Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

The rule is that you can't vote more than twice for the same thing in a parliamentary session.

So the plan now is to force the Queen to stop this parliamentary session then immediately declare an emergency session, meaning the May Deal can be voted for again as it's a new session.

It's totally bonkers.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cruyff Turn
7 minutes ago, Cade said:

The rule is that you can't vote more than twice for the same thing in a parliamentary session.

So the plan now is to force the Queen to stop this parliamentary session then immediately declare an emergency session, meaning the May Deal can be voted for again as it's a new session.

It's totally bonkers.

Theresa May just couldn’t give a feck about Democracy, she’s acting like an Autocrat. 

If anyone would do that,  she would.     But I think the much more likely scenario is the motion being suitably changed to meet the speaker's test.     The deal doesn't need changed... the motion does.     

^^^ 

That's complete madness and just totally undermines Bercows authority as chair. 

May is relentless with this deal and will stop at nothing to get it. She is a dangerous women causing untold damage to this country

What a dangerous precedent she is setting. Accept what I want or I will keep bring it back to vote over and over again until it is voted through. And this is meant to more democratic than a second referendum!

May writing a letter to Tusk begging for an extension as we speak.

Whether the EU think there is any point other than kicking the can another few months down the road is another matter.

9 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Theresa May just couldn’t give a feck about Democracy, she’s acting like an Autocrat. 

The problem remains I still don't see her Deal passing. 

Idiots that voted against it last week suddenly supporting it and slagging Bercow. That is funny. 

Andrea Leadsom is an utter disgrace.    Yet another openly disrespectful jibe at the speaker's integrity.     She needs brought to book.     

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Andrea Leadsom is an utter disgrace.    Yet another openly disrespectful jibe at the speaker's integrity.     She needs brought to book.     

This was a decent put down

Fuming about it tbh.     Hopefully there's some mechanism somewhere in the parliamentary rules for someone to initiate a referral to a review or parliamentary standards committee.    She's totally fixated.     The leader of the house is integral to the running of house business and if there's one member of the government who should keep their mouth in check,   it's her.

Cruyff Turn
14 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Idiots that voted against it last week suddenly supporting it and slagging Bercow. That is funny. 

Hopefully if Autocrat May does manage to push her deal back into the house, MP’s reject it again. There is no way they can allow this deal to go through just for a disasterous government to save face because that is what this has essentially become now. 

Peston saying he expects May to come back from the European Council meeting with an extension signed and sealed,    substantially change the motion on her deal (in some way) and hold the vote on the motion so that MPs have the clear and certain choice of deal or extension.     Obviously banking on the DUP claw grasping the brown envelope and various Brexit bed wetters caving in.     

Not a bad situation for her if this transpires.    

The Mighty Thor

Hats off to John Bercow. He's got a big set of balls on him.

So will Maybot do the right thing?

No ****ing chance. She'll twist, wriggle lie and bully even harder to get that shit deal back on the agenda. 

Watt-Zeefuik

Bercow effectively telegraphed that he would do this last week. May acting shocked is just performance at this point.

Watt-Zeefuik

I can't get over this news. He called off May's game of international chicken. That's amazing.

4 hours ago, Taffin said:

Why would there need to be a hard border between the two countries?

Because if the idea is independence for EU membership then we're bound by the EU/UK relationship. Like Ireland. So if there is a hard or tough border with Ireland there'll be one in Scotland.

5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They are really. It's a protect the union at all costs thing. 

Ironic really as the current collision course with the self generated iceberg will weaken the union.

Given NI voted remain I really don't think this is nation to nation. It's party politics. 

Unfortunately the national interest ebbed donkeys back in this process.

49 minutes ago, JamboX2 said:

Because if the idea is independence for EU membership then we're bound by the EU/UK relationship. Like Ireland. So if there is a hard or tough border with Ireland there'll be one in Scotland.

If, and it's a pretty monumental if we got back into the EU then yes there would need to be one. If we left and we're just two independent states then we wouldn't which would be the outcome (at least to begin with)

Watt-Zeefuik
34 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If, and it's a pretty monumental if we got back into the EU then yes there would need to be one. If we left and we're just two independent states then we wouldn't which would be the outcome (at least to begin with)

It would require a pretty dramatic change in rhetoric for the run-up to an independence vote to not include at least preliminary negotiations and clarifications of qualifications from the EU. Given that it would offer an unparalleled chance to nose up the UK Brexiters, it's difficult to imagine the EU27 not being quite happy to offer Scotland friendly terms of union.

Government said to be trying to get the DUP fully signed up,  then go to the EU to negotiate the short extension on the premise of getting the deal through,   then come back for MV3 with the substantial change required to hold it  being the secured extension.    If true,    the DUP surely has a Royal Flush.     

Cruyff Turn
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Government said to be trying to get the DUP fully signed up,  then go to the EU to negotiate the short extension on the premise of getting the deal through,   then come back for MV3 with the substantial change required to hold it  being the secured extension.    If true,    the DUP surely has a Royal Flush.     

Disgusting if true. Scotlands economy and Political future being shaped by 11 bigots from N.I. Utterly disgraceful. 

