Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

First shots fired.  https://apple.news/AT0LCbtAwRSesd7wYMp2YAQ

Brussels is preventing British scientists from joining the EU’s €95 billion Horizon Europe research programme in an attempt to increase pressure on ministers to compromise over the Northern Ireland protocol.

The latest row over Horizon Europe comes despite an agreement of the UK’s participation as part of the trade and cooperation agreement signed in 2020. However, the EU has been delaying the UK’s membership as a way of putting pressure on Westminster to compromise on Northern Ireland.

Nancy Pelosi, the speaker of the US House of Representatives, today accused the UK of taking the Good Friday agreement “for granted” ahead of a trip to Brussels, London and Belfast to discuss the stand-off.

Edited by Imaman

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

USA and EU release joint statement saying there will be no renegotiation of the Protocol, the Brexit deal or the Good Friday Agreement.

Your move, Truss ya dick

WorldChampions1902
3 minutes ago, Cade said:

USA and EU release joint statement saying there will be no renegotiation of the Protocol, the Brexit deal or the Good Friday Agreement.

Your move, Truss ya dick

Round and round the goldfish bowl we go again.:greggy:

Oh, and USA also says that if the Uk breaches the Protocol, Brexit deal or GFA, then there will be no trade deal between USA and UK.

:sweeet:

Unknown user
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Oh, and USA also says that if the Uk breaches the Protocol, Brexit deal or GFA, then there will be no trade deal between USA and UK.

:sweeet:

Are there any circumstances which lead to the British public largely agreeing it's been a whole lot of bullshit and we should seek to rejoin the EU?

Unknown user
46 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Round and round the goldfish bowl we go again.:greggy:

Liz Truss. Liz ****ing Truss

hmfc_steve
10 hours ago, Smithee said:

Are there any circumstances which lead to the British public largely agreeing it's been a whole lot of bullshit and we should seek to rejoin the EU?

We should never have left in the first place .. madness

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Farage said before the Referendum that if the final vote was 52% Remain / 48% Leave, that would be quote, “Unfinished Business”. So I’m sure all Leavers would get behind that principle and allow a new vote.

When we have that second referendum, and the resulting landslide Rejoin result is announced, Leavers will accept that result, even though it might be advisory and not legally binding.

Leavers will accept that Rejoiners definitely knew what they were voting for, given that they already experienced EU membership previously.

Similarly, any ‘unconverted’ Leavers will know precisely what they are voting for I.e. NO reduction in ‘brown faces’ and possibly an increase; increased numbers of Channel refugees, continuing significant and long-term damage to the U.K. economy; a continuation of the greatest self-imposed trade barriers in the history of world trade; continuation of lesser freedom of movement; continuation of port disruption including 15 mile lorry queues at Dover;  and that there may be green shoots of Brexit benefits in 50 years time. I’ll stop there or I’ll be here all day.

So to answer your question, Rejoin ain’t happening any time soon. But it will happen. My guess is 10 years time, not least because a large swathe of our dinosaurs will have passed away and so many of the younger generations will want to rejoin.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Farage said before the Referendum that if the final vote was 52% Remain / 48% Leave, that would be quote, “Unfinished Business”. So I’m sure all Leavers would get behind that principle and allow a new vote.

When we have that second referendum, and the resulting landslide Rejoin result is announced, Leavers will accept that result, even though it might be advisory and not legally binding.

Leavers will accept that Rejoiners definitely knew what they were voting for, given that they already experienced EU membership previously.

Similarly, any ‘unconverted’ Leavers will know precisely what they are voting for I.e. NO reduction in ‘brown faces’ and possibly an increase; increased numbers of Channel refugees, continuing significant and long-term damage to the U.K. economy; a continuation of the greatest self-imposed trade barriers in the history of world trade; continuation of lesser freedom of movement; continuation of port disruption including 15 mile lorry queues at Dover;  and that there may be green shoots of Brexit benefits in 50 years time. I’ll stop there or I’ll be here all day.

So to answer your question, Rejoin ain’t happening any time soon. But it will happen. My guess is 10 years time, not least because a large swathe of our dinosaurs will have passed away and so many of the younger generations will want to rejoin.

Mind you, the EU aren't going to let us slide back to the top table, we'll be offered a place in the Europa League, pulling the chairs out for Macron.

That's if they let us in at all, the UK's done nothing but piss the EU about for the last decade or so, costing an absolute fortune and being a boorish pain in the arse that rarely acts in good faith. We still haven't even got all the EU stuff in place yet ffs.

We're making some changes to our legal agreements that will apply to you.

Important notice to all UK customers

As part of PayPal’s continued efforts to manage some necessary changes arising from the United Kingdom’s exit from the European Union, we will be withdrawing from the UK Financial Ombudsman Service’s (FOS) Voluntary Jurisdiction on 1st December 2022. Due to changes to UK rules, since 1st January 2021, we have been, and continue to be, subject to the Compulsory Jurisdiction of the FOS and complaints about acts or omissions occurring on or after this date can be referred to the FOS under the Compulsory Jurisdiction. Our withdrawal from the Voluntary Jurisdiction will not affect any rights you may have to refer a complaint to the FOS under the Compulsory Jurisdiction. 
If you have a complaint about an event that occurred before 1st January 2021 and you have not yet submitted that complaint to PayPal, you should contact us as soon as possible. You can contact us by clicking Contact Us at the bottom of any Help page.

Where you have a complaint that relates to an event that occurred before 1stJanuary 2021 and you are dissatisfied with how PayPal has resolved that complaint in our final response, then you must refer that complaint to the FOS before 1st December 2022 if you would like FOS to look at it – unless our final response says that you must refer your complaint to FOS by any earlier date. 

You can find the notice regarding our withdrawal from the Voluntary Jurisdiction on our Policy Updates page, as well as further information about other changes that may apply: www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full.

You can also view these changes by visiting PayPal.com, clicking ‘Legal’ at the bottom of the page and then selecting ‘Policy Updates’. 

If you have questions about any of these changes or your account, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Thank you for being a PayPal customer.

Sincerely,

PayPal

Pans Jambo

Just give little eng-er-lan the independence it craves. They can take Wales with them. Re-unite the island of Ireland and Scotland can re-join the EU. There. Solved everyones problems 👍

Pans Jambo
22 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Just give little eng-er-lan the independence it craves. They can take Wales with them. Re-unite the island of Ireland and Scotland can re-join the EU. There. Solved everyones problems 👍

Never thought I would find myself agreeing with the Daily Fail :whistling:

548F69A5-BAF5-4BE2-AA65-9C4B8CA06730.jpeg

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Never thought I would find myself agreeing with the Daily Fail :whistling:

548F69A5-BAF5-4BE2-AA65-9C4B8CA06730.jpeg

Cool, let them leave. I wonder where they'll set up their parliament.

Pans Jambo
Just now, Smithee said:

Cool, let them leave. I wonder where they'll set up their parliament.

Thats a thinker…

Richard Neal, Chair of the US House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee, said today that the dispute over the Protocol seems to be a manufactured issue.  When asked why that might be, he said “I hope this is not about domestic politics.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dispute-over-ni-protocol-appears-manufactured-richard-neal-1.4886946

I'm no Brexiter and look forward to Scotland taking part in the EU(Full or part membership). And I also get pretty angry at the way the Tories are treating NI. But if after independence the US telt us what's what, I'd hope our PM/FM or whatever it would be, told them to. :bolt:

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm no Brexiter and look forward to Scotland taking part in the EU(Full or part membership). And I also get pretty angry at the way the Tories are treating NI. But if after independence the US telt us what's what, I'd hope our PM/FM or whatever it would be, told them to. :bolt:

And then what?  ;)

JudyJudyJudy
On 23/05/2022 at 19:01, WorldChampions1902 said:

Not enough facepalms on the internet for this Daily Mail, ‘indignation’. :cornette_dog:

FEE3B3E5-1D39-4991-9A0B-A3EF99E9DD22.jpeg

why should anyone knock their pan in for the minimal wage? deck that. Pay a decent wage for this kind of hard physical work and maybe people will be interested. 

WorldChampions1902
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

why should anyone knock their pan in for the minimal wage? deck that. Pay a decent wage for this kind of hard physical work and maybe people will be interested. 

I fear you are missing the point. The article sub-heading is quote, “The impact of Brexit and delays in issuing temporary visas have been blamed”. All this, coming from one of the main Brexit cheerleaders! 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, WorldChampions1902 said:
7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

d. 

I fear you are missing the point. The article sub-heading is quo

yes sorry I can see that too but even without Brexit why would or should anyone work for that kind of pay? 

WorldChampions1902
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

yes sorry I can see that too but even without Brexit why would or should anyone work for that kind of pay? 

I don’t disagree. But there are plenty of examples of people working for an absolute pittance in all sorts of sectors of the economy. God forbid they go on strike for a decent pay rise.

US delegation flies to Europe to warn Britain against unilateral protocol plan

cop26

Rep. Richard Neal, Ireland's Simon Coveney and Speaker Nancy Pelosi. PA Wire/PA Images

Mick Jagger can’t get no satisfaction from Brexit. The Rolling Stones frontman has been complaining about the “nightmare” impact of our exit from the EU. It seems no-one is satisfied with the current Brexit impasse. In a jumping jack flash, the Americans are suddenly all over the protocol row. Speaker Nancy Pelosi has made clear Washington has no sympathy with Boris Johnson, insisting that Congress will not approve any transatlantic trade deal if the UK plunges ahead with its plan to override parts of the Brexit deal. Congressman Richard Neal – a close Joe Biden ally – led a US delegation to Europe and held “frank” talks with foreign secretary Liz Truss in a bid to get the Brits under their thumb. But wild horses couldn’t drag Johnson and Truss away from their treaty-busting scheme. They are expected to bring in legislation to start up the process within three weeks. Only time will tell if they are playing with fire.

The Brexit Headlines 

liz-truss2.jpg

A US delegation, led by a close ally of Biden, agreed a joint statement with members of the EU parliament ruling out renegotiation of the protocol. But Liz Truss resisted pressure to back down by the visiting Americans.

I'm an image

The RE:ACT Disaster Response crisis relief charity, which offers help after earthquakes and hurricanes, was drafted in to ease the suffering of lorry drivers at Dover. Ministers should be “putting their heads in the sand”, said Labour.

I'm an image

The PM’s Remain-voting father said it was “a very nice gesture” for the French authorities to grant him citizenship. Johnson Sr will be invited to an official ceremony – complete with “La Marseillaise” – to celebrate.

Opinion of the week

Mick Jagger on Brexit:

“It’s a nightmare. We’ve isolated ourselves, and that sounds good to some, but it’s an ideology more than a practicality.”

Stat of the week

Number of Britons and British businesses who have reported negative Brexit impacts on the European Movement UK's heat map

What you might have missed

US delegation flies to Europe to warn Britain against unilateral protocol plan

Rep. Richard Neal, Ireland's Simon Coveney and Speaker Nancy Pelosi. PA Wire/PA Images

Mick Jagger can’t get no satisfaction from Brexit. The Rolling Stones frontman has been complaining about the “nightmare” impact of our exit from the EU. It seems no-one is satisfied with the current Brexit impasse. In a jumping jack flash, the Americans are suddenly all over the protocol row. Speaker Nancy Pelosi has made clear Washington has no sympathy with Boris Johnson, insisting that Congress will not approve any transatlantic trade deal if the UK plunges ahead with its plan to override parts of the Brexit deal. Congressman Richard Neal – a close Joe Biden ally – led a US delegation to Europe and held “frank” talks with foreign secretary Liz Truss in a bid to get the Brits under their thumb. But wild horses couldn’t drag Johnson and Truss away from their treaty-busting scheme. They are expected to bring in legislation to start up the process within three weeks. Only time will tell if they are playing with fire.

