Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

36 minutes ago, Norm said:

Although what kind of stuff they were supposed to have in place, when they'd been excluded from discussions and with less than a weeks notice to get shit done, I'm not too sure. 

And that's really the heart of it, isn't it? Many folks were carrying on about the Scottish Parliament's "meaningless" vote against the withdrawal agreement, saying "good, this is a reserved matter", and cheering on Westminster for shutting the SG out of negotations, saying "stay out of it." Now all of a sudden it's the SG's responsibility? :lol: Laughable brass necked two facedness.

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Smithee said:

WM's own fisheries minister didn't even read the last minuteagreement before voting in favour, but it's Holyrood's fault for not being prepared?

Not at all. But Ri Alban asked why the Scottish Government has to do anything. I was just explaining why, despite being given this unholy turd to deal with, deal with it they must. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Not at all. But Ri Alban asked why the Scottish Government has to do anything. I was just explaining why, despite being given this unholy turd to deal with, deal with it they must. 

Not disagreeing with you, following on if anything

More fishing industry Brexit misery. 

https://news.stv.tv/politics/scotlands-biggest-fish-market-a-ghost-town-due-to-brexit

Boris says that all the Fishing Industry's worries about the extra red tape will disappear as soon as they start getting their increased quotas.

He actually promised them "El Dorado"

The mythical city "paved with gold" that cost the lives of everybody that tried to find it through starvation or disease?

Yep, that place.

UK fishermen can catch as many fish as they want but if they can't sell them to their EU customers then they're not going to get good prices are they?
They'll be working harder for the same (or less) income.

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Boris says that all the Fishing Industry's worries about the extra red tape will disappear as soon as they start getting their increased quotas.

The mythical city "paved with gold" that cost the lives of everybody that tried to find it through starvation or disease?

Yep, that place.

UK fishermen can catch as many fish as they want but if they can't sell them to their EU customers then they're not going to get good prices are they?
They'll be working harder for the same (or less) income.

It's mental. 

"The problem we have here Baldrick, is that due to red tape we're unable to sell all the fish we've caught." 

"Not to worry sir, I have a cunning plan. We'll catch more fish."

4 hours ago, Cade said:

Yep, that place.

Is it possible he promised them "Eldorado"?

As in painful to watch and cancelled after one series?

250px-Eldorado_Logo.jpg

jack D and coke
22 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is it possible he promised them "Eldorado"?

As in painful to watch and cancelled after one series?

250px-Eldorado_Logo.jpg

Boris Johnson as Markus Tandy :lol: 

Liz Truss admits that food shortages in Northern Ireland are due to Brexit.

The Northern Ireland Secretary had claimed that it was purely down to Covid, but Truss let the mask slip and the truth came out a wee bit.

:scenes:

UK refuses to give EU ambassador and other officials based in London full diplomatic status as "The EU is not a nation state", despite EU officials having full diplomat status across most of the world.

We're a petty, pathetic, juvenile nation.

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

UK refuses to give EU ambassador and other officials based in London full diplomatic status as "The EU is not a nation state", despite EU officials having full diplomat status across most of the world.

I'm no fan of Brexit but I can understand this decision. 

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's petty as anything, it's not just most of the world, every single country that has an EU ambassador accords full diplomatic privilege.

Just another sign that the UK now views the EU as a rival/enemy and not a key trading and security partner.

Wonder how long it'll be before we break the exit deal in a race to the bottom and get hammered with tariffs?

On 19/01/2021 at 20:27, Pans Jambo said:

Brexit : the gift that keeps on giving the voters what they voted for -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55530721

Imports from overseas have always been liable to import duty / VAT but now UK consumers are just realising what this means , being hit with this and additional charges from courier firms who have had to pay millions for the  additional bureaucracy and are passing this on to consumers. Go brexit !! 

Love this comment :

"For providing this service, [HMRC] intend to charge a fee to every company in the world in every country in the world which exports to the UK," said Dutch Bike Bits on its website.

"Clearly this is ludicrous for one country, but imagine if every country in the world had the same idea.

"If every country decided to behave in the same way, then we would have to pay 195 fees every year, keep up with the changes in taxation law for 195 different countries, keep accounts on behalf of 195 different countries and submit payments to 195 tax offices in 195 different countries, and jump through whatever hoops were required to prove that we were doing all of this honestly and without any error."

Dutch Bike Bits said it had many customers within the UK and would like to be able to trade with them.

"Not being able to send parcels to the UK does not work in any way in our favour and it is not what we wanted," the firm added.

"If you're angry about this, and you may well be so, please contact your elected representative in the UK."

13 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nissan confirm they will remain in Sunderland due to Brexit deal - 6000 jobs safe 👍

huzzah !

Or in other words, "phew, at least Nissan didn't also bail, time to spin this as a BIG BREXIT WIN! 🤩"

No really, that's exactly what the PM is doing:

But knowing his usual level of preparedness, he's not even hoping people don't read down the article to where it says:

image.png.bcf1a26053f22901f0647c78aa6cb74b.png

...because he won't have read the article either :lol:

Konrad von Carstein
44 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

🤩"

Well that was disappointing :lol:

Edited by Konrad von Carstein
Because technically challenged

10 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Well that was disappointing :lol:

You mean hanging by fingernails to maintain an auto industry status quo—an industry that had shrunk by more than 2/3 in the UK from what it was at the time of the Brexit referendum—doesn't call for a “huzzah”? :sad:

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

Nissan confirm they will remain in Sunderland due to Brexit deal - 6000 jobs safe 👍

huzzah ! 

FFS 😁😁😁

“The UK auto industry collapsing by 71% since I voted for Brexit, even inclusive of Nissan remaining in Sunderland, is good news.” –manaliveits105, 2021

Guess that's where we are now. :lol:

WorldChampions1902

“we are going to need to see a lot more investment in battery production in the UK if we are to preserve the UK as a car manufacturer and exporter," said Professor David Bailey of Warwick University.

Given the above statement, and the deal we have with the EU that states quite clearly it’s expectations on a “level playing field”, a couple of questions spring to mind.

1. What will happen if the U.K. government decides to invest £Multi millions in car battery development to support the car manufacturing industry? Level Playing Field??

2. What would Nissan say if that happens after they have sunk millions into that new production at Sunderland?

3. How would the EU view point 1 and what sanctions would they retaliate with?

4. Given all of the above, looking at long term investment in car manufacturing, why would any producer choose to build later models in the U.K? The answer is they wouldn’t and they won’t IMHO, because there is too much uncertainty as to how any U.K. government will behave which could seriously hurt their export capabilities.

To sum up, whilst there are many immediately visible negative consequences of Leaving, the most dramatic ones will take much, much longer to become obvious. The U.K. car industry is just one of hundreds of such examples. Such scenarios have been described as the  “slow puncture effect”. As far as that industry is concerned, the nail has only just lodged itself in the tread and the above points are a few of the issues that represent the imperceptible sound of hissing.

Hopefully that has burst a few bubbles on here.

Konrad von Carstein
50 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

You mean hanging by fingernails to maintain an auto industry status quo—an industry that had shrunk by more than 2/3 in the UK from what it was at the time of the Brexit referendum—doesn't call for a “huzzah”? :sad:

Couldn't get a gif to embed, on my phone, a deflating balloon :lol:

Another self own by John Bull's lapdug...With some xenophobic name calling thrown in...

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

10 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Another self own by John Bull's lapdug...With some xenophobic name calling thrown in...

The Brexiteer brand wouldn't be complete without it :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Couldn't get a gif to embed, on my phone, a deflating balloon :lol:

How about a metaphor for the quality of the poster in question's contributions?

tenor.gif

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

tenor.gif

:lol:

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

tenor.gif

:lol:

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

aw yankee google went to town again 

its still good news though :greggy: 

Good news that its not shutting? Yes I suppose it is for the local area and their families.

But why were they even considering it in the first place? What was the need?

Brexit is slightly less shite now? is that the good news?

Answers on a postcard.

43 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

“we are going to need to see a lot more investment in battery production in the UK if we are to preserve the UK as a car manufacturer and exporter," said Professor David Bailey of Warwick University.

Given the above statement, and the deal we have with the EU that states quite clearly it’s expectations on a “level playing field”, a couple of questions spring to mind.

1. What will happen if the U.K. government decides to invest £Multi millions in car battery development to support the car manufacturing industry? Level Playing Field??

2. What would Nissan say if that happens after they have sunk millions into that new production at Sunderland?

3. How would the EU view point 1 and what sanctions would they retaliate with?

4. Given all of the above, looking at long term investment in car manufacturing, why would any producer choose to build later models in the U.K? The answer is they wouldn’t and they won’t IMHO, because there is too much uncertainty as to how any U.K. government will behave which could seriously hurt their export capabilities.

To sum up, whilst there are many immediately visible negative consequences of Leaving, the most dramatic ones will take much, much longer to become obvious. The U.K. car industry is just one of hundreds of such examples. Such scenarios have been described as the  “slow puncture effect”. As far as that industry is concerned, the nail has only just lodged itself in the tread and the above points are a few of the issues that represent the imperceptible sound of hissing.

Hopefully that has burst a few bubbles on here.

"Slow puncture effect".

That'll help my kids future in this shitty island ran by millionaire arseholes!

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

Good news that its not shutting? Yes I suppose it is for the local area and their families.

Oh yeeeeaahhhh, and I'd forgotten about this:

Nissan was offered secret state aid to cope with Brexit, minister concedes

The business secretary has been forced to admit the existence of a previously secret package of state aid to Nissan that could have been worth up to £80m had the carmaker gone ahead with plans to manufacture a new model X-Trail in Sunderland after Brexit.

Greg Clark released a letter dated October 2016 in which he pledged tens of millions of taxpayer support and promised the Japanese company it would not be “adversely affected” after the UK left the EU.

Yet, at the time the commitments were first made, Downing Street had said “there was no special deal for Nissan” and Clark refused six times to answer a question about what was on offer when interviewed on the BBC. He even appeared to suggest no money was involved. Asked on BBC One’s Question Time about the deal, he said: “There’s no chequebook. I don’t have a chequebook.”

By spending tens of millions in taxpayer money, they managed to save a few jobs in the auto industry, fast sinking though it is nonetheless due to self-inflicted Brexit lunacy.

Huzzah! 🥳

manaliveits105
2 hours ago, Justin Z said:

“The UK auto industry collapsing by 71% since I voted for Brexit, even inclusive of Nissan remaining in Sunderland, is good news.” –manaliveits105, 2021

Guess that's where we are now. :lol:

you should be ashamed of yourself voting for Brexit - I certainly did not but we are where we are now and have to get on with it 

nice to see your wee groupies hanging on your every slaver though 

:cornette_dog:

LOLWUT | Know Your Meme

On 20/01/2021 at 22:19, manaliveits105 said:

try and learn to live with it and not resort to insults 

you will feel a lot better for it .

tenor.gif?itemid=7222166

Edited by Justin Z

6 hours ago, Justin Z said:

:rofl:

Most brexitons wouldn't have a clue what he's talking about. 

I had hoped he'd explain how UK citizens in NI can apply for EU passports and retain their freedom of movement rights (while the rest of us are fecked, obviously) but when you've got Tory MPs tweeting the world that any Brit can apply for an Irish passport you can see why it took SO long to "get a deal". 

30 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Meanwhile in the sunny uplands of the fishing world .....

Happy to ruin many other people's hopes and dreams because he thought it would benefit his family and his industry. Don't have any sympathy for him.

9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Happy to ruin many other people's hopes and dreams because he thought it would benefit his family and his industry. Don't have any sympathy for him.

...while ignoring expert advice to the contrary. Sounds oddly familiar 🤔

49 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Meanwhile in the sunny uplands of the fishing world .....

tough feckin titty

He knew what he was voting for.

Prick.

WorldChampions1902
9 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

"Slow puncture effect".

That'll help my kids future in this shitty island ran by millionaire arseholes!

The slow puncture effect in the financial services sector is well underway. Mind boggling sums involved and when the dust settles in a few years time, I fear what the total cost to us all will be.

They knew what they voted for.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/20/brexit-has-driven-2500-finance-jobs-and-170bn-to-france-says-bank-governor?fbclid=IwAR2Hnc2g8QIX3-609XDaVL6TFqiHoIGz8FzDVQbr7n4OMVx8FHIJU6MoSco

6 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I had hoped he'd explain how UK citizens in NI can apply for EU passports and retain their freedom of movement rights (while the rest of us are fecked, obviously) but when you've got Tory MPs tweeting the world that any Brit can apply for an Irish passport you can see why it took SO long to "get a deal". 

EU passports?  Like, one of these?

th?id=OIP.azZkGirFvswlWd3dJf7uygAAAA%26p

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The slow puncture effect in the financial services sector is well underway. Mind boggling sums involved and when the dust settles in a few years time, I fear what the total cost to us all will be.

They knew what they voted for.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/20/brexit-has-driven-2500-finance-jobs-and-170bn-to-france-says-bank-governor?fbclid=IwAR2Hnc2g8QIX3-609XDaVL6TFqiHoIGz8FzDVQbr7n4OMVx8FHIJU6MoSco

I just don’t understand what has happened here tbh. Who is benefiting? It’s a slowly unfolding fecking disaster...

Id like to see odds on us rejoining in the next year or so tbh. 

12 hours ago, Taffin said:

I don't get the vitriolic attitude towards people who voted brexit. The Johnson and Farage, Yes, but not someone who thinks it's what's best for his family. 

Please don't tell me folk would rather go bust than make someone else go bust. Bollox, you protect your own first and always. 

I'm glad for the people of Sunderland they don't get put thro what many towns in Scotland went thro, when Companies left them and Thatcher didn't put other things in place to keep folk from despair. 

13 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

See if I was a Unionist PM who didn't want Scotland to leave, I'd have negotiated with EU for Scotland to retain what NI have retained. It would have put The SNP on the back foot for a bit and made it really difficult to argue for indyref 2. But hey, thank feck we have English nationalism at the top table of Wm. 

If we must have border checks England and Wales vs the EU.27. 🤔

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I don't get the vitriolic attitude towards people who voted brexit. The Johnson and Farage, Yes, but not someone who thinks it's what's best for his family. 

Not having sympathy for someone is hardly vitriolic.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Please don't tell me folk would rather go bust than make someone else go bust. Bollox, you protect your own first and always. 

He wasn't about to go bust. He just wanted more. 

Fishermen got greedy, all they were thinking of was getting more and more quota and profit and they never thought it through.

Now they're able to catch more fish, but they're getting less for it so all that's ended up is that they're working harder for less gain.

We told them so.

They refused to listen.

We told them so again.

They did a silly wee flotilla down the Thames with Kate Hoey and Nigel Farage.

We told them so yet again.

They voted leave.

Now the cold dawn of reality is hitting them.

Feck 'em.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I do.

It's interesting to contrast the arguments on here for brexit and for/against independence. 

One had literally no cost benefit analysis done* (in fact, not a single economic argument was ever put forward other than unicorns like fish & "trade deals" , but emotion  won the day. 

Now, compare it to the independence debate. 

That should tell you all you need to know. 

* Even when  businesses warned voters it was in UKs best interests to stay, that advice was ignored. 

WorldChampions1902
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Remember the farmer who relied on Eastern European countries labour to pick his crop? On the C4 Dispatches programme he conceded that voting for Brexit would mean he would be out of business. One of the quotes, David Figgis said he voted for what he thinks is “better for my country” but added: “Personally, it’s a disaster.”

Not quite in tune with your point, but that is a special type of person. He was so conned, that he was willing to vote for likely having to wind up has family business in order to “benefit” his country. I struggle to make sense of that, like much of Brexiteer thinking. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-backing-fruit-farmer-shares-fears-after-voting-leave-despite-relying-on-eastern-european-labour-a4111936.html

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Cade said:

Fishermen got greedy, all they were thinking of was getting more and more quota and profit and they never thought it through.

Now they're able to catch more fish, but they're getting less for it so all that's ended up is that they're working harder for less gain.

We told them so.

They refused to listen.

We told them so again.

They did a silly wee flotilla down the Thames with Kate Hoey and Nigel Farage.

We told them so yet again.

They voted leave.

Now the cold dawn of reality is hitting them.

Feck 'em.

This. All day long.