Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

SectionDJambo

If Brexit does end up turning out to be harmful to the UK, at least most of the protagonists for it can be held accountable in their roles within the current government. No hiding places for the Conservative party from this one. They pushed for it, got it through the people and Parliament, and negotiated the terms of, what we were told would be, the easiest deal in our history.

The one who faces absolutely no accountability is Farage, the cheerleader of the Rule Britannia boys and Trump. He will declare, from his new home when he moves away from our brave new UK to Germany, that it was all Johnson’s fault because he failed to negotiate as good a separation from the EU as he would have done.

He is the ultimate Teflon Man, who should have been hounded by the UK press for publicly saying that Trump was the bravest man he had ever met. Trump, the draft dodger, braver than any of the ex servicemen in the UK, who Farage would happily pose for photos with, to boost his own false ego.

They should have kept him locked up in that pub in the High Street, a few years ago, when they had the chance.

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ghanian farmers threatening to stop all exports to the UK because we're trading with them on WTO terms and the tariffs are resulting in them losing money on every shipment of bananas.

The UK refused to "roll over" the deal that the EU has with Ghana in december.

Instead, the UK tried to force the Ghanians into a new "take it or leave it" deal.

They left it.

Now we're trading on WTO terms.

WorldChampions1902
19 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

I just don’t understand what has happened here tbh. Who is benefiting? It’s a slowly unfolding fecking disaster...

Id like to see odds on us rejoining in the next year or so tbh. 

I hope I’m wrong, but I reckon we are in for a decade of decay, before we look to Rejoin. If you want to understand why we ended up where we now find ourselves, the following is a brilliant up to date summary from the FT. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

https://www.ft.com/content/cc6b0d9a-d8cc-4ddb-8c57-726df018c10e

Imagine how bad things would be if we had left on No Deal "Australian Terms"?

Seem to remember some comments here that a no deal would just mean a smaller GDP over 15 years.

Perhaps they'll come back on and reassure us Remoaners that it's just Guardian propaganda.

Department for International Trade advisors are telling UK companies to set up shell companies registered in the EU to get around Brexit red tape

:scenes:

11 minutes ago, Cade said:

Department for International Trade advisors are telling UK companies to set up shell companies registered in the EU to get around Brexit red tape

:scenes:

This has been happening in reality for months. 

Another business overhead that no one wants to acknowledge in brexitopia. 

4 hours ago, Cade said:

Ghanian farmers threatening to stop all exports to the UK because we're trading with them on WTO terms and the tariffs are resulting in them losing money on every shipment of bananas.

The UK refused to "roll over" the deal that the EU has with Ghana in december.

Instead, the UK tried to force the Ghanians into a new "take it or leave it" deal.

They left it.

Now we're trading on WTO terms.

Oh for the heady days when Liz Truss was sending trade agreements to Japan (amongst others) using EU terms but simply replacing "EU" with "UK".    And being sent packing.

The naivety of this govt is staggering. But then Truss was a "remoaner" until the outcome of the advisory referendum was known. 

8 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

If Brexit does end up turning out to be harmful to the UK, at least most of the protagonists for it can be held accountable in their roles within the current government. No hiding places for the Conservative party from this one. They pushed for it, got it through the people and Parliament, and negotiated the terms of, what we were told would be, the easiest deal in our history.

The one who faces absolutely no accountability is Farage, the cheerleader of the Rule Britannia boys and Trump. He will declare, from his new home when he moves away from our brave new UK to Germany, that it was all Johnson’s fault because he failed to negotiate as good a separation from the EU as he would have done.

He is the ultimate Teflon Man, who should have been hounded by the UK press for publicly saying that Trump was the bravest man he had ever met. Trump, the draft dodger, braver than any of the ex servicemen in the UK, who Farage would happily pose for photos with, to boost his own false ego.

They should have kept him locked up in that pub in the High Street, a few years ago, when they had the chance.

Gove & Johnson (and many others still in Cabinet positions) trumpeted brexit. 

Johnson in particular is despicable : he was in/out/shakeitallabout , saying whatever the moment required (just like Gove). But they campaigned and  lied to win the day (that red bus just won't go away) and they'll defend it to the death, as will the Tory media (ie nearly all of the UK media). 

There won't be accountability because so many brexiters don't care about the outcome : "brexit" was always the prize, in itself that was enough.

The consequences are irrelevant.

Only the outcome mattered. 

WorldChampions1902
7 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

President Biden phoned Boris first before anyone else in Europe - report BBC - good news 

Mr Johnson has attempted to play down suggestions of a rift with the new president as a result of his close relationship with Donald Trump and his previous remarks about Barack Obama.

In recent days he has refused to comment on a description of the president as “woke” and his decision to remove a bust of Sir Winston Churchill in the Oval Office. He has previously suggested that Barack Obama’s removal of the bust in 2016 was “a snub to Britain” which might be prompted by the “part-Kenyan” president’s ancestral dislike of the empire. Mr Biden once described Mr Johnson as a “physical and emotional clone of Trump”.

I wonder what Kamala Harris thinks of Bogjob, given the above? Pretty sure it’s not “good news”.

Keep digging.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/biden-boris-johnson-phone-call-covid-b1791787.html

Edited by WorldChampions1902

Konrad von Carstein
34 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

President Biden phoned Boris first before anyone else in Europe - report BBC - good news 

:vrface:

19 hours ago, Taffin said:

Not having sympathy for someone is hardly vitriolic.

He wasn't about to go bust. He just wanted more. 

It was in general, not personal. Scotland has a way back in, if it bothers us so much, why don't we take it. Easy. 

15 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Remember the farmer who relied on Eastern European countries labour to pick his crop? On the C4 Dispatches programme he conceded that voting for Brexit would mean he would be out of business. One of the quotes, David Figgis said he voted for what he thinks is “better for my country” but added: “Personally, it’s a disaster.”

Not quite in tune with your point, but that is a special type of person. He was so conned, that he was willing to vote for likely having to wind up has family business in order to “benefit” his country. I struggle to make sense of that, like much of Brexiteer thinking. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-backing-fruit-farmer-shares-fears-after-voting-leave-despite-relying-on-eastern-european-labour-a4111936.html

I didn't say they were all geniuses. :)

We are governed by fools. I suspect we will be back in the EU very shorty. This shambles is just not sustainable in short term or the long term.  

Edited by Boy Daniel

The Mighty Thor

Its all unravelling in exactly the way anyone with half a brain knew it would. 

The fact that Biden has blanked Johnson's all in gamble for a short term trade deal to focus on his domestic agenda shows how bereft of any kind of a plan the Tories were over the 4 years since their big win. 

The Brexit shitshow will pick up pace now as the various supply chains (foods, medicines, industrial) burn through the stock they forward bought ahead of 1st Jan. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
42 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

We are governed by fools. I suspect we will be back in the EU very shorty. This shambles is just not sustainable in short term or the long term.  

Then we would be governed by Brussels, from the frying pan 🍳 into the fire 🔥, super, smashing, great 

7 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

Then we would be governed by Brussels, from the frying pan 🍳 into the fire 🔥, super, smashing, great 

:lol: Are people still trotting out this “governed by Bruseels” nonsense?

4 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

The wheels of Brexit are come off big time.. Brussels have stitched us because this government are asleep at the wheel and living on jingoistic rhetoric that is now showing them up for what they are, useless. 

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

:lol: Are people still trotting out this “governed by Bruseels” nonsense?

Usually blown clean out the water with 'name one single law that Brussels has imposed on you?'

On 23/01/2021 at 18:17, Costanza said:

Imagine how bad things would be if we had left on No Deal "Australian Terms"?

Seem to remember some comments here that a no deal would just mean a smaller GDP over 15 years.

Perhaps they'll come back on and reassure us Remoaners that it's just Guardian propaganda.

If only there was a poster who's name is synonymous with making comebacks. 🤔 

Maybe this thread has got under their skin. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose they'll do it their way. 😉 

That's life. :whistling:

54 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

If only there was a poster who's name is synonymous with making comebacks. 🤔 

Maybe this thread has got under their skin. 🤷‍♂️

I suppose they'll do it their way. 😉 

That's life. :whistling:

🤔😅

9 hours ago, Boy Daniel said:

The wheels of Brexit are come off big time.. Brussels have stitched us because this government are asleep at the wheel and living on jingoistic rhetoric that is now showing them up for what they are, useless. 

Are people still trotting out this "Brussels have stitched us" line?

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

No, but they should have. 

WorldChampions1902
8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Hard to believe, given we were told, “we hold all the cards”, “the easiest deal in history”  and, “there are no downsides to Brexit, only considerable upsides”. 

There is insufficient character allowances in this box to comprehensively cover all the Brexit “positives” we were pledged, so apologies for the multitude of omissions.

The Mighty Thor
11 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Brussels didn't need to do anything at all. 

They just stood back for 4 years and let the inevitable happen. 

Beyond 'take back control' the ideologues had no idea of what they actually wanted from the Brexit they coveted so much. 

Brexit means Brexit.

Take back Control.

Easiest Deal in History.

No more EU laws.

They Need us more than we need them.

Better Together.

Lock her up.

Drain the swamp.

Build the wall.

Count the votes.

Is this what we have become? Soundbites and slogans?

How about some new ones:

Stop reading The Mail.

Dont watch the BBC.

Dont believe Twitter.

Facebook isn't factual.

Tories gonna lie (I like that one).

WorldChampions1902

The FT now reporting a Five-fold increase in MasterCard charges when we purchase from a EU-based company. I thought we were promised everything costing less? Surely some mistake.

EE1723B2-0964-4FF9-BBBD-F02B9E250DAF.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/brexit-dutch-warehouse-boom-as-uk-firms-forced-to-invest-abroad

Logistics and warehousing companies in the Netherlands are being inundated with requests from British businesses looking to rent warehouse space, as the country experiences a Brexit boom in investment and jobs.

Thousands of small businesses have been plunged into crisis by the UK’s departure from the EU, with exports to the continent collapsing because of delays at ports, increased shipping costs, and the sudden addition of VAT, customs duties, and in some cases tariffs, on shipments sent from the UK to customers within the bloc.

Brexiteers leaving the EU is all working out! it’s going well it’s all going to the EU😂

Failed State here we come. 

20 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Nigel spot on as usual 

:lol:

Like he wouldn't be screaming about British made vaccines going to Europe if we were still in the EU. 

Makes perfect sense to me. I'd be hoping we have something similar with the vaccine developed in the UK. Don't see anything wrong with a first dibs approach in this situation. 

It's just another consequence of Brexit. He just wants to have his cake and eat it. He wants the advantages of being out the EU with the speedier vaccines rollout but the benefits of EU membership by having unfettered access vaccines produced there. 

Edited by Norm

The Mighty Thor
22 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Nigel spot on as usual 

I thought he'd reinvented himself as a financial advisor not a public health expert.

Not a peep out the racist ***** about Brexit since 1st Jan though. 

EU ordered and paid up front for a certain number of vaccines.

AstraZenica is now saying they're not going to meet that contracted amount.
EU is demanding to know if AZ are still supplying other customers.

In other words, AZ are being suspected of profiteering, delivering vaccines to other nations for a higher price and willfully breaching their contract with the EU.

So, the EU is threatening to ban exports of the vaccine until their order is met.

Fair enough.

If I'd ordered and paid for items then found out the supplier was selling them to other people and telling me they were out of stock I'd be feckin seething too.

Edited by Cade

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

In other words, AZ are being suspected of profiteering, delivering vaccines to other nations for a higher price and willfully breaching their contract with the EU.

So, the EU is threatening to ban exports of the vaccine until their order is met.

Fair enough.

If I'd ordered and paid for items then found out the supplier was selling them to other people and telling me they were out of stock I'd be feckin seething too.

What's his hard on with the EU? We're oot. He got what he wanted. Why does he have to keep bending the truth, making shit up and stirring shit? 

Nucky Thompson
52 minutes ago, Norm said:

What's his hard on with the EU? We're oot. 

Because it's not the UK.

It's all shit he posted anyway, AZ are not making a profit on their vaccine

Adam_the_legend
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Fair enough.

a more nuanced explanation of the situation from peston

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Norm said:

What's his hard on with the EU? We're oot. He got what he wanted. Why does he have to keep bending the truth, making shit up and stirring shit? 

It’s what he does.

He’ll be upset that his mate Trump, another liar and shit stirrer, isn’t in a position to fulfil the promise of a fantastic free trade deal with the US.

He has to keep up the narrative of the EU as bogey men.

If the UK thought that the EU we’re getting supplies of the vaccine that we had paid for first, he would be the first to shout about it. The man is a hypocrite.

On 25/01/2021 at 12:29, The Mighty Thor said:

Brussels didn't need to do anything at all. 

They just stood back for 4 years and let the inevitable happen. 

Beyond 'take back control' the ideologues had no idea of what they actually wanted from the Brexit they coveted so much. 

Up to a point that's true.  Wherever you see a trade problem, it's not because the EU "stitched up" the UK - nor is it the other way round.  It's how things usually are for countries outside the EU trying to trade with countries inside the EU.

But it's only true up to a point.  Repeatedly during the negotiations, the EU pointed out areas where trade friction would happen and to try to stop it.  Repeatedly, the UK government said no.  The touring thing that yon whining weapons grade gobshite Roger Daltrey was moaning about is a prime example.  The EU pointed out that as the rules stood, UK musicians and cultural acts would not be able to tour in the EU without special arrangements.  It's also true the other way round, but this is much bigger business for the UK than for Europe.  They made proposals to fix the problem, and the UK government refused.  Likewise, the EU made proposals to make Erasmus+ exchanges possible, but the UK government refused.  So not only did Brussels NOT stitch the UK up, but several times in the negotiations Brussels spotted a problem, tried to fix it, and got knocked back. 

Whether it's a stitch up or a **** up, it's probably the fault of the Tories.

8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Because it's not the UK.

It's all shit he posted anyway, AZ are not making a profit on their vaccine

Norm was talking about Farage. And AZ are making profits. 

10 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

AZ have said they will sell at cost and not make profit during pandemic 

People say a lot. Whitty and his mates told the UK governments asymptomatic wasn't a risk and borders weren't an issue. So they stuck people in care homes and allowed carers to go from home to home, whilst allowing the Coronavirus to be transported back in, especially to Scotland, who had it almost wiped out in the summer. So I'll not take their word as gospel, and I still don't trust the safety of their vaccine, as corners were cut and they covered up mistakes and risks. 

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

People say a lot. Whitty and his mates told the UK governments asymptomatic wasn't a risk and borders weren't an issue. So they stuck people in care homes and allowed carers to go from home to home, whilst allowing the Coronavirus to be transported back in, especially to Scotland, who had it almost wiped out in the summer. So I'll not take their word as gospel, and I still don't trust the safety of their vaccine, as corners were cut and they covered up mistakes and risks. 

Why would AZ lie about selling it at cost? What would they gain out of it?

I can't work you out You rip into all the conspiracy theorists, but you're one yourself

6 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Why would AZ lie about selling it at cost? What would they gain out of it?

I can't work you out You rip into all the conspiracy theorists, but you're one yourself

Profits

It's not a conspiracy. They're making money, so what, don't lie about it. Personally couldn't give a shit. 

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Profits

It's not a conspiracy. They're making money, so what, don't lie about it. Personally couldn't give a shit. 

Exactly. It wouldn't make any difference if they said that they were making a profit. So why lie?

It's pretty easy to work out, the price they are selling it for minus the cost of making it.

The price the UK are paying

Moderna...£28 a shot

Pfizer...£20 a shot

AZ.....£3 a shot

The Mighty Thor
16 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Up to a point that's true.  Wherever you see a trade problem, it's not because the EU "stitched up" the UK - nor is it the other way round.  It's how things usually are for countries outside the EU trying to trade with countries inside the EU.

But it's only true up to a point.  Repeatedly during the negotiations, the EU pointed out areas where trade friction would happen and to try to stop it.  Repeatedly, the UK government said no.  The touring thing that yon whining weapons grade gobshite Roger Daltrey was moaning about is a prime example.  The EU pointed out that as the rules stood, UK musicians and cultural acts would not be able to tour in the EU without special arrangements.  It's also true the other way round, but this is much bigger business for the UK than for Europe.  They made proposals to fix the problem, and the UK government refused.  Likewise, the EU made proposals to make Erasmus+ exchanges possible, but the UK government refused.  So not only did Brussels NOT stitch the UK up, but several times in the negotiations Brussels spotted a problem, tried to fix it, and got knocked back. 

Whether it's a stitch up or a **** up, it's probably the fault of the Tories.

Very true.

The problem is, as we're seeing with the handling of the Pandemic, they don't like to be told anything. They particularly don't like to be told the really obvious flaws in their ideology by those they are trying to 'take back control' from.

Your house is on fire.

Who are you to tell me my house is on fire. Its my house. 

And so on it goes.