Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

https://fullfact.org/europe/usa-trade-food-standards/

For us to get a deal with the us we have to lower our regulatory food standards. This isn't imaginary, "it might be worse", it'll be in black and white that we accept shit that isn't currently legally acceptable. 

The EU will not accept food that doesn't meet their regulatory standards, which is everything after we lower our regulatory standards, because we aren't working to their standards any more.

And because they don't want an NI open border allowing substandard food in through the back door they won't do a deal, leaving us with no deal.

And finally, if you don't want to be seen as a hypocrite, stop being so hypocritical. "They don't need to buy it" said no working class hero, ever.

For us to get a deal maybe Smithee.

Administrations change mate.

Just because I have a bit faith in the UK doesnt mean I place it that with the tory party.

I understand you putting your hope faith in the EU.

You have worked in Holland and generally see yourself as a laid back guy .

Hope that's not patronising.

The argument was about bleached (chlorinated )chicken on the thread earlier.

It was pointed out nutritionally and taste wise theres no difference .

Bit like free range v battery eggs.

It was then suggested it was animal welfare.

Final point .

Perhaps me using "they" seemed like a tory put down but you really stretched that along with others to turn that to something it wasnt.

Anyway I've made my points .

You have made yours.

And if I come across as someone trying to be a hero i can assure you I'm far from it.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly you need to wind your self grandiose neck in.

From someone who actually is from privileged educated background you greet about difficulties accessing the UK while being educated enough and having english as your language as some kind of difficulty.

You immediately resort to insult with a few posters who feel the need to explain their position to you.

You are a fekin tit.

And act like a cardboard.

5 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

@Smithee and @Justin Z absolutely cleaning house in here. Good to see, enjoyed that very much.

Some people are so small minded and insular. Be a shame to lose you Justin, but something tells me we won’t completely. Maybe an independent Scotland will be more welcoming to those who want to start a life here and contribute society. 👍

😄

Yeah poor Jason chased out the country .

The last sentence of your pathetic post is a top class meaningless wank.

10 minutes ago, jake said:

😄

Yeah poor Jason chased out the country .

The last sentence of your pathetic post is a top class meaningless wank.

No idea who Jason is.

Il’l take top class.

No wank is ever meaningless.

8 hours ago, jake said:

From someone who actually is from privileged educated background you greet about difficulties accessing the UK while being educated enough and having english as your language as some kind of difficulty.

There's been some truly asinine shit written on this forum, but wow. Did you actually learn to read in school? Or has it maybe been too long since you were there and you've simply forgotten?

Just for clarification in case someone reading that didn't read what I actually posted--when asked, I've explained that I've had difficulties with all those advantages. I can't imagine the plight of people without them--the system is working exactly as xenophobically designed, to keep people out of the country, and the proposed changes will entrench that further.

I do now understand your dismissive reply to my rather lengthy post in response to your question--I thought you were just being an arsehole and gloating over my inability to find a path through the UK visa morass. No, you simply lack reading comprehension.

Francis Albert
On 22/02/2020 at 13:15, Cade said:

*and could have been blue at any time over the last 40-odd years, as passport colour was NEVER an EU regulation.

Which was why some Eurosceptics got upset about Europhile politicians deciding unnecessarily to adopt the Maroon version as a symbol of their desire for "ever closer union".

Francis Albert
On 29/02/2020 at 07:24, Justin Z said:

There's been some truly asinine shit written on this forum, but wow. Did you actually learn to read in school? Or has it maybe been too long since you were there and you've simply forgotten?

Just for clarification in case someone reading that didn't read what I actually posted--when asked, I've explained that I've had difficulties with all those advantages. I can't imagine the plight of people without them--the system is working exactly as xenophobically designed, to keep people out of the country, and the proposed changes will entrench that further.

I do now understand your dismissive reply to my rather lengthy post in response to your question--I thought you were just being an arsehole and gloating over my inability to find a path through the UK visa morass. No, you simply lack reading comprehension.

Last figures I saw showed about 600,000 entering the country, 400,000 emigrating with net immigration over 200,000. So a lot of people seem to find their way through the UK VISA "morass". How more open should it be? 

...a bit disco
6 hours ago, Costanza said:

Just another reminder that this Government's ideological desire for a hard brexit trumps your economic and public health:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/01/downing-street-department-health-locked-row-access-eu-pandemic/

That's okay.

Chlorinated chicken tastes the same and is just as nutritional.

9 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

That's okay.

Chlorinated chicken tastes the same and is just as nutritional.

Ha. Although apparently we are going to strike a hard bargain with the US on trade talks, so maybe we won't be having chlorinated chicken after all...

As an aside Switzerland are seeking access to the EU early warning system. 

But then they are not a free and independent country.

Analysts of the UK/USA deal being made have come to the conclusion that (based on current plans), the best case result would only be 0.16% growth.

These are the government's own figures.

Edited by Cade

2 hours ago, Cade said:

Analysts of the UK/USA deal being made have come to the conclusion that (based on current plans), the best case result would only be 0.16% growth.

These are the government's own figures.

It's going to take a long time to make up the loss to the UK economy since the referendum
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-10/-170-billion-and-counting-the-cost-of-brexit-for-the-u-k

• 1 month later...

UK refuses point blank to extend the transition period and will refuse if the EU asks.

Full speed ahead off the cliff edge we go!

The Real Maroonblood
18 hours ago, Cade said:

UK refuses point blank to extend the transition period and will refuse if the EU asks.

Full speed ahead off the cliff edge we go!

This government couldn’t run a bath.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, jambogaza said:

Economic vandalism, all in the name of English Nationalism. Disgraceful. 

:spoton:

So UK is pressing ahead, yet not engaging according to Barnier. No deal Brexit it is. Brexit, if the Sunday Times article is to be believed, devestated our initial response to the virus and will devestate our recovery. Fanatical.

Uk now demanding access to Europol and schengen databases

Even though the UK has previous on illegally selling schengen data to US companies.

:cornette:

50,000 britnat  Brexiters applied to fill the crop picking hole.

112 turned up. :rofl:

I'm sure Priti will be making plans to make prisoners work on the farms to make up the shortfall post-brexit.

Good old chain gangs and forced labour.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mighty Thor

I read that HM Government sneaked out the admission that there will be border checks on goods entering and leaving Northern Ireland after all. 

Classic Dom tactics. Release it just after PMQs and avoid scrutiny for a week. 

I wonder if Johnson's promise that there will categorically be no paperwork and his solid advice to businesses to 'phone the Prime Minister's office' and 'throw the paperwork in the bin' still stands? 

Well we all knew that the border would be running down the Irish Sea because that was the only possible way of having Brexit under the Good Friday Agreement.

Nice to have it confirmed.

I never understood  the DUPs opposition to Theresa May's deal. They wanted a harder Brexit, but no impediment to trade in NI, which was impossible to achieve even if the political will was there. They've now got a border in the Irish Sea, which as Unionists is their worse nightmare. May's deal probably wouldn't have passed even with their votes,  but it was the best deal the DUP could hope for, and if it had passed they would have had another couple of years to shake the magic money tree.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

I never understood  the DUPs opposition to Theresa May's deal. They wanted a harder Brexit, but no impediment to trade in NI, which was impossible to achieve even if the political will was there. They've now got a border in the Irish Sea, which as Unionists is their worse nightmare. May's deal probably wouldn't have passed even with their votes,  but it was the best deal the DUP could hope for, and if it had passed they would have had another couple of years to shake the magic money tree.

That's going to come back to haunt them. 

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. 

Why should the EU be flexible Michael...why not the UK ?

Brexit talks are going "well" but the EU needs to show flexibility, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has said.

He said there is a "big philosophical difference" between the sides, and the EU wants the UK "to follow their rules even after we have left the club".

The EU's Michel Barnier has suggested the UK's demands are "not realistic" and warned of a looming stalemate.

The UK said "very little progress" had been made after the latest post-Brexit trade talks concluded on Friday.

The two sides have been discussing their future economic and security partnership following the UK's withdrawal from the 27-member bloc on 31 January.

The UK has said it will not extend the negotiation process beyond 31 December, despite calls for the government to allow more time for a deal to be reached due to the coronavirus pandemic.

One of the sticking points during negotiations has been access to fishing waters. Speaking to the Andrew Marr programme, Mr Gove said "they [the EU] want to have the same access to our fish as they had when we were in the EU".

He challenged the EU to show "a little bit of their fabled flexibility", earlier telling Sky News that he was "confident a deal could be done".

On Friday, Mr Barnier - the EU's chief Brexit negotiator - said the UK could "not have the best of both worlds" adding he was "still determined but not optimistic" about the chances of reaching an agreement.

He also said the EU would not accept a deal "at any price" and was stepping up preparations for a no-deal outcome, in which the two sides would trade with each other under World Trade Organisation rules.

Insisting the EU would not negotiate "in haste", Mr Barnier said the UK must consider whether it was possible to agree a deal before the end of the year, when the current 11-month transition period is due to end.

During the transition period the UK continues to follow EU rules - and the government has insisted it does not want to extend this period.

Speaking to Sky News, shadow cabinet office minister Rachel Reeves said Labour "absolutely do not want" the UK to end the transition period in December without a deal and urged the government not to "rush this".

"The last thing our country and our economy needs at the moment is a further shock that could put jobs and livelihoods at risk," she said.

