Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Very apt backdrop for the future of the UK especially if we continue with this Tory government. 

Much of the background is reminiscent of the winter of discontent under Labour governments 50 years ago.  In fact I'd guess that is where the images come from.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Meanwhile the Director General of the BBC gets a £75000 salary increase after a year in the job bringing his salary to £525,000 a year. Nice work if you can get it.

Wow -  a 15% increase, funded by us but without our consent. Outrageous.

Sounds like the old logic about why a company's CEO salary has to keep increasing even if the company is struggling .... "just to keep us competitive"    :wallbash:

scott herbertson
24 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Wow -  a 15% increase, funded by us but without our consent. Outrageous.

Sounds like the old logic about why a company's CEO salary has to keep increasing even if the company is struggling .... "just to keep us competitive"    :wallbash:

It's true

Boris should hang his head in shame. This is what happens when you politicise what should be a public service body. More cash for the already rich chums of the Etoniat

Chairman  Richard Sharp

"It was understood that Prime Minister Boris Johnson was very keen to appoint a Conservative to the role to counter a perceived left-wing bias at the broadcasting corporation. Sharp is reported to have given hundreds of thousands of pounds to the Conservative party over the years, attending the renowned fundraising dinner in 2013." The Tatler

The Mighty Thor
48 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Going to the press with the intention of causing panic amongst the public, which then puts the UK government under pressure.

There's been a slight shortage of fuel at very few forecourts for a couple of months now and nobody even noticed 

Was it not a government minister that gave it the Corporal Jones that started all this shit?

The only people putting the Conservative government under pressure to make knee jerk and generally calamitous decisions is the Conservative government. 

Nucky Thompson

The AA has seen an increase in callouts to breakdowns from people topping up with the wrong fuel amid a scramble at petrol stations :biggrin2:

I just can't believe there are posters on here who refuse to put any blame on Brexit for the current state of affairs. It's truly mind boggling

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Was it not a government minister that gave it the Corporal Jones that started all this shit?

The only people putting the Conservative government under pressure to make knee jerk and generally calamitous decisions is the Conservative government. 

It was indeed a Government minister who said there was no need to panic. And predictably that led to panic. Politicians these days are just plain stupid ... and that applies to all parties.

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I just can't believe there are posters on here who refuse to put any blame on Brexit for the current state of affairs. It's truly mind boggling

Of course Brexit is a contributory factor. I have not seen anyone deny that.  The objection is to the number of posters who suggest it is all about Brexit. Despite HGV driver shortages being common to much of Europe (Poland is particularly badly affected) and indeed beyond Europe.

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

A French minister having a pop at Brexit. Whatever next :lol:

There's a fuel crisis because the dafties are panic buying after a deliberate ploy created by the haulage industry.

Exactly 

3 hours ago, Cade said:

We don't live in a free market economy.

We never have.

Nobody does.

It's a myth.

Subsidies are flying about all over the place, and that's not a free market.

Housing benefit is nothing more than general taxation being used to keep rental prices nice and high for the boomer landlords.

Same goes for help to buy schemes. General taxation is again used to keep the housing bubble artificially inflated.

If we truly lived in a free market economy then rents would have to fall to meet what people could actually afford on their own without government help. Same goes for house prices.

Tons of different industries are being subsidised, which is uncompetitive and not free market.

Some are even "too big to fail" or "national strategic assets" like Steel and Banking.

These guys can cream off as much as they want, pay themselves huge bonuses, rack up billions in debt, all in the full and safe knowledge that the taxpayer will pick up the tab as they won't be allowed to go under no matter what.

It's a racket.

If we truly lived in a free market capitalist economy then nobody would get any subsidies and they would live or die on their own talent, pricing and market forces.

Good posting 

7 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Of course Brexit is a contributory factor. I have not seen anyone deny that.  The objection is to the number of posters who suggest it is all about Brexit. Despite HGV driver shortages being common to much of Europe (Poland is particularly badly affected) and indeed beyond Europe.

Yes it’s not just about Brexit but it suits some people’s narrative . Apparently the average age of truckers are in their 50 s and that coupled with low paid , crap working conditions etc have contributed to the “ crisis “ 

32 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

This is where I am confused.