The Mighty Thor
7 hours ago, Victorian said:

Said it last night. Instead of using this as a natural break point from which to seek consensus across the house for a workable way forward, this narcissistic boot will double down to try by absolutely any means to jam her shit deal through. Even if she gets an indefinite extension it's this deal that's coming back to the house.

I hope parliament keeps doing its job.

AlphonseCapone

Why are the Brexiteers so angry, isn't John Bercow just following procedure ie isn't this just the British Parliament exerting control like they wanted? 

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Why are the Brexiteers so angry, isn't John Bercow just following procedure ie isn't this just the British Parliament exerting control like they wanted? 

Exactly.

Posh Tory MP was on Breakfast this morning. He says he would have switched sides for the 3rd vote to back MV3. Says It is ridiculous he is now being blocked from voting as he was elected to represent his constituents.

Er...have your constituents also suddenly changed their minds as well?

Yeah.   The hypocrisy is in overdrive.     Out-and-out snake oil salesmen like Matt Hancock and Nadhim Zahawi have suddenly obtained a keen interest in parliamentary rules and proceedures.     Brexit bampot Owen Paterson serms overjoyed because this all means a great opportunity to leave with no deal,   save £39bn (lol) and herald in the magical world of Narnia,   aka the Malthouse compromise.    

Edited by Victorian

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

But as they have already voted and agreed to ask for a short extension if successful, is confirming that this is now in place really a substantial change ?

Interesting those who have been vociferous in their demands for us to leave, complaining how undemocratic it is to have a peoples vote, are the same people who have no problem with the Government getting this through by effectively bribing the DUP.

And thats more democratic ? 

If she gets this to the table again then it passes, not because its a good deal for the people but because she has used every nasty, back handed and frankly disgusting tactic for her own ends.

Edited by Jamboelite

2 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

But as they have already voted and agreed to ask for a short extension if successful, is confirming that this is now in place really a substantial change ?

Interesting those who have been vociferous in there demands for us to leave and how i democratic it is to have a peoples vote are the same people who have no problem with the Government getting this through by effectively bribing the DUP.

And thats more democratic ? 

If she gets this to the table again it passes not because its a good deal for the people but because she has used every nasty, back handed and frankly disgusting tactic for her own ends.

Yes I think a signed and sealed administrative extension and maybe also a provisionally agreed long extension will be enough of a change to the motion to allow it to happen.     Mapping it out the other way around was really just the same motion with an uncertain outcome re the extension.    

First she needs to convince the EU that she has the DUP,   which should drag along most of the ERG.     The EU should offer both variants of the extension so that May can table a clear motion next week.

doctor jambo

anyone have any idea why the Malthouse rules would be a bad thing?

Have to say I cannot see a downside.

Free trade with the EU , no tarrifs, no £39 billion downpayment, then start negotiations.

Bercow is effectively making the government propose a motion with a certain outcome.      Standing up for parliament,   which has been strung along for months,   voting on uncertainty and having to stomach the government twisting and weaving out of having control taken away.

6 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

anyone have any idea why the Malthouse rules would be a bad thing?

Have to say I cannot see a downside.

Free trade with the EU , no tarrifs, no £39 billion downpayment, then start negotiations.

Malthouse is built on agreements of so-called mutual interest with the EU to continue frictionless trade and avoid tarrifs.    But it is all premised on the EU continuing to honour it.      The EU could unilaterally end anything they wanted to.    The UK would have no veto over what was ended,   removed or altered.     The same idiots who scream about the UK being held prisoner in the backstop would have the UK held hostage in one-way controlled mini-agreements.

Sovereignty my arse.

Edited by Victorian

Barclay pretty much saying that the way ahead now is that May will get the extension(s) sorted out and bring the vote back next week.      Which is pretty much what Bercow imposed on her with his ruling.      Of course... Barclay has phrased it such to create the impression that it's still the same plan and that placing the horse in front of the cart was all their idea all along.      Control (or the pretence of) still of great value to the PM.     If she gets her deal through,    she's determined to claim full credit.

The D U P are like the wee frees total scum.Ulster voted to stay and the D U P represent 16% of Ulster but think they control 100%.The leader is under investigation that is why there is no Ulster assembly. Cash for Ash.In the UK 35% voted leave that is why 2/3 remain In commons .The problem is you always have a 40% rule on referendums and include everyone.The E U so called referendum  was done on a 50 50 and did not include E U workers or Students who were told to register at campus then found out they were at home during election.  17.m leave 16m stay 13m did not vote and 3.5m not allowed to vote.In the general election 2017 everyone got a vote.

16 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Even better now that The Speaker has put a spanner in the works and there will not be a 3rd vote.

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, Jambo100 said:

The D U P are like the wee frees total scum.Ulster voted to stay and the D U P represent 16% of Ulster but think they control 100%.The leader is under investigation that is why there is no Ulster assembly. Cash for Ash.In the UK 35% voted leave that is why 2/3 remain In commons .The problem is you always have a 40% rule on referendums and include everyone.The E U so called referendum  was done on a 50 50 and did not include E U workers or Students who were told to register at campus then found out they were at home during election.  17.m leave 16m stay 13m did not vote and 3.5m not allowed to vote.In the general election 2017 everyone got a vote.

The other group that were excluded were UK citizens living in the EU, as I was at the time. IIRC there are 2.5 - 3 million UK expats massively affected by this yet didn't get a vote.

Francis Albert
39 minutes ago, Jambo100 said:

They hadn't heard of summer vacations .... or postal votes?

Howdy Doody Jambo

What could happen if the EU don't  agree to the UK's request to extend article 50?

I take it's not a given 

Cruyff Turn
5 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

What could happen if the EU don't  agree to the UK's request to extend article 50?

I take it's not a given 

The default legal position is still No deal on the 29th of this month.

Or, (and I don’t know the correct wording for this) un-revoke article 50 and cancel Brexit. 

44 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

I take it's not a given 

We leave EU on 29 March 11pm. 'No Deal' Brexit. 

https://interactive.news.sky.com/2017/brexit-countdown/

What that will mean is uncertain. A lot of arrangements have been put in place to keep some things as they are. But a lot is uncertain. 

Edited by Mikey1874

39 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

The default legal position is still No deal on the 29th of this month.

Or, (and I don’t know the correct wording for this) un-revoke article 50 and cancel Brexit. 

As I understand it, the UK can unilaterally revoke article 50 thus defauilting back to full EU membership.

this would, I assume, avoid a "no deal" exit.

For all of May's posturing, these are options she hasn't even mentioned or even countenanced - "if you don't want no deal then vote for my deal" is her mantra.

We are where we are due to her politiking of this, leaving it to the last minute in an attempt to blackmail a result in her favour.  Hobson's bloody choice.

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

As I understand it, the UK can unilaterally revoke article 50 thus defauilting back to full EU membership.

For all of May's posturing, these are options she hasn't even mentioned or even countenanced - "if you don't want no deal then vote for my deal" is her mantra.

We are where we are due to her politiking of this, leaving it to the last minute in an attempt to blackmail a result in her favour.  Hobson's bloody choice.

Yep.   Because that equates to success.     Forced the deal through despite all the problems.     Changing the fundamental direction = total failure for her management of Brexit.     Admission of defeat,  error,  failure and that other people had a practical input into the outcome.

That's one thing that has never been on the agenda.     Brexit quickly became and has remained May's personal project.      **** the country and people having jobs.

Cruyff Turn
5 minutes ago, Boris said:

Absolutely, it seems the only sensible option is now to unilaterally revoke article 50. 

I think the main problem now is that the Brexiteers who were willing to back the vote to achieve some sort of Brexit may now feel that their only option is No Deal and that is now the avenue they will try and force the PM down. 

None of them want EU parliamentary elections and to pay the EU 39billion and they certainly won’t want Brexit cancelled. If May asks for a short extension to try and renegotiate, this I feel will certainly be rejected by the EU.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Yep.   Because that equates to success.     Forced the deal through despite all the problems.     Changing the fundamental direction = total failure for her management of Brexit.     Admission of defeat,  error,  failure and that other people had a practical input into the outcome.

That's one thing that has never been on the agenda.     Brexit quickly became and has remained May's personal project.      **** the country and people having jobs.

She's ****ing mental. 

Cabinet leaking all over the shop. Letter is going to ask for an extension to June 30th with a proviso for a two year extension .

May's Brexit became the equivalent of someone getting near to finishing The Times crossword for the first time.     Just one last word to find but it seems to be X__Z_K__F.     Everyone else is telling her all the other words are wrong but she's so close... only one word.     Maybe if she bribed the O.E.D. people they might provide a suitable word?    

doctor jambo
16 minutes ago, Boris said:

She's ****ing mental. 

Thinks shes thatcher. Thinks stubborn and obstinate = strong.

Thinks because Cameron got away with being "pig-headed" ( not sure what the proper term is for what he did to the poor animal), then she gets to be pig-headed

Unknown user
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Thinks shes thatcher. Thinks stubborn and obstinate = strong.

Thinks because Cameron got away with being "pig-headed" ( not sure what the proper term is for what he did to the poor animal), then she gets to be pig-headed

Exactly, took all that guff at the start to her head. She's a ****ing arsehole. 

Theresa May has attempted to cause a constitutional crises and has used Brexit and "the will of the people" argument to get away it. She started by trying to block Parliment from having any say in the Brexit proceedings but thankful lost when the supreme court ruled that parliament,  not the executive must authorise the article 50 declaration. From here she has tried every dirty tactic possible to get her shitty deal through parliament but thankfully she has been pushed back every step of the way. It is strange because in a way as this "crisis"  has shown that parliament holds the cards and not the government. 

The only person leaving with more respect in all this than they had before is Bercow he has stood up time and again and batted down May and her cronies. 

She might get her way in the end but i hope parliment rejects her. The way she has conducted her self is quite frankly disgusting. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

doctor jambo
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The Deal is still going to be rejected. 

Plan B. 

Plan B is the same as Plan A

Plan C is the same as A and B

Plan D is we all run around screaming, then try and get plan A again

• davemclaren changed the title to Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )