Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, Dazo said:
Cool I should listen to someone else’s view rather than my own experiences ? 

6447A925-5B04-4FB1-A40A-164B126ADCF6.jpeg

F4AEF85B-311E-4F46-ABE7-FFAB671A8165.jpeg

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Your passport is inspected to ensure no breach of 90/180 day rule and it's stamped. 

Neither of which happened previously. 

It's not exactly the same and it takes longer ,causing delays. 

See Dover. 

I'm the same as Dazo. 

Been away 3 times this year and apart from getting a stamp on my passport, which takes a couple of seconds at security, I never noticed anything different

periodictabledancer
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm the same as Dazo. 

Been away 3 times this year and apart from getting a stamp on my passport, which takes a couple of seconds at security, I never noticed anything different

My answer to you is the same.

It's fundamentally different ,it  takes longer .

If it didn't there wouldn't be queues in Dover. 

Just back a couple of days ago from France on the ferry to Portsmouth. It used to be just a quick look at the passport and through, now it’s a more thorough check and passport stamps.It only takes  a minute or so longer but there were maybe around 200cars in the queue. Those minutes soon add up.

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, buzz said:

Just back a couple of days ago from France on the ferry to Portsmouth. It used to be just a quick look at the passport and through, now it’s a more thorough check and passport stamps.It only takes  a minute or so longer but there were maybe around 200cars in the queue. Those minutes soon add up.

They certainly do, you just described an extra 3 hours 20 minutes in that queue alone, never mind the congestion it generates.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

They certainly do, you just described an extra 3 hours 20 minutes in that queue alone, never mind the congestion it generates.

There were 3 booths open to check them but I suppose that still adds over an hour to the overall waiting time.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, buzz said:

There were 3 booths open to check them but I suppose that still adds over an hour to the overall waiting time.

👍

Going to Spain now is going to involve more checks. Return ticket, enough money for your stay, proof of address. 

Additional documents required by tourists

At Spanish border control, you may need to:

• show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay
  • show proof of accommodation for your stay, for example, a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home), or an invitation from your host or proof of their address if staying with a third party, friends or family. The Spanish government has clarified that the “carta de invitation” is one of the options available to prove that you have accommodation if staying with friends or family. More information is available from the Spanish Ministry of Interior.
Edited by Imaman

The way forward it makes perfect sense to me anyway.

François Decoster, vice president of the Haute-de-France region, which includes Calais, said the UK had gone back 30 years because of Brexit and suggested the UK should ask the EU to let them join Schengen - the arrangement that allows free movement of people on the continent.

It would solve the shortage of NHS workers in England for a start. 

Edited by Imaman

Nucky Thompson
24 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Going to Spain now is going to involve more checks. Return ticket, enough money for your stay, proof of address. 

• show proof of accommodation for your stay, for example, a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting your own property (e.g. second home), or an invitation from your host or proof of their address if staying with a third party, friends or family. The Spanish government has clarified that the “carta de invitation” is one of the options available to prove that you have accommodation if staying with friends or family. More information is available from the Spanish Ministry of Interior.

I'm just back from Spain and they never even checked your vaccine status, even though that's still a rule.

5 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm just back from Spain and they never even checked your vaccine status, even though that's still a rule.

I went through in February and offered my vaccine status and they just waved me through too. Passport stamped though 

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

My answer to you is the same.

It's fundamentally different ,it  takes longer .

If it didn't there wouldn't be queues in Dover. 

Is that your experience ? Just saying mines isn’t any different.

There were never queues at Dover prior to brexit ? 

Shooter McGavin
8 hours ago, Dazo said:

In what way is it harder ? I’ve been away a few times this year and other than a stamp in my passport it was the exact same for me. 

Theres this place called Dover, mate.

I’m sure you’ve seen it in the news recently.

Jambo-Jimbo

Without wanting to get involved in the wider Brexit debate.

On my recent trip to Madrid the only difference at passport control post-brexit was that I went through a different booth (non EU) and got my passport stamped, the officer still scanned my passport the same as before, it took seconds, in fact it actually took longer to get back into the UK than into Spain.

Covid certificates, whilst there were people there and tables set up for testing, I didn't see anybody either being checked or tested, even if someone was stopped they would have been taken aside, thus not holding up the rest.

As for maybe having to show how much money we had etc, well they'd have a hard job, as we only had €52 on us (money left over from a previous trip), a prepaid card and our bank cards, we took money out at an ATM and used contactless.  Less and less people carry cash these days, even abroad.  Besides it's none of their business how much money you have in the bank.

I can only speak for Madrid Airport and when I went through last month it was a breeze.  Other places as we have seen, such as Dover have big queues, however big queues happened pre-brexit as well, I was in one at Venice airport in 2017, it was so bad that airport staff were going along the lines of people shouting out for anybody for the Paris flight, anybody for the Dusseldorf flight etc etc, complete shambles it was.

The Mighty Thor
40 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Biometric checks to enter, and leave, the Schengen area being introduced in November. Imagine the gammon seizures when that happens.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/

:sweeet:

Give it 5 minutes and someone will be along to tell you they went on holiday once and never had to do that or some other denial of objective reality. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Give it 5 minutes and someone will be along to tell you they went on holiday once and never had to do that or some other denial of objective reality. 

:lol: "Every time I've been to Paris for a weekend, I thought nothing about queueing for 2 days, on a motorway, coming and going."

Nucky Thompson
50 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Biometric checks to enter, and leave, the Schengen area being introduced in November. Imagine the gammon seizures when that happens.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/eu-to-launch-biometric-entry-exit-system-in-a-few-months/

:sweeet:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how's that a bad thing and why would it bother anyone?

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how's that a bad thing and why would it bother anyone?

You're definitely missing something. 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You're definitely missing something. 

Quicker, self service, automated border control checks going into the EU

Why would anyone be angry at that?

What am I missing?

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Quicker, self service, automated border control checks going into the EU

Why would anyone be angry at that?

What am I missing?

According to a piece I read somewhere (BBC news website, I think) it's the car.  You can't do automated checks on people who are inside cars, so the passengers have to get out, which takes even longer than the current system.  Apparently the system is good for airports but lousy for ports.

6 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Without wanting to get involved in the wider Brexit debate.

On my recent trip to Madrid the only difference at passport control post-brexit was that I went through a different booth (non EU) and got my passport stamped, the officer still scanned my passport the same as before, it took seconds, in fact it actually took longer to get back into the UK than into Spain.

Covid certificates, whilst there were people there and tables set up for testing, I didn't see anybody either being checked or tested, even if someone was stopped they would have been taken aside, thus not holding up the rest.

As for maybe having to show how much money we had etc, well they'd have a hard job, as we only had €52 on us (money left over from a previous trip), a prepaid card and our bank cards, we took money out at an ATM and used contactless.  Less and less people carry cash these days, even abroad.  Besides it's none of their business how much money you have in the bank.

I can only speak for Madrid Airport and when I went through last month it was a breeze.  Other places as we have seen, such as Dover have big queues, however big queues happened pre-brexit as well, I was in one at Venice airport in 2017, it was so bad that airport staff were going along the lines of people shouting out for anybody for the Paris flight, anybody for the Dusseldorf flight etc etc, complete shambles it was.

I'm not sure Brexit makes any practical difference to passenger checks at most airports, though I can see why it could lead to a mess at ports.  

I'd say what you're seeing at Dover (and some of the other ferry ports) is due to a combination of factors.  Brexit is one of those, but it also includes the new bilaterally agreed procedures for travel between France and the UK, the loss of staffing capacity arising from the pandemic, and the rebound in numbers travelling.

It'll all find its level, as these things usually do.

Doctor FinnBarr
12 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Your passport is inspected to ensure no breach of 90/180 day rule and it's stamped. 

Neither of which happened previously. 

It's not exactly the same and it takes longer ,causing delays. 

See Dover. 

Went to Tenerife in January, flight landed at 15.30 and I was outside having a fag at 15.50 and thats with passport control, showing Covid passports and picking up luggage.

Lisbon in May, I breezed through as a non EU citizen whilst most others from my Edinburgh flight (mostly Polish nationals) had to queue at the EU bit.