Up until recently I became aware of UK having a shortage (foreign drivers had left the country). 

But how hell is the rest of Europe suddenly reporting mass shortages of HGV drivers.

periodictabledancer
7 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Yes. However, such is human nature in the "I'm alright Jack" way of the UK, that people are delighted to see others earn a proper wage for their work as long as it doesn't impact on them, and the differential between what different jobs earn is maintained if it favours them.

The extent of the togetherness of the UK population can be seen by the shenanigans at the petrol pumps and the panic buying of food and essentials at the start of Covid 19. The myth that British people have the "blitz spirit" is as laughable as the one about the "special relationship" with the US. Neither exists. The UK has gone to the dogs and we have only ourselves, as a collective population, to blame.

Top rant. 

periodictabledancer
18 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Queues at fuel stations. Food shortages. Prices going up. Whats next? Rationing electricity at certain times of the day?

Brexit = Slowly turning the UK into Zimbabwe!

Just drove to Cornwall from Midlands over the last few days. 

Service stations on M5 with no fuel. 

Pubs/cafes etc, too numerous  to believe , all need staff. Ads on almost every window. 

Restaurants closing early/refusing bookings cos no staff. 

Some places not doing takeout food as insufficient staff to cope . 

Last ever UK holiday for me. 

42 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Up until recently I became aware of UK having a shortage (foreign drivers had left the country). 

But how hell is the rest of Europe suddenly reporting mass shortages of HGV drivers.

According to the Dutch trucker union rep Edwin Atema, pretty much the same problems which we are seeing in the UK, that being an ageing workforce, poor pay and conditions.  He was on Sky News about an hour or so ago and he repeated most of what he had said on BBC Radio 4 this morning, (not the shit part) the link to that is below.  He said that he's seeing thousands of young drivers maybe only staying in the industry 2 years, 5 years and they don't see a future so the leave and often are getting better pay and conditions in other industries.

America is also seeing the same issues, a growing shortage of truckers.

Here is the link to the interview with Edwin Atema, it's interesting what he says, that there has been a problem in Europe long before Covid & Brexit, and that has resulted with drivers leaving the industry.

https://trans.info/en/dutch-trucker-union-representative-eu-workers-won-t-help-uk-out-of-the-sh-t-255992

I agree with him, I can't see many drivers from the EU coming over to the UK for only 3 months, you might get some, but I don't think that many tbh.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

According to the Dutch trucker union rep Edwin Atema, pretty much the same problems which we are seeing in the UK, that being an ageing workforce, poor pay and conditions.  He was on Sky News about an hour or so ago and he repeated most of what he had said on BBC Radio 4 this morning, (not the shit part) the link to that is below.  He said that he's seeing thousands of young drivers maybe only staying in the industry 2 years, 5 years and they don't see a future so the leave and often are getting better pay and conditions in other industries.

Here is the link to the interview with Edwin Atema, it's interesting what he says, that there has been a problem in Europe long before Covid & Brexit, and that has resulted with drivers leaving the industry.

https://trans.info/en/dutch-trucker-union-representative-eu-workers-won-t-help-uk-out-of-the-sh-t-255992

I agree with him, I can't see many drivers from the EU coming over to the UK for only 3 months, you might get some, but I don't think that many tbh.

As has been said before, Brexit is a lot like when Ginger Spice over estimated her viability as a solo artist and left the Spice Girls

Francis Albert
41 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

A whole raft of issues from what I have read. Aging workforce. Poor wages. Poor conditions of employment. Haulage companies not investing to replace those leaving ...  they have relied on recruiting cheap labour from abroad   Covid has disrupted training and  testing of new HGV drivers. (The shortage extends beyond Europe to the USA.) And Covid has as in many other areas shown how much you miss by working unless you really have to - leading to shortage of staff in many businesses. Brexit is a factor in the short term but the underllying issues matter more. Essential workers are underpaid - see the appeal for bus drivers on the back of buses almost everywhere you go.

I don't think there has ever been a problem recruiting Director Generals of the BBC.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

As has been said before, Brexit is a lot like when Ginger Spice over estimated her viability as a solo artist and left the Spice Girls

Using that analogy.

You couldn't blame her for leaving because the band was shite and talentless 

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Using that analogy.

Yet, as she discovered after leaving, on a completely different level of talent from her.

And now she's a bloated old has been in a union jack dress, trying to appear relevant at the UN to an audience that wishes she'd just **** off.

I'm sure brexit will be fine though

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Yip, but also and has been said before the HGV driver shortages have been brewing long before brexit & covid, as confirmed here by a Dutch union rep.  Sure the UK has the added impact of brexit thrown into the mix, however as many people both here & in mainland Europe have been saying, it was an industry already in trouble before brexit.

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, but also and has been said before the HGV driver shortages have been brewing long before brexit & covid, as confirmed here by a Dutch union rep.  Sure the UK has the added impact of brexit thrown into the mix, however as many people both here & in mainland Europe have been saying, it was an industry already in trouble before brexit.

Yeah, brexit might not be the root of all problems but it doesn't half make most problems worse

37 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Lol 

28 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Using that analogy.

Come on they were a girl band . They were actually just a pop band so it was light east music with no deeper message really . Just dance music . Collectively they were fine as a group but individually they were chronic I feel . 

7 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye, laughing at folk going all gammon and blaming everything on Brexit.

Everything is Brexit's fault and that's why the UK is a worldwide laughing stock. Its brilliant. 😁

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Yeah, brexit might not be the root of all problems but it doesn't half make most problems worse

It certainly isn't helping, I'll give you that.

Nucky Thompson
Just now, JamesM48 said:

Lol 

Come on they were a girl band . They were actually just a pop band so it was light east music with no deeper message really . Just dance music . Collectively they were fine as a group but individually they were chronic I feel . 

I'll take your word for it James :biggrin2:

That Victoria Beckham got right on my nerves though

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Everything is Brexit's fault and that's why the UK is a worldwide laughing stock. Its brilliant. 😁

Off course it is :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'll take your word for it James :biggrin2:

That Victoria Beckham got right on my nerves though

I wasn’t a massive fan of them  but liked some of their songs on nights out in pubs I Suppose .  But they were quintessential pop really . Marketed and manufactured obviously to a certain demograph . 

11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Off course it is :thumbsup:

It is. Prior to Brexit there was loads of food, petrol, lorry drivers, fruit pickers and all the other stuff that there's hee haw of now. The GamGams broke the country with their stupid brains. 😊

Edited by Savage Vince

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Source for this?

Our Polish friends are reporting no issues with shortages or blips in the supply chain (based in Łodz, 3rd largest city in Polska)

Dutch hauling union rep, live on BBC Radio4 this morning:

"In the short term, I think [the UK's visa scheme] will be a dead end.
I think some kind of Marshall Plan would be needed to bring the whole industry back to the surface.
For example, in the UK there is not even a collective [union] agreement for the whole road transport industry so it’s still up to individual employers to compete on working conditions and that’s never a good sign to drag an industry back to the surface.
So more is needed, and I think the EU workers we speak to will not go to the UK for a short term visa to help the UK out of the sh*t they created themselves."

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Source for this?

Our Polish friends are reporting no issues with shortages or blips in the supply chain (based in Łodz, 3rd largest city in Polska)

Poland is 50% of the population of the UK, yet has a shortage of 124,000 HGV drivers

CLECAT | DRIVER SHORTAGE IMPACTS ROAD FREIGHT MARKET

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Poland is 50% of the population of the UK, yet has a shortage of 124,000 HGV drivers

Thanks I was about to post CLECAT. 

They say UK is 76000 short.

25000 EU drivers left since Brexit so Brexit is only part of the UK's problems and nothing to do with shortages in Poland. Or Germany. Or of course the USA.

Average age of HGV drivers here was reported on the news tonight as 57 which is quite an indictment of the haulage companies' business planning.

Edited by Francis Albert

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Dutch are now allowing recent immigrants to do their HGV in Arabic such is their shortage of drivers. In Germany there is a shortfall of around 60k and that's with many Polish drivers working there. In Poland they are down around 140k drivers. So it's really **** all to do with Brexit. 

Konrad von Carstein
41 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

26 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks I was about to post CLECAT. 

They say UK is 76000 short.

25000 EU drivers left since Brexit so Brexit is only part of the UK's problems and nothing to do with shortages in Poland. Or Germany. Or of course the USA.

Average age of HGV drivers here was reported on the news tonight as 57 which is quite an indictment of the haulage companies' business planning.

Wasn't being confrontational lads,  asked the question during a phone call and our friends said nothing had changed and things were normal.

Of course that could change rapidly if your link is correct.

28 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

The Dutch are now allowing recent immigrants to do their HGV in Arabic such is their shortage of drivers. In Germany there is a shortfall of around 60k and that's with many Polish drivers working there. In Poland they are down around 140k drivers. So it's really **** all to do with Brexit. 

Spot on. 

There was the guy in charge of UK road haulage association on the radio saying there's a shortage of 400k drivers in Europe and 100k in the UK. He claimed it was all to do with poor working conditions and salaries. 

6 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

He right about “Intellectual Fraud” the half baked Eton Mess and the beer swilling fraud Farage amongst others like plonker Mogg sold us a flawed dream Del Boy style.

He is, of course.  But lads, in all fairness yiz are hamming up the Brexit thing.  It is contributing a bit to the issues you're seeing - but only to some degree.  Post-Covid inflation is not confined to the UK.  There are significant logistics and supply chain issues in North America and in Europe, and probably in other parts of the world as well.

6 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

But all along, the movers & shakers saw it as a massive business opportunity to rinse us for higher profits ?

6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Would you prefer that we lived in a free market economy then? A real, survival of the fittest one. No subsidies, no state aid, zilch.

6 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The long and short of it, right there.

Through two major crises - Covid-19 and the post-2008 liquidity crisis - all the world's major governments, treasury departments and central banks pumped money into world economies by way of different forms of quantitative easing.  At the same time, they repressed interest rates to ensure that interest on government borrowing would not become unsustainable.  The effect of this combination of policies is to drive up equities and asset values, which means that the richest people who own the bulk of those get even richer, even faster.  Governments have been carrying on these policies with the volume turned up to 11 more or less non-stop since 2008, and that was piled on top of an orgy of financial and capital markets' deregulation that took place in the period from the 1980s. 

The world is organised around corporate welfare.  Amounts being paid to subsidise the poor are but a tiny fraction of what's being paid to subsidise the rich.  And it is middle-class taxpayers who pay for most of it with their taxes, and poorer people who pay the rest by foregoing income and decent services.

It's a racket.  It always has been, but now they've all dropped even the slightest pretence of governments doing stuff for ordinary citizens rather than those who are already seriously loaded.  This is not a British problem; it's an everywhere problem.

3 hours ago, Smithee said:

Yes, but don't say that to the cheerleaders.  :laugh:

20210926-082714.jpg

46 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

He is, of course.  But lads, in all fairness yiz are hamming up the Brexit thing.  It is contributing a bit to the issues you're seeing - but only to some degree.  Post-Covid inflation is not confined to the UK.  There are significant logistics and supply chain issues in North America and in Europe, and probably in other parts of the world as well.

I believe Covid is masking the truth of Brexit which goes some way in relieving the pressure that should be being piled on Johnson and co. No specific proof but they are dodging a bullet at the moment. The big give away for me is the constant lies Johnson keeps telling. I’m baffled how he gets away with it. 

2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I believe Covid is masking the truth of Brexit which goes some way in relieving the pressure that should be being piled on Johnson and co. No specific proof but they are dodging a bullet at the moment. The big give away for me is the constant lies Johnson keeps telling. I’m baffled how he gets away with it. 

Johnson lying isn't a big give away about any policy matter.  The man lies because that's all he knows.  If the choice were a Brexit-induced social and economic collapse, a dose of Covid-19, or listening to Johnson, which would you choose?  I'm ****ed if I know.  :laugh:

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Through two major crises - Covid-19 and the post-2008 liquidity crisis - all the world's major governments, treasury departments and central banks pumped money into world economies by way of different forms of quantitative easing.  At the same time, they repressed interest rates to ensure that interest on government borrowing would not become unsustainable.  The effect of this combination of policies is to drive up equities and asset values, which means that the richest people who own the bulk of those get even richer, even faster.  Governments have been carrying on these policies with the volume turned up to 11 more or less non-stop since 2008, and that was piled on top of an orgy of financial and capital markets' deregulation that took place in the period from the 1980s. 

The world is organised around corporate welfare.  Amounts being paid to subsidise the poor are but a tiny fraction of what's being paid to subsidise the rich.  And it is middle-class taxpayers who pay for most of it with their taxes, and poorer people who pay the rest by foregoing income and decent services.

It's a racket.  It always has been, but now they've all dropped even the slightest pretence of governments doing stuff for ordinary citizens rather than those who are already seriously loaded.  This is not a British problem; it's an everywhere problem.

A decent analysis. But someone from what is probably the biggest tax haven in Europe for some of the biggest corporations in the world should know!

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Very eloquent summary there, Uly. 👍   Pretty much covers "the way it is".    It's probably  what Angela Rayner was trying to say at the Labour Conference the other day, but kept it short - "Tories are scum"  😀

14 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Very eloquent summary there, Uly. 👍   Pretty much covers "the way it is".    It's probably  what Angela Rayner was trying to say at the Labour Conference the other day, but kept it short - "Tories are scum"  😀

Thanks.

The UK has no opposition in Parliament.  We do, but that doesn't necessarily make us better off.  :eek:

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

In the UK the response to the 2008 financial crisis was the work of Gordon Brown. Admittedly for Angela Rayner he probably qualifies as Tory scum. 

https://orynski.eu/20-reasons-why-there-is-shortage-of-drivers-in-the-uk/

Interesting read.

This part alone tells you we won't be seeing much take up from EU drivers when Patel turns the immigration tap to "on" :

European drivers who’ll come here will have, of course, driving licences issued by their countries of origin. For many years it was not a problem, as EU licences are mutually recognized by European countries. Then, with DVLA moving their penalty point system online, the EU licence holders become “second class drivers” – while during the time of the paper counterparts they had British counterpart licences issues as everyone else, the computer system leaves them behind: if your licence is not issued by Britain it is impossible to check how many points you have in Britain using DVLA online services, even though they DO put penalty points and other information on your record.

That puts them in the worse position when competing for jobs with UK licence holders, as many companies, third party licence check services or insurance companies simply won’t bother with checking the record of the UE licence holder, as it is simply too complicated. Of course, you can solve this problem by exchanging your EU licence for a British one (which, to drive trucks, you have to do after a maximum of five years, or when you hit 45 years, whichever is later), but with Brexit, many drivers – younger, or those who just wanted to come here for a short period of time – are not willing to do it now, as while EU licence is still valid in Britain, British licences are not valid in the UE any more, which means that they would need to obtain International Driving Licence to go for holidays to their own country, and if they decide to look for a job back in the EU, they cannot even start until they exchange their British licence back.

With Brexit, another hoop to jump through is also their residency status. It’s an employer’s duty to check if the driver they want to employ is in Britain legally – that mean if he has a visa, or if he has a settled status (for which, the EU citizens who reside in Britain have no physical proof, so it all depends again on the online services that are known to be down quite often, making it impossible – unless you call that helpdesk that charges you over 10 pounds for 10 minutes). That, again, puts them at a disadvantage when they have to compete for work with natives. And I know, there is a driver shortage, so the jobs are plentiful, but remember that there are good and bad jobs around…

1 hour ago, Boy Daniel said:

Starmer is trying to land some punches on him, but doesn't seem to be making much  impression on voters.   Love him or loathe him, Boris is an enigma.    A tousle-haired fat naked emperor who seems to have convinced millions of folk that he's wearing the elegant new clothes.       Despite his poor grasp of detail and bumbling buffoonery - or maybe because of it - lots of folk still seem to trust his judgement and the things he says.       Doesn't seem to matter that most of it is  blatant  "play for time" b*llocks.      He's made sure that none of the hardline media get to interview him, so the only media criticism comes in print from the likes of political writers at the  Guardian & Independent. 

Its not just Brexit either - there's plenty other topics that his government should be pilloried for.    The policy on who pays for replacement cladding on high-rise flats is disgraceful.    The "nothing to see here" outcome from the Greensill lobbying inquiry was suspect (at best), giving a glimpse of the murky world of how government contracts can be  awarded behind closed doors if the "right" people say so.   Etc, etc    

Just why young ladies continue to swoon over a fat 50-something serial philanderer is beyond me.