Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Have you seen Watership Down before?

Reveal hidden contents

Many people find it very violent and deeply upsetting 

It's a new version. Like the song.

3 minutes ago, Dunks said:

The FM cannot recall Parliament. 

Presiding officer on request from the Scottish government.

Trapper John McIntyre
32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I can't be arsed the night. Hearts are busting my arse and I'm flitting . I'll get back after .

Just know, the SNP are calling an Indyref2 or all MPs quitting then running on the mandate of independence if  30 MPs are re-elected. The UN will delegate.

Santa is the best.

Can I have some of whatever you've been injecting?

13 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Can I have some of whatever you've been injecting?

Leave him in piece because cant be arsed replying and he's flitting but he's no' packed the tele yet 'cause he's watching Watership Down. 

Edited by Dawnrazor

Trapper John McIntyre
8 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Leave him in piece because cant be arsed replying and he's flitting but he's no' packed the tele yet 'cause he's watching Watership Down. 

Some weird shit.

On 20/12/2018 at 07:55, Francis Albert said:

Where does it say that?

The EU Commission have left it entirely up to Member States to decide what happens to UK citizens. Confirming that the EU isn't this controlling, undemocratic organisation dictating to others. Member States have the power, as they always have.

How many EU members make it easy for Britons to get residency there remains to be seen. But when our government is thinking of setting absurd thresholds of 30K for future EU migrants, we can expect EU members to follow suit with UK migrants. None of which is anything other than appalling.

A wee taster of the advantages afforded to NI over Scotland, can be seen in the boost to the NI economy, by the Irish crossing the border , and spending a fortune because of  the weak pound. Great!!!

Edited by ri Alban

Francis Albert

Amusing to see the Guardian (and its letter columns) desperately reversing engines on Corbyn (for which the Guardian has virtually been his house organ) after his stated support for Brexit.

Which surely could not have come as surprise to anyone - he has always been not so much Eurosceptic as Europhobic.

15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Amusing to see the Guardian (and its letter columns) desperately reversing engines on Corbyn (for which the Guardian has virtually been his house organ) after his stated support for Brexit.

Which surely could not have come as surprise to anyone - he has always been not so much Eurosceptic as Europhobic.

He should just admit it, he's starting to get on my tits.

9 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

:hae36:

That'd be the same Guardian which has been against Corbyn pretty much from the start, spent the whole summer smearing him, and has now created a complete nothing burger out of him restating Labour Party policy, would it?

But then, I've seen you seriously suggest - and this one's really funny - that the BBC is biased towards Remain! :rofl: That's the same BBC which has said next to nothing about the scandal surrounding Aaron Banks, Russian interference, and Vote Leave systematically breaking electoral law; nothing when the government shamefully outed the Vote Leave whistleblower as homosexual; has consistently and totally failed to educate its audience about any of the issues or detail surrounding Brexit; and have John Humphrys and Andrew Marr parading their ignorance in front of the world all the time.

9 hours ago, ri Alban said:

He should just admit it, he's starting to get on my tits.

This is what was agreed at Labour Party Conference:

DvJPPrSXQAAxRU7.jpg

Corbyn continues to follow precisely this plan. The crunch will come with the meaningful vote. If it's voted down, that's when a confidence vote would immediately be called. If it's won, it's general election time. If - as is very likely - it's lost, that's when all options remaining become available. My best guess is at that point, Corbyn will go back to the members, and Labour will end up supporting a second referendum.

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

That'd be the same Guardian which has been against Corbyn pretty much from the start, spent the whole summer smearing him, and has now created a complete nothing burger out of him restating Labour Party policy, would it?

But then, I've seen you seriously suggest - and this one's really funny - that the BBC is biased towards Remain! :rofl: That's the same BBC which has said next to nothing about the scandal surrounding Aaron Banks, Russian interference, and Vote Leave systematically breaking electoral law; nothing when the government shamefully outed the Vote Leave whistleblower as homosexual; has consistently and totally failed to educate its audience about any of the issues or detail surrounding Brexit; and have John Humphrys and Andrew Marr parading their ignorance in front of the world all the time.

DvJPPrSXQAAxRU7.jpg

Corbyn continues to follow precisely this plan. The crunch will come with the meaningful vote. If it's voted down, that's when a confidence vote would immediately be called. If it's won, it's general election time. If - as is very likely - it's lost, that's when all options remaining become available. My best guess is at that point, Corbyn will go back to the members, and Labour will end up supporting a second referendum.

I know,  but...

42 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I know,  but...

Well, there is a very large 'but', and it's as follows. I'd like @Ulysses' thoughts on this - he'll know a lot better than I do.

For there to be a second referendum doesn't just take a vote in the Commons. It requires primary legislation, to be sponsored by the government. It then takes 147 days to organise a 2nd referendum. 

The assumption from those advocating it has been that the EU would agree to an extension of Article 50. But here's the thing. On May 23, the EU Parliament elections are held. The EU have already reallocated Britain's share of MEPs. No MEPs means, according to legal advice, we've left. 

In other words: we may already (in fact, probably have) run out of time for a 2nd referendum... while we're still part of the EU, at least. 

Francis Albert
5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

DvJPPrSXQAAxRU7.jpg

Happy Christmas Shaun.

4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Well, there is a very large 'but', and it's as follows. I'd like @Ulysses' thoughts on this - he'll know a lot better than I do.

For there to be a second referendum doesn't just take a vote in the Commons. It requires primary legislation, to be sponsored by the government. It then takes 147 days to organise a 2nd referendum. 

The assumption from those advocating it has been that the EU would agree to an extension of Article 50. But here's the thing. On May 23, the EU Parliament elections are held. The EU have already reallocated Britain's share of MEPs. No MEPs means, according to legal advice, we've left. 

In other words: we may already (in fact, probably have) run out of time for a 2nd referendum... while we're still part of the EU, at least. 

Effectively what we're looking at is restarting negotiations with EU. Suspending Article 50. Either via current Parliament or after general election.

The uncertainties are still big. 

Tory harder Brexit government is possible for example.

But then the crucial question of whether to respect the 2016 result. That's a big question. It's underestimated for example the effect of ending up with narrow Remain result on a second referendum. Leave supporters have been fairly quiet recently. Not sure politicians are ready for the backlash. May and Corbyn seem to understand that at least. 

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Happy Christmas Shaun.

3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Happy Christmas Shaun. 

:D

Likewise. :toasting:

The Mighty Thor

So the government as part of its really organised Brexit strategy has awarded one of the English Channel freight ferry contracts to a company with no ships and no experience of ferrying trucks from a port that's potentially not suitable for such freight?

What could possibly go wrong?

:cornette:

22 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So the government as part of its really organised Brexit strategy has awarded one of the English Channel freight ferry contracts to a company with no ships and no experience of ferrying trucks from a port that's potentially not suitable for such freight?

What could possibly go wrong?

:cornette:

Er........ All of it? 

20 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

At least the Government weren't giving most of the money in ferry contracts to companies from those ****ers in the EU 27 like France and Denm......

....oh, wait.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1229/1019448-brexit-ferries/

There is another way to look at it though.

If there is delays at the ports etc etc, then the government can blame it on the French & the Danes for not being able to cope with the extra work & not being able to fulfil their contracts.

Now the Danes I don't have any fears about, the French on the other hand..............mmm.

But a story that could emerge is whether UK is breaking EU procurement etc rules in some of its No Deal preparations.

Which might explain the secrecy. 

55 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There is another way to look at it though.

If there is delays at the ports etc etc, then the government can blame it on the French & the Danes for not being able to cope with the extra work & not being able to fulfil their contracts.

Now the Danes I don't have any fears about, the French on the other hand..............mmm.

Too many words to fit on the side of a bus.  It'll never work.  ;)

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Which might explain the secrecy. 

An application of the principle of Occam's Razor would lead to the conclusion that whatever the reasons for secrecy, cleverness isn't among them.

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Too many words to fit on the side of a bus.  It'll never work.  ;)

Depends upon the size of the writing.

Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit  :mj_zivili:

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Depends upon the size of the writing.

Athbhliain faoi mhaise duit  :mj_zivili:

Or the size of the bus.  :laugh:

Bliadhna Mhath Ùr . :toasting:

Thunderstruck
On 01/01/2019 at 05:10, Ulysses said:

At least the Government weren't giving most of the money in ferry contracts to companies from those ****ers in the EU 27 like France and Denm......

....oh, wait.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/1229/1019448-brexit-ferries/

Are we told of the availability of U.K. owned/registered shipping or of the availability of vessels of suitable length/beam/draught to fit the berths at either end of the voyage?

Are we told of the particular requirements in terms of being able to use RoRo link-spans?

Of course not, that wouldn’t be much of a headline, would it. 

5 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Are we told of the availability of U.K. owned/registered shipping or of the availability of vessels of suitable length/beam/draught to fit the berths at either end of the voyage?

Are we told of the particular requirements in terms of being able to use RoRo link-spans?

And!?!?! Have you every heard of the Clyde? Or is that just to play Billy big boy war games.

Thunderstruck
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

And!?!?! Have you every heard of the Clyde? Or is that just to play Billy big boy war games.

What has that got to do with the Channel? Are you suggesting that the Argyle, Bute or Caledonian Isles should be commandeered for Folkestone to Ostend? 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

Any comment on the company, Seaborne, that have been awarded a government contract with no ships, no freight transport experience and a harbour that is unsuitable?

That's the real headline in amongst that lot. 

DFDS and Brittany have been shifting trucks and goods for decades and have the cross channel stuff sorted. 

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Any comment on the company, Seaborne, that have been awarded a government contract with no ships, no freight transport experience and a harbour that is unsuitable?

That's the real headline in amongst that lot. 

DFDS and Brittany have been shifting trucks and goods for decades and have the cross channel stuff sorted. 

I'd think Seaborne will charter/sub contract the work to other companies, pretty much the same as is done in the construction, the holiday/air flights and many many other industries.

Thunderstruck
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I'd think Seaborne will charter/sub contract the work to other companies, pretty much the same as is done in the construction, the holiday/air flights and many many other industries.

Exactly. 

It is a well-established industry practice - matching cargoes and customers with available vessels. 

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not according to Transport Minister Chris Grayling. It's a start up company with no ships and no trading history trying to utilise a port, Ramsgate, which is not suitable according to the local council.

It's a panic measure. One of many in the coming 3 months as this government runs out of options.

coconut doug
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Why not just give all the contract to those who have experience and vessels? Are Seaborne not likely to sub contract to dfds or Brittany ferries anyway. Sub contracting in the industries you quote works a treat. I'm thinking of Monarch airlines and Carillion.

Do they know where the bottlenecks are likely to be and how these firms are likely to alleviate them. Do they know where the spare capacity is in the existing services? Of course they dont any more than they are able to estimate the effect of no deal. It's just a gesture to suggest to the public that they are prepared to have a hard brexit and that they are tough negotiators. Unfortunately for them that ship has sailed.  

4 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

:rofl::rofl:

Ah here, why are you laughing?

You'd swear there was something wrong with a country having a Brexit Minister who didn't realise that Britain isn't physically connected to the Continent and a Transport Minister who doesn't realise that boats are useful if you want to ship stuff on water. 

Show a bit of respect, eh?  :laugh:

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

Why not just give all the contract to those who have experience and vessels? Are Seaborne not likely to sub contract to dfds or Brittany ferries anyway. Sub contracting in the industries you quote works a treat. I'm thinking of Monarch airlines and Carillion.

Do they know where the bottlenecks are likely to be and how these firms are likely to alleviate them. Do they know where the spare capacity is in the existing services? Of course they dont any more than they are able to estimate the effect of no deal. It's just a gesture to suggest to the public that they are prepared to have a hard brexit and that they are tough negotiators. Unfortunately for them that ship has sailed.  

That would be too simple, besides there'll be some fingers in some pies, like there always is.

coconut doug
10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That would be too simple, besides there'll be some fingers in some pies, like there always is.

@GHNeale Every director of #SeaborneFreight is also director of Albany Shipping, company that owes £93K. Mark Bamford, being one of their senior executives, is the brother of the owner of JCB, Lord Bamford. Lord Bamford donated £1m to the Conservatives last electoral campaign

Another interesting detail: #SeaborneFreight has debts of £416,607 and it paid consultancy fees to its directors, worth a combined £81,778.

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/01/01/the-corruption-behind-the-tory-freight-deal-with-a-shipping-company-that-has-no-ships/

5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

@GHNeale Every director of #SeaborneFreight is also director of Albany Shipping, company that owes £93K. Mark Bamford, being one of their senior executives, is the brother of the owner of JCB, Lord Bamford. Lord Bamford donated £1m to the Conservatives last electoral campaign

Another interesting detail: #SeaborneFreight has debts of £416,607 and it paid consultancy fees to its directors, worth a combined £81,778.

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2019/01/01/the-corruption-behind-the-tory-freight-deal-with-a-shipping-company-that-has-no-ships/

Well I'm shocked that some tory donor is possibly connected to a company which gets a multi million pound contract....................from the government!

coconut doug
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well I'm shocked that some tory donor is possibly connected to a company which gets a multi million pound contract....................from the government!

Very few are outraged though, that's the problem. This level of incompetence and corruption are common place in this horrendous government. We might as well have the SPFL running the country.

13 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Very few are outraged though, that's the problem. This level of incompetence and corruption are common place in this horrendous government. We might as well have the SPFL running the country.

Oh it's not just this government as I am stuggling to recall a government any government over the last 30 or 40 years maybe even longer than that, which hasn't been embroiled during it's time in office, in some corruption scandal or another, and it's not just the UK either, it's like this all over the world.

I How can it be voice of the people..Students unable to vote.E U workers with kids at UK schools not allowed to vote.Students told to vote at university..Election in June.A trade union would be breaking the law if they went on strike.The far right won the election on their terms.The result. 17m leave.16m stay 13m did not vote and 3.5m not given a vote. 37.3% not including the 3.5m not allowed to vote.The UK is a facist state.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Jambo100 said:

I How can it be voice of the people..Students unable to vote.E U workers with kids at UK schools not allowed to vote.Students told to vote at university..Election in June.A trade union would be breaking the law if they went on strike.The far right won the election on their terms.The result. 17m leave.16m stay 13m did not vote and 3.5m not given a vote. 37.3% not including the 3.5m not allowed to vote.The UK is a facist state.

Were you allowed to vote? If you really believe your last sentence,  I have to doubt your mental competence.

Edited by Francis Albert

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )