Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

About a million non Scots live in Scotland.

And so many if not most of them are (albeit "disputably") racist. I suppose it's a downside of being such an open, welcoming, society that our native and inherent goodness is diluted by all these foreigners?

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Francis Albert

A lot more than 2% of the population have no interest in politics. If all they have to go on is the name of the party it is hardly surprising the name Brexit doesn't tell them whether it is pro or anti-Brexit.

I assume the poll was not restricted to voters. If so it is some of the interpretations of the results that display ... well stupidity.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

In the specific instance  here, we’re talking about people who don’t know UKIP are anti-EU, so it’s fairly easy to just ask a couple of key questions on the way into the polling station,  then tear up their polling card. In a broader sense though, aye you’re right, it’s a nightmare to manage fairly.

I assumed when I saw the poll that some people took the piss and answered what they knew was incorrect just to screw with the person asking the question. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Edited by redjambo

Bindy Badgy
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I assumed when I saw the poll that some people took the piss and answered what they knew was incorrect just to screw with the person asking the question. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

"I didn't care who won as long as it wasn't the Conservatives so I put a big cross next to their name".

Jambo-Jimbo
4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

In the specific instance  here, we’re talking about people who don’t know UKIP are anti-EU, so it’s fairly easy to just ask a couple of key questions on the way into the polling station,  then tear up their polling card. In a broader sense though, aye you’re right, it’s a nightmare to manage fairly.

So if someone gives the wrong answer they don't get to vote, how is that a free & fair election, it isn't imo, and it's a very small step from there to preventing people voting because they are going to vote for the wrong party, before long you have a 100% turn out and a 100% victory for 'dear leader'.

You mention some people not knowing that Ukip is an anti-EU party, the same poll shows that some people think the SNP are a pro-brexit party, there are stupid people on every side.

I've already said this before, on this thread I think, that one of my neighbours voted to 'remain', when I asked him his reasons why, his reply was "because the SNP said so", anyway long story short it transpired that he didn't really know much about the EU, he knew it was an organisation and that we were members of it, and the rest of his knowledge you could write on the back of a definitive sized postage stamp, so he voted to remain in an organisation that he had a very limited knowledge or understanding about, like I said there are stupid people on all sides, but they are still entitled to a vote and rightly so imo.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

Jambo-Jimbo
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Aye, ok. Let's give the Tories even more of an uneven playing field. Only the upper class of privately educated scumbags get to vote, while the UK government educates the working class into stupidity. Hold on...

Just over 100 years ago on the 6 February 1918 a law was passed which gave all men over the age of 21 and women the right to vote, before that date it was only men who owned property who were allowed to vote, so this pretty much excluded most of the population, and like you said favoured the upper class, I don't think anyone wants a return to those days, surely.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just over 100 years ago on the 6 February 1918 a law was passed which gave all men over the age of 21 and women the right to vote, before that date it was only men who owned property who were allowed to vote, so this pretty much excluded most of the population, and like you said favoured the upper class, I don't think anyone wants a return to those days, surely.

I think the suggestion was about prescribing a minimum level.of intelligence or (which amounts to much the same thing for those who would define it) education. As you say surely no-one actually thinks that would be a good idea?

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

I think the suggestion was about prescribing a minimum level.of intelligence or (which amounts to much the same thing for those who would define it) education. As you say surely no-one actually thinks that would be a good idea?

The only criteria to vote. Taxation. Don't pay(the correct amount) we take it away. Then the working class will have all the say.

Governor Tarkin

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The only criteria to vote. Taxation. Don't pay(the correct amount) we take it away. Then the working class will have all the say.

Are you suggesting the working class are the only folk that pay any tax? 

Would you class taxpayers who fall in to the 41% - 46% bracket as working class? 

Where do you draw the line? 

37 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Are you suggesting the working class are the only folk that pay any tax? 

Would you class taxpayers who fall in to the 41% - 46% bracket as working class? 

Where do you draw the line? 

Tax evaders/avoiders. Everyone else works for a living. Oh and save me the 41% pity pish. They don't pay 41 percent on all earnings only over the threshold.

Maybe it should be 65% on all earnings over £25000. Then we'd be just about right . 

Edited by ri Alban

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Tax evaders/avoiders. Everyone else works for a living. Oh and save me the 41% pity pish. They don't pay 41 percent on all earnings only over the threshold.

Maybe it should be 65% on all earnings over £25000. Then we'd be just about right . 

There's cutting off your nose to spite your face, and then there's this.

1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

And there's being a selfish greedy Barsteward. 

Governor Tarkin
47 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Over 25 grand is a greedy *******?

:lol:

Gimmie a ****in break. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Inverse snobbery. 

Some folk cant stand the thought that intelligent, hard working people have the right to do well for themselves. 

Lower the higher rate of tax but close all loopholes and make tax avoidance illegal like tax evasion is.

The UK has one of the most complex tax systems in the world and needs serious reform.

Simples.

Edited by Cade

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, Cade said:

Lower the higher rate of tax but close all loopholes and make tax avoidance illegal like tax evasion is.

The UK has one of the most complex tax systems in the world and needs serious reform.

Simples.

:spoton:

The Mighty Thor
51 minutes ago, Cade said:

Simples.

This.

The actions of individuals and organisations on aggressive tax avoidance are reprehensible.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Inverse snobbery. 

Some folk cant stand the thought that intelligent, hard working people have the right to do well for themselves.

But come on mate, HMRC just has to squeeze an extra twenty quid out of Declan fae Erskine because he makes £25,200 per annum and that'll solve all our budgetary problems.

P.S. I promise I made this post before I saw your post about my vernacular comprehension :rofl:

Edited by Justin Z

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

But come on mate, HMRC just has to squeeze an extra twenty quid out of Declan fae Erskine because he makes £25,200 per annum and that'll solve all our budgetary problems.

Declan fae Erskine should forfeit his entire salary for being a Celtic *******. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Simples.

Absolutely. Even the late Anthony Wedgwood Benn, hero of Jeremy and the left made sure his very large estate was passed intact to his children through trusts and other tax avoidance schemes. Another "Tony" and his wife will no doubt be similarly adept.

Any individual can leave half a million and any couple a million tax free yet even so the pips squeal whenever "death taxes" are used as a means of addressing ever growing wealth inequalities.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This is a fair point. Maybe I should've used Alistair fae Milngavie as an example.

Oh wait

frankblack
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Simples.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there problems with doing that due to the rules of being in the EU, where there are rules with registering tax bases that let companies use little countries to host phony offices that they funnel their money through?

Someone else might be able to word this correctly, but I think that is the big problem.  Then you have tax havens such as the British Virgin Islands which we really should stop.  Somehow I think this doesn't happen due to political donations from party benefactors...

Governor Tarkin
49 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

This is a fair point. Maybe I should've used Alistair fae Milngavie as an example.

Oh wait

Correct. 

Alistair fae Milngavie will be on the top rate already. 

As an aside, Milngavie is quite a nice spot. Usually start the West Highland Way from there (at 6am in the pishing rain). 

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

That's a shocking assumption... a Celtic fan with a job.

Governor Tarkin
34 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's a shocking assumption... a Celtic fan with a job.

Justin Z is still is still in the early stages of his cultural assimilation, Alphonse.

I thought it charitable to turn a blind eye to his glaring oversight on this one occasion.

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Over 25 grand is a greedy *******?

:lol:

Gimmie a ****in break. 

No, but hey. As you were.

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Inverse snobbery. 

Who said that. Mostly the working class do well for themselves and others. Others like your heroes Boris and Mogg , well... 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No, but hey. As you were.

Who said that. Mostly the working class do well for themselves and others. Others like your heroes Boris and Mogg , well... 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Oh and save me the 41% pity pish. They don't pay 41 percent on all earnings only over the threshold.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The view from here is of one big chip on one big shoulder, Ri.

(p.s. sorry about the multi quote thing. I ****ing hate when smug *******s on here do it and I'm not proud of myself for doing it here)

:(

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Justin Z is still is still in the early stages of his cultural assimilation, Alphonse.

I thought it charitable to turn a blind eye to his glaring oversight on this one occasion.

:lol: I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your approach here

On 04/05/2019 at 11:47, ri Alban said:

Or Europes are more honest. As the saying goes, Not all leave voters are racist (Disputed), but all racists are leave voters.

Aussie.

The most honest polls you can get are actual elections.

I'd invite you to look at most European parliaments make up.

Also look at Scotlands attitudes.

The Mighty Thor

So the Euro elections are a goer says David Lidington.

Carnage for the Tories and Farage/Yaxley-Lennon to never be off the front pages or TV.

For fecks sake.

Newsnight rolling out Heseltine as some sort of magnanimous wise man against Brexit.

Is there an ounce of integrity in the remain cause?

This guy is the epitome of upper class political opportunist.

I wont bother listing his shit.

But for him to claim country before party is laughable.

Project fear back on full.

Rolling out heavy on the BBC.

To be honest I wish they would just cancel Brexit now.

Because it's obvious the elite will over rule us uneducated racist plebs.

And while we are at it just abandon voting because its apparent that only the right result will be met with approval by oxbridge and its mechanics.

These current happenings mean there will never be independence for Scotland regardless of any vote.

That nothing will stop the ecological disaster that awaits us.

The EU is the preservation of the elite.

And Brexit is a microcosm of the place we are in.

What's preposterous is that liberal politics is facilitating it.

Upside down

What a prophet Orwell turned out to be with his 1984 book.

Meanwhile in Greece.

60% youth unemployment.

60% .

Aye the EU .

Some on here greet about Torie austerity to face off the benefits of the EU.

40% youth unemployment in Spain Portugal Italy.

French police acting like a militia for months

Parliaments across Europe making ours look like Greenpeace.

Germany abdixating responsibility for their immigration policy .

And yet there is people especially on the left that advocate remaining in a club that over sees this.

Can understand the right.

Especially the hard right.

They are gaining.

6 hours ago, jake said:

Meanwhile in Greece.

60% youth unemployment.

60% .

Aye the EU .

And yet there is people especially on the left that advocate remaining in a club that over sees this.

They are gaining.

60%? Uv whit? Gies some nummers, Jake.

Thay French, whit thay lik. Aye, the same!

An there it is. Quhen sumboody gaes oan a rant, thair agenda appears. Immigration of Muslims!!!!!!

As fur the faur richt. That's bene driven by the expats fae ingland. If ye kin tauk shite, sae kin A.

Wan last thyng. Ye dae realise the UK is still a memmer a the EU, an hus bene daen nothyng excep tak pairt n austerity acroass the EU. 

:leveinproblem:

Edited by ri Alban

Jambo-Jimbo
10 hours ago, jake said:

Meanwhile in Greece.

60% youth unemployment.

It was 60% but that was back in February 2013, it is now around about 39.7% (January 2019).

https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/youth-unemployment-rate

Still way too high at 39% and Spain & Italy aren't that far behind Greece now, with Spanish youth unemployment at 33.7% (Mar 19) & Italy at 32.8% (Feb 19).  The UK in comparism is around the 10% youth unemployement mark (Jan 19).

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

10 hours ago, jake said:

For fecks sake.

Newsnight rolling out Heseltine as some sort of magnanimous wise man against Brexit.

Is there an ounce of integrity in the remain cause?

This guy is the epitome of upper class political opportunist.

I wont bother listing his shit.

But for him to claim country before party is laughable.

He did when he was a minister.  Heseltine is still an opportunistic shitehawk, imo, but he stuck to his guns over Westland and trying to protect British industry.

10 hours ago, jake said:

Project fear back on full.

Rolling out heavy on the BBC.

To be honest I wish they would just cancel Brexit now.

Because it's obvious the elite will over rule us uneducated racist plebs.

The BBC that has given Farage an unmerited platform for the last four or five years?

10 hours ago, jake said:

And while we are at it just abandon voting because its apparent that only the right result will be met with approval by oxbridge and its mechanics.

Correct.  Look at all those Oxbridge types trying to change rules so they can bin the PM because they don't like the result and are hamstrung until December.

Can't rerun what was a crooked referendum, but CAN bring the same vote to the commons 4 times, and want to change electoral rules in the Tory Party as they don't like the result.  Sounds like hypocrisy to me.

10 hours ago, jake said:

These current happenings mean there will never be independence for Scotland regardless of any vote.

Why does it?  Scotland gaining independence and Brexit shouldn't be conflated as they are completely different things.

10 hours ago, jake said:

That nothing will stop the ecological disaster that awaits us.

At last some sense! :thumb:

10 hours ago, jake said:

The EU is the preservation of the elite.

No it isn't.  Check out the Brexit vanguard to see the real elite in this country.  You're being done up like a kipper Jake.

10 hours ago, jake said:

And Brexit is a microcosm of the place we are in.

Not sure what this means.

10 hours ago, jake said:

What's preposterous is that liberal politics is facilitating it.

Um, again, not sure what you are meaning here.

10 hours ago, jake said:

Upside down

What a prophet Orwell turned out to be with his 1984 book.

More prophetic once the Farages of this world get anywhere near the levers of power.

10 hours ago, jake said:

Meanwhile in Greece.

60% youth unemployment.

60% .

Aye the EU .

It's the EU's fault because...?  If the rich Greeks had paid their taxes then their economy may not have crashed?  You seem to be conflating the Eu with the Eurozone?  Separate things Jake.

10 hours ago, jake said:

Tory austerity was/is unecessary, but we are still in the Eu but doing so well.  How can that be???

10 hours ago, jake said:

Is it the EU's fault these countries governments are corrupt?

French police are pretty much a militia anyway.

No idea regards environmental policies in rest of EU, although the Germans are not too bad aren't they?

Germany abdicating responsibility for its immigration policy?  How so?

10 hours ago, jake said:

They are gaining.

You understand the far right?  Better get your brown (or black) shirt ironed and your jackboots polished then Jake.

Francis Albert
20 minutes ago, Boris said:

No idea regards environmental policies in rest of EU, although the Germans are not too bad aren't they?

Since Merkel's decision a few years back to phase out nuclear power, nuclear has been replaced by coal which produces over 40% of German electricity. As a result German CO2 emissions have been growing while they have been falling in most EU countries, including the UK. Environmentally Germany has claims to be the dirty man of Europe.

Edited by Francis Albert

7 hours ago, Boris said:

You understand the far right?  Better get your brown (or black) shirt ironed and your jackboots polished then Jake.

That's not what I meant.

Although you wouldn't have guessed that from my wording.

I can understand the right gaining

And they are gaining.

Now that doesnt mean I subscribe to a brown shirt philosophy.

Its beyond reproach that far right parties are filling gaps everywhere in Europe apart from the UK.

There are many complex reasons for that.

So how is it that the majority of the electorate have not voted for a far right political bloc in the UK of any meaningful numbers.

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

60%? Uv whit? Gies some nummers, Jake.

Thay French, whit thay lik. Aye, the same!

An there it is. Quhen sumboody gaes oan a rant, thair agenda appears. Immigration of Muslims!!!!!!

As fur the faur richt. That's bene driven by the expats fae ingland. If ye kin tauk shite, sae kin A.

Wan last thyng. Ye dae realise the UK is still a memmer a the EU, an hus bene daen nothyng excep tak pairt n austerity acroass the EU. 

:leveinproblem:

Look up the numbers yourself.

It's actually a bit more than just police tactics.

Macron's government was forced to apologise for faking news about the protests.

Muslims ?

You mentioned them not me.

Look at nearly every single European nations political make up.

3 hours ago, jake said:

That's not what I meant.

Although you wouldn't have guessed that from my wording.

I can understand the right gaining

And they are gaining.

Now that doesnt mean I subscribe to a brown shirt philosophy.

Its beyond reproach that far right parties are filling gaps everywhere in Europe apart from the UK.

There are many complex reasons for that.

So how is it that the majority of the electorate have not voted for a far right political bloc in the UK of any meaningful numbers.

Fair play Jake. Apologies if I’ve slurred you.

The Tories are far right and they've been governing these nations for centuries. I'm surprised they didn't team up with Hitler. Aa well, I suppose they didn't like the Germans back then either, while the treasonous Royals were still kept alive. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Mighty Thor
13 hours ago, jake said:

The right is on the rise. It's under a thinly veiled ruse of Brexit at present but it's really the strengthening of a form of English nationalism. 

Read what is being said by UKIP or Farage's latest vehicle of self promotion. 

Much is said on here about the SNP being a party of grudge and grievance, generally by the arseholery that would most likely vote for a Farage type, but the rhetoric of this English nationalist/right movement is quite staggering as is the open platform and lack of scrutiny it receives from print and TV media, especially the BBC. 

Let's see where the Euro elections leave us and then come back about mass voting for right/far right parties.

Shanks said no
On 08/05/2019 at 10:22, Francis Albert said:

Since Merkel's decision a few years back to phase out nuclear power, nuclear has been replaced by coal which produces over 40% of German electricity. As a result German CO2 emissions have been growing while they have been falling in most EU countries, including the UK. Environmentally Germany has claims to be the dirty man of Europe.

I think Poland, Latvia or Turkey (non EU I know) would have the dirty man of Europe before Germany 

Scnorthedinburgh
7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The right is on the rise. It's under a thinly veiled ruse of Brexit at present but it's really the strengthening of a form of English nationalism. 

Much is said on here about the SNP being a party of grudge and grievance, generally by the arseholery that would most likely vote for a Farage type, but the rhetoric of this English nationalist/right movement is quite staggering as is the open platform and lack of scrutiny it receives from print and TV media, especially the BBC. 

Let's see where the Euro elections leave us and then come back about mass voting for right/far right parties.

I agree the Tory Shires are in for a shock when the election ends.

Some places will have elected members and parties who make Thatcher look a socialist.

Received a leaflet for the brexit party through the post.

Big picture of Farage on the front and Nigel showing how he's not racist. I have a black guy on the candidate list. Right on, Nige.

9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Let's hope I'm wrong .

Imagine a far right controlled EU.

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, jake said:

Let's hope I'm wrong .

Imagine a far right controlled EU.

Imagine a far right controlled EU and not a damned thing we can do about it because we threw away our veto

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I think Poland, Latvia or Turkey (non EU I know) would have the dirty man of Europe before Germany 

Well yes. Maybe a close competition. Not one Germany should revel.

30 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Imagine a far right controlled EU and not a damned thing we can do about it because we threw away our veto

I may be wrong but I'm sure the EU is moving for majority rule.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, jake said:

I may be wrong but I'm sure the EU is moving for majority rule.

They may be, but we'll be on the outside looking in whilst being run by a hybrid right wing amalgam of UKIP/Farage's mob/the split Tory right looking for a new straw man to blame for the UK vanishing up it's own ringpiece. 

As a pro European Scot I'm not not looking forward to that much. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )