Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

The Mighty Thor

Frost bumping his gums threatening to ignore the NI Protocol again.

'Unbalanced and unsustainable' 

Sums this government up. 

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Increasingly 'taking back control' seems to look like the tail wagging the dog for the UK.

Hoping that the fear of unrest is enough to prevent the EU sticking to their guns seems just that...hopeful.

What a mess.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Increasingly 'taking back control' seems to look like the tail wagging the dog for the UK.

Hoping that the fear of unrest is enough to prevent the EU sticking to their guns seems just that...hopeful.

What a mess.

Easy way out for Johnson and Frosts's "excellent deal". : align with EU food standards and the vast majority of the problems disappear. In fact, Frost is already suggesting some/partial alignment in his upcoming proposals. 

It’s easier to rejoin and I bet much cheaper than this complete shambles that Johnson has dragged us into. 

GFA and Hard Brexit are mutually exclusive.

You can't have both.

Frost and Boris and all the rest of them can bleat and scream and moan and rip up as many treaties and agreements as they want, but that's the hard facts.

You can't demand to be totally out of the EU and to "take back control" of the UK borders then moan about the EU's border controls.

Roxy Hearts
5 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

Cummings struggling to conceal his duper's delight.

It's all a game to this sociopath.

Kunnesberg wouldn't know "honesty" if it was given to her in a Ferrari! Vile creature as is Cummings and the rest of his ilk.

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Kunnesberg wouldn't know "honesty" if it was given to her in a Ferrari! Vile creature as is Cummings and the rest of his ilk.

Yeah it’s hard to believe you watch that interview and end up disliking her more than him. 
Just goes to prove it’s not about having any talent for a job it’s about who’s boots your licking🤢

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

you could tell from her face at points in the interview that Kuenssberg is so far up Johnson's hoop that half the stuff Dom was coming out with was news to her. That's despite her being the BBC's Political Editor/Tory Shill Mouthpiece

Roxy Hearts
3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah it’s hard to believe you watch that interview and end up disliking her more than him. 
Just goes to prove it’s not about having any talent for a job it’s about who’s boots your licking🤢

She probably agrees with him but has to ask questions to make things look valid for the hard of thinking. British propaganda has no rules!

jack D and coke

I was listening to a bit on the radio today too that the European or EU countries have caught us up and in some cases surpassed the UK for vaccinations.

They can’t even use that pish anymore. 

2 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I was listening to a bit on the radio today too that the European or EU countries have caught us up and in some cases surpassed the UK for vaccinations.

They can’t even use that pish anymore. 

Is that true?  The top 3 EU countries for percentage of the population fully vaccinated are Malta (83%), Hungary (65%), and Ireland (65%).  If you include Iceland as part of the EU/EEA vaccination procurement programme that's another small country with more than 80% fully vaccinated.  But all the big countries are all on lower levels.  Germany 51%, France 53%, Italy 52%, Spain 55%, and Poland 53%.  The overall EU/EEA average is 51% fully vaccinated, and another 16% partly covered.  The EU is ahead of the United States, but behind the UK (as far as I know).  I know the Union is ahead in a number of other ways, and I'm aware that by the end of August we'll probably be at the same level as the UK in terms of raw percentages, but right now I think the UK is still entitled to wave its willy with pride about vaccination statistics.

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is that true?  The top 3 EU countries for percentage of the population fully vaccinated are Malta (83%), Hungary (65%), and Ireland (65%).  If you include Iceland as part of the EU/EEA vaccination procurement programme that's another small country with more than 80% fully vaccinated.  But all the big countries are all on lower levels.  Germany 51%, France 53%, Italy 52%, Spain 55%, and Poland 53%.  The overall EU/EEA average is 51% fully vaccinated, and another 16% partly covered.  The EU is ahead of the United States, but behind the UK (as far as I know).  I know the Union is ahead in a number of other ways, and I'm aware that by the end of August we'll probably be at the same level as the UK in terms of raw percentages, but right now I think the UK is still entitled to wave its willy with pride about vaccination statistics.

Forgot to post this link to the ECDC source.  The figures above are today's, which means for most countries they're up-to-date to either the 19th or 20th of July.

https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab

jack D and coke
3 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

It was on the radio today. Think only Germany has sort of equalled ours but they’re doing it with such pace now whereas ours has fell off a cliff. 
Not to down the UK’s so far btw it’s been one of the successes of this tbf. Something seems to have went wrong though. 

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Is it time brexit voters apologies? 🤔

As Jacob Rees-Mogg said, “the overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years”. So no chance of any apologies for another 49.5 years.

6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

It was on the radio today. Think only Germany has sort of equalled ours but they’re doing it with such pace now whereas ours has fell off a cliff. 
Not to down the UK’s so far btw it’s been one of the successes of this tbf. Something seems to have went wrong though. 

I'm not doubting you, I'm doubting the radio station.

The UK started ahead of the EU, and focused on getting a first dose into as many people as possible.  The EU started later, but used vaccines with a shorter time delay between doses, which means that once we got past the first phase we were always going to catch up in terms of second doses and fully vaccinated people.  And also, because the UK's numbers are higher, the numbers of adults still left who are eligible for and willing to take the vaccine has fallen, whereas in the EU everyone is at the peak of rolling out doses, so that goes most of the way to explaining why the UK seems to have fallen back in relative terms.

When the dust settles, there won't be much to see by way of differences between countries in the developed world, except for countries where there is a higher rate of vaccine hesitancy (or whatever the politically correct term for that sort of thing is) on the part of the public.  But right now the only countries who are matching or bettering the UK's pace of vaccinations are Iceland, Hungary and Ireland, with Belgium not too far off the pace.  The five most populous have all still to catch up, though for the most part they should do that over the next 6-7 weeks.

I don't know what happened to the UK after about 2012-13 to make it so insecure on the world stage.  Up until then I'd find it hard to imagine the country coming out with the kind of childish guff to be seen nowadays.  Between vaccine statistics willy-waving, lying about the Trade Agreement and the NI Protocol, pretending that re-heated trade deals are new, and simply not being willing to stand over Government policies the moment there's a bit of hassle, the UK really has become something of a circus.   I sometimes wonder did the Scottish independence referendum spook the English, or what the heck else happened, to change the country from being the confident world leader second only to the USA into the diplomatic and geopolitical equivalent of the Keystone Cops.  The fall in stature has been both rapid and graceless to an extent that is really baffling.

17 hours ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

Is it time brexit voters apologies? 🤔

The Rabid Remainers blame Brexit for the logistics and labour problems caused by Covid! 😂

95% of goods in this country are delivered by HGV drivers. There was a shortage of 60000 prior to Brexit or Covid. Since the outbreak of Covid, 20000 drivers from the EU have left, but nobody believes this is only because of Brexit. The Road Haulage association indicate that many will come back when Covid enables. The real problem has been the 30000 cancelled HGV tests during lockdown and the fact that no inroads have been made into reducing this back log. In short, new drivers aren't getting qualified. 

There is clearly a real problem with the distribution of food and other supplies in the UK, this has been exacerbated by the EU blockade, which is an unofficial attempt to punish the UK for leaving. The biggest problem has **** all to do with Brexit or Covid and everything to do with a Labour shortage across the Western world. The median age in the UK, for example, was 34 in 1950. It is now 40. This is in fact skewed by the relatively young Median age in London (36). Some UK regions have a real problem because they have a Median age as high as 44 (its 42 in Scotland). This has massive implications for the future. We need young workers and we are not going to get that by plundering poorer EU nations, and destroying local economies in the process. We need a global workforce and unfortunately the racist nature of the EU's Labour supply strategy was never going to enable this. 

Things aren't great in the short term, but we're not going to starve. In a few years we'll be asking what the **** the problem was?

The Mighty Thor
17 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

The Rabid Remainers blame Brexit for the logistics and labour problems caused by Covid! 😂

95% of goods in this country are delivered by HGV drivers. There was a shortage of 60000 prior to Brexit or Covid. Since the outbreak of Covid, 20000 drivers from the EU have left, but nobody believes this is only because of Brexit. The Road Haulage association indicate that many will come back when Covid enables. The real problem has been the 30000 cancelled HGV tests during lockdown and the fact that no inroads have been made into reducing this back log. In short, new drivers aren't getting qualified. 

There is clearly a real problem with the distribution of food and other supplies in the UK, this has been exacerbated by the EU blockade, which is an unofficial attempt to punish the UK for leaving. The biggest problem has **** all to do with Brexit or Covid and everything to do with a Labour shortage across the Western world. The median age in the UK, for example, was 34 in 1950. It is now 40. This is in fact skewed by the relatively young Median age in London (36). Some UK regions have a real problem because they have a Median age as high as 44 (its 42 in Scotland). This has massive implications for the future. We need young workers and we are not going to get that by plundering poorer EU nations, and destroying local economies in the process. We need a global workforce and unfortunately the racist nature of the EU's Labour supply strategy was never going to enable this. 

Things aren't great in the short term, but we're not going to starve. In a few years we'll be asking what the **** the problem was?

Oh my!

So this EU blockade thing then Wolfie? I assume that you've got something to back that wild shit up?

or do you perhaps mean the Withdrawal Agreement? The 'Oven Ready' deal much beloved of the Little Englanders.

Of course the  UK Government to scrapping Freedom of Movement rights will not have helped any potential Labour shortage, but i'm sure Johnson and the boys thought all that through before they rushed the WA through.

But it's nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with Covid right?

Right?

:cornette:

Edited by The Mighty Thor

15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I'm not doubting you, I'm doubting the radio station.

The UK started ahead of the EU, and focused on getting a first dose into as many people as possible.  The EU started later, but used vaccines with a shorter time delay between doses, which means that once we got past the first phase we were always going to catch up in terms of second doses and fully vaccinated people.  And also, because the UK's numbers are higher, the numbers of adults still left who are eligible for and willing to take the vaccine has fallen, whereas in the EU everyone is at the peak of rolling out doses, so that goes most of the way to explaining why the UK seems to have fallen back in relative terms.

When the dust settles, there won't be much to see by way of differences between countries in the developed world, except for countries where there is a higher rate of vaccine hesitancy (or whatever the politically correct term for that sort of thing is) on the part of the public.  But right now the only countries who are matching or bettering the UK's pace of vaccinations are Iceland, Hungary and Ireland, with Belgium not too far off the pace.  The five most populous have all still to catch up, though for the most part they should do that over the next 6-7 weeks.

I don't know what happened to the UK after about 2012-13 to make it so insecure on the world stage.  Up until then I'd find it hard to imagine the country coming out with the kind of childish guff to be seen nowadays.  Between vaccine statistics willy-waving, lying about the Trade Agreement and the NI Protocol, pretending that re-heated trade deals are new, and simply not being willing to stand over Government policies the moment there's a bit of hassle, the UK really has become something of a circus.   I sometimes wonder did the Scottish independence referendum spook the English, or what the heck else happened, to change the country from being the confident world leader second only to the USA into the diplomatic and geopolitical equivalent of the Keystone Cops.  The fall in stature has been both rapid and graceless to an extent that is really baffling.

Is this the best you can come up with to justify the Irish taking the dry boaby from the EU over NI and beyond. Its absolute drivel. Not even consulted about attempts to block vaccine deliveries, not even considered over attempts to block food supplies to NI, didn't even comment when the French were going to cut electricity supplies to UK territories, and silent on the continuing unofficial blockade of UK goods into the whole of Ireland. This is the real "childish guff" mate. One chink of light of course, that the largest party in Ireland, the whole of Ireland, is Sinn Fein, and there is no way they'd have allowed the EU to shaft the Irish in this way, regardless of their pro EU stance. They'll fight for the rights of the Irish people when they govern Ireland and they won't be a mouth piece for the French and the Germans.  At the moment Dublin is rolling over and getting its tummy tickled for an ever decreasing bag of Euros from an organisation that is no longer fit for purpose.

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh my!

So this EU blockade thing then Wolfie? I assume that you've got something to back that wild shit up?

or do you perhaps mean the Withdrawal Agreement? The 'Oven Ready' deal much beloved of the Little Englanders.

Of course the  UK Government to scrapping Freedom of Movement rights will not have helped any potential Labour shortage, but i'm sure Johnson and the boys thought all that through before they rushed the WA through.

But it's nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with Covid right?

Right?

:cornette:

Even for you this is a vacuous intervention. Rather than debate the points which are clear, you shout something about little englander and post a pretty picture. At one time you seemed to have a modicum of intelligence. I was wrong.

Why are goods not reaching supermarkets? - No response because you know I'm right.

The withdrawl agreement is the withdrawl agreement not the holding of goods at check points until they rot.

Funnily enough, on labour shortages you mirror the little Englander approach. A small but annoying, gobby bunch of bigots that don't give a shite if Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria etc collapse under massive migation to rEU. 

I repeat again, plundering poorer EU nations is not the way to solve Labour shortages. 

You just want white faces tiny thor, the sooner you shake hands with your little englander mates, the sooner we can all move on.

The rising cost of Brexit to Britain was laid bare on Thursday as a new analysis showed quitting the EU had delivered an £18 billion blow to the UK’s trade in goods.

Official figures also showed the taxpayer has had to pick up a bill of more than £700 million spent by the Home Office on quitting the EU in just one year. The latest costings came as talks between the UK and Brussels remain deadlocked over the type of trade border between Northern Ireland and Britain agreed by the Government when it struck its Brexit deal.

The Centre for European Reform estimates that leaving the single market and customs union at the end of December 2020 had reduced UK trade by £10 billion, or 13.5 per cent, in May. The think tank said this was on top of a £8 billion, or 10 per cent, hit to trade between the June 2016 referendum and splintering away from the single market.

https://apple.news/AX3ttc7RnQNqG5Ro6Ug8LPw

It’s all going so well🤣

The Mighty Thor
37 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Even for you this is a vacuous intervention. Rather than debate the points which are clear, you shout something about little englander and post a pretty picture. At one time you seemed to have a modicum of intelligence. I was wrong.

Why are goods not reaching supermarkets? - No response because you know I'm right.

The withdrawl agreement is the withdrawl agreement not the holding of goods at check points until they rot.

Funnily enough, on labour shortages you mirror the little Englander approach. A small but annoying, gobby bunch of bigots that don't give a shite if Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria etc collapse under massive migation to rEU. 

I repeat again, plundering poorer EU nations is not the way to solve Labour shortages. 

You just want white faces tiny thor, the sooner you shake hands with your little englander mates, the sooner we can all move on.

I think you might be suffering from heatstroke me old china.

why are goods not in supermarkets - lack of goods due to Brexit and lack of labour due to the £37B track and trace cluster**** aligned with a really shit handling of the covid pandemic.

The WA is the Conservatives WA. Any ramifications of this wonderful oven ready deal are 100% on them. 

Bigots you say? funny enough you've not been seen for a few weeks since England's Euro's failure and the ensuing glimpse into the dark heart of English nationalism. 

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

The rising cost of Brexit to Britain was laid bare on Thursday as a new analysis showed quitting the EU had delivered an £18 billion blow to the UK’s trade in goods.

Official figures also showed the taxpayer has had to pick up a bill of more than £700 million spent by the Home Office on quitting the EU in just one year. The latest costings came as talks between the UK and Brussels remain deadlocked over the type of trade border between Northern Ireland and Britain agreed by the Government when it struck its Brexit deal.

The Centre for European Reform estimates that leaving the single market and customs union at the end of December 2020 had reduced UK trade by £10 billion, or 13.5 per cent, in May. The think tank said this was on top of a £8 billion, or 10 per cent, hit to trade between the June 2016 referendum and splintering away from the single market.

https://apple.news/AX3ttc7RnQNqG5Ro6Ug8LPw

It’s all going so well🤣

I don't get your last sentence and smiley face. Are you enjoying this? Do you hope the country suffers because of Brexit simply so you can say I told you so to the majority of voters?

I am completely opposed to Scottish independence but if it happened I would be praying it was a success and if it all went Pete Tong I certainly wouldn't be pissing myself laughing.

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

One chink of light of course, that the largest party in Ireland, the whole of Ireland, is Sinn Fein, and there is no way they'd have allowed the EU to shaft the Irish in this way, regardless of their pro EU stance. They'll fight for the rights of the Irish people when they govern Ireland and they won't be a mouth piece for the French and the Germans.  

An Internationalist expressing support for a nationalist party.

FastEnlightenedBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif

Malinga the Swinga
35 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I don't get your last sentence and smiley face. Are you enjoying this? Do you hope the country suffers because of Brexit simply so you can say I told you so to the majority of voters?

I am completely opposed to Scottish independence but if it happened I would be praying it was a success and if it all went Pete Tong I certainly wouldn't be pissing myself laughing.

That's the mentality on here. Who cares if country suffers, folk lose jobs or any bad news occurs, it allows them to a) boast and predict they knew it would happen, and b) blame Westminster & Toaries(conveniently forgetting hundreds of thousands Scots voted for Brexit).

It's sad to see how thick some people are that they enjoy others misery.

Unknown user
40 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Of course he doesn't hope that, don't be ridiculous! He's ripping the pish out of the "Everything's Fine" gang, obvs

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Smithee said:

Of course he doesn't hope that, don't be ridiculous! He's ripping the pish out of the "Everything's Fine" gang, obvs

Who are the Everything is fine gang?

Ron Burgundy
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

That's the mentality on here. Who cares if country suffers, folk lose jobs or any bad news occurs, it allows them to a) boast and predict they knew it would happen, and b) blame Westminster & Toaries(conveniently forgetting hundreds of thousands Scots voted for Brexit).

It's sad to see how thick some people are that they enjoy others misery.

It is incredible. I assume they don't have kids, mortgages, pensions or jobs.

Unknown user
47 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Who are the Everything is fine gang?

If you need more info than the name I used, I don't know what to tell you!

Unknown user
52 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It is incredible. I assume they don't have kids, mortgages, pensions or jobs.

It's also bollocks

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

If you need more info than the name I used, I don't know what to tell you!

How about tell me the names of the people in the gang?

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

How about tell me the names of the people in the gang?

Eh? How the hell would I know? What do you think's going on here?

Ron Burgundy

Eh? How the hell would I know? What do you think's going on here?

''Of course he doesn't hope that, don't be ridiculous! He's ripping the pish out of the "Everything's Fine" gang, obvs''

You quoted that his smiley face was for the everything is fine gang. I asked who they were. Do they post on here? 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

''Of course he doesn't hope that, don't be ridiculous! He's ripping the pish out of the "Everything's Fine" gang, obvs''

You quoted that his smiley face was for the everything is fine gang. I asked who they were. Do they post on here? 

:laugh2: aaaaah, you're butthurt because you think he's talking about you!

Ron Burgundy

:laugh2: aaaaah, you're butthurt because you think he's talking about you!

God no I have no firm opinion on Brexit either way. Not at all, I have hardly posted on this thread. But I assume you were trying to slag off certain posters, I just wondered who they were.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, fancy a brew said:

:lol:

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

God no I have no firm opinion on Brexit either way. Not at all, I have hardly posted on this thread. But I assume you were trying to slag off certain posters, I just wondered who they were.

Nope

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Smithee said:

Nope

Fair enough. It's clear the Groovy Gang exist elsewhere and not on this forum.

WorldChampions1902
3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

According to the Leaver in the interview below, Brexit has screwed his business on Staffing, Logistics and Freedom of Movement. Seems like rabid Leavers are starting to blame Brexit now too.

None of the main parties are backing or campaigning to rejoin the EU. So, I guess that's that for the foreseeable. 

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, pablo said:

None of the main parties are backing or campaigning to rejoin the EU. So, I guess that's that for the foreseeable. 

It can't happen, the English public would go Tonto

Wouldn't be a vote winner I don't think. From memory, the Scottish Leave vote wasn't a kick in the arse under  what the SNP roughly poll in elections. Don't suppose we should just gloss over that either.

As disappointing a situation as it is, I'm not sure how bothered the general public really is about it?

Unknown user
14 minutes ago, pablo said:

Wouldn't be a vote winner I don't think. From memory, the Scottish Leave vote wasn't a kick in the arse under  what the SNP roughly poll in elections. Don't suppose we should just gloss over that either.

As disappointing a situation as it is, I'm not sure how bothered the general public really is about it?

If the UK government announced it was in talks to rejoin the EU, surely the English electorate would lose it

17 minutes ago, Smithee said:

If the UK government announced it was in talks to rejoin the EU, surely the English electorate would lose it

I was meaning the Tories, Labour or the Libdems. None of them are backing rejoining, so you couldn't even back one of them at the next GE on that basis. 

The current UK government obviously isn't going to enter talks to rejoin the EU. 

Unknown user
23 minutes ago, pablo said:

I was meaning the Tories, Labour or the Libdems. None of them are backing rejoining, so you couldn't even back one of them at the next GE on that basis. 

The current UK government obviously isn't going to enter talks to rejoin the EU. 

Yeah that's all I'm saying, it's not going to happen, political suicide in the current climate

7 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

the EU blockade, which is an unofficial attempt to punish the UK for leaving

:laugh:

There's more, wait for it:

:4_1_72:

6 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

One chink of light of course, that the largest party in Ireland, the whole of Ireland, is Sinn Fein, and there is no way they'd have allowed the EU to shaft the Irish in this way, regardless of their pro EU stance.

:rofl:

5 hours ago, fancy a brew said:

At least he didn't say the 'tiocfaidh ár lá' thing.  :rofl:

Savage Vince
3 hours ago, Smithee said:

They're already Tonto, that's why we're in this mess and the UK is a basketcase.