Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

WorldChampions1902
On 13/09/2021 at 16:12, Enzo Chiefo said:

The British public also weighed up the pros and cons of EU membership

So, the truncated list of Cons a couple of months ago looked like this. As for the Pro’s, a blue passport manufactured in Poland by a French-Dutch company and a few extra container ships of hormone-injected Aussie lamb cutlets seems scant reward for all that we have lost. Leavers were warned about much of this and shouted “Project Fear”.

And we haven’t even begun to endure all the downsides. Only 50 years to go till the unicorns arrive though, according to JRM.

To summarise, the British didn’t weigh up the pros and cons.

B78E92A8-FB17-48B1-A53D-0E1707154989.png

D77E0633-0D7D-4041-ACFE-F3771CD28EFE.jpeg

Edited by WorldChampions1902

• Replies 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, WorldChampions1902 said:

So, the truncated list of Cons a couple of months ago looked like this. As for the Pro’s, a blue passport manufactured in Poland by a French-Dutch company and a few extra container ships of hormone-injected Aussie lamb cutlets seems scant reward for all that we have lost. Leavers were warned about much of this and shouted “Project Fear”.

And we haven’t even begun to endure all the downsides. Only 50 years to go till the unicorns arrive though, according to JRM.

Come on now, what about crowns on pint glasses? You can't put a price on the pride that brings to a nation. 

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

B78E92A8-FB17-48B1-A53D-0E1707154989.png

D77E0633-0D7D-4041-ACFE-F3771CD28EFE.jpeg

Not the old chlorinated chicken pish. You do realise that you've probably eaten hundreds of salads that are treated in exactly the same way.

At the moment you can go to the supermarket and buy sandwiches with chicken made in Thailand and have the freedom various ranges, and prices,  of chicken breast from Organic, Freedom to Roam or cheaper versions.  

Freedom of choice. Eat it or don't. 

Anyone who voted Remain because of worries about food standards being lower, must be off their rocker.

53 minutes ago, jamboy1982 said:

Always good to come on this thread to see enzo getting his pants pulled down!! 😂😂

Toying with them  Jamboboy. Great to witness the seethe....even 5 years on for ffs.🤣

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

Come on now, what about crowns on pint glasses? You can't put a price on the pride that brings to a nation. 

Even that is  a rehashed story the Express printed years ago (2007). The whole thing is a pack of lies. :rofl:

32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not the old chlorinated chicken pish. You do realise that you've probably eaten hundreds of salads that are treated in exactly the same way.

At the moment you can go to the supermarket and buy sandwiches with chicken made in Thailand and have the freedom various ranges, and prices,  of chicken breast from Organic, Freedom to Roam or cheaper versions.  

Anyone who voted Remain because of worries about food standards being lower, must be off their rocker.

You mean we had chlorinated chicken in the UK BEFORE we quit the EU ? Is that what you're saying ? 

Aye , much more sane to vote for a lie on a red bus, eh ? :rofl:

Konrad von Carstein
42 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Animal husbandry standards was one element that concerned people,  food standards follows on from that.

The poorest in society don't have the luxury of choice,  they will buy what fits thier budget pumped with hormones and anti biotic or not.

8 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

You mean we had chlorinated chicken in the UK BEFORE we quit the EU ? Is that what you're saying ? 

Aye , much more sane to vote for a lie on a red bus, eh ? :rofl:

Salad, I thought I said.  Unless there's 2 ways of spelling it.🤣

With respect,  you're confusing chlorine with cyanide.🤣

You have to laugh at those who haven't a feckin clue about where the chicken in their lunchtime take away caesar wrap comes from, suddenly losing their shit about chlorinated chicken that they'll have eaten many times if they've ever been Stateside. 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Animal husbandry standards was one element that concerned people,  food standards follows on from that.

The poorest in society don't have the luxury of choice,  they will buy what fits thier budget pumped with hormones and anti biotic or not.

The same stuff that is available right now, pumped with hormones etc, available on every supermarket shelf. Feck all to do with Brexit. Ffs kVC, you're smarter than that.

Anyway signing out for the night. Have a good one.👍

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Salad, I thought I said.  Unless there's 2 ways of spelling it.🤣

With respect,  you're confusing chlorine with cyanide.🤣

You have to laugh at those who haven't a feckin clue about where the chicken in their lunchtime take away caesar wrap comes from, suddenly losing their shit about chlorinated chicken that they'll have eaten many times if they've ever been Stateside. 🤣🤣

I'm not confusing anything. I asked you a simple question , in fact I've asked a few, but you never answer. 

You seem to think the  lowering of food  standards is a trivial issue. The fact people may/probably have eaten it stateside is irrelevant : that's the standards that are applied there. What we are talking about is the potential lowering of food standards here (and the inhumane conditions chickens are kept in over stateside) as a consequence of no longer signing up to EU standards. No one is losing  their shit, just hyperbole from you, when it suits. 

Konrad von Carstein
12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The same stuff that is available right now, pumped with hormones etc, available on every supermarket shelf. Feck all to do with Brexit. Ffs kVC, you're smarter than that.

Anyway signing out for the night. Have a good one.👍

Is it?

I'll be honest and say I thought red tractor was the minimum standard for meat in the UK

But then I try to buy free range or if I'm  feeling dizzy organic chicken. Rarely eat other meats but when I do I don't buy the cheapest available.

Read that back and it makes me sound like a pompus arse,  it's not meant the way it may read.  Although I may be a PA in real life :lol:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, jamboy1982 said:

Always good to come on this thread to see enzo getting his pants pulled down!! 😂😂

I love to come on to this thread see all the rage, snotters and tears :lol:

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's an absolute joy.

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Animal husbandry ?

Are you seriously comparing the welfare of animals in the uk to Europe?

Of all the faults of brexit this ones way out .

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, Ked said:

Animal husbandry ?

Are you seriously comparing the welfare of animals in the uk to Europe?

Of all the faults of brexit this ones way out .

Reading and comprehension not your strong point obviously.

Now do me a favour and put me on ignore because I don't want anymore warning points because of you.

Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Reading and comprehension not your strong point obviously.

Now do me a favour and put me on ignore because I don't want anymore warning points because of you.

If you cant control yourself over one comment that's your problem not mine.

Your comment cited animal husbandry as a UK problem.

And somehow linked to brexit.

Animal husbandry is a problem in every country and some more especially.

And why should I go to the trouble of putting you on ignore just because you are unable to cope with a point of view?

Immediately replying with an insult.

Open your mind it's good for you.

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Yep, the Brexiteers are a joy to laugh at.

23 hours ago, Smithee said:

Oh aye, I get that you didn't like the answer, but that's not the same as not answering it 

He never does. Just goes on to his next error strewn rant. 

16 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I voted Remain.  😂

But a good bit of assumption jumping,  anyway.👍.

The EU were intransigent and paranoid when it came to the issue of GB/NI trade. That certainly could have been resolved by a common sense, trust based approach as goods destined for NI, NOT Ireland, are feck all to do with the EU. 

As it is, the impracticalities are playing out and the protocol may be heading for the shredder. 

The EU will then be forced into removing their head from the sand and negotiating in good faith.

If you say you voted Remain, who am I to challenge that?  But even if you did, can you not turn round to all the winners who voted Leave and tell them to stop crying?  They won.  Yaaay!  Not waaaah!  They really don't get it, and they need to wise up and start celebrating.

You are British, and understandably you have this notion that Britain can be trusted.  Good for you.  But with apologies and respect, the rest of us don't see you that way, and that is entirely the fault of your corrupt and untruthful government.  There can be no trust with people who prove themselves to be untrustworthy.  You yourself have said you regard the EU as corrupt.  Therefore, when you suggest that Britain's trading relationship with this corrupt party should be based on common sense and trust, there are only two possible explanations.  Either you are being hopelessly naive, or else you're at it.  You choose.

Even if in some alternate reality the British government was trustworthy, that does not matter.  All trade agreements are rule-based.  Even the zero option of WTO is a rules-based system, complete with limits, scopes and dispute resolution processes.

What impracticalities?  When was the last time you were in the North?  If there are any impracticalities they are very difficult indeed to track down, and they are certainly nowhere to be seen in Asda in Enniskillen or Strabane, Sainsbury's, Superdrug, Boots, Tesco, M&S or Primark in Newry, M&S, B&Q, Sainsbury's, Argos or Currys PC World in Sprucefield.  Maybe the two dozen people who bothered to show up outside Queen's University when European Commission vice-president Maroš Šefčovič was inside giving a speech about the Northern Ireland Protocol can explain what the impracticalities are.

Maybe the EU will be forced to [insert fantasy outcome here] when the UK triumphantly begins imposing its Customs controls in a couple of weeks. 

Oops.

On 13/09/2021 at 12:06, WorldChampions1902 said:

The question was, “What laws were imposed on the UK by the EU?”.

You have replied by citing alleged examples of “hundreds” of EU court decisions, that overturned U.K. court decisions. However, the U.K. cast its votes on creating those EU laws. The U.K. DISAGREED with ONLY 2% of the laws that it voted on since 1999. 

We didn’t like the decisions of the ECJ and ECHR? Tough! That’s what happens in a democracy. 

Official EU voting records* show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999, according to UK in a Changing Europe Fellows Sara Hagemann and Simon Hix.

653D9AA4-5CC6-4450-B324-19ACEF0CB261.jpeg

At the risk of going off topic, I'd be wary of trying to do a comparison of how democratic the EU is compared to any individual country.  The EU has to balance two sets of rights, and they play out differently in the different institutions.  Citizens of EU member countries have direct rights, and those are upheld in different ways by the directly elected parliament and by the ECJ.  However, the EU is a union of independent member countries, and each country itself has direct rights, which are upheld in different ways by the Council and the ECJ.  Finally, the Union itself has rights and authorities, and these are upheld in different ways by the ECJ and the Commission.  So it isn't as simple as saying the the EU is more democratic or less democratic than the UK, or Germany, or wherever.

1 hour ago, XB52 said:

He never does. Just goes on to his next error strewn rant. 

😄

I see he's signed out after putting up another dismal showing. 

WorldChampions1902
9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

At the risk of going off topic, I'd be wary of trying to do a comparison of how democratic the EU is compared to any individual country.  The EU has to balance two sets of rights, and they play out differently in the different institutions.  Citizens of EU member countries have direct rights, and those are upheld in different ways by the directly elected parliament and by the ECJ.  However, the EU is a union of independent member countries, and each country itself has direct rights, which are upheld in different ways by the Council and the ECJ.  Finally, the Union itself has rights and authorities, and these are upheld in different ways by the ECJ and the Commission.  So it isn't as simple as saying the the EU is more democratic or less democratic than the UK, or Germany, or wherever.

You are quite correct . My original response was intended to quash the oft-repeated BS from the Right wing media about “unelected EU bureaucrats” dictating U.K. laws etc. The same BS swallowed for decades by a certain segment of the populous and which was ultimately so decisive in swaying the final referendum outcome (along with the spurious immigration arguments that were spouted). To some Brits, the way the EU operates is a complete mystery (and it is a complex topic) with some taking the very simplistic and naive view that U.K. democracy is how “true democracy” works and as the EU does not operate the same way, it’s not democratic. IMHO, the EU is democratic but not perfect. The same applies to the U.K.  Sadly however, the weaknesses of the EU system were exaggerated and fully exploited to gain the end result.

periodictabledancer
4 hours ago, Beni said:

Suddenly free trade isn't such a bad thing.

Who knew?

Boris falsely claiming he doesn't want to carry out checks (wasn't this about taking back control? ) when the reality is it was the UK who pushed this through, refusing any extension and then realising they got caught with their pants down when they realised there was zero space at Dover and Holyhead.  So there's no way they could ever get the checks done. And it's still the case - there is nowhere at these ports for checks to be done. 

They're really pushing the "IT'S THE EU PUTTING BARRIERS UP" pish aren't they?

We chose to leave the single market.

Nations outside the single market have border checks.

It's our fault.

The EU hasn't changed anything to punish us.

This is just how things are when you're a 3rd nation.

The Mighty Thor
25 minutes ago, Cade said:

They're really pushing the "IT'S THE EU PUTTING BARRIERS UP" pish aren't they?

We chose to leave the single market.

Nations outside the single market have border checks.

It's our fault.

The EU hasn't changed anything to punish us.

This is just how things are when you're a 3rd nation.

The government are being allowed to peddle the lie as none of the MSM have the cojones to call them out and people are too thick to figure it out for themselves so it becomes the perceived wisdom.

You do it to yourself, you do
And that's what really hurts
Is you do it to yourself, just you
You and no one else
You do it to yourself
You do it to yourself

FYI the bloke at the end whispers "brexit means brexit"

Edited by Cade

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The government are being allowed to peddle the lie as none of the MSM have the cojones to call them out and people are too thick to figure it out for themselves so it becomes the perceived wisdom.

“Lies beget more lies”, is the well-worn phrase.

Brexit was built on a tissue of lies. The lies worked to con enough of the electorate to vote Leave. The assumption now is that further lies will cover-up the original lies.

Nuclear powered subs. :yas:

AUKUS :rofl: We really are a bunch of aggressive *****. Terrorists some would say.

::facepaw:: Sick of this shit.

The Mighty Thor

M&S announce that they'll be shutting 11 stores they operate with a franchise partner in France.

Apparently they were having difficulty exporting M&S gear to France, seeing as we're no longer in the EU.

what's the chances?

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

M&S announce that they'll be shutting 11 stores they operate with a franchise partner in France.

Apparently they were having difficulty exporting M&S gear to France, seeing as we're no longer in the EU.

what's the chances?

Bloody EU :seething:

5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

what's the chances?

M&S have already announced there will a shortage of a lot of Xmas goods in their NI stores because their Chairman (Archie Norman  , ex Tory MP and brexiteer) can't be arsed with the red tape to bring it from the UK mainland. You couldn't make it up. 

Meanwhile Frost tells us today UK will have  a "world class border by 2025".  And no one even blinks. 

It's like Orwell wrote 1984 with brexit mind. 

Talking to a small West coast shellfish producer who used to send 60% of his business to the EU.

Now it's Zero. He has picked up a few supermarket and food service contracts but not enough to replace his EU work.

Had to let 4 staff go out of 12.

The reason is not that he couldnt get orders/customers in the EU, its the paperwork, vets bills and shipping delays were too costly (apparently, he needed a Vet's certificate for every shipment to make sure his dead prawns were not being transported cruelly etc. so a Veterinarian had to physically visit his factory and check the boxes of shellfish - what a nonsense).

Boris is a cheeky wee scamp though eh?

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Nuclear powered subs. :yas:

AUKUS :rofl: We really are a bunch of aggressive *****. Terrorists some would say.

Ah here.  Leaving aside the fact that this is for a different thread, the West needs to take measures to counter Chinese hostility and aggression in the Pacific.

Edited by Ulysses

27 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Talking to a small West coast shellfish producer who used to send 60% of his business to the EU.

Now it's Zero. He has picked up a few supermarket and food service contracts but not enough to replace his EU work.

Had to let 4 staff go out of 12.

The reason is not that he couldnt get orders/customers in the EU, its the paperwork, vets bills and shipping delays were too costly (apparently, he needed a Vet's certificate for every shipment to make sure his dead prawns were not being transported cruelly etc. so a Veterinarian had to physically visit his factory and check the boxes of shellfish - what a nonsense).

Boris is a cheeky wee scamp though eh?

I wonder would it be worth his while to figure out a way to land some of his catch in NI and move it from there.

6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I wonder would it be worth his while to figure out a way to land some of his catch in NI and move it from there.

Hope not. I’m trying to flog him some automation at his factory 😂

2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Hope not. I’m trying to flog him some automation at his factory 😂

He could open a place in NI to process some of the seafood.  Nothing stopping a fella from supplying him there, although presumably he'd be putting whoever's doing the fishing under extra pressure.

I was talking to a car dealer whose used car trade is now more than double what it was in 2019.  Because of tax changes it's now too costly for us to buy used cars in GB.  Prices are still good in NI, but supplies are more limited.  His place sources cars from GB and sells them across the border, while also getting extra sales in NI as well.  He's taken on extra staff and seems to be a happy camper. 

The Mighty Thor

🚨 | NEW: Boris Johnson is to announce the return of imperial weights and measures, making it legal for market stalls, shops and supermarkets to sell their goods using only Britain’s traditional weighing system post-Brexit

Via @thetimes

Who said there would be no Brexit benefits eh?

Mind you there will soon be **** all in the shops to measure in imperial but hey details shhmeeetails

Nucky Thompson
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I was talking to a car dealer whose used car trade is now more than double what it was in 2019.  Because of tax changes it's now too costly for us to buy used cars in GB.  Prices are still good in NI, but supplies are more limited.  His place sources cars from GB and sells them across the border, while also getting extra sales in NI as well.  He's taken on extra staff and seems to be a happy camper. 

It's certainly the business to be in now.

Used car prices skyrocket to all-time high | Auto Express

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

🚨 | NEW: Boris Johnson is to announce the return of imperial weights and measures, making it legal for market stalls, shops and supermarkets to sell their goods using only Britain’s traditional weighing system post-Brexit

Via @thetimes

Who said there would be no Brexit benefits eh?

Mind you there will soon be **** all in the shops to measure in imperial but hey details shhmeeetails

“A pund o mince” or “a quarter of humbugs” etc. Is this the Brexit Bounce we were promised at last???

Theres no a pund O Boris hanging the right way!!!

Great news, the new almshouses can be built in imperial measurements, mead can be sold by the pint, wode garments by the yard, and the sheriff can evict you for not paying the window tax (in groats).