Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The UK offered and gave settled status to 6 million EU citizens living in the UK. About 3 million more than we know we're living here. 

Yep, the remainers don't like to have to explain that one.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

No the Brits in Spain are getting kicked out and the Spanish in the UK are UK residents who are welcome. Have you missed the point of the debate?

Nope.

Brits in Spain could apply for settled status, same as Spaniards in the UK.

If they haven't done that then due to the ending of free movement the maximum stay is 90 days.

WorldChampions1902

No the Brits in Spain are getting kicked out and the Spanish in the UK are UK residents who are welcome. Have you missed the point of the debate?

You are the one missing the point. The ex-pats in Spain thought and still think all the bureaucracy resulting from their majority Leave vote wouldn’t affect them. They were after all ex-pats and Brits to boot. That would surely mean they could continue to live in ignorant bliss. Sadly not and I for one applaud Spain for, “Taking Back Control” of its borders.

But they knew what they voted for!

:vrface:

2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You are the one missing the point. The ex-pats in Spain thought and still think all the bureaucracy resulting from their majority Leave vote wouldn’t affect them. They were after all ex-pats and Brits to boot. That would surely mean they could continue to live in ignorant bliss. Sadly not and I for one applaud Spain for, “Taking Back Control” of its borders.

They're being kicked out the country by the Spanish Govt. On the other hand the Spanish in the UK are being welcomed with open arms. 

Its clear who's missing the point. 

They're being kicked out the country by the Spanish Govt.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#if-you-were-living-in-spain-before-1-january-2021

Visas and residency

If you were legally resident in Spain before 1 January 2021, you will be able to stay. You must ensure you are correctly registered as a resident. Children must also be registered with their own residency document.

If you are registering for the first time, you will be issued with a biometric residence card called a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE). This card will prove your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

2 minutes ago, Beni said:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#if-you-were-living-in-spain-before-1-january-2021

Visas and residency

If you were legally resident in Spain before 1 January 2021, you will be able to stay. You must ensure you are correctly registered as a resident. Children must also be registered with their own residency document.

If you are registering for the first time, you will be issued with a biometric residence card called a Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE). This card will prove your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

Yeah, but they've got a 2k a month income requirement, which many pensioners can't meet. 

Brexit isn't to blame for this, its the Spanish govt.

WorldChampions1902
8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yeah, but they've got a 2k a month income requirement, which many pensioners can't meet. 

Good Lord! Your last few posts sum up the mindset of many Leavers! The U.K. decided to Leave, because it wanted to “Take Back Control”. And people such as yourself object because the Spanish decide to do likewise.

Absolutely priceless!

:vrface::greggy:

Edited by WorldChampions1902

53 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

When did I say "Ah well **** you?"

You didn't answer my last question so I don't expect an answer to that.

I believe immigration from outside to the EU has exceeded that from the EU. So unless the UK has been more open than the rest of the EU (surely not?) It should still be possible for non-EU citizens like us to move to the EU.

There's no reason for me to answer your questions, it's a loss of rights and a definite negative whether you reckon you can chip away at it or not.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Good Lord! Your last few posts up the mindset of many Leavers! The U.K. decided to Leave, because it wanted to “Take Back Control”. And people such as yourself object because the Spanish decide to do likewise.

Absolutely priceless!

And when we took back control as far as I understand it we quickly granted permanent residence status to all the EU citizens living here. Twice as many as we thought.

Whether they are immigrants or ex pats or emigrants or whatever their own countries call them. 

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

There's no reason for me to answer your questions, it's a loss of rights and a definite negative whether you reckon you can chip away at it or not.

Of course but it would be polite of you to answer the first question since you accused me of saying ah well **** you

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

16 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The 2k/month is for new residents only, anyone who wanted it could get the right to remain, exactly the same as the 350000 Spaniards in the UK you mentioned earlier.

Now that Brexit has happened the UK and Spain can set whatever immigration criteria they want.

That's kinda the whole point.

Konrad von Carstein
10 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

And when we took back control as far as I understand it we quickly granted permanent residence status to all the EU citizens living here. Twice as many as we thought.

Whether they are immigrants or ex pats or emigrants or whatever their own countries call them. 

To remain (lol)  in any EU country,  UK emigrants had to apply for residency, whatever that entailed in each country, if they were too lazy or to stupid to follow the required process hell mend them, especially the selfish ****ers who voted Leave.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

To remain (lol)  in any EU country,  UK emigrants had to apply for residency, whatever that entailed in each country, if they were too lazy or to stupid to follow the required process hell mend them, especially the selfish ****ers who voted Leave.

I did not suggest otherwise. 

I get that you do not approve of Leave voters!

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Francis Albert said:

I did not suggest otherwise. 

I get that you do not approve of Leave voters!

Especially Leave voters who were living abroad full time when casting thier vote.

The general tone was about the nasty Spanish being unreasonable... Untrue and unfair.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It boils my piss that I no longer have freedom of movement across the EU just because of the ideology of the Conservative party's lunatic fringe committee groups and the fact that the Little Englanders don't like brown people. 

Completely get that you would have preferred to remain but to paint it as a fringe misrepresents the fact that over 50% of those who voted did so to leave. Not all were tories or racists...

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

I no longer have the automatic right to work in Holland. I get that it doesn't personally affect you but it's a loss of rights. Should they all be met with "Ah well, **** you" so you can keep telling yourself it's not so bad?

re your earlier response - to travel nothing really has changed.

To live/work absolutely correct it's a direct consequence of Brexit, referendums have consequences. It now costs a fortune to put European workers through a visa process should they be willing to come here, I'm sure avenues are available in reverse but no question it's money, hassle and was working swimmingly before.

Konrad von Carstein
44 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Completely get that you would have preferred to remain but to paint it as a fringe misrepresents the fact that over 50% of those who voted did so to leave. Not all were tories or racists...

His use of fringe isn't aimed at the electorate, I think.

It was a fringe group of tory ****wads that agitated almost from day one to leave, Cameron the shite bag called the referendum rather than face them down.

5 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

His use of fringe isn't aimed at the electorate, I think.

It was a fringe group of tory ****wads that agitated almost from day one to leave, Cameron the shite bag called the referendum rather than face them down.

Fair enough, no question Cameron miscalculated that one.

2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Good Lord! Your last few posts sum up the mindset of many Leavers! The U.K. decided to Leave, because it wanted to “Take Back Control”. And people such as yourself object because the Spanish decide to do likewise.

Absolutely priceless!

No, I voted, and campaigned to remain but having seen the un democratic response of the EU bully boys, and remainers like you celebrating the repatriation of UK citizens I'm out. This is what you said about elderly people being forced out of Spain:

I for one applaud Spain for, “Taking Back Control” of its borders. 

I'm with the Internationalists who welcome people of all colours and religions to our shores. You're with the Bully Boy protectionists who welcome cheap, white labour from racist EU states. You're a disgrace.

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

. You're with the Bully Boy protectionists who welcome cheap, white labour from racist EU states. You're a disgrace.

:rofl:

You couldn't be more wrong. . 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Your understanding is incorrect. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

:rofl:

You couldn't be more wrong. . 

White Romanian, Polish, Bulgarian workers...

I couldn't be more right. 

3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

No one is getting kicked out - residents can easily get it officially approved but many haven't bothered.

The income limit is no different from the criteria Patel is applying to foreigners coming to the UK.

On top of that a retired couple will have to find around 300 Euros per month to pay for private health insurance (that they clearly didn't have to do pre 2016). But then the NHS doesn't treat foreigners for free either. So, it's a lose/lose. 

5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Bud , I know his stance on the EU. 

You couldn't be more wrong. 

Konrad von Carstein

Are you are saying all Romanians Poles, & Bulgarians are racist? If I'm understanding you correctly (note the use of  "if" there) then you are a moron...

3 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Zero sympathy with the British Immigrants in Spain really 

3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Thats nice of the UK But its we who decided to leave the EU so any EU countries owns us no favours really. 

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Especially Leave voters who were living abroad full time when casting thier vote.

The general tone was about the nasty Spanish being unreasonable... Untrue and unfair.

Yes it was all xenophobia as usual . One of my friends move over there to stay last year. Didn't really do his homework. But did get residency so was there legally and could stay but he forgot that the Spanish Health System is not like the UK.  NO freebies there. Hes since just came back here  as he was " paying a fortune " in prescriptions. 

4 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The UK offered and gave settled status to 6 million EU citizens living in the UK. About 3 million more than we know we're living here. 

The UK neither offered nor gave anyone anything. 

And for context -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/05/why-6m-settlement-applications-doesnt-mean-6m-eu-citizens-live-in-the-uk#:~:text=The Home Office statistics showed,for fewer than five years.

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

One of my friends move over there to stay last year. Didn't really do his homework. But did get residency so was there legally and could stay but he forgot that the Spanish Health System is not like the UK.  NO freebies there. Hes since just came back here  as he was " paying a fortune " in prescriptions. 

Amazing how you have these  friends that keep popping up at convenient points.

Just to be clear , the Spanish health service very much IS like the NHS.

The difference is brexiters wanted spongeing foreigners to stop using their NHS while continuing to use the European equivalents. So when the UK quit the EU, UK citizens lost their right to reciprocal health care cover - cos  that's what brexiters wanted, right ?.

I doubt very much any prescription costs your newly remembered friend was paying would be anywhere near the amount he'd be paying  in private health insurance cover. Assuming this friend exists. 

25 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Oh dear, oh dear.... how to cover this up? 

The OBR may or may not be right, but they were repeatedly wrong about the economic impact of the UK not joining the Euro Zone, they have repeatedly been wrong about the Euro Zone's economic recovery and they have admitted they were wrong in their assessments of the economic impact of the Pandemic. Why do you think they're right about Brexit? 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The difference is brexiters wanted spongeing foreigners to stop using their NHS while continuing to use the European equivalents. So when the UK quit the EU, UK citizens lost their right to reciprocal health care cover - cos  that's what brexiters wanted, right ?.

I doubt very much any prescription costs your newly remembered friend was paying would be anywhere near the amount he'd be paying  in private health insurance cover. Assuming this friend exists. 

Oh for god sake Behave eh. What would i possibly achieve from making up a completely uninteresting anedodate about this subject ?  Tell me? 

Actually I really dont like the inference you are making as well that Im just making up crap//  Again for what ?? Yes I have a wide variety of friends . 

13 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Are you are saying all Romanians Poles, & Bulgarians are racist? If I'm understanding you correctly (note the use of  "if" there) then you are a moron...

No, I'm not saying that all Romanians, Poles and Bulgarians are Racist. Are you saying that the Romanian, Polish and Bulgarian Govt's aren't racist. If I'm understanding you correctly (note the use of "if" there) then you are a moron. 

8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The OBR may or may not be right, but they were repeatedly wrong about the economic impact of the UK not joining the Euro Zone, they have repeatedly been wrong about the Euro Zone's economic recovery and they have admitted they were wrong in their assessments of the economic impact of the Pandemic. Why do you think they're right about Brexit? 

Ask them? 

More importantly , why would they think brexit is (going to be) a shit show ? 

Do the current economic impacts that are  attributable to brexit show a positive or negative impact on the economy ? 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

And there is the problem when you're stuck in the remainers paradigm. You once heard some idiot say this shit and you've been using it for the best part of a decade on which to base a whole campaign and an entire view of life outside the EU. The infighting, the far right and racist govt's, childish threats to non member states and the exploitation of cheap Eastern European Labour, should be enough to make you think, do I want to be part of this organisation? If the answer is yes, good luck to you. I'm out because this is behaviour that I can't tolerate.

WorldChampions1902
29 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

No, I voted, and campaigned to remain but having seen the un democratic response of the EU bully boys, and remainers like you celebrating the repatriation of UK citizens I'm out. This is what you said about elderly people being forced out of Spain:

I for one applaud Spain for, “Taking Back Control” of its borders. 

I'm with the Internationalists who welcome people of all colours and religions to our shores. You're with the Bully Boy protectionists who welcome cheap, white labour from racist EU states. You're a disgrace.

The tone of your posts betrays exactly how you voted during the referendum.

Nowhere in my posts do I “celebrate repatriation of U.K. citizens”. What I justifiably applaud is the right of other EU members to withdraw all reciprocal arrangements with the U.K., given the U.K. decision to Leave. A point that goes largely missed by many that voted for Brexit.

I too am very much an “internationalist”. However, I see little sense in increasing non EU immigration to compensate for the marked reduction in Immigration from EU countries, which is what is now happening. Meaning overall immigration figures remain largely unchanged. To use your unfortunate terminology, we have now replaced “cheap, white labour from racist EU states” with even cheaper ‘non-white’ labour from non racist, non-EU states.

As for you labelling me a “disgrace”, you are out of order. Take a deep breath, calm down and revisit this thread when you can conduct yourself in a manner more befitting this message board.

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

And there is the problem when you're stuck in the remainers paradigm. You once heard some idiot say this shit and you've been using it for the best part of a decade on which to base a whole campaign and an entire view of life outside the EU. The infighting, the far right and racist govt's, childish threats to non member states and the exploitation of cheap Eastern European Labour, should be enough to make you think, do I want to be part of this organisation? If the answer is yes, good luck to you. I'm out because this is behaviour that I can't tolerate.

Paradigm : a set of linguistic items that form mutually exclusive choices in particular syntactic roles

It's nothing to do with remoaners paradigm : it's the brexiter paradox (one of many ,like "taking bavk control) we're living with. The idea that they could have everything they currently have and deny the same to EU people in the UK. 

As for the EU : it is/was no more or less perfect than the mother of parliaments but the benefits of it were lost in a moment of madness when the ERG cult managed to convince people who could hardly have cared less before  2016 that it posed an existential threat to the UK way of life. 

The mention of far right , racist governments is an irrelevance : the EU doesn't elect these people.

In any case, this has to be the most far right, racist government we've had in the UK in modern history but that's life!.

Konrad von Carstein
21 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

No, I'm not saying that all Romanians, Poles and Bulgarians are Racist. Are you saying that the Romanian, Polish and Bulgarian Govt's aren't racist. If I'm understanding you correctly (note the use of "if" there) then you are a moron. 

Not sure the Polish government is racist,  maybe a bit inward looking,  can't speak for,  well any of them really and neither can you.

Two morons together then eh :)

9 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Ask them? 

More importantly , why would they think brexit is (going to be) a shit show ? 

Do the current economic impacts that are  attributable to brexit show a positive or negative impact on the economy ? 

I heard him this afternoon. You may have been inspired by him, but I thought he sounds like the sort of guy who does the rounds of bureaucratic organisations, pretendingf Economics is a Science and taking no responsibility when his predictions are wrong. I think in 5-10 years even remainers will realise that the EU had to be reformed or scrapped. Brexit itself isn't the problem, its the way its been implemented by rich Conservatives with little vision.

1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

I heard him this afternoon. You may have been inspired by him, but I thought he sounds like the sort of guy who does the rounds of bureaucratic organisations, pretendingf Economics is a Science and taking no responsibility when his predictions are wrong. I think in 5-10 years even remainers will realise that the EU had to be reformed or scrapped. Brexit itself isn't the problem, its the way its been implemented by rich Conservatives with little vision.

Every time you respond to me I'm going to ask you this. 

Francis Albert
56 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Your understanding is incorrect. 

Thanks for that correction. What is the fact than. How many were given residence status?

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

So we granted residence status for EU citizens who didn't live here? Great. I am delighted that the UK is maintaining its traditional  openness to others.

17 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The tone of your posts betrays exactly how you voted during the referendum.

Nowhere in my posts do I “celebrate repatriation of U.K. citizens”. What I justifiably applaud is the right of other EU members to withdraw all reciprocal arrangements with the U.K., given the U.K. decision to Leave. A point that goes largely missed by many that voted for Brexit.

I too am very much an “internationalist”. However, I see little sense in increasing non EU immigration to compensate for the marked reduction in Immigration from EU countries, which is what is now happening. Meaning overall immigration figures remain largely unchanged. To use your unfortunate terminology, we have now replaced “cheap, white labour from racist EU states” with even cheaper ‘non-white’ labour from non racist, non-EU states.

As for you labelling me a “disgrace”, you are out of order. Take a deep breath, calm down and revisit this thread when you can conduct yourself in a manner more befitting this message board.

I've made my opinions clear. I'm anti racist, pro immigration and an internationalist. You seem to have a problem with that. Good Night.

35 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

So we granted residence status for EU citizens who didn't live here? Great. I am delighted that the UK is maintaining its traditional  openness to others.

That's correct - it was granted, on application  : it wasn't "offered". 

And you forgot to mention "settled status". Brexit isn't/wasn't exactly Shangri-La for EU citizens.

So for all your sarcasm, let's concentrate on getting the facts right and dispel any notion this government was "offering" anyone anything. 

Edited by NANOJAMBO

5 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

What tradition is that? Ex-Colonials doing the work Filthy Brits wouldn't do and then hunted down like vermin to make the immigration numbers look better. 

News flash, it's the filth who live here that are taking things that don't belong to them. 

For example, Brits born in Scotland stealing people in England's jobs and homes. Especially in London. Maybe one day, they'll have had enough and send them back.

Edited by ri Alban

Maybe it's time to highlight the mass stench of People born in Scotland taking English Jobs, homes and everything that goes with it, to the Leave vote masses.

Yes, it is.

The Northern Brit are filthy thieves. Send them back. :yas: 

Me: They're no coming here, stick them in NI or Wales. And we've a few mair, if you can deal with them, anaw, that would be grand. Cheers 👍

Edited by ri Alban

The Mighty Thor
12 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

How many of the 'Spanish immigrants' are living and working here and contributing to the UK economy via taxes?

How many of the ex pats are retired to the Costas contributing little and draining Spanish resources?

Priti Patel couldn't wait to stop freedom of movement and to take back control. That's a two way street and the Spanish are rightly asking those without entitlement to stay to feck off back to whence they came. 

Shame. 

31 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

How many of the 'Spanish immigrants' are living and working here and contributing to the UK economy via taxes?

How many of the ex pats are retired to the Costas contributing little and draining Spanish resources?

Priti Patel couldn't wait to stop freedom of movement and to take back control. That's a two way street and the Spanish are rightly asking those without entitlement to stay to feck off back to whence they came. 

Shame. 

Yep. Its just sheer arrogance of the " Immigrants"  sorry ex pats that gets me. There are a few shows on the telly about them. Yeah I know its not fully representative of a large group but those ones couldn't be arsed learning the language, set up their own British " communities " and make no efforts to integrate and even show any curiosity about the courage. They seem to be there for the sun and cheap beer. 

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep. Its just sheer arrogance of the " Immigrants"  sorry ex pats that gets me. There are a few shows on the telly about them. Yeah I know its not fully representative of a large group but those ones couldn't be arsed learning the language, set up their own British " communities " and make no efforts to integrate and even show any curiosity about the courage. They seem to be there for the sun and cheap beer. 

image-28-10-21-08-14-1.jpeg

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What tradition is that? Ex-Colonials doing the work Filthy Brits wouldn't do and then hunted down like vermin to make the immigration numbers look better. 

News flash, it's the filth who live here that are taking things that don't belong to them. 

For example, Brits born in Scotland stealing people in England's jobs and homes. Especially in London. Maybe one day, they'll have had enough and send them back.

Less of that pater please Ri, thanks! 🤣

or was it Gordon brown you had in mind?