to. 

That then raises all sorts of issues. Timing of what was revealed in the Court of Session case suggests Boris lied to Parliament.

Edited by Mikey1874

6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

In retrospect was John Majors prorogation also unlawful? Slightly off topic I know. Is prorogation now a poisoned chalice for any PM to try and use?

There will always be prorogation - it is part of the workings of Parliament. Unreasonable prorogation looks to be a dead duck now though, and any future prorogations will be scrutinised for their "reasonableness".

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Absolutely 

Parliament could force them to give reasons. Also they voted for all the papers/ advice to be published and Government has refused. They will be forced to. 

That then raises all sorts of issues. 

I hadn't thought of that. It could prove very interesting.

Just now, redjambo said:

I hadn't thought of that. It could prove very interesting.

As per my edit papers released to Court of Session suggests Boris lied to Parliament.

Boris has clearly been emboldened by trump's willingness and ability to ignore the rules and do what he wants, it gives some hope that that the rules are still being enforced. 

Just now, Gashauskis9 said:

Indy views aside, I think she’s an absolute superstar.

Once today's interviews are all done and dusted and she finally gets home, I hope she kicks off her shoes and enjoys that well-deserved glass of wine.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Once today's interviews are all done and dusted and she finally gets home, I hope she kicks off her shoes and enjoys that well-deserved glass of wine.

She’ll never pay for another drink while I’m in the vicinity.  Her efforts won’t be forgotten.

Just now, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

They should be jailed. Seeing as we can't execute the toffs. 

There certainly should be consequences for those who unlawfully attempt to close parliament

His key advisers were Cummings and JRM.

Surely if Boris doesn't resign, their heads should go?

And can the Queen suggest to Johnson the next time they meet her displeasure at his advisers ergo if he doesn't go, they should?

Edited by DETTY29

20 minutes ago, Montgomery Brewster said:

Won't happen in the near future as PM has been prevented from calling one by the so called democratic Parliament

Brighton Jambo

Well this should see the back of Cummings at the very least, too many people will love the opportunity to make him a scapegoat.

boris should resign, he won’t, shambles.  

Fair play to the Scottish Legal System who called it first (and of course the woman who raised the case).

He has lied to the Queen, that for me is the ultimate and he cannot ever recover from this - OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Just now, Armageddon said:

Fair play to the Scottish Legal System who called it first (and of course the woman who raised the case).

He has lied to the Queen, that for me is the ultimate and he cannot ever recover from this - OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

Nah .... start with his bollocks 🙂

2 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Well this should see the back of Cummings at the very least, too many people will love the opportunity to make him a scapegoat.

boris should resign, he won’t, shambles.  

When Parliament forces Government to publish all the advice from advisers which they voted for and Government has refused to do, then Cummings will  likely be in a very difficult position.

Just now, Cade said:

Mail, Telegraph and Express headlines will be a declaration of civil war

pricks

I'll be interested to see how they lead with it. Usually the "rule of law" is one of the foundations on which they argue their politics. Will they cross the boundary and actually criticise a unanimous decision from the Supreme Court?

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Mail, Telegraph and Express headlines will be a declaration of civil war

pricks

They need to have a good think first.

Being calm about it is a better move. 

Boris 'do or die' approach not helped by going after courts. Since his approach will see us back at Supreme Court. 

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Link please I want to enjoy?

At least one big relief in the Brexit saga: the rule of law in the UK is alive & kicking. Parliaments should never be silenced in a real democracy. I never want to hear Boris Johnson or any other Brexiteer say again that the European Union is undemocratic.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Andrew Tice interview quite good. Staying calm. 

They’re having to do some clever manoeuvring today.  They’re in a good position to benefit from the news as much as the remain camp.

Just now, Cade said:

Tory whips demanding that no Tory MP or party member says anything about this ruling either in the media or on social media

:turmoil:

Just as well there are 21 ex MPs then 

18 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I'll be interested to see how they lead with it. Usually the "rule of law" is one of the foundations on which they argue their politics. Will they cross the boundary and actually criticise a unanimous decision from the Supreme Court?

Unanimous decision may change stance but previous Millar majority case, the lords were enemies of the people.

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

Tory whips demanding that no Tory MP or party member says anything about this ruling either in the media or on social media

Getting more like the SNP every day

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Facepalms all round

What a shocking three years this has been. Honestly. I doubt parliament will truly recover from all this, or not for years

1 minute ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Getting more like the SNP every day

😂😂😂😂😂. Well done on the first SNP bad post since the liar BJ was found out

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

:D They just have no idea. It's like telling people not to breathe (let alone being anti-free speech and, by extension, anti-democratic).

26 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

They’re having to do some clever manoeuvring today.  They’re in a good position to benefit from the news as much as the remain camp.

Farage laying into Johnson and Cummings too. 

That election alliance not looking good.

Edited by Mikey1874

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Farage laying into Johnson and Cummings too. 

He’s been hoping for this moment. Opens the door to hardcore Brexit voters 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )