Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

She can still get it through.    Absolutely she can.     She's as mad a box of angry badgers but her advisors probably aren't.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

doctor jambo
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

She can still get it through.    Absolutely she can.     She's as mad a box of angry badgers but her advisors probably aren't.

She can dissolve this session of parliament,

then open another and represent her deal.

Some democracy we live in........ and we are leaving the EU for being undemocratic why?

1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

My feeling at this moment is Theresa May will be gone pretty soon - wouldn't be surprised if it was this week tbh. 

No chance, as no one will touch that job with a shitty stick until this is moved forward.

Its like a game of pass the parcel with a live hand grenade.

I said before May's deal getting voted through this week was obvious. What I really meant is the next time it gets voted on. I stick by that. We will see it before 29th.

6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I said before May's deal getting voted through this week was obvious. What I really meant is the next time it gets voted on. I stick by that. We will see it before 29th.

Well yes with back handed deals and fear of a 2 year delay peoples bottle has crashed and now this deal is the bestest best deal ever.

its a ****ing charade with self interest at its core, still this is what the people wanted blah blah blah.

Edited by Jamboelite

"Parliament is a laughing stock" is what May said in cabinet today.

That,   I am grimly afraid,    is a horrendously concerning insight into where the PM's head is.       Absolutely astounding lack of self awareness.

Just wow.

...a bit disco
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Leadsom now getting with her cabinet colleagues.   :rofl:

It's noo a remain cabinet.    **** off ya boot.

Shocked to find out she's only 55, leather faced auld cow that she is.

Just now, ...a bit disco said:

Shocked to find out she's only 55, leather faced auld cow that she is.

Wut wut.    I cannot be 5 years younger than that Komodo Dragon.

21 hours ago, Taffin said:

If, and it's a pretty monumental if we got back into the EU then yes there would need to be one. If we left and we're just two independent states then we wouldn't which would be the outcome (at least to begin with)

If we become independent outside the EU and the UK is outside any comprehensive EEA/EFTA membership then there would still be a hard border as both nations would either need to agree a customs union - no independent trade policy - or would need to impose tariffs on goods crossing the border. 

...a bit disco
Just now, Victorian said:

Wut wut.    I cannot be 5 years younger than that Komodo Dragon.

4 years on me.

It would be like shagging my dead granny.

2 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

4 years on me.

It would be like shagging my dead granny.

Feel better now about my age/decrepitude.     Still decrepit but a youngish looking decrepit auld *****.

...a bit disco
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Feel better now about my age/decrepitude.     Still decrepit but a youngish looking decrepit auld *****.

Join the club.

:biggrin:

doctor jambo
52 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Vote will be on the 28th

Class of 75
On 18/03/2019 at 17:54, Cruyff Turn said:

Theresa May just couldn’t give a feck about Democracy, she’s acting like an Autocrat. 

Yet those calling for a second referendum or a so called people's vote are democratic? 

Class of 75
On 18/03/2019 at 17:58, AlimOzturk said:

^^^ 

That's complete madness and just totally undermines Bercows authority as chair. 

May is relentless with this deal and will stop at nothing to get it. She is a dangerous women causing untold damage to this country

What a dangerous precedent she is setting. Accept what I want or I will keep bring it back to vote over and over again until it is voted through. And this is meant to more democratic than a second referendum!

Irrespective of the way she is doing it she is respecting what 17.5 million people voted for. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of her or the deal she has produced but Democracy is at stake here and it is important that it is upheld. 

Cruyff Turn
1 minute ago, Class of 75 said:

Yet those calling for a second referendum or a so called people's vote are democratic? 

Yes they are because you’d hopefully get to make a clear choice, Remain or No Deal.

3 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Irrespective of the way she is doing it she is respecting what 17.5 million people voted for. Don't get me wrong I am not a fan of her or the deal she has produced but Democracy is at stake here and it is important that it is upheld. 

It could be argued that some of the 17.5m were misled... Negotiations would be easy... The country would be better off etc. The mess we are now I think justifies another referendum before we make, in my opinion, a mistake that will hurt many many many people. But it won't hurt the elite minority who are advocating it. 

Class of 75
4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Yes they are because you’d hopefully get to make a clear choice, Remain or No Deal.

But they have already voted. They voted to Leave. There should be no need to vote again on an issue which has already been decided nearly 3 years ago. 

Class of 75
8 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

It could be argued that some of the 17.5m were misled... Negotiations would be easy... The country would be better off etc. The mess we are now I think justifies another referendum before we make, in my opinion, a mistake that will hurt many many many people. But it won't hurt the elite minority who are advocating it. 

This is what is wrong with the country at the moment. Should we just keep going until a certain side get what they want?  Imagine it in football terms? If Hearts were to lose the cup final do we have a replay to get a win? It was a binary vote in which both sides knew what they were voting for and I think to suggest otherwise is disrespectful to the electorate. I voted to Leave the EU and fully understood what I was voting for. Why is the same question not asked of those who voted to remain? 

Edited by Class of 75

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

"Parliament is a laughing stock" is what May said in cabinet today.

That,   I am grimly afraid,    is a horrendously concerning insight into where the PM's head is.       Absolutely astounding lack of self awareness.

Just wow.

The woman needs removing from that job as it's clearly taking a toll on her mental health. 

Cruyff Turn

But they have already voted. They voted to Leave. There should be no need to vote again on an issue which has already been decided nearly 3 years ago. 

That’s not what has happened though has it, not even the Brexiteer supporting public want Mays deal so clearly if you voted leave, you wouldn’t be leaving anyway, you’d have one foot in and one foot out. 

Another vote with the clear option of Remain or No Deal should be put forward and if Leave is what Ingurlund really wants then so be it. 

doctor jambo
9 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

You’ve had nearly a full parliament of leaving. We vote in 5 year cycles

5 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

The most compelling case for another referendum is that a responsible Brexit has failed to be delivered by the democratically elected representatives of the electorate,   mainly due to the failure of the government derived via the makeup of those representatives.      In the absence of a responsible conclusion from our elected representatives,    the only other body of people who can decide would be the electorate themselves.     It's not about ignoring the first referendum.     It's not about disrespecting the choice of the majority.    It never has been.     It's about finding a democratic conclusion to solve an impasse.

Class of 75
Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

That’s not what has happened though has it, not even the Brexiteer supporting public want Mays deal so clearly if you voted leave, you wouldn’t be leaving anyway, you’d have one foot in and one foot out. 

Another vote with the clear option of Remain or No Deal should be put forward and if Leave is what Ingurlund really wants then so be it. 

Yep I don't want the deal either. However, those that wanted to leave would most probably vote for no deal. Not just England voted to Leave, over 40% of the Scottish electorate did also. 

Class of 75
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The most compelling case for another referendum is that a responsible Brexit has failed to be delivered by the democratically elected representatives of the electorate,   mainly due to the failure of the government derived via the makeup of those representatives.      In the absence of a responsible conclusion from our elected representatives,    the only other body of people who can decide would be the electorate themselves.     It's not about ignoring the first referendum.     It's not about disrespecting the choice of the majority.    It never has been.     It's about finding a democratic conclusion to solve an impasse.

What has happened is the democratically elite never expected the result of the referendum and have tried their best to frustrate that result ever since. What happens if we have a general election where people disagree with the result? Do we run it again just to please those who didn't get their wish? 

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Yep I don't want the deal either. However, those that wanted to leave would most probably vote for no deal. Not just England voted to Leave, over 40% of the Scottish electorate did also. 

Those that voted leave I’d probably argue will be even more ardent leavers because as you say and may well feel, that they’ve been ignored.

I don’t think a second Ref on it is about trying to change the result, I think it’s more about, do you want no deal now you know the score. 

Cruyff Turn
9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Perfectly put.

15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That's one of the most articulate things I've read on here. Well said sir 

What has happened is the democratically elite never expected the result of the referendum and have tried their best to frustrate that result ever since. What happens if we have a general election where people disagree with the result? Do we run it again just to please those who didn't get their wish? 

It's never been that in the least.    That is chapter and verse from the paranoid narrative of irresponsible leave-at-any-cost zealots.     There are many people,    including within parliament,    who accept that leaving is quite legitimate as long as it is reasonable to the national interest.     Or in the absence of any prospect of that,    that a referral back to the people to decide either way is the next best step.    To accept that the updated will of the people is sufficient to legitimise the destiny of the country.  

27 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

This is what is wrong with the country at the moment. Should we just keep going until a certain side get what they want?  Imagine it in football terms? If Hearts were to lose the cup final do we have a replay to get a win? It was a binary vote in which both sides knew what they were voting for and I think to suggest otherwise is disrespectful to the electorate. I voted to Leave the EU and fully understood what I was voting for. Why is the same question not asked of those who voted to remain? 

I don't equate a decision that could have massive and detrimental consequences for my family and those of others to a game of football. And, to quote Ricky Gervais, we live in a country which puts 'do not drink' on bottles of bleach.. Take that warning off and two years later have a referendum.... (I'm just trying to have a joke... Sorry if that offends) 

Edited by LeftBack

43 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

So if the people voted to remain in a second referendum that is anti democratic?

Surely leaving would then be against the will of the people?

Sounds like you are scared that leave would lose a second referendum?

28 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Could you please explain how your life will be better outside the EU than in it. No generalising. Specifically you and your family.

Here's a difficult one for any outright opponent of a long extension + referendum.     The sort who buys into the mindless rhetoric of panicking zealots.

What is illegitimate in having a longer extension for the purpose of asking,   in a referendum,    this question?     Leave with May's withdrawal agreement or leave with no deal.

Who's stealing Brexit there?

What is absolutely clear is that this inherit fear of Brexit being lost is making people accept a deal they hate or even accepting a no deal, irrespective of whether its the right thing to do for the people of this country.

Extend it and take the time and work through the options,  even if remain is off the table ffs do whats right for the people that voted leave and those that have to live with that vote.

****ing over the UK just to make sure Brexit happens so you can sit and say “good cause thats what i voted for” is utter insanity if its not a good deal.

Edited by Jamboelite

2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

What is absolutely clear is that this inherit fear of Brexit being lost is making people accept a deal they hate or even accepting a no deal, irrespective of whether its the right thing to do for the people of this country.

Extend it and take the time and work through the options,  even if remain is off the table ffs do whats right for the people that voted leave and those that have to live with that vote.

****ing over the UK just to make sure Brexit happens so you can all sit and said “good cause thats what i voted for” is utter insanity if its mot a good deal.

Exactly.      It could very well be that the option of remain will have to be formally taken off the table in order for these people to sober up.    

Katya Adler hearing that the EU will insist that May has the long extension option ratified by parliament,    because they don't trust her an inch.

You reap what you sow.

19 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Katya Adler hearing that the EU will insist that May has the long extension option ratified by parliament,    because they don't trust her an inch.

You reap what you sow.

Yes this seems to be what is being tabled, it probably supports even more people accepting her shit deal for fear of the long extension.

Talk of an emergency EU meeting on the 28th March nothing like cutting it fine.

Edited by Jamboelite

Class of 75
48 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Could you please explain how your life will be better outside the EU than in it. No generalising. Specifically you and your family.

My reasons are several. How do you feel remaining benefits you and your family? 

Edited by Class of 75

Class of 75

One question I will ask? How is wrong for the UK to express their Nationalism but OK for Scotland to do so? Both the same yet one derided. 

Nick Watt casting doubt on the EU agreeing to the short extension,   again for the reason that the well of trust has run dry.     Damien 'its not my computer' Green was asked about it and blamed parliament.

Edited by Victorian

15 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

My reasons are several. How do you feel remaining benefits you and your family? 

I asked you a simple question that you didn't even have the decency to answer.

I will ask it again. Specifically why will you and your family be better out of the EU than in?

1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

38% of the Scottish Electorate voted to leave.

62% of the Scottish electorate voted to stay.

Not sure where you got your figures from as it has been widely reported on.

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )