Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's pure deflection by rancid gammonists like Brigden.  HGV licence holders who have chosen not to continue a career as an HGV driver are essentially no more an HGV driver in waiting than a lion tamer is.  The solution is to open up the labour market to people who do want to fill the jobs.

And that is part of the problem, as there isn't enough people, especially younger people who are wanting to do the job, this is what many in the industry have been saying for many years now.

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that is part of the problem, as there isn't enough people, especially younger people who are wanting to do the job, this is what many in the industry have been saying for many years now.

That's my experience of it too.

WorldChampions1902
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's pure deflection by rancid gammonists like Brigden.  HGV licence holders who have chosen not to continue a career as an HGV driver are essentially no more an HGV driver in waiting than a lion tamer is.  The solution is to open up the labour market to people who do want to fill the jobs.

I cannot believe anyone is giving any credence to Bridgen’s BS. This is the same guy that only a few weeks ago was blaming Labour for the HGV driver shortage.

https://www.indy100.com/politics/andrew-bridgen-lorry-driver-shortage-b1894645

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The Brexit we had should not have been so dogmatic and rigid in terms of the labour market.  We've always needed foreign labour of all kinds to fill the gaps.  They were well warned about cutting off the supply of EU labour.  The internal UK labour market has never been dynamic,  reactive,  fexible enough to adapt to the type of obsolete Tory dogma of the free market economy meeting every demand.  

Nucky Thompson

Interesting listening to Radio 1 newsbeat. They were interviewing a few HGV drivers who said the industry had suffered from 'dropout' a couple of years ago because British drivers were being undercut by cheap, inferior European drivers.

Also, they are treated like shite and the working conditions are horrendous 

41 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Brexit we had should not have been so dogmatic and rigid in terms of the labour market.  We've always needed foreign labour of all kinds to fill the gaps.  They were well warned about cutting off the supply of EU labour.  The internal UK labour market has never been dynamic,  reactive,  fexible enough to adapt to the type of obsolete Tory dogma of the free market economy meeting every demand.  

Brexit does have a part to play, but it's not the whole story, there has been a recruitment crisis not only in the UK but also the EU for many years, indeed they were saying that even in America there is a shortage of drivers, and I'm pretty sure I heard that Asia has problems as well, there seems to be a world wide shortage of HGV drivers right now.

Maybe it's time to see if more things can be moved by rail rather than by road, I don't know if that would help.

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

No problem getting fuel, all the pumps were taken, but just drove up behind the two cars fuelling and was next in line.

No shortage of anything in the Supermarket either.

The only hassle today was the amount of HGV's I was stuck behind traveling down on the A1 :muggy:

It's weird, I have genuinely not seen any empty shelves in my local Lidl, Aldi or Sainsburys over the last few weeks. I'm starting to think all the pics I see on social media are photoshopped.

My main concern is my local told me on Wednesday they are down to their last gas cannister..

45 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Interesting listening to Radio 1 newsbeat. They were interviewing a few HGV drivers who said the industry had suffered from 'dropout' a couple of years ago because British drivers were being undercut by cheap, inferior European drivers.

Exactly the same that happened in hospitality, now look at the problems in that industry as well, lack of workers and locals not willing to do the job now, not after the way many were treated in the past.  I speak from personal experience about this, but that's another story.

20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly the same that happened in hospitality, now look at the problems in that industry as well, lack of workers and locals not willing to do the job now, not after the way many were treated in the past.  I speak from personal experience about this, but that's another story.

My wife has just put her notice in at Caffe Nero after 7 years as a manager (Glasgow area have lost 3 managers in last month). The way they treated her over the last 18 months, in particular, the last 4 months, has been pretty awful. They are struggling big time to fill barista and manager roles, people simply aren't prepared to work so many hours for such shitty pay.

4 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

My wife has just put her notice in at Caffe Nero after 7 years as a manager (Glasgow area have lost 3 managers in last month). The way they treated her over the last 18 months, in particular, the last 4 months, has been pretty awful. They are struggling big time to fill barista and manager roles, people simply aren't prepared to work so many hours for such shitty pay.

The great resignation continues?

The explosion of the job market is certainly going to force the hand of employers to adapt or die in many instances imo.

Good on her 👍

No problem getting fuel, all the pumps were taken, but just drove up behind the two cars fuelling and was next in line.

No shortage of anything in the Supermarket either.

The only hassle today was the amount of HGV's I was stuck behind traveling down on the A1 :muggy:

Morrisons , Tesco and Asda are all nose to tail down my way. Plenty empty shelves anaw or the magic trick of putting junk on the empty shelves to make it look normal. Storage boxes taking up where the bottles water should be.

:hypno: Nothing wrong tho .

Inferior. Now that's Brexit minded folk for you, they think everyone is inferior to them. Most Brits are lazy *******s who want everything for nothing.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Inferior. Now that's Brexit minded folk for you, they think everyone is inferior to them. Most Brits are lazy *******s who want everything for nothing.

Yes.

Johnny Foreigner was here taking all of our jobs. Now he’s gone home, the British don’t want the jobs that he vacated. It seems plenty of the jobs, in various industries, that were vacated remain available. Employers are used to paying a lower wage to the foreign workforce, which British people won’t accept. That could take years to readjust in the minds of employers and workforce.
Taking the HGV driver pool as a separate issue, why couldn’t the government not have allowed temporary visas to keep goods moving, whilst engaging in a program of recruitment and training to gradually fill the jobs with newly qualified British drivers. They could have been doing this over the years of transition before actually leaving, instead of just slamming down the shutters at the last minute.

Anyone would think that the government has no clue as to what they’re doing and no forward planning, other than just saying it’s nothing to do with them.

Nucky Thompson
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You work in the building trade. Have you never been undercut by cheap, inferior 'tradesmen'?

One week they're brickies, 2 weeks later the same people are spreads, then electricians etc

Jack of all trades, masters at none.

I've made more money this year than I've ever done and I don't even need to advertise 

16 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

That's the sort of thing which makes incidences like your wife's case all the more baffling, they surely must know that to fill the post of an experienced manager with similar quality is going to be difficult, but they still treat people like shit and no doubts wonder why they quit.

Many employers really need to have a long hard look at themselves, if they want to survive, because many won't.

23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The great resignation continues?

The explosion of the job market is certainly going to force the hand of employers to adapt or die in many instances imo.

Good on her 👍

Different circumstances but I work in Plant Hire (I'm office based) and we're continuing to grow at a staggeringly quick rate. But again, we can hardly fill vacancies - people want flexibility of some home working and a decent wage. Something old school industries like plant & construction just don't like to do.

it does mean we're all working like mad at Head office but I totally back workers taking a stand and demanding better. I think over the last 1.5 years people have really taken a look at what they want out of a job. A better work life balance and fairer pay.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It turns out membership of the EU was the best thing to happen to the UK.

The UK doesn't have any more argument against Scottish independence. We're fecked because of the Union(and always have been), not independence. Brexit and Boris are the best thing to happen, ever. Roll on the winter. They'll be riots on the streets.

Nae power, nae gas, nae petrol,

Me "Aye but ,I thought we produced plenty"

Overlord/Keepers " No, Engl... I mean the UK needs it, now feck up Scotland and do as your told, give us your stuff and feck up. We'll decide what you get, Right!"

Me 🖕

I agree mate 👍

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's all fine, but it wasn't an unknown quantity to the government. They knew this, they still bashed on and did **** all to mitigate.

All we're doing is describing one of the problems the government completely ignored with their pandering to wankers

They had 46 years of constant fecking moaning about Europe to come up with solid plans as to what to do after we got back out.

They've done shite-all planning.

46 years.

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Lots of folk have HGV licences and have never worked in the supply industry, Firemen, farmers, squaddies, horse owners to name a few.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Deke Thornton said:

You can thank the BBC for that. Huge headline online this morning about closed petrol stations then first line of report stating this had affected, ‘a very small number of Esso and BP sites.

The national broadcaster that prefers sensationalism. They’ll be keeping this up until wee Fergus finds a new Covid variant for them to scare us with.

It's fecking stupid. A couple of BP forecourts have to temporary closed, the media are going OTT and the stupid are losing their shit.

Who even gets their petrol from BP anyway? They're way more expensive than supermarkets.

It's a deliberate ploy to cause panic and put the Government under pressure to let the cheap labour back in

15 minutes ago, Deke Thornton said:

Millions of EU citizens have elected to remain in the UK post-brexit. Strange that the ones who cleared off all seem to have been lorry drivers and fruit pickers.

:interehjrling:

At a time of known limited numbers in the industry Britain made itself less attractive to the smaller group HGV drivers.

The government's own reports said it would happen, and it has.

Interestingly it's also only now that industry seems to be trying pushing their own training programmes and recruitment programmes for HGV drivers. It's been incredibly short sighted by many actors in this. I'll be honest I wasn't aware it was the government's responsibility to ensure private businesses had enough trained staff to operate. Good to know it is, I'll make sure I put my next request for resource into number 10 instead 😂

4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Interestingly it's also only now that industry seems to be trying pushing their own training programmes and recruitment programmes for HGV drivers. It's been incredibly short sighted by many actors in this. I'll be honest I wasn't aware it was the government's responsibility to ensure private businesses had enough trained staff to operate. Good to know it is, I'll make sure I put my next request for resource into number 10 instead 😂

It is the government's responsibility to respond to circumstances that affect the nation's key industries and not to make matters worse

HartleyLegend3
8 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

It's already started. Not the best picture but every fuel pump in use this morning with queues behind them. This was at 8.20am. 

IMG-20210924-WA0000.thumb.jpg.30848e0c366c4bb934f8e9ae004f483f.jpg

I have 1/4 of a tank left. That will keep me going until the arseholes move onto panicking about something else. Christmas tree shortages or whatever. 

Drove past Seafield garage. They are queuing out on to the main road. 

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It is the government's responsibility to respond to circumstances that affect the nation's key industries and not to make matters worse

As it is those industries themselves. Better yet, rather than respond to them, proactively manage them. They've only know for 4+ years this has been around the corner. If they're such key industries they won't mind improving the working conditions and salaries will they?

The government is making it worse, because people voted for this idiotic idea. That doesn't suddenly mean none of the other issues don't still exist and it's now the government's responsibility to resource private business. I'm all in favour of key industries being nationalised where it absolutely would be their responsibility, but they aren't, and it isn't.

Edit: edited twice as this was appallingly constructed 😂 apologies

Edited by Taffin

HartleyLegend3

The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has claimed Boris Johnson asked him for an “emergency” deal to ease shortages of an unspecified food product, amid concerns about further disruption to supermarket supplies.

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/24/boris-johnson-asked-for-emergency-food-deal-says-jair-bolsonaro-brazilian-president?__twitter_impression=true

1 minute ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

The Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, has claimed Boris Johnson asked him for an “emergency” deal to ease shortages of an unspecified food product, amid concerns about further disruption to supermarket supplies.

https://amp.theguardian.com/food/2021/sep/24/boris-johnson-asked-for-emergency-food-deal-says-jair-bolsonaro-brazilian-president?__twitter_impression=true

The big questions from that are:

1. What on earth do we need to import so badly from Brazil?

2. Why is Boris Johnson trying to export Irish goods to Brazil?

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

As it is those industries themselves. Better yet, rather than respond to them, proactively manage them. They've only know for 4+ years this has been around the corner. If they're such key industries they won't mind improving the working conditions and salaries will they?

The government is making it worse, because people voted for this idiotic idea. That doesn't suddenly mean none of the other issues don't still exist and it it's not the government's responsibility to resource private business. I'm all in favour of key industries being nationalised where it absolutely would be their responsibility, but they aren't, and it isn't.

We didn't have to have the radge brexit we ended up with. The government have made a royal **** of this and put more pressure on already pressurised industries.

We haven't even started doing imports right yet and the whole thing's creaking.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

We didn't have to have the radge brexit we ended up with. The government have made a royal **** of this and put more pressure on already pressurised industries.

We haven't even started doing imports right yet and the whole thing's creaking.

I don't disagree. It's a totally shambolic and mental situation to find ourselves. The Brexiteers and Tory government are cretins. Don't mistake my recognition of the complexities of the HGV driver shortage and who's responsibility it is for fixing it as thinking Brexit and how it's being handled as anything other imbecilic. 

There's plenty that is 100% their fault to have a go at them over. As I mentioned before I don't think this one is entirely of their making or their responsibility to fix, but others do and I'm happy to respect their opinion and their superior knowledge whilst remaining committed to my belief and knowledge of it 👍👍

20 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

No gas crisis in Germany, I'm sure that'll come as a real comfort to the 300K+ German households which have just seen an 11.5% increase in their bills.  https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/german-households-face-115-rise-gas-bills-2021-09-20/

9 hours ago, Victorian said:

100,000 deficit of HGV drivers and the road haulage people ask the transport secretary to relax visa rules for foreign drivers.  Alas Mr Shapps says he doesn't want UK drivers to be forced out by being undercut by cheaper EU labour.

:vrface:

World beating.

FADfe5TXIAAXglf.jpg

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

No gas crisis in Germany, I'm sure that'll come as a real comfort to the 300K+ German households which have just seen an 11.5% increase in their bills.  https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/german-households-face-115-rise-gas-bills-2021-09-20/

Pity for them that they don't have the UK energy price cap that protects consumers.

They don't have Brexit though :biggrin2:

1 hour ago, Deke Thornton said:

You can thank the BBC for that. Huge headline online this morning about closed petrol stations then first line of report stating this had affected, ‘a very small number of Esso and BP sites.

The national broadcaster that prefers sensationalism. They’ll be keeping this up until wee Fergus finds a new Covid variant for them to scare us with.

Sky are every bit as bad.

Was reading today that BP said that these limited supply issues have been ongoing for the last week, but nobody seemed to notice the odd petrol station being out of fuel, until now.

Yeh, that'll be once the media got a hold of it and induced panic into the country, the media have been stoking panic in the country anytime and anyhow they can and for any reason, be it fuel, gas, food, CO2, covid, bog rolls and in the summer it was water & beer.

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Did it work?

It must have.

We've got a few sitting their tests next week according to Grant Shapps :whistling:

HartleyLegend3
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

The big questions from that are:

1. What on earth do we need to import so badly from Brazil?

2. Why is Boris Johnson trying to export Irish goods to Brazil?

Apparently it's Turkeys.. 

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Jesus having to beg that absolute lunatic :facepalm: 

Nucky Thompson

Some retweets from the Irish on that above

'Yes longest lockdown in Europe and a very ineffective health system despite Ireland spending at EU averages for years now. But the thicko EU serfs would love to blame everything on Brexit'

'A lot of EU builders left Ireland because of Varadkars govt extended lockdown and those builder aren't coming back'

Just said on the news that BP have 20 out of 1200 stations closed and Tesco have 2 out of 500, everybody else is reporting that they have no issues, apart from people panic buying, which is causing bigger problems than the initial driver problems.

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I had to get fuel yesterday and there was a slightly bigger queue than normal, but nothing particularly untoward. 

Some of the queue's they showed on TV were way round the corner type of queue's, it's just pathetic panickers.

periodictabledancer
25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just said on the news that BP have 20 out of 1200 stations closed and Tesco have 2 out of 500, everybody else is reporting that they have no issues, apart from people panic buying, which is causing bigger problems than the initial driver problems.

Anybody wondering why BP happened to mention something of no apparent  significance to govt/ the media ? 

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yep. Selfish arseholes fecking it up for everyone else. 

Me me me and feck the lot of you.

Disgusting.

Wouldn't surprise me if half of them didn't need to fill up, but it'll be the me me me attitude with some.

One of the people interviewed waiting in a queue was a community nurse who needed petrol, it's the likes of her who can't get fuel because of some twat filling up their car for it to sit in a garage all week-end, which no doubts there'll be a few like that.

periodictabledancer
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wouldn't surprise me if half of them didn't need to fill up, but it'll be the me me me attitude with some.

One of the people interviewed waiting in a queue was a community nurse who needed petrol, it's the likes of her who can't get fuel because of some twat filling up their car for it to sit in a garage all week-end, which no doubts there'll be a few like that.

How can you put fuel in a car that doesn't need it ? 

1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

Anybody wondering why BP happened to mention something of no apparent  significance to govt/ the media ? 

I don't know how the media got a hold of the story, I don't know if BP said anything, they hadn't for the last week seemingly.