Brexit Deal agreed ( updated )

jumpship

54 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

We have no idea what we have done! 31st December cheese and ham sandwich no problem. 1st January big problem. 
In one respect I feel sorry for the voters who voted leave they were lied to by the likes of Gove, Johnson the ERG and Farage. 
I do suspect that there will be a movement to rejoin once the reality begins to bight home that they were lied to big time

I don't share your optimism that Brexit supporters will have a change of heart.

People don't like admitting they were wrong or hoodwinked to themselves, let alone others. So as it becomes increasingly apparent that there are no unicorns frolicking on the sunlit uplands, they will suffer in silence with their cognitive dissonance rather than admit they made an almighty blunder.

And the racists who supported it won't care about bad outcomes, they'll just be happy free movement has ended.

• Replies 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• ri Alban

• Cade

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/01/2021 at 18:36, Ulysses said:

Does anyone happen to know what the UK VAT rate on sex arses is?

Asking for a friend, obvs.

No idea. Surely he’ll have to take a COVID test at least to avoid having to self isolate at Turnberry though. Maybe depends wether he’s officially president at that time or not. 

30 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

And the racists who supported it won't care about bad outcomes, they'll just be happy free movement has ended.

I wonder if they’d be up for picking fruit and veg as there won’t be any Eastern European’s now to do it. 😬 

While I fully appreciate, it's very early days. The new rules will take time to bed in, and we're very much in a lull in volume of freight moving between the UK and EU, so far it's not really been the predicted meltdown, has it? Sex arses and British expats no longer getting Sky TV aside.

On 11/01/2021 at 08:05, ri Alban said:

So all companies from the EU exporting to the UK have 6 months to get everything bedded in and UK companies don't. 

I matters not what way you voted, that's a fecking incredible piece of stupidity from Boris' negotiating team. 

The general pattern is the UK wanted to 'get Brexit done'. They were offered a lot of transitional options.

The main limit where some arrangements are being brought in  is where IT systems aren't ready.

Fresh fish prices in the Scottish fish markets have dropped by up to 80%.

The extra bureaucracy and red tape is meaning delays in getting catches to their final destination, so it's not fresh any more.

Buyers are abandoning the UK market and are buying French or Dutch instead.

If these "teething troubles" are sorted and we can get back to reducing travel times to a day or so, there is no guarantee the custom will come back if they're pleased with the French and Dutch produce.

:turmoil:

Edited by Cade

WorldChampions1902
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Fresh fish prices in the Scottish fish markets have dropped by up to 80%.

The extra bureaucracy and red tape is meaning delays in getting catches to their final destination, so it's not fresh any more.

Buyers are abandoning the UK market and are buying French or Dutch instead.

If these "teething troubles" are sorted and we can get back to reducing travel times to a day or so, there is no guarantee the custom will come back if they're pleased with the French and Dutch produce.

:turmoil:

I have little sympathy. The majority in the fishing industry voted to Leave and Remoaners were labelled scaremongers for pointing out the consequences of their folly. Those in the fishing industry that voted to Remain have my sympathy (yes there WERE some).

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

Wife is fuming. She's just found she can't get Radio Brandenburg through Alexa anymore. 

We knew what we were voting for!
😂

jack D and coke
43 minutes ago, RobboM said:

😂

Tbf nobody knew. I was pretty pro brexit in the beginning when it all started. I ended up not voting as towards the end I was seriously swaying towards remain the more and more I found out. The EU was far from perfect but leaving and with what looks like a very poor deal looks insanity. It does need time to calm down but what a ***** it seems they’ve made of it. 
An unprepared shambles. 

54 minutes ago, RobboM said:

😂

Ach, to be fair to leavers, I can't imagine too many were fussed with losing foreign radio stations. 

On 10/01/2021 at 18:39, Dawnrazor said:

Some Bacardi Breezers and a kebeb usually. 

Is that what they call them round Morningside is it?

On 11/01/2021 at 21:56, gjcc said:

No idea. Surely he’ll have to take a COVID test at least to avoid having to self isolate at Turnberry though. Maybe depends wether he’s officially president at that time or not. 

Oh, I didn't mean THAT kind of sex arse.  :eek:

On 10/01/2021 at 23:05, Lone Striker said:

Out of interest, do all the big supermarkets in NI have warehouses in the RoI   ?   Would it seem feasible (or likely)  that they'll start supplying their NI warehouses from RoI warehouses ?   

If the logistics of shipping from UK to NI remain problematic  for another few weeks, you'd think supermarkets  wouldn't put up with it and  find other solutions.   

Sorry, I missed this.  Tesco, Lidl and Aldi do, and there are a couple of Irish chains with warehouses in the Republic.  Asda, Sainsbury's, Co-Op and M&S (AFAIK) don't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55632071

Brexit red tape is likely to increase food supply chain costs, the Food and Drink Federation has warned.

Those costs will either be passed on to consumers or absorbed by retailers, the industry group said.

Hmmm

Wonder if the costs will be absorbed by the retailers?

20 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

This chap is getting sick of having his cake and eating it.

Why his cake and eating it?

Did he vote for Brexit?

Genuine question.

6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Why his cake and eating it?

Did he vote for Brexit?

Genuine question.

Just referencing Johnson's famous quote that Brexit would let Britain have its cake and eat it, a claim he reiterated after the deal was agreed.

The fisherman says he didn't vote in the referendum.

3 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Just referencing Johnson's famous quote that Brexit would let Britain have its cake and eat it, a claim he reiterated after the deal was agreed.

The fisherman says he didn't vote in the referendum.

Ahhh.. gotcha.

Brexit is gonna **** most of us apart from the rich.

Hope these dicks in the North of England have been saving their benefits.

jack D and coke
19 minutes ago, Cade said:

UK Fisheries Minister didn't even read the deal, as she was off on a Nativity Trail with her kids.

:cornette:

You have got to be kidding me? :lol: 

Konrad von Carstein

Have to say that I have my doubts as to whether she would have understood it and offered any useful critique of the document had she read it...the "talent" we have as MPs is depressing

The seafood industry is being described as the “canary in the coalmine”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/business_hq/19009258.1m-scottish-seafood-exports-lost-day-amid-brexit-chaos/?fbclid=IwAR0sdtKkCeX2ojRhXxRfsKnT2iQkRLWY8461ucvdES9hfHjs8Kt4Avs2m-Q

I watched Cornwall : A Fishing Life last night. It was of particular interest to me as it focussed on Newlyn and I was born and brought up just a mile away. It covered the run up to Brexit 2018/19. Overwhelmingly the fishermen were in favour of Brexit despite making it clear that they had benefited greatly from the increased EU market for fish which used to be just used to bait crab pots. individual grants for various fishing boat equipment and a Regional development grant worth millions to redevelop and expand the port facilities. Some of the most prominent spokesmen for the fishing industry featured, lobbying parliament and media. As the prgramme finished well before the final deal (everyone who voted for Brexit knew what they were voting for surely), I thought I'd see what the reaction was. The spokesman featured on the programme was Paul Trebilcock. Here's an article from Cornwall Live.

The Cornish Fish Producers' Organisation CEO, Paul Trebilcock, said of the deal: “We’ve had our expectations continually raised by the Prime Minister, and MPs, for years now.

"Promises of full and absolute control of our waters and better fishing opportunities have been made time and time again only to be shattered at the final moment.

"For Government to say this is a good deal is hugely disappointing, it is certainly not the deal we were led to believe we would receive, and it has left Cornish fishermen feeling angry and insulted.”

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/cornwall-mps-urged-oppose-brexit-4840169

Well, we DO have more control of our waters and an increased catch quota. Promise kept.

Nobody said anything about the extra red tape, delays in getting produce to market or our EU customers not buying all that extra fish.

The devil is in the details, darlings!

Boris can ***** about with the Royal Navy chasing French ships out of the English Channel all he likes, but is he going to sail into Boulogne harbour and force them to buy the UK fish at gunpoint too???

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Well, we DO have more control of our waters and an increased catch quota. Promise kept.

Nobody said anything about the extra red tape, delays in getting produce to market or our EU customers not buying all that extra fish.

The devil is in the details, darlings!

Boris can ***** about with the Royal Navy chasing French ships out of the English Channel all he likes, but is he going to sail into Boulogne harbour and force them to buy the UK fish at gunpoint too???

Pretty sure folk did mention the red tape and delays, the just chose to ignore it. All about taking back control. Yippee. 

There will be an element of 'You can't bring your cheese & hm snadwich into our country' about it, no doubt.  The paperwork will be a bit more onerous I'm sure but in time will be just part of the process, and will be forgotten.  The tariffs and their effect on folks buying the fish in the EU will be market-driven.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, pablo said:

Maybe we should be a bit more adventurous in the fish we eat? 

As an island nation we really hardly touch the produce from our waters.  As an aside I wonder what the SNP government have done with the £200million given to them by Westminster to ease financial pressures on business after Brexit. 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

As an island nation we really hardly touch the produce from our waters.  As an aside I wonder what the SNP government have done with the £200million given to them by Westminster to ease financial pressures on business after Brexit. 

I think I read in one of the many recent articles on the fishing industry that the UK is actually a net importer of fish. All we generally eat is imported cod, salmon and tuna, while we export all our mackerel and shellfish etc.

Edited by pablo

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, pablo said:

I think I read in one of the many recent articles on the fishing industry that the UK is actually a net importer of fish. It's just that all we generally eat is cod, salmon and tuna.

Exactly all the wonderful produce is ignored/exported. We have some of the best shellfish in the world around the west coast and you'd be doing well to see langoustine anywhere in the shops. 

There'll be plenty of cheap seafood hitting the shops as fishermen desperately sell off their catches for pennies just to bring something in.

Catch more fish, but sell it for less......so what was the point?

WorldChampions1902
14 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Ahhh.. gotcha.

Brexit is gonna **** most of us apart from the rich.

Hope these dicks in the North of England have been saving their benefits.

Given the huge dependency on places like Sunderland on car manufacturing, I was absolutely gobsmacked that they voted in such vast numbers to Leave.

If we had left with No Deal, Just in Time Delivery was impossible crippling car manufacturing. Even with a Deal, there would be huge question marks over the impact of Rules of Origin as well as the likelihood of manufacturers deciding to shift future new models to factories outside of the UK.

These remain a clear and present danger. And yet “they knew what they voted for”. Astonishing.

"Has the Prime Minister read the full text of the deal?"
"The PM is fully aware of the contents of the deal"
"The question was, has he read it? Have other Minsters read it?"
"Ministers are fully aware of the contents of the deal"

So, in other words, no.

14 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Given the huge dependency on places like Sunderland on car manufacturing, I was absolutely gobsmacked that they voted in such vast numbers to Leave.

If we had left with No Deal, Just in Time Delivery was impossible crippling car manufacturing. Even with a Deal, there would be huge question marks over the impact of Rules of Origin as well as the likelihood of manufacturers deciding to shift future new models to factories outside of the UK.

These remain a clear and present danger. And yet “they knew what they voted for”. Astonishing.

Good marketing by the rich Tories.

Turkeys.... Christmas....etc....

My understanding is the Britain's economy is held up by the finance industry. Once that goes, the rest (What's left) will crumple even further.

4 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

My understanding is the Britain's economy is held up by the finance industry. Once that goes, the rest (What's left) will crumple even further.

Hmmm - I wonder how much the finance sector will be impacted by the deal that Johnson has delivered?

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Hmmm - I wonder how much the finance sector will be impacted by the deal that Johnson has delivered?

They will probably be fine for while.

I'm assuming they will sell of the NHS and then tighten up their off-shore accounts, then the real shit will start hitting the fan.

Then the taxes start to rocket for the "normal" folks.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Good marketing by the rich Tories.

Turkeys.... Christmas....etc....

Even that made little sense. Every euro traded used to go through London and over 300 companies have moved their money out of the city its mega billions of losses. 
What the feck is going on here...

Who is benefitting? 
What’s the odds on us quickly going back in? 

16 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Even that made little sense. Every euro traded used to go through London and over 300 companies have moved their money out of the city its mega billions of losses. 
What the feck is going on here...

Who is benefitting? 
What’s the odds on us quickly going back in? 

Think of Britain as a company about to go into Administration.  Then think of the Tories as Mike Ashley.

They will sell off all of Britain's assets.  NHS, Power Supply, any resources, labour etc...

They will then move all that money to the Cayman Islands, or some other tax haven run by England (that the EU are clamping down on) and then they will **** off. 

Out of the top 15 tax havens in the World.  England owns 5 of them.  Seychelles, Bermuda, Cayman Isles, Jersey and the British Virgin Islands

Where do you think the Tories (and other rich people) hide their money?

Next question is, what would the rich people do with their money if the EU kept banning tax havens owned by the English?

Edited by Lovecraft

https://www.taxjustice.net/press/new-ranking-reveals-corporate-tax-havens-behind-breakdown-of-global-corporate-tax-system-toll-of-uks-tax-war-exposed/

Of the 10 jurisdictions whose tax systems received the highest corporate tax haven scores for enabling corporate tax avoidance, 8 are part of the UK network: the British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, the Isle of Man, Turks and Caicos, Anguilla, Jersey, and Guernsey.

Nearly 14 per cent of foreign direct investment reported by the International Monetary Fund – over $6 trillion – is booked in the UK network, where the lowest available corporate tax rates averaged 1.73 per cent.

World Tax War: The UK is responsible for over a third of the world’s corporate tax avoidance risk

The Corporate Tax Haven Index documents a corrosive corporate tax war waged by the UK against the ordinary citizens of rich and poor countries through a network of satellite jurisdictions to which the UK has outsourced some of its corporate tax havenry.6 While the UK ranks 13th on the index, its Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies dominate the top of index. The British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Jersey ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 7th respectively. Bahamas, a British Commonwealth territory, ranks in 9th.

Edited by Lovecraft

2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

What difference did the deal make to just in time delivery? The deal covered quotas and tariffs, the customs formalities are the same with the deal as they would have been without one.

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Now the EU can't tell them what to do with their tax havens.

Yeah I have read a few things about brexit being about the EU clamping down on these. 
Jeez...and we bought it. 

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, pablo said:

What difference did the deal make to just in time delivery? The deal covered quotas and tariffs, the customs formalities are the same with the deal as they would have been without one.

Read what I said again. I specified In the event of No Deal.

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Read what I said again. I specified In the event of No Deal.

Maybe I'm missing something? The customs formalities required for importing and exporting goods between the UK and the EU right now, are the same as if with we had left with No Deal.