Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 hours ago, frankblack said:

Its that or a no deal Brexit in October.  Ball is in EU's court.

In addition, if parliament doesn't vote for a deal we leave in October on a no deal.

I know. That's why won't budge. 

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

doctor jambo

I don't get why the NI border is OUR problem to sort out.

It is as much ROI's issue.

We can just leave and the EU will have to sort it out, or we just leave it open- allowing the passage of excellent quality goods from the EU into our BrexUK, and allowing hormone beef, chlorine chicken and dodgy cack to flood into the EU from our side.

Happy days!

EU shuts the border to prevent this and its no longer our fault that GFE has been fecked

Ibrahim Tall
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

I don't get why the NI border is OUR problem to sort out.

It is as much ROI's issue.

We can just leave and the EU will have to sort it out, or we just leave it open- allowing the passage of excellent quality goods from the EU into our BrexUK, and allowing hormone beef, chlorine chicken and dodgy cack to flood into the EU from our side.

Happy days!

EU shuts the border to prevent this and its no longer our fault that GFE has been fecked

We’re ‘leaving’ though not Ireland, what you’ve described is a bit like walking out on your wife and then blaming her for changing the locks afterwards. ?

doctor jambo
Just now, Ibrahim Tall said:

We’re ‘leaving’ though not Ireland, what you’ve described is a bit like walking out on your wife and then blaming her for changing the locks afterwards. ?

Seems reasonable to me!

but re the border - free trade is possible, we are not in schengen anyway. 

The rest is not a biggy.

Jaysus feckin christ

It's our problem because we chose to leave. 

We also chose to leave the customs union.

Meaning we chose to have a border.

But we also signed the Good Friday Agreement which prohibits a hard border.

It's up to us to square that circle and propose how the new border will work within those contadictary constraints.

The hated backstop is the legal default position which sorts it out if we can't come up with a solid plan (which we haven't).

It's not the EU's fault if the squabbling UK parties cannot agree on what to do.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
43 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Seems reasonable to me!

but re the border - free trade is possible, we are not in schengen anyway. 

The rest is not a biggy.

I suppose it's because the Irish want to remain, much like Scotland does. But we're being forced to leave, despite half the union wanting to remain. 

4 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I suppose it's because the Irish want to remain, much like Scotland does. But we're being forced to leave, despite half the union wanting to remain. 

FFS You don't quite understand how referendums work, do you?

Scotland and NI did not hold a Brexit referendum.

5 hours ago, Cade said:

Jaysus feckin christ

It's our problem because we chose to leave. 

We also chose to leave the customs union.

Meaning we chose to have a border.

But we also signed the Good Friday Agreement which prohibits a hard border.

It's up to us to square that circle and propose how the new border will work within those contadictary constraints.

The hated backstop is the legal default position which sorts it out if we can't come up with a solid plan (which we haven't).

It's not the EU's fault if the squabbling UK parties cannot agree on what to do.

No.

It's up to us and the EU to respect democracy.

It is after all the premise of which we have dropped thousands of bombs.

Yet we cant defend this and find a way through because of legality and the violence of very few people.

You are right about squabbles amongst our politic.

That's been spanered by those who will do and say anything to avoid leaving.

I cant understand those who fail to see that leaving the EU is and has been thwarted by and from the most powerful.

12 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Referendums are a view expressed on a particular topic.

Theres no doubt the regional difference.

That has to be acknowledged.

Democracy is a reflection I respect even though it may not suit my views.

So this ISDS the EU are roughshodding through?

Is this the same crack that involves big business having through European precedent over national law.

Putting our NHS in the same peril as leaving?

Or is the EU just a big cuddly teddy bear that doesnt serve big wealth first?

11 minutes ago, jake said:

So this ISDS the EU are roughshodding through?

Is this the same crack that involves big business having through European precedent over national law.

Putting our NHS in the same peril as leaving?

Or is the EU just a big cuddly teddy bear that doesnt serve big wealth first?