The Brexit Headlines 

US-EU alliance rules out renegotiation

A US delegation, led by a close ally of Biden, agreed a joint statement with members of the EU parliament ruling out renegotiation of the protocol. But Liz Truss resisted pressure to back down by the visiting Americans.

Disaster charity called in over post-Brexit port queues

The RE:ACT Disaster Response crisis relief charity, which offers help after earthquakes and hurricanes, was drafted in to ease the suffering of lorry drivers at Dover. Ministers should be “putting their heads in the sand”, said Labour.

Stanley Johnson ‘delighted’ as French citizenship approved

The PM’s Remain-voting father said it was “a very nice gesture” for the French authorities to grant him citizenship. Johnson Sr will be invited to an official ceremony – complete with “La Marseillaise” – to celebrate.

Opinion of the week

Mick Jagger on Brexit:

“It’s a nightmare. We’ve isolated ourselves, and that sounds good to some, but it’s an ideology more than a practicality.”

Stat of the week

Number of Britons and British businesses who have reported negative Brexit impacts on the European Movement UK's heat map

What you might have missed

NatWest chairman Sir Howard Davies called Brexit “a significant mistake” and is “quite pessimistic” about the UK’s economic future.

Wealthy voters and Brexit backers are still the basis of Conservative support – even in the “red wall” areas – new research has found.

Over two dozen Conservative MPs have written to Priti Patel to warn about broken Brexit promises. This year’s net immigration is set to be “higher than any in recent history”.

Ex-French ambassador to the UK Sylvie Bermann said the EU would welcome an independent Scotland, but said the euro was the “main problem” for the Scots.

Don’t forget to check out the latest Brexit news using The Independent’s new app – which combines our Premium app and Daily Edition in one convenient location.

Ex-French ambassador to the UK Sylvie Bermann said the EU would welcome an independent Scotland, but said the euro was the “main problem” for the Scots.

Don’t forget to check out the latest Brexit news using The Independent’s new app – which combines our Premium app and Daily Edition in one convenient location.

a Boost to independence!!  

Jambo_jim2001
On 25/05/2022 at 02:11, Ulysses said:

Richard Neal, Chair of the US House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee, said today that the dispute over the Protocol seems to be a manufactured issue.  When asked why that might be, he said “I hope this is not about domestic politics.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dispute-over-ni-protocol-appears-manufactured-richard-neal-1.4886946

As true now as back then🙄

WorldChampions1902

Good to see that the US-UK “special relationship” is being nurtured. 

I recall watching US writer Bonnie Greer on BBC QT pre-Brexit where she warned the U.K. government not to mess with the GFA in their Brexit shenanigans. She said something along the lines of “never forget that the US is Irish and you mess with the GFA at your peril. And if you decide to follow that path, you can forget about a trade agreement”.

It looks like that warning is falling on deaf ears and given how desperate the U.K. is for new trading partners following Brexit, this will be yet another catastrophic act of self-harm.

Unbelievable.

The Mighty Thor

Taking back control? 😂

Over 1 million foreign nationals were offered visas to live in the UK last year. the highest ever number on record.

Farage should get down the home office with his fisher price binoculars instead of the channel. 

Unknown user
22 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I recall watching US writer Bonnie Greer on BBC QT pre-Brexit where she warned the U.K. government not to mess with the GFA in their Brexit shenanigans. She said something along the lines of “never forget that the US is Irish and you mess with the GFA at your peril. And if you decide to follow that path, you can forget about a trade agreement”.

It looks like that warning is falling on deaf ears and given how desperate the U.K. is for new trading partners following Brexit, this will be yet another catastrophic act of self-harm.

Unbelievable.

Never mind, they'll give us a hundred quid off Tesla's to help with the road.

Watt-Zeefuik
On 26/05/2022 at 07:57, WorldChampions1902 said:

Unbelievable.

Absolutely sound move on the part of Boris to assume he'd work out a deal with the US while pissing all over the EU and the NIP at a time when an Irish Catholic is in the White House and an Italian Catholic is the Speaker of the House.

Utter brilliance.

Unknown user
41 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

:laugh2: when I saw you'd posted on this thread I came in to post this myself

A Boy Named Crow
2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

:laugh2: when I saw you'd posted on this thread I came in to post this myself

GLC are vastly underestimated. What they have done here is genus, they've produced a a parody song that will have both brexiteers and remainers nodding in agreement 😂

jamboy1982
4 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

GLC are vastly underestimated. What they have done here is genus, they've produced a a parody song that will have both brexiteers and remainers nodding in agreement 😂

Their greatest hits album was dynamite. Loved it when it came out. 

The Mighty Thor

And there's more.....

You can imagine the levels of jingoistic crayon munching going on amongst these 2,000 whizzo wheezes. 😂

WorldChampions1902

Nice to see the CEO of Jet2 state on BBC’s main news that one of the chief factors for travel disruption at airports is the fact that “Brexit took hundreds of thousands if not millions, out of the labour market”.

Hopefully the Gammon that are shaking with rage at having their week in Torremolinos cancelled, will reflect on yet another example of Project Reality becoming reality. Not holding my breath.

On 31/05/2022 at 12:12, The Mighty Thor said:

And there's more.....

You can imagine the levels of jingoistic crayon munching going on amongst these 2,000 whizzo wheezes. 😂

Good summary of the highlights (about 3 things).

The Old Tolbooth
On 26/05/2022 at 11:31, Imaman said:

Ex-French ambassador to the UK Sylvie Bermann said the EU would welcome an independent Scotland, but said the euro was the “main problem” for the Scots.

Don’t forget to check out the latest Brexit news using The Independent’s new app – which combines our Premium app and Daily Edition in one convenient location.

a Boost to independence!!  

I clicked on the link to read that story, and have to say it was a damn good read, from someone who knows what she's talking about. 

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I clicked on the link to read that story, and have to say it was a damn good read, from someone who knows what she's talking about. 

We're going to hell in a handcart, Britain's ****ed and the government's in denial. It's like trump all over again, they ignore the truth and repeat the mantra while arseholes across the nation act like everything's fine and attack any other view.

It's just a matter of time before Scotland's independent, this lot are doing it for us.

dobmisterdobster
58 minutes ago, Smithee said:

We're going to hell in a handcart, Britain's ****ed and the government's in denial. It's like trump all over again, they ignore the truth and repeat the mantra while arseholes across the nation act like everything's fine and attack any other view.

It's just a matter of time before Scotland's independent, this lot are doing it for us.

Brexit hasn't moved the needle on Independence. Support for it has declined.

Sturgeon is a career politician who knows there isn't going to be another referendum but she will happily string her followers along in exchange for votes.

Unknown user
16 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Brexit hasn't moved the needle on Independence. Support for it has declined.

Sturgeon is a career politician who knows there isn't going to be another referendum but she will happily string her followers along in exchange for votes.

Who's talking about sturgeon?

GB's going down the toilet mate, it's only going to get more and more obvious.

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Who's talking about sturgeon?

GB's going down the toilet mate, it's only going to get more and more obvious.

:jambobanana:

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/UK-urged-to-support-musician-passports-for-working-in-EU-post-Brexit

The Musicians Union in the UK are urging the British Government to support a musicians’ passport for those working in the European Union post-Brexit. According to the group, placing costly and heavy barriers to that could bring new difficulties to working as well as aspiring musicians, as well as the broader UK music industry.

In their report, the Musicians Union specifies that the passport must include the following rules:

- Be valid for at least two years.

- Be free or cheap.

- Cover all the Member States of the European Union.

- Remove the need for carnets as well as other permits.

The statement from the Union says: “The permit needs to cover road crew, technicians, as well as any other staff needed for the musicians to do their job. Musicians, and other creative and cultural workers, are a distinct workforce with specific needs. Visa and customs rules post-Brexit need to account for that.” 

The report says that musicians have faced difficulties with visa systems. It can cost thousands to take a band to the US while stressing that the cost of fast-track visa processing fees has increased by 15%. Musicians have raised concerns that such a thing could happen with the European Union.

Based on another report by the Musicians Union, a total of 77% of musicians and DJs believe their earnings in Europe will decline due to new red tape and extra costs. It also reveals that a total of 43% of them are planning gigs in the EU in the future, while 42% of them would consider relocating to continue working. At the same time, 21% are considering a change of career.

Musicians and DJs visit a large number of countries during a year, often being obliged to cross the borders every week. If all the musicians have to get a visa and carnet for all the countries they visit, it will make working in Europe very difficult.

“Music and the performing arts rely on the exchange of ideas and interaction between performers of different nationalities. If musicians can’t travel both ways easily, our reputation as a country that embraces all arts and culture will be severely damaged. Our members’ ability to earn a living will also be severely affected,” the MU General Secretary, Horace Trubridge, said.

The UK Government and the EU previously failed to reach a common agreement to help musicians as well as artists to travel to each other’s territories without being obliged to apply for a visa at first.

2 hours ago, Imaman said:

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/UK-urged-to-support-musician-passports-for-working-in-EU-post-Brexit

The Musicians Union in the UK are urging the British Government to support a musicians’ passport for those working in the European Union post-Brexit. According to the group, placing costly and heavy barriers to that could bring new difficulties to working as well as aspiring musicians, as well as the broader UK music industry.

In their report, the Musicians Union specifies that the passport must include the following rules:

- Be valid for at least two years.

- Be free or cheap.

- Cover all the Member States of the European Union.

- Remove the need for carnets as well as other permits.

The statement from the Union says: “The permit needs to cover road crew, technicians, as well as any other staff needed for the musicians to do their job. Musicians, and other creative and cultural workers, are a distinct workforce with specific needs. Visa and customs rules post-Brexit need to account for that.” 

The report says that musicians have faced difficulties with visa systems. It can cost thousands to take a band to the US while stressing that the cost of fast-track visa processing fees has increased by 15%. Musicians have raised concerns that such a thing could happen with the European Union.

Based on another report by the Musicians Union, a total of 77% of musicians and DJs believe their earnings in Europe will decline due to new red tape and extra costs. It also reveals that a total of 43% of them are planning gigs in the EU in the future, while 42% of them would consider relocating to continue working. At the same time, 21% are considering a change of career.

Musicians and DJs visit a large number of countries during a year, often being obliged to cross the borders every week. If all the musicians have to get a visa and carnet for all the countries they visit, it will make working in Europe very difficult.

“Music and the performing arts rely on the exchange of ideas and interaction between performers of different nationalities. If musicians can’t travel both ways easily, our reputation as a country that embraces all arts and culture will be severely damaged. Our members’ ability to earn a living will also be severely affected,” the MU General Secretary, Horace Trubridge, said.

The UK Government and the EU previously failed to reach a common agreement to help musicians as well as artists to travel to each other’s territories without being obliged to apply for a visa at first.

During the negotiations on the TCA, the EU offered the British government a solution that would have allowed British musicians and technical staff to travel freely within the EU.  The British government weren't interested.

10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

The British government weren't interested.

No surprises there.