Meanwhile MPs from the other opposition parties, including the SNP, Lib Dems and the Green Party, have written to Mr Barnier expressing their support for an extension to the transition period.

The letter said there was "significant opposition to the UK government's extreme position", adding that an extension would "enable these detailed and defining negotiations to be conducted at a time when, we hope, the efforts of national governments and the European Union will not be engaged solely with dealing with the dreadful Covid-19 epidemic".

4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Why should the EU be flexible Michael...why not the UK ?

Brexit talks are going "well" but the EU needs to show flexibility, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove has said.

He said there is a "big philosophical difference" between the sides, and the EU wants the UK "to follow their rules even after we have left the club".

The EU's Michel Barnier has suggested the UK's demands are "not realistic" and warned of a looming stalemate.

The UK said "very little progress" had been made after the latest post-Brexit trade talks concluded on Friday.

The two sides have been discussing their future economic and security partnership following the UK's withdrawal from the 27-member bloc on 31 January.

The UK has said it will not extend the negotiation process beyond 31 December, despite calls for the government to allow more time for a deal to be reached due to the coronavirus pandemic.

One of the sticking points during negotiations has been access to fishing waters. Speaking to the Andrew Marr programme, Mr Gove said "they [the EU] want to have the same access to our fish as they had when we were in the EU".

He challenged the EU to show "a little bit of their fabled flexibility", earlier telling Sky News that he was "confident a deal could be done".

On Friday, Mr Barnier - the EU's chief Brexit negotiator - said the UK could "not have the best of both worlds" adding he was "still determined but not optimistic" about the chances of reaching an agreement.

He also said the EU would not accept a deal "at any price" and was stepping up preparations for a no-deal outcome, in which the two sides would trade with each other under World Trade Organisation rules.

Insisting the EU would not negotiate "in haste", Mr Barnier said the UK must consider whether it was possible to agree a deal before the end of the year, when the current 11-month transition period is due to end.

During the transition period the UK continues to follow EU rules - and the government has insisted it does not want to extend this period.

Speaking to Sky News, shadow cabinet office minister Rachel Reeves said Labour "absolutely do not want" the UK to end the transition period in December without a deal and urged the government not to "rush this".

"The last thing our country and our economy needs at the moment is a further shock that could put jobs and livelihoods at risk," she said.

Meanwhile MPs from the other opposition parties, including the SNP, Lib Dems and the Green Party, have written to Mr Barnier expressing their support for an extension to the transition period.

The letter said there was "significant opposition to the UK government's extreme position", adding that an extension would "enable these detailed and defining negotiations to be conducted at a time when, we hope, the efforts of national governments and the European Union will not be engaged solely with dealing with the dreadful Covid-19 epidemic".

If we do leave or when we do I wonder if the SNP will back the UK over fishing rights?

3 minutes ago, jake said:

If we do leave or when we do I wonder if the SNP will back the UK over fishing rights?

The SNP have been fighting it for years. And hopefully Scotland stops rUK from fishing there too. Or do you think that it's ok for them to fish here? 

It's not just Pob that's been flapping his gums.

Our chief negotiator has given the EU a two week deadline to "drop it's ideological red lines".

So, in other words, to stop acting in the best interests of the 27 member states and to break all the regulations and rules to give the UK what it wants.

:bolt:

The ERG maniacs who have taken control of the UK government never wanted a deal.

They have been dead-set on a no-deal disaster capitalist endgame with the last remaining parts of the UK sold off to the lowest bidder.

The UK will become one giant tax haven, but only for big business.

The little people will pay for it.

Watching Prescription Thugs on Netflix.

The USA is 5% of the World population but consumes 75% of the world's prescription drugs. Do people really think the UK isn't gonnae be able to not allow this to happen here. After the inevitable no deal that was always on the agenda.

On 17/05/2020 at 17:36, jake said:

Your post suggests the UK government will be fighting for the fishing community. There's every chance they'll be a bargaining chip.

8 minutes ago, jambogaza said:

Your post suggests the UK government will be fighting for the fishing community. There's every chance they'll be a bargaining chip.

There is .

I mentioned fishing as it was cited as a sticking point.

My post was a question on the SNP approach .

• 2 weeks later...
Francis Albert

One of the recurring stories during the long years of the Brexit debate was the fear that Nissan would pull out of Sunderland. Leavers in that city were regularly derided as thick as shit  for voting against their interests.

Nissan is closing its Barcelona plant. Sunderland to be the hub of Nissans European operations.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert
On 17/05/2020 at 17:54, Cade said:

It's not just Pob that's been flapping his gums.

Our chief negotiator has given the EU a two week deadline to "drop it's ideological red lines".

So, in other words, to stop acting in the best interests of the 27 member states and to break all the regulations and rules to give the UK what it wants.

:bolt:

The ERG maniacs who have taken control of the UK government never wanted a deal.

They have been dead-set on a no-deal disaster capitalist endgame with the last remaining parts of the UK sold off to the lowest bidder.

The UK will become one giant tax haven, but only for big business.

The little people will pay for it.

Why would anyone sell to the lowest bidder?

Missed some of the idiocies of the Brexit thread despite what the Coronavirus thread has to offer.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

One of the recurring stories during the long years of the Brexit debate was the fear that Nissan would pull out of Sunderland. Leavers in that city were regularly derided as thick as shit  for voting against their interests.

Nissan is closing its Barcelona plant. Sunderland to be the hub of Nissans European operations.

We should probably wait to see how Brexit turns out before crowing at how well Brexit is turning out.

Great news for the city but it was indeed stupid to vote leave in a city with so much foreign manufacturing. Those jobs were put at risk along with thousands of others and the company changing its mind doesn't change that. You have to wonder what the secret inducements were that May made and when they run out.

Great news though, at least in the short term, although I see they haven't ruled anything out in the future. 

Either way, the world has changed and you'd have to be something special to suppose anyone was smart enough to see past the company's own warnings to these circumstances and/or decisions coming.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

We should probably wait to see how Brexit turns out before crowing at how well Brexit is turning out.

Great news for the city but it was indeed stupid to vote leave in a city with so much foreign manufacturing. Those jobs were put at risk along with thousands of others and the company changing its mind doesn't change that. You have to wonder what the secret inducements were that May made and when they run out.

Great news though, at least in the short term, although I see they haven't ruled anything out in the future. 

Either way, the world has changed and you'd have to be something special to suppose anyone was smart enough to see past the company's own warnings to these circumstances and/or decisions coming.

Not crowing. Just pointing out yet another example of how Project Fear Mark II was maybe a wee bit overdone. Why do you say the company has changed its mind? Of course it wanted us to stay in the EU but I don't think it ever said it would pull out of the UK. Sunderland is its biggest European plant and one of the most efficient in the world, with excellent TU and labour relations Just possibly people in Sunderland knew more than pro-EU opinion formers in the London media.

Anyway as you say good news.

With Trump just firing the starting gun to an economic war with China, there's no way the UK will be able to negotiate a favourable deal with both countries. If only there was some nearby economic union of nations, which already had a deal with both countries.

Still, project fear but.

6 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

With Trump just firing the starting gun to an economic war with China, there's no way the UK will be able to negotiate a favourable deal with both countries. If only there was some nearby economic union of nations, which already had a deal with both countries.

Still, project fear but.

Hah. If only, but don't hold your breath

Seymour M Hersh
On 29/05/2020 at 20:11, fancy a brew said:

Still, project fear but.

I'm not sure we should be looking for a trade deal with China at the moment. 

AlimOzturk
14 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm not sure we should be looking for a trade deal with China at the moment. 

Agreed. Their actions throughout this Crisis has been deplorable. They have lied, deceived and been a stumbling block which has caused the deaths and destruction of economies. 

Should be avoided the world over. 

52 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Agreed. Their actions throughout this Crisis has been deplorable. They have lied, deceived and been a stumbling block which has caused the deaths and destruction of economies. 

Should be avoided the world over. 

None of us moan though as we buy products made in Chinese sweatshops. There’s hypocrisy the world over. 

Edited by Des Lynam

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

None of us moan though as we buy products made in Chinese sweatshops. There’s hypocrisy the world over. 

Tbh the post you quoted could have been talking about the US

4 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

You don't have to, although sometimes its probably not clear on the labelling.

AlimOzturk
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Tbh the post you quoted could have been talking about the US

I don't think we can blame the USA for the impending global recession. The virus didn't start there this was caused by the Chinese and their filthy live animal markets. We could talk about the immediate reaction of the USA and of the west in general wasn't for for purpose but it wasn't caused by the USA. 

Most items you buy have at least some components that will have been produced in China, even if they try to label themselves as "made in Britain" (which really just means final assembly)

You can't avoid buying Chinese.

That's how capitalism works.

Producers look to the cheapest sources.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I don't think we can blame the USA for the impending global recession. The virus didn't start there this was caused by the Chinese and their filthy live animal markets. We could talk about the immediate reaction of the USA and of the west in general wasn't for for purpose but it wasn't caused by the USA. 

I don't think you can say a global pandemic was caused by "the chinese"

Was mad cow disease caused by "the british"?

It came out of China but there are 1.4 billion people there and many are dirt poor, are they to blame that their available food is shit?

Tbf US actions haven't really affected our economy as far as I can tell, really it just seems mental to me for us to go "we're not playing with those arseholes" then go do a deal with those other arseholes. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )