Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

32 minutes ago, Ked said:

These are the only things I can see that are reported.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58721085.amp 

We are self sufficient in concrete.

As for the other stuff milk and meat.

Wood and toys for Christmas.Oh and new cars.

They are a mixture of many things not helped by brexit.

But heres my over riding concern.

All of these things are without a doubt heavy contributors to the number 1 problem we face.

A planet we can live on.

I get that many view brexit they way they do.

But to claim that its having an effect other than 1st world problems is frankly nonsense.

I asked and other than being able to freely travel(as far as I know it's only been covid which restricts my ability to visit and work abroad)and the odd claim of no milk in aldis is about it.

It's affected business no doubt but claims of bare shelves etc has not been something I've experienced.

As for John Lewis acquisition of ships so we can have enough toys for Christmas.

I mean cmoantae $#@!

It's OK, we get it. You don't experience it (good for you) so you're dismissing it as "1st world problems".  The "odd claim" is actually much more than that but you've convinced yourself it's a trivial issue that sporadically occurs , if it occurs at all. I envy your lived experience & world view .

No one gives a shi t about John  Lewis or its ships but some us are getting a bit alarmed that everyday foodstuffs are either significantly limited in choice or not availabe at all. It's not my view of brexit that creates that experience. That is the reality in large parts of the UK.  

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

The ERG are clowns. I’ve no idea what reality they were pursuing but what it was would never have worked in our favour. 

They were pursuing a policy of taking the UK out of the EU - they never hid the fact. 

Needless to say the likes of IDS & Bill Cash & Redwood  never had any sort of plan for leaving , just "leave, it'll be fine." 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I sympathise with you, we here haven't had any of that.

The only time we had empty shelves was right at the start of the first lockdown and a lot of that was folks from the central belt coming down to Borders and stripping the our shelves bare.

A similar experience here, folk coming from miles around, filling SUVs with all manner of stuff. 

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

That all down to brexit is it ? 😂

Won't matter to Scotland soon anyway. We'll be independent and part of the EU. 

1 hour ago, Ked said:

As for the other stuff milk and meat.

Wood and toys for Christmas.Oh and new cars.

They are a mixture of many things not helped by brexit.

But heres my over riding concern.

All of these things are without a doubt heavy contributors to the number 1 problem we face.

A planet we can live on.

I get that many view brexit they way they do.

But to claim that its having an effect other than 1st world problems is frankly nonsense.

I asked and other than being able to freely travel(as far as I know it's only been covid which restricts my ability to visit and work abroad)and the odd claim of no milk in aldis is about it.

It's affected business no doubt but claims of bare shelves etc has not been something I've experienced.

As for John Lewis acquisition of ships so we can have enough toys for Christmas.

I mean cmoantae $#@!

Well you mind if Scotland leaves you Brits to it.

:byebye:

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

That may happen one day but it sure as hell won’t be soon, unless you live in dog years or similar. 😂

25 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

It's OK, we get it. You don't experience it (good for you) so you're dismissing it as "1st world problems".  The "odd claim" is actually much more than that but you've convinced yourself it's a trivial issue that sporadically occurs , if it occurs at all. I envy your lived experience & world view .

No one gives a shi t about John  Lewis or its ships but some us are getting a bit alarmed that everyday foodstuffs are either significantly limited in choice or not availabe at all. It's not my view of brexit that creates that experience. That is the reality in large parts of the UK.  

People panic buying and in the last two weeks some experience of shortages in the North east of England and London is hardly the picture you paint.

People becoming alarmed?

You are the one posting incessantly about shortages might be contributing to that.I think we can all agree that brexit is not helpful but many of the issues are as has been shown outwith the claims you make 2 or 3 times daily.

I for one or two days had to travel an extra mile to get my usual petrol and that I have never not been able to get milk bread or anything is my lived experience.

The world view is that supply chains were predicted to creak as far back as 2014.

Through lack of investment and recently the backlog through covid.

Brexit will lessen our gdp annually although it's hard to get a true picture with covid and the stimulus financially from the government.

And I'm sorry to tell you it's exactly your kind of view that created the petrol shortages through panicking about fake news.

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, Ked said:

Wow! Our self-sufficiency in a particular class of building materials wasn’t something I saw on the side of that bus. But let’s make the most of it!

DC6A0973-06CF-4D13-9A41-409FF581AE61.jpeg

8 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Well you mind if Scotland leaves you Brits to it.

:byebye:

Aye nae bother.

Guid luck with yer wee meaningless slogans .

Quite how you equate what I post with being a brit only you can say.

33 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Foodstuffs significantly reduce or none in large parts of the uk ? 😂

Sporadic isolated incidents mainly down to panic buying I could buy.

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Wow! Our self-sufficiency in a particular class of building materials wasn’t something I saw on the side of that bus. But let’s make the most of it!

DC6A0973-06CF-4D13-9A41-409FF581AE61.jpeg

It was referencing the list of shortages you claim that I and others couldnt have watched the news.

Why you think I'm toeing a brexit bus party line when I'm just questioning the daily posts that are not accurate.

Not that we will solve any problems on here politically but saying as we do post our views I'm posting mines .

That you want to put me in a particular box because I question some of the posts as not being entirely correct is your prerogative.

SuperstarSteve
21 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

IF Nicola/SNP gets the finger out then you could very well be correct. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Always the same when there are supply issues/shortages.

There weren't any issues with the supplies, that I could see(there were plenty of fruit and veg). Everything was a lot more expensive.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

That all down to brexit is it ? 😂

To be fair there's always been a huge number of thick folk and racists. Cummings, Johnson, Gove & Farage gave them a legitimacy with their Brexit shit stirring and they responded in very large numbers. 

26 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

As far as I'm concerned, yes.

Well you're wrong. There are problems all over the world with shipping containers being delayed at ports. America is the worst. There are blackouts all over China and India - indeed Delhi is facing a full black out shortly.  Sweden are experiencing record high electricity prices and fuel prices are through the roof in Germany. 

And folk are whinging because they can't get every single thing they want in the feckin supermarkets.

There are numerous global factors at play here and Brexit only has a walk-on part.

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Well you're wrong. There are problems all over the world with shipping containers being delayed at ports. America is the worst. There are blackouts all over China and India - indeed Delhi is facing a full black out shortly.  Sweden are experiencing record high electricity prices and fuel prices are through the roof in Germany. 

And folk are whinging because they can't get every single thing they want in the feckin supermarkets.

There are numerous global factors at play here and Brexit only has a walk-on part.

It's also the cost of hiring & shipping goods by container, as the cost has went up around 10 fold this year and it's global and all to do with consumer demand and lack of available containers.  If companies are paying a lot more to ship their goods, then you can bet the cost of that product is also going to increase and cost the consumer a lot more, everything is going to cost more, I'm afraid.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's also the cost of hiring & shipping goods by container, as the cost has went up around 10 fold this year and it's global and all to do with consumer demand and lack of available containers.  If companies are paying a lot more to ship their goods, then you can bet the cost of that product is also going to increase and cost the consumer a lot more, everything is going to cost more, I'm afraid.

Yes, I completely agree, Jimbo. It's a global reaction to supply and demand.

5 hours ago, Dazo said:

Foodstuffs significantly reduce or none in large parts of the uk ? 😂

Sporadic isolated incidents mainly down to panic buying I could buy.

Can you translate this into  English ? 🤣

Cheers. 

5 hours ago, Ked said:

People panic buying and in the last two weeks some experience of shortages in the North east of England and London is hardly the picture you paint. I didn't paint a picture I stated explicitly what was happeneing in my locality, which is identical to what another poster on here  stated ie interlopers coming out of the cities and creating shortages. 

People becoming alarmed? That's correct.  

You are the one posting incessantly about shortages might be contributing to that.I think we can all agree that brexit is not helpful but many of the issues are as has been shown outwith the claims you make 2 or 3 times daily. "Constantly" ?  :rofl:  Feel free to contradict my posts with your own sources. Unlike your denial of what other people are experiencing I've put up tweets & info on numerous occasions (with sources).

I for one or two days had to travel an extra mile to get my usual petrol and that I have never not been able to get milk bread or anything is my lived experience.

The world view is that supply chains were predicted to creak as far back as 2014. DO you think UKs daily imports of fresh produce from the EU come in container ships to Felixstowe ? :rofl:

Through lack of investment and recently the backlog through covid.

Brexit will lessen our gdp annually although it's hard to get a true picture with covid and the stimulus financially from the government.

And I'm sorry to tell you it's exactly your kind of view that created the petrol shortages through panicking about fake news. No need to be "sorry" . As for my "kind of view" .... and "fake news" ... that's another :rofl:

14 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

Freedom of movement was a really good thing however the way it was managed left a lot to be desired. Specifically around benefits. You would have European family wife husband three kids the husband was working here whilst the wife and kids were back in their home land. They were claiming all the benefits here all the while living back home. That would irk people back here which then caused animosity. 

That caused animosity.  But did it happen?

6 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

There weren't any issues with the supplies, that I could see(there were plenty of fruit and veg). Everything was a lot more expensive.

The cost of shipping has risen .

Six fold.

That's a direct consequence of covid.

Not brexit.

Brexit has affected some things but you are barking up the wrong tree.

The only real effect that can be laid at brexits door is Northern Ireland.

The denial of that can rightly be blamed.

Anything other than that is wishful thinking I'm afraid and just looks like daily propaganda from those who espouse it.

1 minute ago, Ked said:

The cost of shipping has risen .

Six fold.

That's a direct consequence of covid.

Not brexit.

Brexit has affected some things but you are barking up the wrong tree.

Anything other than that is wishful thinking I'm afraid and just looks like daily propaganda from those who espouse it.

There are numerous posts on here from sources like the RHA, industry experts in logistics and import/export trade, farming & livestock saying in the simplest & starkest terms , what brexit has done / is doing. Evidently you don't agree with them as it's all "daily propaganda". 

Just now, NANOJAMBO said:

Indeed. 

Look.

I'm not particular about defending brexit but tbh I get fed up reading the fake claims you post on here.

As stated the facts do not back up your claims.

That's not to say that the big bus the current government are useless .

It's just you post inaccurate posts.

The current shortages are down to panic buying most of the time fired by manic headlines which you like to peddle.

Asides from that you had better get used to raw materials being short a redressing of world trade and the fact you and I have had choice on the shelfs at the expense of those that truly know hardship.

Not some spoiled entitled not got a clue liberals .

Indeed you can post all day .

Time to suck up reality and if you care to really think and care get off your high horse.

There are numerous posts on here from sources like the RHA, industry experts in logistics and import/export trade, farming & livestock saying in the simplest & starkest terms , what brexit has done / is doing. Evidently you don't agree with them as it's all "daily propaganda". 

Then you will know your posts in general are shit.

9 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Prices are rocketing, too. Some items are 10% more expensive.

Brexit, as far as I can see, is only a success as far as the racists and thick folk are concerned.

People need to stop blaming Brexit for stuff it hasn't caused.  That's not to say that Brexit hasn't contributed a bit, or made it harder for the UK to solve some issues, but a lot of what you're seeing at the moment is due to a combination of factors.

6 minutes ago, Ked said:

What real effect?  Brexit hasn't caused any issues in NI, because of the Protocol.  Unfortunately, because the British government either deliberately or negligently restricted access by GB companies to the NI market, some suppliers have had delays. 

I apologise for my last post Nano.

Your posts are as valid as anyones.

I just get frustrated at the whole system if one even exists.

I have no answers I offer no solutions.

I just see it all as a wasteful all for profit shitshow.

Just now, Ulysses said:

People need to stop blaming Brexit for stuff it hasn't caused.  That's not to say that Brexit hasn't contributed a bit, or made it harder for the UK to solve some issues, but a lot of what you're seeing at the moment is due to a combination of factors.

What real effect?  Brexit hasn't caused any issues in NI, because of the Protocol.  Unfortunately, because the British government either deliberately or negligently restricted access by GB companies to the NI market, some suppliers have had delays. 

I agree .

I meant in so much as the reality.

It doesnt help we have a circus running the show that's for sure.

5 minutes ago, Ked said:

I apologise for my last post Nano.

Your posts are as valid as anyones.

I just get frustrated at the whole system if one even exists.

I have no answers I offer no solutions.

I just see it all as a wasteful all for profit shitshow.

Ok, fair enough, that's very generous.

Please ignore my last two posts. 

Happy to be contradicted with an opposite view supported by a source/link.  You seem to be struggling with that concept. 

I've posted numerous links to contradict your views .

Have a read .

I'm not particularly wanting to go back and reinforce them.

They are there though.

I shouldnt have said your posts were shit though.

Noteworthy that the EU has been the adult in the room again on NI.  They have offered a redesign of processes under the regulations, plus a revision to EU law in relation to medicines, that if accepted would reduce checks on GB traffic to NI by 80%.

NI business groups have welcomed the proposals, with one group describing them as almost a carbon copy of requests made by them, and another group describing some of the EU proposals as going beyond their expectations.

However, the right-wing hardliners of the DUP are opposed to them, and the EU is preparing for the British government to reject them.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/1013/1253373-brexit/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/13/northern-irish-firms-hail-eu-proposals-resolve-brexit-protocol-row

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/13/eu-offers-to-scrap-80-of-ni-food-checks-but-prepares-for-johnson-to-reject-deal

Ok, fair enough, that's very generous.

Please ignore my last two posts. 

Not generous buddy I just posted in haste.

I think we both have a view that wants the same outcome.

How its achieved I haven't a clue.

Our troubles pale in comparison to most and if like me you have children I do feel we have totally been a very selfish generation.

Governed by the crooks you rightly call out.

I am conservative by nature but question my outlook .

We could do with some real decent politicians but I cant see them.

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Noteworthy that the EU has been the adult in the room again on NI.  They have offered a redesign of processes under the regulations, plus a revision to EU law in relation to medicines, that if accepted would reduce checks on GB traffic to NI by 80%.

NI business groups have welcomed the proposals, with one group describing them as almost a carbon copy of requests made by them, and another group describing some of the EU proposals as going beyond their expectations.

However, the right-wing hardliners of the DUP are opposed to them, and the EU is preparing for the British government to reject them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/13/northern-irish-firms-hail-eu-proposals-resolve-brexit-protocol-row

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/13/eu-offers-to-scrap-80-of-ni-food-checks-but-prepares-for-johnson-to-reject-deal

Its indicative of the poor standards of political representation in the UK.

I do wonder why that is.

Is it because it's mainly an oxbridge way to make your way in the world?

Or is it that ideology is not defined?

Why is European diplomacy more refined ?

Or is it that the UK is under attack because its left the EU?

2 minutes ago, Ked said:

Its indicative of the poor standards of political representation in the UK.

I do wonder why that is.

Is it because it's mainly an oxbridge way to make your way in the world?

Or is it that ideology is not defined?

Why is European diplomacy more refined ?

Or is it that the UK is under attack because its left the EU?

European diplomacy has traditionally never been more refined than the British version, and it hasn't got any better in recent years.  But the UK has gone backwards, because at its core the Brexit project is about the UK saying "ya boo hiss" to Europe rather than a pivot to the rest of the world.  People thought it was about leaving the EU, but it's not - it's about the relationship Britain has with Europe.  So these spats and squabbles are likely to keep happening for a long time until either (i) the UK's view of its relationship with Europe settles into a new equilibrium, or (ii) a more important problem comes along that's bigger and tougher and that needs everyone's shared attention.

France has similar issues to the UK, by the way.  Whether they'll be reflected in its relationship with the rest of Europe is harder to say.  But the issues are the same.  Both France and the UK are big world players, but they are declining in geopolitical importance.  Until lately they've both managed that decline well, but when you look forward over (say) the next generation or so you can see that their importance on the world stage has to diminish.  That's not a comfortable position for two members of the UN Security Council to be in.

7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

European diplomacy has traditionally never been more refined than the British version, and it hasn't got any better in recent years.  But the UK has gone backwards, because at its core the Brexit project is about the UK saying "ya boo hiss" to Europe rather than a pivot to the rest of the world.  People thought it was about leaving the EU, but it's not - it's about the relationship Britain has with Europe.  So these spats and squabbles are likely to keep happening for a long time until either (i) the UK's view of its relationship with Europe settles into a new equilibrium, or (ii) a more important problem comes along that's bigger and tougher and that needs everyone's shared attention.

France has similar issues to the UK, by the way.  Whether they'll be reflected in its relationship with the rest of Europe is harder to say.  But the issues are the same.  Both France and the UK are big world players, but they are declining in geopolitical importance.  Until lately they've both managed that decline well, but when you look forward over (say) the next generation or so you can see that their importance on the world stage has to diminish.  That's not a comfortable position for two members of the UN Security Council to be in.

I'd have hoped those issues were arrived.

I'm pessimistic about it all tbh.

26 minutes ago, Ked said:

I'd have hoped those issues were arrived.

I'm pessimistic about it all tbh.

I'm looking at our politicians here piously commenting on the environment, and then voting against improved public transport and safer segregated cycle routes for Dublin, and I'm not exactly optimistic.

8 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Can you translate this into  English ? 🤣

Cheers. 

No need to get all defensive nano. I could have said stop talking shite. 😂

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

That caused animosity.  But did it happen?

Yes it happened. My wife who is a Health Visitor has families on her case load with children she never saw simply because they lived in their home county. 

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

My question is what's the end game that Frost is playing here?

They don't need the DUP at all and go as far as to say that they couldn't give two fecks about them.

Is it to keep the grievance with the EU going as a cover to hide the fact that NI being within the Customs Union is benefitting NI hugely when the rest of the UK is shrinking economically by bring outside? Ergo the CU and EU membership actually works?

Are they fishing for an all out trade war? Again who benefits?

Are they just inept?

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

They don't need the DUP at all and go as far as to say that they couldn't give two fecks about them.

Is it to keep the grievance with the EU going as a cover to hide the fact that NI being within the Customs Union is benefitting NI hugely when the rest of the UK is shrinking economically by bring outside? Ergo the CU and EU membership actually works?

Are they just inept?

I'm going for your last option

SectionDJambo
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Are they just inept?

That will be Lord Frost, an unelected government official, negotiating with those unelected officials of the EU that we were told had no right to be in a position of influence on this country.

One of the reasons put forward for leaving the EU was all these unelected European people making decisions that affected the UK, but apparently it's ok for the UK to have an unelected person leading the fight against the injustice of an agreement, he and our PM were crowing about getting the EU to sign up to, just to "get Brexit done".

A matter of months after the fanfares we're told that their "great deal" was harmful to the UK, and Northern Ireland in particular, but that those pesky Europeans sneaked up on them and took advantage of their desperation to please the UK electorate who voted for Brexit.

An oven ready deal for Global Britain, we were told. You wonder what else is going to come out of the oven burnt to a cinder.

7 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Are they just inept?

There was a telling interview on BBC news last night with an NI business spokesman who pointed out the NIP is working, trade in NI is doing well (it's repositioned its economy to focus on EU trade and is booming - imports/exports from /to the EU are at record levels). But he poined out the EUCJ involvement and seemed resigned to the fact this was going to be the sticking point - "it's all about brexit purity". 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

There was a telling interview on BBC news last night with an NI business spokesman who pointed out the NIP is working, trade in NI is doing well (it's repositioned its economy to focus on EU trade and is booming - imports/exports from /to the EU are at record levels). But he poined out the EUCJ involvement and seemed resigned to the fact this was going to be the sticking point - "it's all about brexit purity". 

I heard a guy from NI today who is of the opinion that the unintended consequence of Brexit is the over-performance of NI with the EU due to still being a part of the CU and this is making the Brexit project look like the sack of shite that it clearly is. 

The flat earthers of the DUP are raging that NI is becoming more aligned with the Republic and that puts the fear into them, the backward ^^^^s that they are.

He reckons that the Tories can't have the CU being a proven success and they're desperate to scupper the current arrangement.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.