I don't disagree, completely, Jake. But why does Scotland always have to cut themselves of from Europe every time England says so. It happened in 1707 and it's happening again.

Edited by ri Alban

15 minutes ago, jake said:

Referendums are a view expressed on a particular topic.

Theres no doubt the regional difference.

That has to be acknowledged.

The regional difference is irrelevant in a referendum scoped at UK level in the same way as say Shetland voting No in a Scottish Indy referendum if Yes won (as improbable as that is).

Democracy is a reflection I respect even though it may not suit my views.

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't disagree, completely, Jake. But why does Scotland always have to cut themselves of from Europe every time England says so. It happened in 1707 and it's happening again.

We have to break the union with England if we dont want to abide by that union.

In the meantime that union wishes to break from another union.

Maybe England has balls Scotland doesnt ?

4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The regional difference is irrelevant in a referendum scoped at UK level in the same way as say Shetland voting No in a Scottish Indy referendum if Yes won (as improbable as that is).

No it's not.

It may make no difference in the direction immediately but it's another indication that Scotland must self govern.

We have to break the union with England if we dont want to abide by that union.

In the meantime that union wishes to break from another union.

Maybe England has balls Scotland doesnt ?

Probably!

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Shetland is Scotland, Scotland isn't England. Scotland owns Shetland. The claim of rights will be used quite soon, btw.

34 minutes ago, jake said:

No it's not.

It may make no difference in the direction immediately but it's another indication that Scotland must self govern.

No.  Scotland decided to stay in the UK so it isn't any indication of anything  as there is no direct connection with the issues.

17 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No.  Scotland decided to stay in the UK so it isn't any indication of anything  as there is no direct connection with the issues.

Scotland has voted differently to England for much of my life.

It is fundamentally connected with these issues.

5 minutes ago, jake said:

Scotland has voted differently to England for much of my life.

It is fundamentally connected with these issues.

It really isn't.  The issue here is that the SNP are scared shitless that they will never win an Indy vote if we have left the EU, and bumping their gums big time.

This might also be the last parliament for a while at Holyrood where Nationalists hold a controlling majority.

Edited by frankblack

29 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It really isn't.  The issue here is that the SNP are scared shitless that they will never win an Indy vote if we have left the EU, and bumping their gums big time.

This might also be the last parliament for a while at Holyrood where Nationalists hold a controlling majority.

:rofl:

This will be the last devolved parliament. And by default, the nationalists will be no more. Other than the wee minority Britnatz. But that's fine I'm sure they'll GTF and gie's all peace.

33 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Tell us how you voted Yes again! :rofl:

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

This will be the last devolved parliament. And by default, the nationalists will be no more. Other than the wee minority Britnatz. But that's fine I'm sure they'll GTF and gie's all peace.

It will be glorious to come on here after the next Holyrood election, when the Nats lose control of Holyrood and Indy Ref 2 goes down the toilet.  It will be proper tears and snotters from the Nats on here when reality finally sinks in.

:verysmug:

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

It will be glorious to come on here after the next Holyrood election, when the Nats lose control of Holyrood and Indy Ref 2 goes down the toilet.  It will be proper tears and snotters from the Nats on here when reality finally sinks in.

:verysmug:

Indyref2 will be this year. Claim of rights.

Thanks for confirming you have never been pro independence. 

Funny, I thought trolling wasn't allowed. Maybe it's only certain folk.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Indyref2 will be this year. Claim of rights.

Thanks for confirming you have never been pro independence. 

Funny, I thought trolling wasn't allowed. Maybe it's only certain folk.

Trolling?  You post nonsense proclamations on every and any thread about Indy happening imminently like above when there is zero possibility of Indy Ref 2 this year. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
13 hours ago, frankblack said:

My country voted to remain. I only want what my country voted for. 

13 hours ago, jake said:

I cant understand those who fail to see that leaving the EU is and has been thwarted by and from the most powerful.

That's why the Tory party are now out in the open flashing their leave credentials?

Who exactly are these "most powerful" that are thwarting Brexit?