4 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Went to Tenerife in January, flight landed at 15.30 and I was outside having a fag at 15.50 and thats with passport control, showing Covid passports and picking up luggage.

Lisbon in May, I breezed through as a non EU citizen whilst most others from my Edinburgh flight (mostly Polish nationals) had to queue at the EU bit.

Gove it 5 minutes and someone will be along shortly who has never travelled or experienced going through passport control in the EU since brexit will tell you about the long delays you will face. 

Nucky Thompson
38 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Gove it 5 minutes and someone will be along shortly who has never travelled or experienced going through passport control in the EU since brexit will tell you about the long delays you will face. 

:biggrin2:

Shooter McGavin
42 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Ermm, we’ve got an ongoing and well publicised situation in Dover where there is a huge backlog due to passport checks brought about because of brexit.

It’s been in the news quite a lot recently.

”I never had any problems, therefore there isn’t a problem” simply doesn’t cut it, mate.

16 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Ermm, we’ve got an ongoing and well publicised situation in Dover where there is a huge backlog due to passport checks brought about because of brexit.

It’s been in the news quite a lot recently.

”I never had any problems, therefore there isn’t a problem” simply doesn’t cut it, mate.

This has been addressed. There have been problems at Dover for as long as I can remember especially the first week of the English holidays. More people equals more queues. I have little sympathy for people taking their cars on holiday anyway.

Will it be down to brexit when the Edinburgh bypass becomes a car park when the School holidays are over ? 

Edited by Dazo

SectionDJambo
12 minutes ago, Dazo said:

This has been addressed. There have been problems at Dover for as long as I can remember especially the first week of the English holidays. More people equals more queues. I have little sympathy for people taking their cars on holiday anyway.

Will it be down to brexit when the Edinburgh bypass becomes a car park when the School holidays are over ? 

So why are Truss and her mates lining up to blame the French? If it's an annual event for those queues to be as bad, why the need to publicly criticise them?

They could have just said that it's always been like this.

8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

So why are Truss and her mates lining up to blame the French? If it's an annual event for those queues to be as bad, why the need to publicly criticise them?

They could have just said that it's always been like this.

They have an election to win would be my guess, anyway don’t we always blame the French ? 

17 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm the same as Dazo. 

😂😂 Unionists say nothings changed, honest. Dover queues are all photo shopped 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Tbh that's what I half expected, to be faced with a long queue, pleasantly surprised that it was the opposite that we found.

Now, I don't know what it was like an hour before us or an hour after us, and tbh I don't care, all I can comment on is what happened to us.

SectionDJambo
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

They have an election to win would be my guess, anyway don’t we always blame the French ? 

Or the Germans.

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

And the French blame the British, it's always been like that.

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And the French blame the British, it's always been like that.

Yep, brexit is now the convenient root cause of everything. Keeps a lot of people on this thread happy though. 😊

Shooter McGavin
53 minutes ago, Dazo said:

So there has been problems at Dover for as long as you can remember, therefore the solution to that was brexit and adding more passport checks that would cause…. more problems?

Is that how we address problems now, by making them worse?

Is that what the “take back control” slogan means?

And to answer your question at the end there, no, but at least we’ve not brought about changes that’ll make that scenario worse.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

So there has been problems at Dover for as long as you can remember, therefore the solution to that was brexit and adding more passport checks that would cause…. more problems?

Is that how we address problems now, by making them worse?

Is that what the “take back control” slogan means?

And to answer your question at the end there, no, but at least we’ve not brought about changes that’ll make that scenario worse.

I never once mentioned solutions, answers or the rights and wrongs of brexit. That is a completely different point and you are arguing with yourself on that one. 

So far my experience travelling within the EU other than getting my passport stamped is the same as before. In fact the EU queue was busier on one trip. During our time as part of the EU I’ve experienced long queues and short queues going through passport control I expect that will continue now we are out. So excuse me if I don’t get all excited about the English all trying to cross the channel at the same time. 😊

The Mighty Thor

Give it 5 minutes and someone who bought mouthwash once will be along to tell the industry that's its definitely not Brexit. 

Maybe they could advise the UK chemical industry.

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I never once mentioned solutions, answers or the rights and wrongs of brexit. That is a completely different point and you are arguing with yourself on that one. 

So far my experience travelling within the EU other than getting my passport stamped is the same as before. In fact the EU queue was busier on one trip. During our time as part of the EU I’ve experienced long queues and short queues going through passport control I expect that will continue now we are out. So excuse me if I don’t get all excited about the English all trying to cross the channel at the same time. 😊

You might want to check the thread title, mate.

JudyJudyJudy

What’s the problem with waiting ? You’ll get there in the end . Maybe some people need to chill , meditate . 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

What’s the problem with waiting ? You’ll get there in the end . Maybe some people need to chill , meditate . 

Patience is a virtue. However when it becomes unnecessary bureaucratic nonsense caused by nothing more than self serving politicians that’s where the frustration boils over  

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You might want to check the thread title, mate.

Why would I want to do that ? It’s pretty clear what this thread is about and I’m talking about my experiences since brexit. You seem to be talking about and making an issue over other peoples experiences. 

I’m going away again in 3 weeks I’ll be sure to let you know what it’ was actually like. Apart from Edinburgh airport as I can already tell you how bad that will be on arrival. 

Shooter McGavin
55 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Why would I want to do that ? It’s pretty clear what this thread is about and I’m talking about my experiences since brexit. You seem to be talking about and making an issue over other peoples experiences. 

I’m going away again in 3 weeks I’ll be sure to let you know what it’ was actually like. Apart from Edinburgh airport as I can already tell you how bad that will be on arrival. 

Well that is totally fine, but you seem to be trying to discredit the ongoing situation because you’ve not had any problems yet. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work like that.

On a slight tangent, I’ve never been racially abused, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less of a problem for other people.

Your experience is 100% valid none-the-less, but I also feel the thousands who have been queuing up at Dover will have had a completely different experience of late, due to increased passport checks brought about as a result of brexit.

I’m also finding it quite worrying that most brexiteers (not that I’m accusing you of being one), are spending their time defending brexit for their lives and desperately trying to pass blame for things that are happening as a direct result of brexit, rather than  discussing the positives (possibly as there is so few, if any).

Nucky Thompson
6 hours ago, XB52 said:

😂😂 Unionists say nothings changed, honest. Dover queues are all photo shopped 

I take it in your World, every Unionist voted for Brexit and every Scottish nationalist voted to remain :cornette:

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Well that is totally fine, but you seem to be trying to discredit the ongoing situation because you’ve not had any problems yet. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite work like that.

On a slight tangent, I’ve never been racially abused, but that doesn’t mean it’s any less of a problem for other people.

Your experience is 100% valid none-the-less, but I also feel the thousands who have been queuing up at Dover will have had a completely different experience of late, due to increased passport checks brought about as a result of brexit.

I’m also finding it quite worrying that most brexiteers (not that I’m accusing you of being one), are spending their time defending brexit for their lives and desperately trying to pass blame for things that are happening as a direct result of brexit, rather than  discussing the positives (possibly as there is so few, if any).

I’m not discrediting what’s going on at all but I am questioning the blame is brexit. It seems lazy and opportunistic for some people to instantly blame brexit. I’m not blaming or defending brexit and fully accept that extra checks can potentially lead to longer queues. However as I said the extra checks going through airports are completely negligible in my experience so far. No doubt I’ve now cursed that for 3 weeks time. 🙄

23 hours ago, Imaman said:

Spaniards wanting a deek at your bank account...:rofl:They better be careful...

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I take it in your World, every Unionist voted for Brexit and every Scottish nationalist voted to remain :cornette:

If you can show me where I said that thanks. I was merely pointing out that the unionists on here miraculously never have any issues caused by Brexit, while the rest of the UK has

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, XB52 said:

If you can show me where I said that thanks. I was merely pointing out that the unionists on here miraculously never have any issues caused by Brexit, while the rest of the UK has

I've had absolutely no hassle going through 3 European airports in the last 6 months, no matter how much you want it not to be so.

The only hassle I had was going through Edinburgh airport to Corfu in May and that was feck all to do with Brexit..

I've never taken my car through Dover at the start of the English school holidays though