What you fail to understand is that those espousing Brexit had no idea or plan on how to actually implement it!

Single market, customs union, no deal etc - they can't make up their minds.  Equally, from the CBI to Trades Unions to economic experts, there is one common theme - Brexit, in whatever shape or form, will result in an economic shock, lower living standards etc.

So the party who are now trying to out Brexit the Brexit Party, who have always been the ally of business, now find themselves with a serious quandry.  Taking the populist path would be reckless for the economy, taking the prudent route would destroy their standing with the "masses" (as they see it).

Without re-running the referendum campaign, the benefits of leaving still look rather spurious.  Slogans like "take back control", "regain our sovereignty" are a complete nonsense and when the mechanisms of the EU are looked at, are in many ways falsehoods.

This is not about any of those things.  Primarily this is about Tory Party politics, and perhaps a dislike of proposed new EU legislation on tightening up tax loopholes, off-shore tax havens.  The "masses" may feel they are being taken to a promised land, but they are being duped by the Tory Party.  And will pay the price for their hubris.

15 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

My country voted to remain. I only want what my country voted for. 

No they didn't.  There was only one country on the ballot paper - United Kingdom - who voted collectively to leave.

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, frankblack said:

No they didn't.  There was only one country on the ballot paper - United Kingdom - who voted collectively to leave.

Good post Frank , 

In a union of equals, some are more equal than others.  But those were the rules, as gerrymandered as they were.

Just now, Boris said:

In a union of equals, some are more equal than others.  But those were the rules, as gerrymandered as they were.

Fair opinion.  I am still unconvinced Brexit will happen, but god help us if Boris is PM.

Fair opinion.  I am still unconvinced Brexit will happen, but god help us if Boris is PM.

I don't know, I reckon I'd have a good go at it!

Oh, you mean that Boris?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I looked at the Scottish result. It was considerably higher than those wanting to stay in the UK. 

5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Trolling?  You post nonsense proclamations on every and any thread about Indy happening imminently like above when there is zero possibility of Indy Ref 2 this year. 

:D

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

One state, 4 countries.

I looked at the Scottish result. It was considerably higher than those wanting to stay in the UK. 

There wasn't a Scottish result.  It was a UK referendum.

Trapper John McIntyre
5 hours ago, frankblack said:

Aussie is the Steve 'Stop Brexit' man of JKB.

11 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Aussie is the Steve 'Stop Brexit' man of JKB.

I wouldn't really bother if Scotland wasn't a full member of the EU post indy. You on the other hand are fully fledged brexiteer who denies his own country the same. A Michael Govian!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
59 minutes ago, frankblack said:

There wasn't a Scottish result.  It was a UK referendum.

62%.

Which only goes to further prove that the UK is not a union of equals but the English Empire

The democratic deficit is real

Trapper John McIntyre
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I wouldn't really bother if Scotland wasn't a full member of the EU post indy. You on the other hand are fully fledged brexiteer who denies his own country the same. A Michael Govian!

Whatever you say, Steve.

Rather a Rory Stewartian actually.

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

1 hour ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Whatever you say, Steve.

Rather a Rory Stewartian actually.

Keysies Jye, i don't want to argue today. It's ma birthday, and I've 28 cans and 6 2 litre bottles of Cider to tan. :rofl: I'm supposed to be aff the drink.

Harry Potter
40 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Be more funny if we get a 2nd indy ref, democracy out the window.  lets keep voting till its a yes, aye very good.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Be more funny if we get a 2nd indy ref, democracy out the window.  lets keep voting till its a yes, aye very good.

So if a majority vote for independence that’s somehow undemocratic????

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

:spoton:

14 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

There would need to be an agreement with the government to hold Indy 2, and there is no sign of that happening this parliament or next.

The only glimmer of a chance would be a hung parliament with Labour short of a majority but that depends on Corbyn staying in charge, which may change before then.

62%.

Your maths is a bit wonky pal.  If remain had 62% of the UK referendum they would have won it.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )